PDA

View Full Version : LCSO hires ex-DCF worker

05-28-2009, 12:15 PM
A former Department of Children and Families investigator known for botching a case that ended in the murder of 13-year-old Michelle Fontanez now is working for the sheriff's office.

Erica Cesare resigned from DCF in 2006 pending disciplinary action. At the time, the department cited negligence, misconduct and conduct unbecoming of a public employee.

Cesare, 31, is a trainee officer in corrections for Lee County Sheriff's Office, earning roughly $35,000 in taxpayer-funded salary.

The sheriff's office also paid Cesare $15 an hour to study for about 15 weeks to become an officer and covered her $1,900 tuition.

Cesare's return to the public service sector does not sit well with Michelle's aunt, Renea Fontanez, 42.

"We thought it was over, and now it's another smack on the face to our family," Fontanez said by phone from Massachusetts. "How do these things happen? ... It just makes no sense."

A social worker had told Cesare that Michelle was afraid to go home because her stepfather was sexually abusing her, to which Cesare reportedly quipped: "Not my problem."

The Lehigh Acres girl had told child-protection officials that Alberto Hernandez had been abusing her since she was 5.

Days later, Michelle was found unconscious by her mother in their home.

Hernandez pleaded guilty to first-degree murder and aggravated child abuse last month in the 2006 tragedy and was sentenced to life in prison.

Cesare could not be reached for comment and her phone number was redacted from her employment application.

Sheriff's Sgt. Larry King said Cesare was forthcoming about the Fontanez case and no problems were unearthed during their background check.

"That came up during the interview," King said. "She was always forthright with that. ... We did a background check and there were no criminal charges as far as Michelle Fontanez."

Cesare's application shows she checked boxes "no" when asked if she ever had been dismissed, asked to resign, subject to disciplinary action, or left a job by agreement after misconduct allegations.

On the latter question, she wrote: "I resigned from my position ... following the completion of a quality assurance investigation of which the recommendations were not directed towards myself."

A DCF spokeswoman said the agency was planning action before Cesare resigned.

"Ms. Cesare resigned in lieu of disciplinary action/termination," Jan Gregory, a regional deputy director, wrote by e-mail.

While Cesare is not named in the June 2006 DCF report on Michelle's case, it does conclude the investigator failed to measure the risk to the child on five points such as questioning the girl's credibility, even after consistent allegations of sexual abuse.

King said Cesare's role in the Fontanez case was considered before the sheriff's office hired her while noting her current job - caring for and supervising inmates - is worlds away from DCF.

"It's not even an apples-to-apples comparison to what she's doing now," King said. "It's not anything like her former position. It's definitely a team effort there."

Cesare is about halfway through field training under a supervisor, King said.

The agency hired Cesare in November under its corrections academy sponsorship with the goal of recruiting more officers.

Cookie Coleman, who heads DCF operations in this area, would not comment on the hiring because Cesare worked at the agency before Coleman came onboard in the fall of 2007 in the midst of turmoil.

Along with Michelle, two other children known to the agency died between 2006 to 2008.

"This occurred before I came in and I'm unaware of the specifics of the circumstances," Coleman said. "I really don't comment on things I don't know."

Michelle's death spurred outcry and broad agency changes such as better training on sexual abuse investigations.

King said Cesare's college degree and people skills factored into the hiring decision. Her application shows she received a bachelor's degree in criminal and social justice.

The sergeant said he could not be more specific as to why Cesare was hired because he was not present during hiring interviews.

05-28-2009, 12:29 PM
LCSO,

My situation is simular to Ms. Cesare and I was wondering if you could help. I just got out of prison will you hire me too?? I only plead guilty because my Public Defender said I would get more time if I took my case to trial and was found guilty. It's great to see an organization like LCSO give second chances in this recession. I know that there are hundreds of qualified people geting out of the military that you could have hired but its great to see you will look past ones mistakes to find that diamond in the ruff. LCSO you are a class act!

Your the best,
Bubba

05-28-2009, 01:15 PM
I’m confused; let me get some facts straight.
The Sheriff hires Erica Caesar (The son of Hilton Daniels pilot Bobby Godwin’s Girlfriend) who we proved through our Sheriff’s Office MCU investigation that she was the cause of Michelle Fontanez’s death for failure to protect and she resigns from DCF before getting fired.

