PDA

View Full Version : SO Waste

03-07-2009, 03:46 AM
Former Okaloosa County Sheriff's Office Chief of Staff Sabra Thornton undoubtedly brought an impressive resume with her when she joined the agency in early 2008.

But what work she actually performed for her $80,000-plus salary isn't clear at all.

Whatever she did, it wasn't so time consuming that she couldn't also work part-time in Tallahassee.Thornton's job with the Sheriff's Office officially ended today. She was notified earlier this week that her position had been discontinued.

She also was relieved of her duties Friday as a part-time OPS (other personnel services) employee at the Pat Thomas Law Enforcement Academy at Tallahassee Community College.

Doesn't our 60k training director do the same thing?

03-07-2009, 06:11 AM
Or what about our $87,500 per year former #2? He's been reduced to looking over legal cases (can't handle them cause he ain't a lawyer) and federal grants (three of which he's rumored to have forgotten to renew and we lost within the last couple of days). Isn't that about three hours of work a day for a lot of money that in turn would equal a lot of deputies if it comes to layoffs? and aren't we paying for three or more lawyers on retainers for lots of money so why do we need someone to just sit in an office and ask the retainer lawyers what they think? And if we're going to loose grants for lack of someone looking after them then wouldn't that be $87,000 well saved. And of course this position actually comes with an assistant just to look after paper work that's not being submitted on time at an additional salary of $47,000 +or-. So why do we need two positions equaling over $131,500 just to do what our retaining lawyers do already for even more money?

03-07-2009, 06:21 AM

OMG.....I wonder who could have submitted this little bo diddly? Could it be in retaliation for someone's little friend or friends friend having his feelings hurt lately? But perhaps their little friend brought this all on themselves and has no one to blame BUT themselves. You can't go around blaming everything on others but wait i guess you can can't you? And if their little miniscule friend wants to strike back then why don't their diminutiveness do it themselves.

03-07-2009, 06:32 AM
Or what about our $87,500 per year former #2? He's been reduced to looking over legal cases (can't handle them cause he ain't a lawyer) and federal grants (three of which he's rumored to have forgotten to renew and we lost within the last couple of days). Isn't that about three hours of work a day for a lot of money that in turn would equal a lot of deputies if it comes to layoffs? and aren't we paying for three or more lawyers on retainers for lots of money so why do we need someone to just sit in an office and ask the retainer lawyers what they think? And if we're going to loose grants for lack of someone looking after them then wouldn't that be $87,000 well saved. And of course this position actually comes with an assistant just to look after paper work that's not being submitted on time at an additional salary of $47,000 +or-. So why do we need two positions equaling over $131,500 just to do what our retaining lawyers do already for even more money?

Now boys and girls y'all put your weapons away and make peace now before y'all get a spanking! That money buys us a lot more than what you're listing buddy. We also get "blue jean friday" out of it for that same $131,000 which some of us thinks is a bargain at any price! Plus don't forget they're also subcontracting a legal assistant position to come in and help the first two which gives us three people to handle those same three hours of day of work. So you guys please keep your eye on the ball!

03-07-2009, 06:45 AM
Former Okaloosa County Sheriff's Office Chief of Staff Sabra Thornton undoubtedly brought an impressive resume with her when she joined the agency in early 2008.

But what work she actually performed for her $80,000-plus salary isn't clear at all.

Whatever she did, it wasn't so time consuming that she couldn't also work part-time in Tallahassee.Thornton's job with the Sheriff's Office officially ended today. She was notified earlier this week that her position had been discontinued.

She also was relieved of her duties Friday as a part-time OPS (other personnel services) employee at the Pat Thomas Law Enforcement Academy at Tallahassee Community College.

Now who would go to all of this trouble by going into this huge diatribe about Thornton and all of her troubles at the OCSO when all you wanted to do was to slam the TD? Do you think you're fooling anybody with that BS? You would think that you would be a little more subtle than that but you just left a trail of crumbs a mile wide right up to your doorstep! If ya got something to say about him why don't you just say it instead of going up your ass to get to your mouth? Its quite obvious that you have a personal beef with him and its even more obvious who you are because you and your friend slam him every chance you get. I don't know how many times i've heard your mouth rattling on and on about him and your little personal agenda with him all based on some trumped up incident years ago. Better yet why don't you do it to his face. He'll be more than happy to chat with you about your duties as well and bring your friend as well.

