PDA

View Full Version : Patches

04-18-2009, 03:45 AM
What's the deal on the rumor of the patches, are we going to look like real state police officers. or this another smoke screen by HQ trying to boast morale, Can someone share some light on the subject please

04-18-2009, 03:54 AM
Its time for change and a new look.I feel we need change; the logo, badges and patches that would give us our own idenity with the community,the smurf mobiles and uniforms would needs to go, FWC is doing it why not us. I know we have enough in our budget yo make this happen, There is no excuse. Let look like a deparment that kicks butt and take names, only uniform reflects the fear we want to display

05-13-2009, 11:32 PM
I’m curious. What do the “real state police officers” look like?

I have served as a law enforcement officer for the State for the past number of years. I have worked both in uniform and in plain clothes. I have never had any problems identifying myself as a police officer and have never had any problems affecting arrests or making traffic stops. I only hear the officers complaining about “looking like the police”, not the citizens.

So, lets see, what does a “real police officer” look like? Based on my experiences he/she wears a uniform with a symbol of authority (i.e. a badge) that usually identifies him/her as an officer. He/she wears a utility belt that holds another symbol of authority (i.e. a gun). The belt also usually includes a radio, extra ammo magazines and handcuffs. He/she, while working, drives a government vehicle that identifies him/her as the police through visual display of the words “police”, “state officer”, “law enforcement”, etc. Let’s not forget about the emergency equipment contained in the vehicle, such as the emergency lights (i.e. “blue lights”) and siren.

So, it appears like you already “look” like the “real police”. If you are not competent enough in your own abilities as an officer and have to make up for it by the way you “look”, then perhaps a career change is in order.

As for wanting people to “fear” you as an officer, all you will foster is a hatred for all police in general. We should be striving for the respect of the community by acting in a forthright and professional manner.

05-13-2009, 11:36 PM
stop focusing on the wrong things, folks. you can't eat or retire on uniforms, guns, patches, badges or vehicle lettering. with state employees like you it's no wonder we are loosing pay. and don't think that just because you didn't get a pay cut this year that you won't be on the chopping block next year!

05-14-2009, 12:00 AM
stop focusing on the wrong things, folks. you can't eat or retire on uniforms, guns, patches, badges or vehicle lettering. with state employees like you it's no wonder we are loosing pay. and don't think that just because you didn't get a pay cut this year that you won't be on the chopping block next year!

Losing

05-27-2009, 06:04 AM
Yeah, because a piece of fruit has so much more authority than a picture of the state on it...

05-27-2009, 04:07 PM
[quote="invicuts"]I’m curious. What do the “real state police officers” look like?

I have served as a law enforcement officer for the State for the past number of years. I have worked both in uniform and in plain clothes. I have never had any problems identifying myself as a police officer and have never had any problems affecting arrests or making traffic stops. I only hear the officers complaining about “looking like the police”, not the citizens.

So, lets see, what does a “real police officer” look like? Based on my experiences he/she wears a uniform with a symbol of authority (i.e. a badge) that usually identifies him/her as an officer. He/she wears a utility belt that holds another symbol of authority (i.e. a gun). The belt also usually includes a radio, extra ammo magazines and handcuffs. He/she, while working, drives a government vehicle that identifies him/her as the police through visual display of the words “police”, “state officer”, “law enforcement”, etc. Let’s not forget about the emergency equipment contained in the vehicle, such as the emergency lights (i.e. “blue lights”) and siren.

So, it appears like you already “look” like the “real police”. If you are not competent enough in your own abilities as an officer and have to make up for it by the way you “look”, then perhaps a career change is in order.

I have to disagree with you on a few points. I've been a state officer here for 15 plus years and I have indeed heard it all , most commonly who are you guys? , not in those exact words though. Most give you that I'm constipated look like while they are trying to decipher our patch , what's a motor carrier? , are you guy's work release? and most famous " I didn't know you guy's carried guns ". I'm not sure if you work for our agency Inviticus but if you do I know you have experienced it. I'm not complaining about not being able to do my job ,I don't recall anyone ever saying you can't stop me , but I really do think a few "small" changes would help drastically improve our identity. True story , someone said the other day why does it say FOOT on your car ? I did have to laugh. I'm not looking to get a free cup of coffee or a free meal , but seriously the maintenance patch does need to go.

05-27-2009, 04:09 PM

We are LOSING pay too.

05-28-2009, 02:36 PM
A good question was asked, what does a State Police Officer in Florida look like. Well we seem to come in many different colors of uniforms. You all are blue, some are green, some are light green, some are brown, some are grey, some are black etc. I think the issue is we need to have a combined uniform. One that looks the same, markings on the vehicles the same etc. If they want to keep this seperate agency thing going because they don't have the balls to combine us all, then place our agency initials on the car.

For goodness sake, make us all look alike with colors, badges, and markings. That way there is less confusion with the motoring public and the good citizens that call on us in our various areas of expertise for help.

My 2 cents, it will never happen because we have groups that want to be seperated, that think they are better then everyone else etc. We all do a job and serve a specific function, why can't we all look alike and change one thing, combine us or just the lettering on the patches and cars.

God speed!!

07-06-2009, 04:27 AM
I’m curious. What do the “real state police officers” look like?

As for wanting people to “fear” you as an officer, all you will foster is a hatred for all police in general. We should be striving for the respect of the community by acting in a forthright and professional manner.

incoherent rambling...