PDA

View Full Version : Lieutenant demoted for mocking subordinate, profane e-mail

04-08-2009, 04:02 PM
LEE COUNTY — A Lee County Sheriff’s Office lieutenant was demoted last month for mocking a subordinate and sending a profane e-mail to his unit, according to a recently released internal investigation.

He was then suspended after making an accusatory phone call to the same subordinate, moments after learning of his demotion, a second report stated.

Lt. Lee Bushong, former head of the agency’s Intelligence Section, will appeal both findings in an upcoming civil service board hearing, his lawyer, Stuart M. Pepper, has said. Bushong was demoted to deputy on March 18 and suspended the same day.

His troubles came on the heels of his superior’s resignation from the agency, as well as the suspension of the chief deputy of the Sheriff’s Office. A broader restructuring has since taken place in the agency, with other deputies being demoted, promoted or reassigned.

Only Bushong and the chief deputy, Charles Ferrante, were placed under investigation.

Pepper has called the allegations against Bushong untrue.

Both reports center on a January 23 e-mail Bushong sent to his unit in which he reminded deputies not to request long vacations. He referred to a three-week request by the name of one of his deputies, Steve Drum, who had asked off for that length of time. Drum’s daughter was sick when he made the request, he later told the investigator.

Bushong wrote that any such request “will be denied and I shall hang a small portion of your ass on my wall as a decoration.”

The report concluded Bushong made derogatory remarks and was abusive.

The second report details an alleged call Bushong made moments after learning of his demotion on the morning of March 18. He called Drum, the deputy he mocked in the e-mail to subordinates, the report states, cursed at him and called him a “snitch.”

When Drum reported the call to a superior, the investigation was opened and Bushong suspended. Another complaint was added after Bushong confronted the captain who told him of his suspension, according to the report.

That complaint was unsubstantiated when the investigator decided the captain, who had a beef with Bushong dating back to the March resignation of Bushong’s superior, Capt. Dominick Ferrante, should never have been sent to give him the news.

The officer who made that assignment, then-Major Scott Ciresi, has since been demoted to captain. The Sheriff’s Office said the move was not disciplinary.

04-08-2009, 04:21 PM
What happened to the old saying "sticks and stones may break my bones but words/or names will never hurt me".

04-08-2009, 04:27 PM
I wouldn't think there was any room left in Bushong's office for more ass. He must of "had" a very big office...Good luck with the job search !!!

04-08-2009, 06:20 PM
What happened to the old saying "sticks and stones may break my bones but words/or names will never hurt me".

That statement has been around for at least 5 generations and it is just as wrong now as it was then. Words can not only hurt, they can kill. Whether it's self harm or random gunfire in a school, the damage words do to a person has been seen all to often.

I am not commenting on this particular case. I just think it is dangerous and misinformed to claim that intimidation, racial and personal slurs, and shunning don't cause real pain.

I've been to too many 49's and most if not all of them can be traced back to being told or shown that they were damaged goods.

04-08-2009, 07:06 PM
I care, I agree with you! I was just throwing that out there because the name calling and intimidation by supervisor has been the norm at LCSO. It has been going on way before Sheriff Scott was elected. I feel alot of the bad supervisor have seen it or experienced it so they are just repeating what they have seen. The strips on their sleeves or the bars on their collars do not mean they deserve respect, they have to earn it! They should also give respect to their subordinates as well!

04-09-2009, 12:02 AM
Are you all missing the part where a deputy didn't have the balls to stand up for himself, but had to run to someone else to handle his problems for him? What a *****. And to think that this guy works the road, defending (supposedly) people. Sounds like he would rather run than fight. Maybe call for backup and let them handle his calls? Steve Drum is not someone I want to show up at my house if there were a problem!

04-09-2009, 01:05 AM
Are we forgetting the open door policy!!! Drum didn't fire him, the Sheriff did. I don't see a problem with it! Sheriff Scott made a wise decision that is best for the depatment. Hypocrisy is in the air!

04-10-2009, 06:17 AM
Well, Zone 8, pay attention to WHY drum ratted that guy out. I am pretty sure you find that he was pressured into giving up Bushong. Mike Scott was not man enought to do it himself, so he sicked Jones on it. Then Jones pressured Drum into giving up an email that was months old. I know Drum - he would have said something early on if that email really bothered him. Instead, Jones pressures Drum and Drum rats. Think about it.