03-07-2009, 06:55 AM

Actually with their "employment packages" these two salaries would come to approximately $181,500 plus the money being paid the lawyers on board plus the subcontracted labor of the legal assistant! So what you're saying is that for this we're getting someone to mail legal papers to lawyers and monitor (or fail to monitor) federal grants?

03-07-2009, 02:25 PM
hhmmmmmmmmmmmmm first WS and now the TD so I would assume that JO or SC are next on the list of "those people are picking on me and I want my corner office back!" Nothing ever changes in administration!

03-07-2009, 09:59 PM
Yes, Virginia, there is wasteful spending at the s.o. From the top we have the duly elected sheriff that hires his buddies and campaign contributors to serve in high ranking places.

03-07-2009, 10:58 PM
What does this have to do with KM? Is it true MW makes 60K and gets to teach on SO time???

03-07-2009, 11:11 PM
I would imagine since he's a lieutenant rank he makes lieutenant pay but if you're going to look at so called waste shouldn't you look at ALL waste unless you have a hard on particularly for him. Does anybody notice (for many years running) that whenever the sheriff is out of town that KM is never in the office yet what does his time sheet say. never heard that about MW before but why don't you check his time sheet with that where he is suppose to be teaching. easy enough isn't it but then if you did that you wouldn't be able to spread those juicy rumors would you? And even if he did, which i doubt very seriously, whats the difference between that and running around with subordinates on company time?

03-07-2009, 11:15 PM
You know i hate to see all that crap be drug up again from the sewer but then looks like a particular someone should have left that door closed and not fired a shot over someone else's bow. You throw crap you get crap thrown on you. Oh well things were too quiet for too long. Come on March 31st, it can't come soon enough for the guys who do the real work! And the essence of all this comes down to values of our staff and there's a certain group of people that lost the right to question anyone's values a long time a go! That train can't pull out of the depot soon enough I assure you!

03-07-2009, 11:31 PM
Oh poor baby! Did someone strike a nerve Marc? Now you have to spend the rest of your weekend refreshing this page to look like someone gives a crap about you :devil:

03-07-2009, 11:33 PM
I can do it too...

Sincerely,
A different poster than the one above

03-07-2009, 11:34 PM
See...I did it again!

03-07-2009, 11:36 PM
What does this have to do with KM? Is it true MW makes 60K and gets to teach on SO time???

Didn't you read the thread idiot? Its called SO Waste. Did you think it said something else? So if we're going to talk about SO waste then lets talk about ALL waste. Or you can let it drop and lets move on to other gossip and innuendo's!

03-07-2009, 11:38 PM
Oh poor baby! Did someone strike a nerve Marc? Now you have to spend the rest of your weekend refreshing this page to look like someone gives a crap about you :devil:

If you think just one person has to blog about you then you you're a bigger idiot than i thought. there's plenty of bloggers who will be more than happy to say what they will concerning you!

03-07-2009, 11:41 PM

If you think just one person has to blog about you then you you're a bigger idiot than i thought. there's plenty of bloggers who will be more than happy to say what they will concerning you!

See here we go again!

03-10-2009, 05:01 AM
I can honestly say that KM is a good person and an excellent leader. Anytime I have ever had an issue, idea or problem, KM was open minded and willing to talk to me about it. That is more than I can say for the rest of the Administration. I have nothing personal against the Admin, this is just an observation. KM is a good leader who listens to his subordinates and is always willing to take and give advice to others. MW is not a bad person but I do think his position is a waste of money that could be handled by sworn personnel for a lot less money. I do not know the extent of MW’s experience but it is my understanding that he only worked in probation. Our training is not exactly top notch and I think it is an area we can definitely improve upon. I have noticed over the last several months that morale has reached an all time low at this agency. I think that this is mainly due to the "SMARTCOP" concept that this agency has reverted back to. I think that we should learn the lessons from our past on that one. How can you hold people accountable for crimes that can't be prevented, even if they could be prevented, how do you expect patrol to prevent them when we are understaffed. NEWSFLASH- THE ECONOMY SUCKS AND CRIME IS ON THE RISE, COLLECTING STATS AND BLAMING YOUR EMPLOYEES IS NOT GOING TO STOP IT.

