PDA

View Full Version : Shift

04-23-2009, 03:13 AM
You guys are all pathetic! Can't even get your schedule right let alone police work. No wonder the Chief takes for ever on thing because he knows you guy don't care about anything but your self. Serves you guys right to be were you are! As long as you so called Police Officer cont. crying about not seeing the Chief worry about if he was around I’m pretty sure allot of you would gone. Publius I would like your input on this. :devil: :cop:

Publius
04-26-2009, 07:50 AM
At the age of 25 a French young man and his friend visited the United States with the purpose to write a “Report” on the American Penitentiary System. After 9 months of traveling all over the US land by many cities, towns etc, and after interviewing different people from the different backgrounds of society they returned to their France, their motherland. their collected notes Instead of being use for the original project, was used for another purpose; the result was a treatise entitled “Democracy in America” by Alexis de Tocqueville published in 1835 and a second volume in 1840.

The contribution of Tocqueville’s though is insuperable. He represents the most comprehensive academic endeavor of his time seeking to explain the how’s and why’s the United States Government really worked so well. Keep in mind that the US was born on 1776 and in 1787 adopted its Constitution, by Tocqueville’s times those living in Europe, who by the way, only knew Monarchies, looked with curiosity to the US and the “American Experiment”. This relatively new nation was founded under new principles: It defenitevly looked more as a Republic than as a Monarchy.

In his book, Tocqueville explained concepts of American life such as township, religion, public opinion, courts, congress, elections, laws, language and so on. The purpose was to communicate whatever was happening in America to the French and Europeans conterpart. The Amazing thing was that how a man from “outside”, whose English was not his native language, was able to understand this country so well to the point of predicting the American Civil War, precisely because over the issue of slavery, 20’s years before it actually took place !!!

Tocqueville’s “Democracy in America” is widely known among those who study political science, cultural anthropology, philosophy, literature, religion ect… His name often appears next to Russau, Montesquie, Marx, Adam Smith and so on. I remember one time seeing a student holding a copy of Tocqueville's "Democracy in America" while she was paying for a coffee at the GC Bustelo Cafeteria! The following link probes that the text still in used at FIU : http://www.fiu.edu/~harveyb/DeToc.htm lol lol lol

it is at the introduction of his work that with only 25 years old, this men penned the following lines : “ …this book is not precisely in anyone’s camp; in writing it, I did not mean either to serve or to context any party; I undertook to see, not differently, but further than the parties; and while they are occupied with the next day, I wanted to ponder the future .” – Alexis de Tocqueville 1835

Now, I don’t claim to have the wisdom and discernment that Tocqueville had. But suffering from such an inquisitive mid as mine, at times I am prone to perhaps overanalyze things. When I first observed the “draft” for the off duties on my hands, right there I anticipated its demised. The whole project was unsustainable at best. It was a big scaffold destined to collapse by its own weight. Although some people were celebrating its conception, on the other side of the spectrum, I was foreseeing its miscarriage. Nature took care of it in the most conspicuously and elegant way: painless, and discreetly. These Off Duties are gone; thank God it had a premature life!!! I never attended its funeral, its burrial took place in a brigth and sunny day when no even nature depicted the least sign of sadness. The few individuals that mourned for its demised, now realised its futility. Who knows if it might be replaced by a more serious attempt in the future? Lol lol lol. Now, the 4 X 10 looked like a more mature and promising project.

Now, As far as the leadership of our DPT or lack of it, ( as some people like to claim in these posts about the subject), I follow Tocqueville’s style: he spoke with confidence about the American issues, but he never addressed none of the American leaders either of his time or before him. I still waiting for somebody to show me in what page of “Democracy in America” did Tocqueville mentioned or criticized any American figure? . As far as I know, in more than 600 pages no a single name is to be found. And so, is my manner. I believed that is easy to judge others and slander them for their performance. I dont participate in that. I am rather thankful that we all have decent well pay jobs, specially these days. I personally respect our leaders and wish them the best. But Why did the off duties died off so prematurely? Or Why did the 4 X 10 died off? I don’t know and I don’t really wants to know either.

What I know is that If given the opportunity to chose between the two, I would rather see the 4 X 10 in place than the kind of off duties we had in mind.

Alexis de Tocqueville (1805-1859), a men who in spite of his young age was able to understand and expound like no one else in his time, the true nature of America’s tapestry. I propose that we should follow his example. We need to be able to discern not just one part, but the whole fabric of our department, all the real needs, all the potential we have to contribute to this place to be a better working place for all of us. Publius believes in understanding and conceiving projects and proposals no just for this day, but as Tocqueville said: "to Ponder in Tomorrow". Let us do the same, lest us move ahead, . Let us conceived projects really usefull not only for today, but also for the future.

Note: this man also predicted the demised of the US as a single nation, according to him it should follow the day when the American people start losing faith in its Congress. It is possible thta the day will come when the American people will start to look at their political leaders as a real joke? Who knows if Tocqueville was right once again. And one day we all witness the demised of the US. I hope it never happen.

