PDA

View Full Version : High speed chases green lighted...

04-03-2009, 06:25 AM
At least one agency in Lee County is 10-8, mutts who run should go to jail.

http://www.nbc-2.com/articles/readarticle.asp?articleid=27805&z=3

04-03-2009, 03:36 PM
you go FHP, good for the admin to change this rule.

04-03-2009, 04:27 PM
It's about time a SW Florida Agency steps up to the plate. The Lee County Sheriff's Office is an absolute JOKE when it comes to going after criminals. They all run, and the LCSO just let's them go. What a damn disgace this agency is, I think that all Deputies should have green and orange lights and drive the voice cars instead. This will be a nice, kinder gentler approach to the public and the only people who will pull over for these are the middle class folks who get ticketed daily on their way to work by the Sheriff's clowns.

04-03-2009, 06:18 PM
wait till a family of four returning from church gets killed during an FHP chase for no tag light, then the policy will change, I just hope it's not your family or mine

04-04-2009, 04:48 PM
Agreed. Its only a matter of time before some dim witted trooper with bad judgment exercises his discretion and someone innocent gets hurt or killed. Then the policy will be rescinded. A departments patrol officers are only as trustworthy as the lowest common denominator, and there's always some dumb ass on patrol who cant be trusted to exercise good judgment.

04-05-2009, 06:42 PM
wait till a family of four returning from church gets killed during an FHP chase for no tag light, then the policy will change, I just hope it's not your family or mine

BOO HOO... Then why do we do anything? There is always a chance that an innocent could get hurt. SO we should simply stay at the police station and have all criminals, suspects, victims, and soo to be victims come to us.

Make the penalty more sever for the turds that run, if someone gets killed because they ran, automatic life in prison with no chance of parole. I don't care if it was for na expired tag... they run, they get punished.. PERIOD !!

Grow a set why don't you, it isn't illegal to catch the bad guy.

04-06-2009, 04:01 AM
I agree completely that we have to grow a pair. Crime is out of control because the bad guys know they can get away. We must set a precent and chase them until the wheels fall off. I don't care if it is a tag light, we must enforce the laws and put the bad guys in jail. They are no longer scared of us, and this can be a huge officer safety problem. I understand that an innocent person can be killed in a crash, but we are protected civilly by the state of Florida and it is the bad guy's fault. Remember, it is the bad guy that decides to flee. If we don't chase these people they will continue to sell drugs, rob, and murder others. They all know we can't chase them, and they are laughing at us right now. I became a cop to put these criminals in jail, not to watch them grill me with their gold teeth as my supervisor calls off a pursuit and I am forced to turn around with my tail between my legs. I do not want innocent people to get hurt, but we have to put our foot down and take back this city from the criminals to improve the quality of life for the community as a whole.

04-06-2009, 09:05 AM
It was bone headed pursuits over speeding tickets, tag lights and such that got the policy put in place to start with. Some dumbass flees a speeding ticket and one of you guys go all tunnel vision on them and get someone killed. The public "grew a pair" when we said no more of that BS.

I understand that an innocent person can be killed in a crash, but we are protected civilly by the state of Florida and it is the bad guy's fault. Remember, it is the bad guy that decides to flee.

No. A bad guy is expected to not give a damned about public safety. You as a police officer on the other hand are expected to exercise your discretion and good judgment in the course of your job. When you get innocent people killed over boned headed crap like going on a high speed pursuit over a tag light you've failed at that miserable. get it?

04-06-2009, 01:40 PM
It was bone headed pursuits over speeding tickets, tag lights and such that got the policy put in place to start with. Some dumbass flees a speeding ticket and one of you guys go all tunnel vision on them and get someone killed. The public "grew a pair" when we said no more of that BS.

I understand that an innocent person can be killed in a crash, but we are protected civilly by the state of Florida and it is the bad guy's fault. Remember, it is the bad guy that decides to flee.

No. A bad guy is expected to not give a damned about public safety. You as a police officer on the other hand are expected to exercise your discretion and good judgment in the course of your job. When you get innocent people killed over boned headed crap like going on a high speed pursuit over a tag light you've failed at that miserable. get it?

It is sometimes necessary to sacrifice a few pawns to win a game of chess.

04-06-2009, 04:32 PM
Man, some of you guys just don't get it, it's not only the public that could get injured or killed during a police pursuit, it's our own guys, it happens all the time, look around, we have cops that can't back out of a driveway without hitting something, let alone going 60 mph or above on Edison or Polk, we all want to chase, that's not the issue, it's not about growing some balls either, it's about safety, I agree 200% that we must chase for murder suspects, robbery, kidnapping...etc. I mean if we don't who will, that's why we're the Police, picture this: you sitting on the stand across from a 17 yoa who's mother was killed by you or a fleeing car while returning home from work, and trying to answer why you were chasing, and your only answer is" the car I was chasing had a tail light out" ARE YOU KIDDING ME, THINK ABOUT IT, if you still don't care then you shouldn't be a cop, what if that was your wife or mother who was killed in that same exact scenario, not everyone that runs has drugs or guns or just robbed or killed someone, how many times we catch people that we chase and we find nothing on them, good D/L, no dope, no guns, no warrants, it's not hard to chase, any cop can chase, but you have to look at the bigger picture, don't get caught up in the moment and forget about the consequences that could result from an unnecessary pursuit. I say we chase when the situation requires it. We all know that all of FHP’s pursuits will initiate from a traffic violation of some type, it's not like they check out with suspicious subjects, F.I.R people, and go to shots fired calls..!!!

