PDA

View Full Version : Budget cuts bad??

03-03-2009, 08:19 PM
I'm 19 years old and will be graduating the academy (in a different county) in December. I know most of you are going to say I'm to young or that I should go to college or the military first. But, would it even be worth my time to try and apply to this agency with all the budget cuts? If its not the budget cuts then what would be the other reason? Can it be discrimination against my age? Saying I don't have enough life experience? Ive seen s7's, s32's, 76 D's, child abuse cases, Ive been swung on, spat at, hit, fought, handled traffic stops, traffic crashes, dealt with drunks and deadbeats, foot pursuits, searched houses and so on, but for FREE as an Explorer. Worst of all Ive been to 3 Deputies funerals... Ive been an explorer for 5 years. I hope that can count as something.. Please someone let me know so I know if I'm wasting my time or not..
Thank You...
Hopefully a future brother

03-03-2009, 11:48 PM
Go ahead and apply. It couldn't hurt. They dont discriminate against age.

03-05-2009, 01:49 PM
I know you do not want to hear it, but you do need to at least get your 2 year degree if you want to work here. Sheriff Judd is huge on education.

03-05-2009, 04:16 PM
I know you do not want to hear it, but you do need to at least get your 2 year degree if you want to work here. Sheriff Judd is huge on education.

That's understandable, Ive heard that a lot throughout my years of explorers. I'm blinded by the fact that I wanna get out there and work. lol I know you guys think I'm crazy but what can you expect from young rookies. Plus now you can get your degree from home while you work. It'll be hard but at least I'll be doing what I love while getting a better education. I'll stay a slick sleeve for a while but that's a decision I have to make. Hopefully Sheriff Judd will see how dedicated I am for this career and give me a chance. I appreciate the good feed back and I can take the criticism. Also can I get some feed back on your agency? How is it working there? Fourth largest county in Florida is a lot of responsibility. Keep up the good work!! I hear nothing but good things about you guys and gals!!

03-09-2009, 08:34 PM
Education is very important. Especially for someone with no experience. But it is not required to have a degree, of any type, to get hired at PCSO.

I know a lot of deps that have been hired and did not have a degree.

That being said, it is a lot easier to get a degree before starting a career at any LEA.

Once you get on shift work, or face the demands of the job, it is very taxing to work and get an education. Not that a lot of people aren't doing it. I did it a few years ago and I thought I'd never finish it....BUT, I did.

Chaos
03-14-2009, 08:48 PM
Get a four degree in something and go federal. Don't go local !

03-20-2009, 02:32 PM
If you want to save money, fire the top 4 and save over $400,000, and hire may be 16 new deputies.

03-20-2009, 05:37 PM
Last time I checked they did just add 16 new deputy positions.....

03-20-2009, 05:59 PM
I don't meat what the county commission allows the sheriff to hire 16 per year, the top four needs to be eliminated and hire an additional 16 which is 32 deputies per year.

03-22-2009, 10:31 PM
Please apply, we always need new Deputies. I just hope you dont have any visible tattoo's. Gold teef's are fine, but no tattoo's

03-25-2009, 07:58 PM
Please apply, we always need new Deputies. I just hope you dont have any visible tattoo's. Gold teef's are fine, but no tattoo's

Grillin wit da gold toofus.... :evil:

03-26-2009, 05:56 AM
Gold toofus are part of the heritage yo. don't knock it till you try it.

03-27-2009, 04:13 PM
get as much education you can but the best way to learn is by doing. Those books dont tell all. Seeing the idiots in action is better than any book. Use street smarts and youll get by. Im rooting all all you who do that job. god bless and thanks

03-29-2009, 08:09 PM
Thanks to all who gave me positive and enlightening feed back. I appreciate all the support. I believe I have found my calling and I'm going to try and get there no matter what I need to do. Thanks again. Hopefully will see you soon. Stay safe.