PDA

View Full Version : Elected Sheriff

03-05-2009, 06:03 PM
As a resident of Dade County for 43 years, I've always wondered why don't we have an elected sheriff? I found out that back in the 1950's the county elected not to have a sheriff and turned the sheriff's office into the Dade County Police or the Metro Police Department.

But I believe that this has given the mayor and the county commission too much power over the police department. I say lets overturn this decision and turn MDPD into MDSO with an elected sheriff elected by voters for 4 years.

This way Pepe El Panadero can have a chance to run for the spot...LOL
All kidding aside we should do this. What is your opinion?

03-05-2009, 10:38 PM
i agree with an elected sheriff. the power is suppose to be in the citizens hands and as of now we have no say.

03-06-2009, 12:27 AM
i agree with an elected sheriff. the power is suppose to be in the citizens hands and as of now we have no say.

Welcome to the wonderful State of Miami-Dade! Being a Home-Rule County has its priveleges! And yes I agree, we should have an elected sheriff.

03-12-2009, 12:09 AM
It seems that Dade County couldn't get an honest sheriff during the years after the war. There were scandals galore and indictments to match.
Dade County was allowed to invoke the Home Rule Charter in order to correct this situation.
The Miami Dade Police Department was, in great part, built by E. Wilson Purdy who was the Director of Public Safety when the department was called the Dade County Public Safety Department. He demanded professionalism from the ranks, he built the Crime lab, the Organized Crime Bureau and was probably the most progressive leader this department ever saw. He was relieved of his command when he started going after politicians and public officials on corruption charges. (The infamous Market Connection)
History is the best teacher, power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely. The Mayor has way too much power and it needs to be balanced by an elected sheriff who will answer to the people and not the County Mayor and a corrupt commission.

03-14-2009, 09:49 PM
An elected Sherrif would be the best way to go. take the power of the Miami-Dade Police department (Dade county Sheriffs Office) and give it to an elected official who we chose. There ar emany good qualified candidates out there who would put their best foot forward to run for the possition. After a term, if we are not happy, guess what, we vote him out. Iy only makes too much sense. It would be good for the moral in general

03-15-2009, 05:55 AM
It's amazing to me how Dade County gets away with violating state law. The Sheriff is a consitutional officer. How the county gets away with saying "ahh...we dont want to do that" is beyond me..

03-26-2009, 12:54 AM
An elected Sherrif would be the best way to go. take the power of the Miami-Dade Police department (Dade county Sheriffs Office) and give it to an elected official who we chose. There ar emany good qualified candidates out there who would put their best foot forward to run for the possition. After a term, if we are not happy, guess what, we vote him out. Iy only makes too much sense. It would be good for the moral in general

Raul Martinez for Sheriff!!!!!