Peace

04-28-2009, 12:06 PM
Publius, I have an idea. I will like for you to run for the position of ChiefPublius, I have an idea. I will like for you to run for the position of Chief of my Dept. A small intro:
I think he is well qualified :devil:

Beginnings and rise Family and early career to 67 BC
Born as Publius Claudius Pulcher in 93 BC, the youngest son of Appius Claudius, he became known as Publius Clodius after his controversial adoption into the plebeian family of Fontei in 59 BC.
He was sibling of two brothers and apparently five sisters (some historians think four). The identity of his mother's family continues to be one of the most controversial issues of 1st century BC Roman social history, but she was certainly not the Caecilia, daughter of Metellus Balearicus, deduced by Friedrich Münzer. Most likely she was a Servilia of the patrician Caepiones, daughter of Q. Servilius Caepio, or a Caecilia Metella sister of Q. Metellus Celer pater. It is certain that he was close enough by maternal bloodline to be called frater of some notable figures of the time:
• Q. Metellus Celer (consul 60 BC), the husband of his elder full sister;
• Q. Metellus Nepos (consul 57);
• Mucia Tertia, the successive wife of Pompeius Magnus (c.80-62 BC) and M. Aemilius Scaurus (praetor 56), and mother of their children;
• and Mucia's brothers P. Scaevola the pontifex (c.92-61/60 BC) and Q. Scaevola the augur, tribune of plebs in 54 (born c.90).
It appears that his father married twice and that among his numerous Claudian brothers and sisters, Clodius was a full sibling of only the two youngest girls, Claudia Metelli and Claudia Luculli. At various times he was accused of incestuous relations with all his sisters. The evidence is fairly conclusive that long-term, if intermittent, intimate relations had taken place with the two full sisters, both of whom were known as Clodia in consequence of his transfer to plebeian status in 59 BC.
In about 65 BC he married Fulvia of Tusculum, daughter of Sempronia the formidable principal heiress of the plebeian high noble family of Semproni Tuditani, which had died out in the male line with her father (70s BC). Fulvia bore him at least one son and one daughter who survived to adulthood, and following his death she married C. Scribonius Curio, tribune of plebs in 50 BC, and then Marcus Antonius the Triumvir (47-40 BC), also producing children by both of those important politicians.
Their daughter Claudia (born c.54) was hastily wed to the young Caesar heir for political reasons in 42 BC before she was properly old enough, and soon divorced after the imperious Fulvia joined with the consul Lucius Antonius in stirring up the Perusine War in 41.
His homonymous son, P. Claudius Pulcher (born c.64), turned out badly: a lethargic nonentity who only rose to the praetorship under the Triumvirs and died amid scandals of luxurious excess and an obsessive attachment to a common prostitute. An inscription of ownership on an expensive Egyptian alabaster vase once owned by the son has survived to attest the latter's short official career, and includes an unusual triple filiation which confirms the literary evidence to the effect that Clodius' own filiation was: Ap. f. Ap. n. (son of Appius cos.79, grandson of Appius cos.143).
He took part in the Third Mithridatic War under his brother-in-law, Lucullus. However, considering himself treated with insufficient respect, he stirred up a revolt. Another brother-in-law, Q. Marcius Rex, governor of Cilicia, gave him the command of his fleet, but he was captured by pirates. On his release he repaired to Syria, where he nearly lost his life during a mutiny he was accused of instigating.
A curious incident took place during his time in pirate hands which was to have later consequences. The pirates sought a good ransom price from Ptolemy of Cyprus, a nominal ally of Rome who was then involved in negotiations for a potential marriage to a daughter of Mithradates VI of Pontus. Ptolemy sent a fairly trivial sum which so amused the pirates that they released Clodius without taking any money. He had evidently been overestimating his worth, and this transaction filled him with hatred for the Cypriot ruler.

Publius
04-29-2009, 12:03 AM
Pompey, I celebrate your post and your voluntarily digression from the hostile subjects matters that usually dominates these posts!

And yet, I most also, in honor to the truth, to attempt correct the equivocation in which the abundance of your research has incurred. Equivocation, has been defined by those who field of expertise include logic, as: “attaching the wrong predicate to a given subject.” And thus, my Dear Pompey, “Thou must have incurred in Equivocation” lol lol lol

The “Publius” that I refer, was born in 500’s as “Publius Valero Publicola”. It seems to me that those who you refer where others “Publius” lol lol lol

In any case, my employment of the name of "Publius" does not represent my personal endorsement of his life's pedigree and other trivialities that accompanied this historical figure.

My intention in using such a pseudonym are for others reasons, reasons that are more in the likeness of those that inspired the founding fathers of this great nation. During their interaction with the American people, they always signed their published material under the rubric "Publius". I am referring to the “Federalist Papers” written by Alexander Hamilton, Jon Jay and Madison, whose purpose was to defend the US Constitution and preserving the Strength of the Union.

There are a few things about “Publius” That inspired the Founding Fathers to employ his name in the publishing of their papers. I like their Idea for using this pseudonym. In itself, the name “Publius” means “The friend of the people”. And he really behaved as such, by providing to the Romans, not just an Empire, but an Empire that they should not fear and an Empire that they could trust. Just as the Founding Fathers, by the rhetoric of their “Federalist Papers”, sought to persuade the American People that their political project was to provide the Nation not just with a “Government”, But a Government that that they should and could trust.

Now, I believe that some of the “upheavals” of our dpt could be overcome with the concept of “Camaraderie”. Comradeship brings people together, it binds us, unite us. I know that this sounds naïve as best, it sound like the “ultimate utopia”. But Publius tried it, and he succeed. The Founder Fathers tried it and their also succeed.

When I decided to engage in these posts, I decided to do it with the purpose to contribute to it with positivism, no with negative statements that brings down morale etc... Thus, my Pseudonym “Publius” (friend of people) and thus my last words at the bottom of each post is always “Peace” lol lol lol The attitude in which I write this post, is the same in which I go to work everyday. In a word my friend, camaraderie will make of our dpt a better place to work. And i think that from all the bennefits a department has to offer, is precisely a "peaceful enviroment" And This was something that Publius transmited to the Romans. His theory was "it does not matter what you build, if it is with hostility, is not worth". And my intention is to contribute to the positive enviroment of our DPT.

Peace.