1. Scott Caresi allegedly (no documentation) does not answer a few of the Sheriff’s phone calls and is demoted with 21,000 taken from him. The Sheriff originally said Scott was demoted due to reorganization than changed his story in Civil Service.

1. Dominic Farrente is forced to a polygraph without and an investigation that he asked for on several occassions and then told to resign or be fired before noon that day (it just so happens that the audio of the polygraph didn’t work and no report was completed to prove he failed it and he is not allowed to present this evidence to the Civil service board)

3. Lee Buschong is demoted for saying the word ass in an e-mail and then fired for calling his friend a ***** off duty.

4. The Sheriff said Chief Farrente was retiring with an impeccable career one day and then suspends him after he retires for yelling at Bell 4 months prior.

5. Willie Rivera makes racist comments to his 2 supervisors but only get a CC.

I don’t know how all of you feel but something is wrong and we better get a union in here fast, it seems the Sheriff is on a power trip and feels he could do whatever he wants without proof or documentation.

karma4all
05-28-2009, 02:29 PM
The Sheriff hires Erica Caesar (The son of Hilton Daniels pilot Bobby Godwin’s Girlfriend) who we proved through our Sheriff’s Office MCU investigation that she was the cause of Michelle Fontanez’s death for failure to protect and she resigns from DCF before getting fired.

1. Scott Caresi allegedly (no documentation) does not answer a few of the Sheriff’s phone calls and is demoted with 21,000 taken from him. The Sheriff originally said Scott was demoted due to reorganization than changed his story in Civil Service.

1. Dominic Farrente is forced to a polygraph without and an investigation that he asked for on several occassions and then told to resign or be fired before noon that day (it just so happens that the audio of the polygraph didn’t work and no report was completed to prove he failed it and he is not allowed to present this evidence to the Civil service board)

3. Lee Buschong is demoted for saying the word ass in an e-mail and then fired for calling his friend a . off duty.

4. The Sheriff said Chief Farrente was retiring with an impeccable career one day and then suspends him after he retires for yelling at Bell 4 months prior.

I don’t know how all of you feel but something is wrong and we better get a union in here fast, it seems the Sheriff is on a power trip and feels he could do whatever he wants without proof or documentation.

I think it's pretty clear that Lee Bushong's hearing has already been done, I know I posted it last night just to stay a head a couple of days..
As for the former DCF worker, That is just a disgrace and Bubba is funny and Right..

05-28-2009, 02:35 PM
LCSO is a joke! You have cops from up north and the sourounding agencies looking for jobs and you hire her! What makes it so bad is LCSO is paying for her to get road certified! I agree with you Union Man however the union can't help you recruit/hire good people!

05-28-2009, 03:22 PM
C1 is going to begin feeling his sense of total control slipping away from him more and more every day. It seems clear he felt the Ferrantes and others close to him were gaining too much strength and control, so he began to distance himself. Who has he surrounded himself with now? Experienced administrators and managers who he pissed all over a few years ago when he passed all of them over for promotion and gave rank and raises to all his road buddies who had never even run an ice cream stand before he was elected. You think these guys are going to have his back?

05-28-2009, 10:55 PM
Jim,

I agree with you to an extent but the truth of the matter is Charlie was watching the Sheriff's back and stopping him from making the stupid mistakes he is making now. Think about it, when Charlie was running things was it as bad as it is now? I see a lot of Charlie bashing yet I bet no one can name one time aside from putting the cry baby bell in his place when he actually mistreated someone, look at what the Sheriff is doing now. I call that fear and intimidation not what Charlie was doing. I know we have people on here that just hate NY's for whatever reason but the truth is Charlie looked out for us more than anyone else did and that is what did him in. Now that he is gone they can play the good ole boy game and do whatever they want without Charlie stopping them. And yes I have been friends with Charlie for years but let's at least call it like we see it. All I ask is to watch and see what happens, the Sheriff can only blame Charlie for so long and then everyone will see his true colors if they haven't already.

05-29-2009, 07:30 AM
We're looking at his downfall. He's nothing more than a friendly face with a winning smile, but no real substance. He plays the aw shucks I'm just an redneck version of Honest Abe bit and everybody buys off on it. say what you will about Shoap, but he always got us raises, right? McDougal too. Are there people here dumb enough to feel good about having a new patrol car, taser, and MDC, but going without a raise? Can your new MDC pay for a nice vacation for you and your girlfriend? I don't think so. Gimme an old shitty car and a raise.

