PDA

View Full Version : New departmen issued phones

02-19-2009, 01:41 PM
Ok so maybe it is just me but does anyone understand why we got rid of Nextel and went to Verizon? I know that tech services said that it was saving the departmen alot of money, but if that is the case why are we paying $10 a month pay roll deduction instead of $5 like it was previously? Plus the phones SUCK!!! Every review on these phones are horrible, maybe it's just me.

02-19-2009, 08:18 PM
I know the phones are crap because I use one for my personal phone. It was free. They are saving money by giving us a crap phone and making us pay more for it. Whats next? Flip-Flops instead of boots?

02-20-2009, 12:52 AM
To: A.C. Slater/Screetch Powell/Lisa Turtle/Jessie Spanno/Kelly Kapowlski

Hey Guys! Just to let you know, got called down to the Sheriff's Office today where Sheriff Belding took my Nextel away. No worries though because he issued me this totally radical and tubular Verizon one. Yeah sure it costs more, but knowing that paying more is benefiting someone else makes it so worth it! Oh yeah, but what they do not know is how gnarly I look when I rock out with it in the halls. Since I have to pay more, can someone spot me at the "Max" later?

See you at recess,
Zack :devil:

http://www.zackmorrisphone.com/home.html (copy and paste to address bar above)

02-23-2009, 06:26 PM
Here is an idea, If you do not like the phone then do not use it. $10 bucks a month for cell service....yeah what a strech. Loser.

02-23-2009, 07:52 PM
How about I forfeit my $10 a month for the cell phone and in return give it to you. That way you can use it to buy a dictionary and learn how to spell. (S-T-R-E-T-C-H)

Always keep educating yourself,

02-23-2009, 08:40 PM
How about I forfeit my $10 a month for the cell phone and in return give it to you. That way you can use it to buy a dictionary and learn how to spell. (S-T-R-E-T-C-H)

Always keep educating yourself,

Ha ha ha... Not you? Yeah, have to give Zack credit, he got ya fair and square. Either way you both are a trip. Needed a laugh after the BS I had to deal with at work today.

02-24-2009, 06:29 PM
YES HE DID. some of this stuff is rather funny, some stupid and some just are not right. but when you need a laugh this stuff seems to work great. stay safe out there.

02-24-2009, 10:13 PM
Well, *Not you* The reason people are complaining about the phones is because the price went up from what the price was when we had sprint. This is supposed to be saving the agency money, well obviously it is because we are paying more, and i could care less about using the department phone for private calls. But instead of getting screwed and having to pay a $1 a minute for a phone call that a civilian may deem a PERSONAL CALL I opted to pay the $10 instead of having to pay alot more and possibly get in trouble for it. So if this bothers you so much you can have my phone and my minutes i have my own, thanks for the input. It was not helpful at all.

02-28-2009, 03:45 PM
The cell phone is junk without walkie-talkie.

03-01-2009, 09:38 PM
Yeah whats next, taking our shotguns away and replacing them with the "SuperSoaker 300" in order to save money on ammo? Sad part of it is that the same manufacturer of the "SuperSoaker" makes our phones too, PlaySkool! Good thing we have Sgt/Lts working in top dollar positions that civilians could handle for 1/3 less $$$$.

03-11-2009, 12:43 PM
The reason is that the Nextel's emit a strong radiation that causes denial, self delusion, and blindness to the obvious. This radiation has been negatiely affecting certain members and creating health hazards.

You can see how now barely a month after having that dangerous radiation removed the sheriff has suddenly gained clarity and insight about what is going on around him and allot of supervisors have gained the clarity to see that they are tired of getting fukkked over by the ginny brothers and maybe someone should start standing up for themselves and having some balls to not roll over and let themselves get screwed again like always.

Hey Ferrantes! Can you hear me now? Good!

03-12-2009, 02:51 AM
Hey Ferrantes! Can you hear me now? Good!

I'm LMAO! :snicker: :snicker: :snicker: :snicker: :snicker:

10-26-2009, 02:01 AM
We are coming up to a year. The phones are still bad and you get a lot of dropped calls. When are we going back to NEXTEL?

10-26-2009, 02:04 PM
You're never going to get nextels back.

A certain civilian was approached by Verizon on this great deal. The end result was we pay more for less. So the civilian went ahead, with little questioning from the command staff. This civilian was even offered the opportunity to provide us with the two way feature ("push to talk"), which the phones are already equipped with, but the civilian decided to denied us use of this feature, because it was not important to them. We even offered to pay for the feature, Which I inquired about. I found the feature was five dollars more a month. I believe many of us would of paid the five dollars to keep the feature.

On another note, Verizon also approached FMPD. Since FMPD practices consulting with its members (Union negotiations), Verizon was told to go elsewhere for business, somewhere like LCSO.

The point it the agency does not what you to have input on the decisions they make. Look on the bright side, it's much easier having decisions made for you, Isn't it? I bet you can't wait to come in on a Monday, to find out they switched our insurances, and now we are responsible for paying in to the "great new insurance", at the tune of $$$$$, you fill in the blanks.