04-16-2009, 09:58 PM
LOL @ giving a green light to chases..... No way it hell! Shyt some people shouldn't be allowed to drive period!

05-03-2009, 06:31 PM
Trooper trial: Deaths reckless or just accidental? - Updated: 11:48 AM
CAPE MAY COURT HOUSE, N.J.: This much is certain: Two teenage sisters left their grandma's house one night in September 2006 to buy a gallon of milk, and never came home.

They were killed when a State Police cruiser slammed into them at an intersection less than a mile from their Upper Township home.

A jury in southern New Jersey could begin hearing evidence this week in the case that will hinge on two questions: Was Trooper Robert Higbee acting recklessly as he sped down a road chasing what he said was a speeder? Or was the crash that killed Jacqueline and Christina Becker a tragic but unavoidable accident?

New Jersey already has settled a civil suit for $2 million. But the trooper could get 10 years in prison if convicted of death by auto.

05-03-2009, 07:28 PM
As trooper Robert Higbee of NJ has discovered civil problems are the least of your worries if you recklessly kill someone during a pursuit over something stupid like a speeding ticket. If you mess up and kill someone you risk being prosecuted criminally for vehicular homicide. FHP troopers would do well to remember that before the go all tunnel vision on the next speeder who disrepects their authority and flees.

The charges against Trooper Higbee grew in large part from evidence investigators recovered from his patrol vehicle’s onboard computer, known as a black box, which captured the car’s speed and the rate of acceleration before the collision as well as other data, the authorities said.

Several witnesses to the crash, which occurred about 10 p.m. on Sept. 27 at the intersection of Stagecoach Road and Old Tuckahoe Road in the Marmora section of Upper Township, said they saw Trooper Higbee’s patrol car run a stop sign at a high rate of speed — like a “white streak,” one person said — before it slammed into the Dodge minivan carrying Ms. Caiafa’s daughters, Christina Becker-Caiafa, 19, and Jacqueline Becker-Caiafa, 17. The Dodge then struck another minivan, whose occupants, along with Trooper Higbee, were slightly injured.

Trooper Higbee, who had worked for the state police for six years, received a summons in October for careless driving and failure to stop.

About 25 seconds of data on the black box were retrieved by employees of the Ford Motor Company and turned over to investigators. Prosecutors declined to discuss the data in detail, but J. David Meyer, an assistant prosecutor, said that the rate of speed at which Trooper Higbee was traveling represented a “reckless disregard for the safety of others.” Mr. Meyer also said that grand jurors heard evidence that Trooper Higbee had been trying to pursue a speeding car.

The trooper’s lawyer, D. William Subin, released a statement that said: “There was never any intention nor any conscious, deliberate act on the part of Trooper Higbee. He never deliberately disregarded or endangered a human life. He was doing his sworn duty, attempting to close the distance between his troop car and a violator of the law. Simply stated, this case belongs in an administrative and-or civil court.”

Yeah whatever buddy, tell it to the judge and jury! :evil:

05-03-2009, 07:31 PM
btw the above newspaper quote if from...

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/28/nyregion/28trooper.html

05-05-2009, 11:24 PM
A high speed chase involving FHP is over and the man they were after is in the hospital.
Witnesses say the driver of the car FHP troopers were following was going over 50 mph on neighborhood streets when he crashed. The driver was put onto a stretcher and taken to the hospital!

http://www.nbc-2.com/articles/readarticle.asp?articleid=29169&z=3

OMG?! But what about the safety of the citizens err, crack heads, drug dealin mutts and prostitutes hanging out around Broadway and Moreno???

At least one agency in Lee County has a backbone...Thin Mints and free pens anyone?

05-07-2009, 12:57 AM
FORT MYERS: A police chase ends violently in a Fort Myers neighborhood. The pursuit started at the Edison Mall and ended about a mile later.

The driver of a brown Mitsubishi drove north on Broadway and tried to turn on to Moreno Avenue, but hit a palm tree.

Seconds later, troopers surrounded him and EMS took him away on a stretcher. He's being treated for minor injuries.

Moments after the crash, we spoke with a man who lives in the neighborhood and saw it all unfold.

"You had a Cessna circling overhead. DEA came flying from all over the place. Guys with masks on - everything you see in the Hollywood Movies happened right here," said neighbor Tom Nichols.

During the pursuit, the driver hit two highway patrol vehicles, but no troopers were injured.

They don't say what initiated the pursuit. What did FHP have on him when he ran? What else was he charged with that wasn't a result his running and the chaos that resulted?

05-08-2009, 06:00 AM
F those guys. I remember being a cop in the 80's and early 90's before these silly chase policies. Those were the days and these mutts knew it. Guess what? They didn't run from us nearly as often. One bonehead in Pinellas can't figure out to prevent two young girls from driving out into the path of a high speed chase and the rest of us are handcuffed from catching bad guys for almost twenty years now. What a disgrace!