Keep watching kids because things are going to get dumber and dumber.

05-31-2009, 09:22 AM
[quote="Jim Diggity"]We're looking at his downfall. He's nothing more than a friendly face with a winning smile, but no real substance. He plays the aw shucks I'm just an redneck version of Honest Abe bit and everybody buys off on it. say what you will about Shoap, but he always got us raises, right? McDougal too. Are there people here dumb enough to feel good about having a new patrol car, taser, and MDC, but going without a raise? Can your new MDC pay for a nice vacation for you and your girlfriend? I don't think so. Gimme an old shitty car and a raise.

Keep watching kids because things are going to get dumber and dumber.[/quo

He was a probation officer and meter maid who was ELECTED as sheriff of the LCSO! A well spoken, hometown boy with a big smile, and a head the size of baby rhino! :snicker: He loves his job so much he showers in full uniform!Theres no time to be wasted when youre the sheriff! He so dedicated! If only he could remember that he is just one part of a WHOLE agency!I believe that one must earn the respect of his peers through honesty and fairness to all and.................aww shucks firget it!

06-04-2009, 12:20 AM
Political suicide
Re: “Lee County Sheriff’s Office hires ex-DCF worker,” May 28. What demon of defeat has possessed Sheriff Scott? Two years ago I estimated his chances of re-election at 75 percent. Now I estimate it at less than half. Some good candidate will emerge in the primary, waving all of the bad news headlines.

So politics is a game of image and you polish your image, avoiding the land mines. But Mr. Scott seems to encourage land mines and, since the effect is cumulative, it diminishes election chances.

Case in point; this May 28 article about hiring the ex-DCF agent who resigned under a cloud. Now, there is no more reviled agency in this state than DCF, and this worker had reams of negative about a child’s death. So why did Mr. Scott go out of his way to hire this pariah knowing the bad PR that would follow? Is he bent on political suicide or merely receiving bad advice?

We might not have to wait until the next election to find out, which will allow Mr. Scott to add to this land mine collection.
PETER STEWART HARE
Cape Coral :evil:

07-03-2009, 04:42 AM
Marian Scirrotto is a very strange and disturbed woman without a life. Someone, please help her!

3. Lee Buschong is demoted for saying the word ass in an e-mail and then fired for calling his friend a . off duty.

I think it's pretty clear that Lee Bushong's hearing has already been done, I know I posted it last night just to stay a head a couple of days..
As for the former DCF worker, That is just a disgrace and Bubba is funny and Right..

07-03-2009, 11:55 AM
Marian Scirrotto is a very strange and disturbed woman without a life. Someone, please help her!

So which one of you is in her website ???? I never seen it until now and I see why your crying about her, I just had a good laugh!maybe its good that you were stupid enough to bring these dead subjects back up, everyone should go there and see why dommy, fu and pokie whatever (their all the same) are whining about, this little girl has her feelings hurt :( cause karma wrote about them...boo hoo !
get a set will you? no wonder she writes about you, now go get a tissue and blow your nose and dry your eyes

karma4all
07-03-2009, 03:53 PM

[quote="Union Man":34hu82qd]I’m confused; let me get some facts straight.

So which one of you is in her website ???? I never seen it until now and I see why your crying about her, I just had a good laugh!maybe its good that you were stupid enough to bring these dead subjects back up, everyone should go there and see why dommy, fu and pokie whatever (their all the same) are whining about, this little girl has her feelings hurt :( cause karma wrote about them...boo hoo !
get a set will you? no wonder she writes about you, now go get a tissue and blow your nose and dry your eyes[/quote:34hu82qd]

Enjoy your Holiday and be safe..
Marian

07-04-2009, 02:59 PM

[quote="Union Man":2edxvfep]I’m confused; let me get some facts straight.

get a set will you? no wonder she writes about you, now go get a tissue and blow your nose and dry your eyes[/quote:2edxvfep]

I just went there and your right , that is some funny stuff...She hits the nail right on the head with some of these babies and our fearless leader ..
I may not agree with everything she wrote like the F bros but I give the credit for doing it, At least she can show her face, she doesn't have to worry about being fired or demoted for calling out someone, unlike some here who wine and cry about everything and start cat fights on here, your right fear factor if the ones she wrighting about should stoped acting like babies and using this as a personal issue against her. But them here is a thought for her subjects.... Stop doing the wrong shit and she won't have anything to say about you..and trying to call her out here is making you look really bad, you need to get the life, she has your number and knows what buttoms to push and she don't come here acting like a crying idiot

07-06-2009, 11:29 AM
Did anyone else notice the complete silence about this DCF disaster in the media (after the initial story, that is)? It must be nice to have the local media in your pocket like that so you can do whatever you like.

