PDA

View Full Version : Raise taxes, keep layoffs to about 18,Naples council decides

MOD 589
04-13-2009, 08:16 PM
The Naples City Council this morning tentatively said that it would support a rollback tax rate in fiscal 2010. That decision, though, still means the city of Naples is facing a $2.5 million shortfall in fiscal 2010.

Council members spent the morning discussing ways to balance the fiscal 2010 budget. The city is facing a $2.5 million shortfall next year. That sum would jump to $5 million if the city were to decide not to raise taxes to the rollback rate.

The rollback rate is the rate at which property taxes are set to raise the same amount of tax revenue as was raised in the previous year. During years when property values increase, officials can roll back the tax rate to a lower rate to bring in the same amount of revenue.

But the city of Naples is projecting a 15 percent decline in property values this year. That means to bring in the same amount of revenue as this year, officials will need to increase property taxes.

The gap can be closed, according to a report by Finance Director Ann Marie Ricardi, through days off without pay for employees, salary and benefit reductions, and layoffs.

The option that was presented this morning could eliminate 18.5 full-time equivalent positions.

Ricardi also proposed increasing the city's telecommunications tax. That increase, she said, could bring in an additional $900,000 in revenue next year.

04-23-2009, 03:10 PM
The fact that there was multiple options to me just doesn't even make sence. The way I see it, you do not lay off cops, fire fighters, or get rid of EMS services except as an absolute last resort. This City needs to wake up and realize the rest of the country's reality. Naples does not and will never have money issues, and there is no budget scare. This is all a ploy and scare tactic. Laying off the men and women that keep us safe will never be justified in my eyes. And for the people who say that nothing ever happens in Naples and that crime fighting isn't important, remember this. The reason we continue to have little crime is becuase of the men and women that actively patrol our city day in day out that allow us to live in the safe Naples we all love so much. If anyone reading this has ever needed an ambulance whether it was a heart attack or a car accident whether serious or not, regardless of day of week or time of day, I gurantee you have never waited longer then a few minutes. Compare that to other cities in Florida such as Palm Beach or Boca and you will realize how lucky you are to live where you do. These are all things we need to make sure we dont forget when the city talks as they have. We have to remind politicians of what we deem important sometimes, and it should be true service professionals not expensive medians or art work.