PDA

View Full Version : Marsupial

03-27-2009, 08:16 AM
I noticed there is some contention on this site regarding Clermont Police Department. I would like to share my experience, as I live in Clermont and, in my most dire hour of need, had to frantically call in need of police service. I will now talk about what my family experienced with their service.

Now for some background. I am a sixty eight year old grandmother. I live with my grandson and his common law wife plus the child they got. We live in a small, but clean house and have two wonderful purebred pitbulls (one, Natasha, is a red nose!) We live close to one of the lakes and while not a big house, we are happy. Anyways, like I said it is a clean environment.

About three months ago while we were all watching Saw part four on video, we seen our dogs going wild. They was running in all directions and yelping as if they was afraid. It was then that we seen it. My common law granddaughter in law said it was a mouse. My grandson said it was a rat. I was convinced it was a full grown marsupial. Now, I don’t want you to think my son is a pansy, he even hunts boar hog for food sometimes, but even he didn’t want to go near the critter. I even seen it bare it’s teeth and give a vicious look as it scurried by. It was as if it wanted to bite and demean me. The only thing we could think to do was call police.

I called Clermont police and told them the problem. Honestly, I was embarrassed and hoped the operator would tell us what to do. She wasn’t sure what to do but did send an officer. The first officer was a white guy with a Tom Selleck mustache. He was courteous but explained rodents were outside of his jurisdiction. I didn’t understand this and wasn’t sure if he was joking, but he seemed very serious. He did say that he would try to help.

Now my grandson, who gets a little impatient and impulsive sometimes, felt the officer wasn’t acting fast enough. My grandson frantically called police for more help. It didn’t help that he thought the rodent, who was now in the commode, was having babies. I later learned there was miscommunication between him and his common law wife when she was just speculating what the rodent might be doin in the toilet. My grandson called for backup and told the operator the other officer needed help. My grandson told me he feel sorry for the stresses he put on the police operator but said she was very professional and took the problem serious.

A few minutes later another officer arrives. He is a white guy also but no mustache. The officers conversated a bit and then they approach the bathroom. They approached bravely and put us at ease. The mustached officer actually tried to trap the rodent in the toilet with a shut the lid trick, but it was too fast and escaped.

The officer without the mustache suggested they capture the rodent and take it to a rodent habitat. It was clear that the two officers differed on there approach because the other officer pulled out his metal hitting stick. It is possible the unmustached officer was one of those vegitaranism types.

The rodent escaped and was killed by my grandson with a few tentative hits with a stick followed by a decisive whack. (I think the one officer was was let down he didn't get his licks in).

Now I know the officers didn’t do all that much. What they did do was put me at ease and treat us like the decent folks we are and not speak gruff to us like we seen on various cop shows. They even chatted for a few minutes and I could tell the second cop to arrive was kind of sad about the death of the rodent. Thank you Clermont Police.

03-27-2009, 08:27 AM
This morning is the first time I have posted on this site. For you that deduce who I am-- Kudos. For those that say I am the one penning all the negative tings-- wrong; we need to move forward as an agency and improve, but that isn't my style.