PDA

View Full Version : New Sgts now make more than Old Sgts

05-11-2009, 02:24 PM
Your Florida legislature capped the salary reductions at $45,000 to prevent newer officers from making more than officers senior to them. Unfortunately,

they did not consider the effect the salary cuts would have on promotions. Practically any Officer that promotes to Sergeant this year, will now be making $2000-$3000 more than a current Sergeant that may have as much as 10 years in grade. How would you like to train a guy that is making that much more than you are? NICE :o

05-11-2009, 02:58 PM
How about an Officer that makes more than a Lt.? Sgts that make more than a Lt.? How about an Lt. that makes more than a Cpt.? If you as a Sgt. make more than anyone that supervises you shouldn't your pay be cut so that does not happen, or just give them a raise?

Get over it life is not fair.

The whole pay structure needs to be redone. A supervisor should make 10% more than the highest paid person that they supervise. There should never be higher paid Officers than their supervisors. I guess once we get rid of these folks that got steps in the past that the pay structure will fix it's self.

Besides you will not make less than $45,000 if you are making more than that now, a new Sgt. starts at $40,000 and some change. If they are making $34,000 which is about average for our Officers and they get a 10% raise at promotion they would only be making $37,400.

Math, they taught it in school, use it.

05-11-2009, 03:41 PM
Your Florida legislature capped the salary reductions at $45,000 to prevent newer officers from making more than officers senior to them. Unfortunately,

they did not consider the effect the salary cuts would have on promotions. Practically any Officer that promotes to Sergeant this year, will now be making $2000-$3000 more than a current Sergeant that may have as much as 10 years in grade. How would you like to train a guy that is making that much more than you are? NICE :o

hmm new sgts make around 40k, and if a sgt was making 45k minus 2%, that equals a $900 pay cut. Thats still above the new sgts pay. Now a 2% pay cut absolutely stinks for anybody, but dont exaggerate the facts cause it makes you look even dumber than you probably are.

05-11-2009, 06:38 PM
$39,200 X .15 = $5880

$39,200 + $5880 = $45,080

AS YOU CAN SEE, ANY OFFICERTHAT MAKES $39,200 AT THIS TIME AND PROMOTES THIS YEAR, WILL NOW BE MAKING MORE THAN SOME CURRENT SERGEANTS.

$44,800 X .15 = $6720

$44,800 + $6720 = $51,520

WHERE ARE YOU GETTING THAT NEW SERGEANT'S MAKE $40,000? WHEN AN OFFICER PROMOTES TO SERGEANT HE GETS A 15% PAY RAISE, REGARDLESS OF WHAT HIS CURRENT SALARY IS? YOU ARE VERY MUCH MISINFORMED ABOUT WHAT YOUR SUPERVISORS MAKE.

05-11-2009, 08:51 PM
where the heck do you come up with 39k, only officers with over 20 years here make that. everyone else make the same 33k down to 31k starting.

05-11-2009, 09:54 PM
$39,200 X .15 = $5880

$39,200 + $5880 = $45,080

AS YOU CAN SEE, ANY OFFICERTHAT MAKES $39,200 AT THIS TIME AND PROMOTES THIS YEAR, WILL NOW BE MAKING MORE THAN SOME CURRENT SERGEANTS.

$44,800 X .15 = $6720

$44,800 + $6720 = $51,520

WHERE ARE YOU GETTING THAT NEW SERGEANT'S MAKE $40,000? WHEN AN OFFICER PROMOTES TO SERGEANT HE GETS A 15% PAY RAISE, REGARDLESS OF WHAT HIS CURRENT SALARY IS? YOU ARE VERY MUCH MISINFORMED ABOUT WHAT YOUR SUPERVISORS MAKE.

the only way your scenario works is with officers that have over 20 years here.

05-12-2009, 12:31 AM
There is a post on this board that you can use to find out what people make. The newest Sgts only make a little over $39,000. There are Officers that have been here over 20 years and only make just over $36,000. The original poster has no idea what they are talking about and shows the caliber of person that is sometimes hired and promoted by this department further proving it's not what you know but who you......................

Plus if an officer has been here 20+ years it is not very likely that they want to promote and have to go back to the interstates to work and deal with all the crap a Sgt puts up with.

Can we please get the OP drug tested, they must be smoking something that clouds their reasoning ability.

Brains, we were all born with one, some just refuse to learn to use their's.

05-12-2009, 05:20 PM
everyone else make the same 33k down to 31k starting.

WOW! This is hideous. I didn't know you guys were paid so crappy. I think the maintenance janitor or security guard at the rest area make that much and they aren't LEO. The smallest PD departments in the state start out making more than that? Your job must be pretty cake to keep doing it for such poverty wages. I wouldn't stand for it. I can make $31,000 a year picking strawberries :snicker:

Clermont police officers are entering the new year with a very favorable contract finally bringing them up to parity with neighboring jurisdictions. The improvements in the contract should prevent a talent drain removing the temptation to leave the department for better paying jobs elsewhere. The successful conclusion of negotiations by the Clermont Police Officers Association, Local #6013 comes not long after similar successes by the Clermont Sergeants’ Association, Local #6007. Both unions are chartered by the International Union of Police Associations, AFL-CIO.