04-10-2009, 01:39 PM
Who gives a Sh*^ anymore. He's gone let's move on. Old news. There is still some "trash" in the halls and such that need to be taken out or at the very least given a reality check and demoted. These people are still in positions they shouldn't be in and are still being as thugish as CF and DF and LB were. Spring is here, let's keep cleaning house.

04-11-2009, 04:52 PM
Who gives a Sh*^ anymore. He's gone let's move on. Old news. There is still some "trash" in the halls and such that need to be taken out or at the very least given a reality check and demoted. These people are still in positions they shouldn't be in and are still being as thugish as CF and DF and LB were. Spring is here, let's keep cleaning house.

It's not "old news" at all. I didn't care for Bushong, but why did Drum have to go running to the brass when Bushong called him and told him he was a snitch - which he was. Bushong had been demoted to deputy, right? Drum should have told him to stuff himself.

A rat is a rat is a rat. If Drum is working in your district you better watch out.

Firing, demoting, and harrassing people because they were in with F brothers is just as bad as doing it because they were not liked by them. Same shit, different day.

04-11-2009, 05:33 PM

I guess you missed the story of the young girl on myspace who was moved to suicide by the malicious writings of another girls parents. They cooked up a hoax to trick her and posed as a boy who liked her, then they broke the girls heart, after which she hung herself.

Besides that, that old saying was always a bunch a BS. It's a pathetic last resort retort to those who mock and harass us. It's said in the hope that it'll take the joy away from someone who's said hurtful crap to you, but it's not true.

04-26-2009, 05:00 AM
Give it all to the big mouth woman at www.andjustice4all.org (http://www.andjustice4all.org)

It is her goal to completely replace every person above the rank of sergeant.

She is a woman obsessed, go ahead, join her. Just don't ever write her a ticket, or arrest her family. She will get you.

04-26-2009, 05:13 PM
Give it all to the big mouth woman at http://www.andjustice4all.org

She is a woman obsessed, go ahead, join her. Just don't ever write her a ticket, or arrest her family. She will get you.

andjustice4all is: LISA COHEN's MOTHER, and has been unsuccessful at all attempts to challenge the Sheriff. Be careful of what you wish for she will turn on you in an instant.

05-22-2009, 03:28 AM
Give it all to the big mouth woman at http://www.andjustice4all.org

andjustice4all is: LISA COHEN's MOTHER, and has been unsuccessful at all attempts to challenge the Sheriff. Be careful of what you wish for she will turn on you in an instant.

More like an New York second, Squeaky clean but love the pull overs and searches..
And Justice 4 all has been around since 2005, Before DeTar smashed my daughters head into a fence and Raped her, trust and believe Karma 4 all is very true, What goes around is back around :lol: You just need patience and God will prove for the truth.

I reported the abuse in the jail, no one did anything and now some had to die to prove the truth.

I don't want to replace anyone over Sergeant, I still believe there are more guys than bad and value those with dignity who protect and serve, I don't like those who abuse their powers or those who can't pass the sergeants exam..

You guys be safe and most of my info comes right from several of your own, Maybe even someone here :D , Keep that in mind because it's not just my big mouth !

05-22-2009, 04:50 PM
Karma you say DeTar smashed your daughter's head into a fence post, but didn't she confess in open court and took a plea deal that she did that to herself. Oh just another documented lie. Oh that's right you say that was a Forced Plea. You have tried to ruin the lives and careers of several good officers!

05-22-2009, 05:26 PM
Her and her Daughter are nuts, I would just ignore her.

Karma you say DeTar smashed your daughter's head into a fence post, but didn't she confess in open court and took a plea deal that she did that to herself. Oh just another documented lie. Oh that's right you say that was a Forced Plea. You have tried to ruin the lives and careers of several good officers!

05-23-2009, 02:05 PM
...since 2005, Before DeTar smashed my daughters head into a fence and Raped her,

That was just because we didn't have tasers in 2005. That would never happen today. :devil:

05-24-2009, 02:57 AM
I'm not ruining anyone's life..I let God handle it for me and Karma does come around...

