PDA

View Full Version : Sheriff's Plea Deal

03-03-2009, 10:37 PM
5:11 p.m. update

Wakulla Sheriff David Harvey has issued a statement today about his sentencing:

“As sheriff, I should be held to a higher standard and my actions in this matter have not met those standards. For this reason, I accept the court’s disposition and, in turn, accept full responsibility for my conduct and am truly remorseful for the pain I caused. Again, I would like to apologize to the victims of the crash and the general public for my transgressions. It is my duty moving forward to regain your trust and respect.”

5:01 p.m. update

Wakulla County Sheriff David Harvey’s attorney, Fred Conrad, sent a letter today to Gov. Charlie Crist’s office, informing the governor of the sheriff’s sentencing for a hit-and-run crash.

In the letter, Conrad writes: “Please note that Sheriff Harvey, in full acknowledgement of his higher duty to the community, agreed to sentencing terms and conditions far greater than is traditional. Indeed, virtually all cases of this type result in mere fines and court costs for first offenders.

“In addition to both public and private apologies, Sheriff Harvey has agreed to pay full restitution from his own pocket, take leave of office without pay, and accept an administrative probation. He did all of these things in an effort to demonstrate to the citizens he serves that he is truly remorseful and accepts full responsibility for his conduct.

“Simply put, Governor Crist, justice has been served. Let us now turn to the serious business of moving forward to heal the wounds created by the conduct of my client.”

4:27 p.m. update

Senior Judge William Gary accepted a plea today from Wakulla County Sheriff David Harvey for leaving the scene of a crash, a second-degree misdemeanor, said State Attorney Willie Meggs.

As part of the plea deal with prosecutors, Harvey was sentenced to pay $309 in court costs and $50 for the cost of prosecution, Meggs said. He was ordered to write a letter of apology to the victims of the crash, a 39-year-old Tallahassee woman and her 13-year-old daughter, as well as the citizens of Wakulla County. He has to send that letter to be published in the Wakulla News, if they’ll have it.

Harvey has to make restitution to the victim to have her vehicle fixed and to the county to have his vehicle fixed, Meggs said. Harvey was also sentenced to three months of administrative probation, which means he doesn’t have to report to a probation officer. He also has to abstain from alcohol for three months.

The judge also withheld adjudication of guilt, which Harvey's lawyer Fred Conrad said means "he’s not technically convicted of the offense."

"Typically, it’s done when you don’t want a conviction on your record, and it’s done for first-time offenders,” Conrad said.

Conrad said the sheriff won't be subject to random testing for alcohol or drugs.

Gary, a retired judge, was assigned the case by Chief Judge Charles Francis after Wakulla County Judge Jill Walker recused herself. In her order, she wrote that there was a conflict of interest for her to preside over the case since having a good working relationship with the Wakulla County Sheriff’s Office is crucial for the courthouse, Meggs said.

http://www.tallahassee.com/article/20090303/NEWS01/903030312&referrer=FRONTPAGECAROUSEL

03-06-2009, 03:59 AM
The thing that gets me is that no one is going to Monitor his no alcohol provision.

03-06-2009, 05:23 PM
The thing that gets me is that no one is going to Monitor his no alcohol provision.

This guy pled guilty to slow or stop any further investigation. What is disturbing that the people who decide these things are apparently letting this occur.

03-09-2009, 10:00 PM
What do you expect. His buddy Willie let this fly through.....

03-10-2009, 06:57 PM
What do you expect. His buddy Willie let this fly through.....

Brother Mason huh? Maybe a good reporter will look at this one day.