Patrol officers will get a raise of more than ten thousand dollars in 2009 raising the starting salary from $36,200 to $40,186. The increase is essential to ensure that the city can retain experienced officers, preventing them from leaving Clermont for better paying departments. It also ensures that the city can attract good candidates to replace retiring officers.

In addition to the base salary increase, officers will receive a two and a half percent annual cost of living increase along with an improved step program. Prior to this contract, officers worked under a ten year step program. That meant an officer would receive a small increase each year based on seniority up to ten years. Under the old program, an officer would reach a maximum pay at the end of ten years and no further step increases for the balance of his or her career.

The new step program spans a fifteen year period allow an officer to “top out” at more than fifty five thousand dollars a year over a fifteen year period, where under the old program an officer’s top salary would freeze at just a few dollars per year more than $40,000 after only ten years. In addition, the new step program includes an additional two percent pay increase on each officer’s anniversary date along with a new annual cost of living increase for an effective annual increase of four and a half percent. Expanding the step program means that now an officer will have more peak earning years, creating an incentive to remain in the department.

Plainclothes officers will also see a one hundred dollar increase in their clothing allowance to offset personal costs associated with taking care of personal clothing worn on the job. Plainclothes officers now have parity with their uniformed counterparts. Officers working plainclothes duties must purchase their own clothes to blend in with the demands of their assignments, the clothing allowance helps defer some of their personal costs for clothing used on their job.

Earlier in the year, the Sergeants’ Association made similar gains in their contract settlement. By September of 2009 they will receive an increase of slightly more than four thousand dollars a year. They will receive a two and a half percent increase every October as well as a four percent increase six months after they are promoted to sergeant and an additional four percent increase based on an annual performance evaluation.

Sergeants’ hourly rates will increase by more than thirteen per cent with improvements in bereavement leave policies and access to “take home” vehicles. While some people have assumed that “take home” vehicles are an important perquisite, in fact they impose an additional burden on the officer driving one. Using a “take home” vehicle often requires that an off duty officer act on any incidents that occur. The city and its citizens actually benefit from officers having “take home” vehicles in that it expands the police presence throughout the community.

In light of today’s faltering economy, it is a common theme among police officers around the country that they will face the pressures of an increase in criminal activity in the coming years. They believe that it is critical that local law enforcement agencies remain competitive in the job market in order to counter a range of crimes from petty theft to more serious crimes that physically endanger the citizens of their communities. The new contracts for both the patrol officers and their sergeants is considered a major step toward ongoing protection of the lives and property of the citizens of Clermont.

05-13-2009, 05:53 AM
Obviously, we don't have many legislators from Clermont. The pay cut is a joke. We have been battling the compression issue for years and now this? These people are unreal. PBA is a usless joke as well. If this goes thru I know how to get back part of my cut...

05-13-2009, 04:56 PM
One mrore thing: When was the last time any of our raises was effective on July 1st? I can't remember. Ain't it amazing!

05-20-2009, 06:18 PM
FYI promatoion pay is an increase of 10% or base pay of that rank which ever is higher. Not 15%.

05-20-2009, 09:11 PM
VE
Obviously, we don't have many legislators from Clermont. The pay cut is a joke. We have been battling the compression issue for years and now this? These people are unreal. PBA is a usless joke as well. If this goes thru I know how to get back part of my cut...

What are you going to do, take some pens or note pads home, or go to the store and get a free drink, or wave trucks on by? OOHH you got us now, Please don't wave the trucks on by, we will give you your raise! :devil:

05-23-2009, 06:40 PM
VE

What are you going to do, take some pens or note pads home, or go to the store and get a free drink, or wave trucks on by? OOHH you got us now, Please don't wave the trucks on by, we will give you your raise! :devil:

Pens and note pads? You mean stations somewhere are still getting those? Our Lt. edits our supply requests and we have a hard time even getting toilet paper. The distance some will go to score brownie points, he acts like it is coming out of his pocket/pay. Officers are taking toilet paper from other stations when they work them and taking it back to their home stations just to be able to have it. Some officers at one station I know of went and bought their own and keep it locked it their lockers so they know they will have some. Has it really come to this? Toilet paper rationing?

05-31-2009, 06:44 PM
Well if you really want to know why we even get TP it is for the pubic to enjoy.

06-01-2009, 11:39 AM
Well if you really want to know why we even get TP it is for the pubic to enjoy.

If the pubic enjoys that TP they must like it rough. Old rough one ply stuff, but I guess it's not the amount the pubic uses but how they use it. I guess as long as the pubic enjoys it we should let them have all they want. I am all for and strive for pubic satisfaction as often as possible. I have been bringing my own TP to work, but if the pubic enjoys the department issued TP I may have to try it and see if it will bring me enjoyment also. The pubic will not steer you wrong on matters of enjoyment and satisfaction.

“The pubic is the only critic whose opinion is worth anything at all”..-Mark Twain--sorta

06-06-2009, 03:20 AM

THIS IS THE STUPIDEST THING I HAVE EVER HEARD...SOUNDS LIKE A TRUE ROADGUARD...NEXT TIME YOU HAVE AN IDEA,KEEP IT TO YOURSELF. :x