As for the FORCED PLEA, Ask Ian Mann
The State wanted that case gone at first, The SAO is the one who told her to release the video..........
So she had a program on her own computer in her own home, DeTar used that against her to file charges and Mann took the flack for the video when the SAO called him to drop the case but he was on vacation, After that all hell broke loose when Kelly Worchester got involved.
The day of the plea the News Press was there and heard the SAO keep changing the plea with Mann , She just wanted it over, Take a plea that would not affect her career and Move on with her life. Volz didn't even believe she should of plead out to those charges.

I would of gone all the way to trial but I supported her decision, She regretted the Plea had 30 days to appeal but missed it by 1 day.. She has moved on and continued the ACT counseling and she is happy..What more can a mother ask for ? I don't get involved with who my kids are with, no one will ever be good enough for them too me. DeTar will tell you I never got involved with their personal life until the end, which was a nasty end.

Ask Brandy and Mike Scott what happened when DeTar was being investigated over the tazer , They can tell you What my involvement was with that. It was not that important to me compared to her safety issues, So if I wanted to ruin him , I could of then but I really believed the Justice system would resolve the issues and it didn't .. You Live and You Learn !

05-24-2009, 03:07 AM

I have my very own mini me...Look it's " Come on Karma " :lol:

05-24-2009, 04:03 AM

Did I say " POST " ???

Maybe some one might want to go back and look at what I actually wrote.

Little Karma; Don't try and make a big deal out of me being on LEO, You'll just start to bring up bad memories and names all over again, Past is Past, Move on !
I have been on LEO for a while, I just never commented until my name was brought up.
At least I don't hide behind a fake name, I have nothing to hide. I have used the name Karma4all for years, It is on my email account, News forums, My website and myspace
Leave it alone, For your sake.
I personally, will not re-live that horrific time and nothing comes between a mother and her child.

05-24-2009, 06:49 AM
readpsalm37

05-24-2009, 12:34 PM
readpsalm37

I could not agree more...

The Psalms

The Insecurity of the Wicked
A Psalm of David.

1 Fret not thyself because of evildoers,

neither be thou envious against the workers of iniquity.
2 For they shall soon be cut down like the grass,

and wither as the green herb.
3 Trust in the LORD, and do good;

so shalt thou dwell in the land, and verily thou shalt be fed.
4 Delight thyself also in the LORD;

and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart.
5 Commit thy way unto the LORD;

trust also in him; and he shall bring it to pass.
6 And he shall bring forth thy righteousness as the light,

and thy judgment as the noonday.
7 Rest in the LORD, and wait patiently for him:

fret not thyself because of him who prospereth in his way,
because of the man who bringeth wicked devices to pass.
8 Cease from anger, and forsake wrath:

fret not thyself in any wise to do evil.
9 For evildoers shall be cut off:

but those that wait upon the LORD, they shall inherit the earth.
10 For yet a little while, and the wicked shall not be:

yea, thou shalt diligently consider his place, and it shall not be.
11 But the meek shall inherit the earth; Mt. 5.5

and shall delight themselves in the abundance of peace.
12 The wicked plotteth against the just,

and gnasheth upon him with his teeth.
13 The Lord shall laugh at him:

for he seeth that his day is coming.
14 The wicked have drawn out the sword, and have bent their bow,

to cast down the poor and needy,
and to slay such as be of upright conversation.
15 Their sword shall enter into their own heart,

and their bows shall be broken.
16 A little that a righteous man hath

is better than the riches of many wicked.
17 For the arms of the wicked shall be broken:

but the LORD upholdeth the righteous.
18 The LORD knoweth the days of the upright:

and their inheritance shall be for ever.
19 They shall not be ashamed in the evil time:

and in the days of famine they shall be satisfied.
20 But the wicked shall perish,

and the enemies of the LORD shall be as the fat of lambs:
they shall consume; into smoke shall they consume away.
21 The wicked borroweth, and payeth not again:

but the righteous showeth mercy, and giveth.
22 For such as be blessed of him shall inherit the earth;

and they that be cursed of him shall be cut off.
23 The steps of a good man are ordered by the LORD:

and he delighteth in his way.
24 Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down:

for the LORD upholdeth him with his hand.
25 I have been young, and now am old;

yet have I not seen the righteous forsaken,
nor his seed begging bread.
26 He is ever merciful, and lendeth;