03-10-2009, 04:25 PM
I can honestly say that KM is a good person and an excellent leader. Anytime I have ever had an issue, idea or problem, KM was open minded and willing to talk to me about it. That is more than I can say for the rest of the Administration. I have nothing personal against the Admin, this is just an observation. KM is a good leader who listens to his subordinates and is always willing to take and give advice to others. MW is not a bad person but I do think his position is a waste of money that could be handled by sworn personnel for a lot less money. I do not know the extent of MW’s experience but it is my understanding that he only worked in probation. Our training is not exactly top notch and I think it is an area we can definitely improve upon. I have noticed over the last several months that morale has reached an all time low at this agency. I think that this is mainly due to the "SMARTCOP" concept that this agency has reverted back to. I think that we should learn the lessons from our past on that one. How can you hold people accountable for crimes that can't be prevented, even if they could be prevented, how do you expect patrol to prevent them when we are understaffed. NEWSFLASH- THE ECONOMY SUCKS AND CRIME IS ON THE RISE, COLLECTING STATS AND BLAMING YOUR EMPLOYEES IS NOT GOING TO STOP IT.

I agree with that post. KM is a good guy and he has all of us at heart. Although I don't agree with some of the stuff the admin has been doing I don't think any of them deserve a bashing. I also agree there is too much waste of money that could be utilized in putting more deputies on the road. Some of these overpaid positions need to be re-evaluated. I would start with the Lt. in fleet.

03-11-2009, 04:06 AM
I would imagine since he's a lieutenant rank he makes lieutenant pay but if you're going to look at so called waste shouldn't you look at ALL waste unless you have a hard on particularly for him. Does anybody notice (for many years running) that whenever the sheriff is out of town that KM is never in the office yet what does his time sheet say. never heard that about MW before but why don't you check his time sheet with that where he is suppose to be teaching. easy enough isn't it but then if you did that you wouldn't be able to spread those juicy rumors would you? And even if he did, which i doubt very seriously, whats the difference between that and running around with subordinates on company time?

If were talking about MW he does not have rank, he is a civilian employee. I don't even think he is LE certified. Which is kind of strange seeing how he is in charge of training.

03-11-2009, 04:11 AM

This sound like it was posted by someone who spends alot of time in the front office. HMMM!

03-11-2009, 04:18 AM

This also sounds like it was posted by someone in the front office. HMMM! The only people who really notice when the Sheriff is out of town are Admin. The only people who would be in the front office often enough to know how often KM is out of the office are Admin. HMMM! I wonder who this could be.

03-11-2009, 04:25 AM
You know i hate to see all that crap be drug up again from the sewer but then looks like a particular someone should have left that door closed and not fired a shot over someone else's bow. You throw crap you get crap thrown on you. Oh well things were too quiet for too long. Come on March 31st, it can't come soon enough for the guys who do the real work! And the essence of all this comes down to values of our staff and there's a certain group of people that lost the right to question anyone's values a long time a go! That train can't pull out of the depot soon enough I assure you!

What is happening on March 31'st? Why can't it come soon enough for patrol. You were talking about patrol right. They are the ones who do the real work,

03-16-2009, 01:22 PM
If people took the same dedication in worrying about the admin to their jobs, we would have the best SO in the state.

03-16-2009, 08:39 PM
If Admin took the same dedication in supporting their troops, we would have the best SO in the state.

03-17-2009, 11:47 AM
If Admin took the same dedication in supporting their troops, we would have the best SO in the state.

Some of us who has been around since Maurice Coffman will tell you that is not going to happen.