He might be a Palin supporter, but Mike has more in common with Obama when it comes to having the love of the media.

07-25-2009, 09:36 PM
Why dont you idiots look at the facts, you are accusing this girl of killing a child. Why dont you try looking at the person who actually killed the child and blame him?

Blaming this ex-dcf worker for failing to protect a child from death is ridiculas, what you are basically saying is because DCF is there to protect kids they should be blamed for all kids deaths..... now lets look at our side, I flip a drug dealer to get his higher ups, he gets found out and gets killed....do I get into trouble? How about if I drive by a 7-11 when its being robbed and didnt notice it was being robbed, do I get into trouble? Or how about we get blamed for every damn thing that goes wrong in this city, do we get blamed because we werent there at the right time because we were taking a call somewhere else?

I dont know this person personally but I can say that she was prob over worked, and prob did more good then she did harm.... so why dont all you cry babies move on and talk about something that actually has merit?

08-18-2009, 12:56 PM
I personally know this Erica as well and you giving an excuse that she is "over worked." This child asked for help several times and Erica and the rest of DCF failed her. This is not the only family that Erica has destroyed because of her "power" I also have documentation where she falsified her records to suit herself and lied under oath on more than one occasion. I am a bit scared that now she how more power. How many more families will this woman destroy because of her actions. If she didn't care about a child what makes anyone, especially Mike Scott think that she will care about adults. A cop is suppose to "protect" others. Which she has proven on more that one occasion that she can not do that. Also it's very sad that we as taxpayers are paying for her?? Something is VERY wrong with this picture.

08-18-2009, 02:20 PM
Why dont you idiots look at the facts, you are accusing this girl of killing a child. Why dont you try looking at the person who actually killed the child and blame him?

Blaming this ex-dcf worker for failing to protect a child from death is ridiculas, what you are basically saying is because DCF is there to protect kids they should be blamed for all kids deaths..... now lets look at our side, I flip a drug dealer to get his higher ups, he gets found out and gets killed....do I get into trouble? How about if I drive by a 7-11 when its being robbed and didnt notice it was being robbed, do I get into trouble? Or how about we get blamed for every darn thing that goes wrong in this city, do we get blamed because we werent there at the right time because we were taking a call somewhere else?

I dont know this person personally but I can say that she was prob over worked, and prob did more good then she did harm.... so why dont all you cry babies move on and talk about something that actually has merit?

Son, you come across as a really thick headed ignorant *******. You must be a perfect fit for LCSO, bu don't worry if car 1 lets you go, because it sounds like you'll fit right in over at DCF.

karma4all
08-18-2009, 03:43 PM

Blaming this ex-dcf worker for failing to protect a child from death is ridiculas, what you are basically saying is because DCF is there to protect kids they should be blamed for all kids deaths..... now lets look at our side, I flip a drug dealer to get his higher ups, he gets found out and gets killed....do I get into trouble? How about if I drive by a 7-11 when its being robbed and didnt notice it was being robbed, do I get into trouble? Or how about we get blamed for every darn thing that goes wrong in this city, do we get blamed because we werent there at the right time because we were taking a call somewhere else?

I am glad to see this one still running, Just a FYI, another one of her DCF cases has been threw up of the courts because of her lies on her reports, The mom sat in jail for a very long time based on her lies, Erica tried to put the child up for adoption only days after taking the child...Well: Justice was served and they now live Happily ever after..

If I were that mom, I sue her personally for damages ! Then I would file a report for criminal false statements.

07-11-2014, 02:13 AM
I believe this Erica is the person trying to adopt my 2 kids who she is fostering in her home. Does anyone know her last name please. She has made up lies and stole a perfectly healthy 2 day old infant.