and his seed is blessed.
27 Depart from evil, and do good;

and dwell for evermore.
28 For the LORD loveth judgment,

and forsaketh not his saints;
they are preserved for ever:
but the seed of the wicked shall be cut off.
29 The righteous shall inherit the land,

and dwell therein for ever.
30 The mouth of the righteous speaketh wisdom,

and his tongue talketh of judgment.
31 The law of his God is in his heart;

none of his steps shall slide.
32 The wicked watcheth the righteous,

and seeketh to slay him.
33 The LORD will not leave him in his hand,

nor condemn him when he is judged.
34 Wait on the LORD, and keep his way,

and he shall exalt thee to inherit the land:
when the wicked are cut off, thou shalt see it.
35 I have seen the wicked in great power,

and spreading himself like a green bay tree.
36 Yet he passed away, and, lo, he was not:

yea, I sought him, but he could not be found.
37 Mark the perfect man, and behold the upright:

for the end of that man is peace.
38 But the transgressors shall be destroyed together:

the end of the wicked shall be cut off.
39 But the salvation of the righteous is of the LORD:

he is their strength in the time of trouble.
40 And the LORD shall help them, and deliver them:

he shall deliver them from the wicked, and save them,
because they trust in him.

In Brief: Leave everything in God's Hands with prayer and Justice will prevail

10-18-2012, 10:30 AM
LEE COUNTY — A Lee County Sheriff’s Office lieutenant was demoted last month for mocking a subordinate and sending a profane e-mail to his unit, according to a recently released internal investigation.

He was then suspended after making an accusatory phone call to the same subordinate, moments after learning of his demotion, a second report stated.

Lt. Lee Bushong, former head of the agency’s Intelligence Section, will appeal both findings in an upcoming civil service board hearing, his lawyer, Stuart M. Pepper, has said. Bushong was demoted to deputy on March 18 and suspended the same day.

His troubles came on the heels of his superior’s resignation from the agency, as well as the suspension of the chief deputy of the Sheriff’s Office. A broader restructuring has since taken place in the agency, with other deputies being demoted, promoted or reassigned.

Only Bushong and the chief deputy, Charles Ferrante, were placed under investigation.

Both reports center on a January 23 e-mail Bushong sent to his unit in which he reminded deputies not to request long vacations. He referred to a three-week request by the name of one of his deputies, Steve Drum, who had asked off for that length of time. Drum’s daughter was sick when he made the request, he later told the investigator.

Bushong wrote that any such request “will be denied and I shall hang a small portion of your ass on my wall as a decoration.”

The second report details an alleged call Bushong made moments after learning of his demotion on the morning of March 18. He called Drum, the deputy he mocked in the e-mail to subordinates, the report states, cursed at him and called him a “snitch.”

When Drum reported the call to a superior, the investigation was opened and Bushong suspended. Another complaint was added after Bushong confronted the captain who told him of his suspension, according to the report.

That complaint was unsubstantiated when the investigator decided the captain, who had a beef with Bushong dating back to the March resignation of Bushong’s superior, Capt. Dominick Ferrante, should never have been sent to give him the news.

The officer who made that assignment, then-Major Scott Ciresi, has since been demoted to captain. The Sheriff’s Office said the move was not disciplinary.

10-18-2012, 10:30 AM

10-18-2012, 02:04 PM
I don't want to get involved in the election dogfight and I won't. However, having just read all the postings in this string I have no choice but to defend one of my ex-confederates who has recklessly and wrongly attacked, he being Sergeant Steve Drum. I had the pleasure of working with Steve after being transferred to Lehigh and to the anonymous poster who impugned his fortitude I can only say this. I have been both happy and secure in the knowledge that Steve was on his way to back me, which he did on numerous occasions. I have seen him perform and he demonstrated, in every event, he was the kind of officer I wanted covering my back. As many at LCSO know, I retired with almost 32 years of LE under my belt, much more, no doubt, more than the nameless poster who made that ignorant statement. Sir, unlike you, my name is on this posting because I do not feel compelled to hide behind an alias. I, unlike you, have the courage of my convictions. If you are a 'man,' re-post that information with your name on it. If you do not have the courage to do that, perhaps you actually described yourself, not Steve.