Don't believe me? Think back to last year when the agency was sending emails out about Hummana (the cheapest insurance, with the worst reputation, according to physicians, many of which won't even accept Hummana). ladies and gentlemen It's going to happen. We were 1.75 million dollars in the red this year, for insurance.

Do You see where I am going with this? Think about on November 17 and 18. Start providing input about what is important to you.

10-26-2009, 04:08 PM
Who was the civilian, and why where they making the decision for the agency, I'll bet it was one who also got a raise when we did not.

10-26-2009, 10:14 PM
Who was the civilian, and why where they making the decision for the agency, I'll bet it was one who also got a raise when we did not.

You are correct, a substantial raise.

strike3
10-26-2009, 11:25 PM
There already is "push to talk". It's called a RADIO! Heaven forbid someone might have to get on the radio to talk instead of a cell phone. Take all the cell phones and cancel all of them and let everyone use the radios. What would the world become if we didn't have cell phones at an incredible expense and had to use the radios? Talk about spoiled...we don't have push to talk, let's cry and blame everyone about the loss of a luxury. Maybe if we had a union they would convince the world that we need push to talk on our cell phones so we don't have to use the radios. Give me a break! Get over it, stop the whining and get back to work.

10-27-2009, 12:10 AM
There already is "push to talk". It's called a RADIO! Heaven forbid someone might have to get on the radio to talk instead of a cell phone. Take all the cell phones and cancel all of them and let everyone use the radios. What would the world become if we didn't have cell phones at an incredible expense and had to use the radios? Talk about spoiled...we don't have push to talk, let's cry and blame everyone about the loss of a luxury. Maybe if we had a union they would convince the world that we need push to talk on our cell phones so we don't have to use the radios. Give me a break! Get over it, stop the whining and get back to work.

Spoiled? Whining? Please tell us how you really feel....

Here's some insight:

Everyone in the agency does not use radios.

Push to talk was very useful to non Road Patrol units/CID/K-9/SWAT/Narcs etc..

Push to talk was used to communicate with outside agencies when responding to multi jurisdictional calls.

Push to talk SAVED the agency thousands of dollars every month, we are currently VERY over budget, due in part to not projecting the minutes usage without push to talk.

10-27-2009, 03:51 AM

Lets talk about this from a safety aspect. In the last 3-4 months I can remember several times when our radios went down for hours at a time. Sorry bro.......but in our line of work we always need a backup plan. The PTT phones were better in EVERY aspect of law enforcement. I can guarantee radio traffic has probably increased since the nextel's were done away with. Much non-essential communication was done by the nextel PTT. Now with 10-20 Deputies per channel at a time, its hard to even get your traffic across when you need to. Bring back the Nextel's and charge me $25 a month if its a money issue. I would rather be connected by some form of communication when our expensive radio system fails then trying to call people with a crappy phone that drops call non stop and can only connect to 1 person at a time. Group connect option was a great feature the entire unit or district was utilizing.

10-27-2009, 11:24 AM

Lets talk about this from a safety aspect. In the last 3-4 months I can remember several times when our radios went down for hours at a time. Sorry bro.......but in our line of work we always need a backup plan. The PTT phones were better in EVERY aspect of law enforcement. I can guarantee radio traffic has probably increased since the nextel's were done away with. Much non-essential communication was done by the nextel PTT. Now with 10-20 Deputies per channel at a time, its hard to even get your traffic across when you need to. Bring back the Nextel's and charge me $25 a month if its a money issue. I would rather be connected by some form of communication when our expensive radio system fails then trying to call people with a crappy phone that drops call non stop and can only connect to 1 person at a time. Group connect option was a great feature the entire unit or district was utilizing.

Well put,

You see here is the real kicker, Nextel/Sprint isn't more expensive, it's cheaper. Nextel/Sprint offered the LCSO a deal that is several thousand dollars a month cheaper than the plan from Verizon. We are spending/losing money every month for an inferior product/service. We don't even have a contract with Verizon, we could switch back tomorrow if we wanted.

Nextel/Sprint also offers a Blackberry with push to talk, cheaper than what we are using now.

FMPD/Collier/FBI/FDLE/all using Nextel/Sprint with push to talk, for good reason. Why are we still using Verizon? In today's leaner budget, why are we spending thousands of dollars per month more on a product that no one is happy with?

10-27-2009, 12:37 PM
Again I ask who was the civilan that was given a raise; and made that decision; maybe there was a deal like what Office Depot gives us.

fifedom
10-27-2009, 01:55 PM
We are coming up to a year. The phones are still bad and you get a lot of dropped calls. When are we going back to NEXTEL?
NEXTEL SUCKS AND VERIZON SUCKS-used to have Alltel-they were great they they got bought out by Verizon and the day they switched, I've gotten a dropped call EVERY FCKIN DAY and poor signal reception and basically just poor service even tho I live in the same house, same phone. I called to complain and have been into the office-they say they don't have enough towers to cover the users they have-that's why I switched years ago from verizon to Alltel and now I'm back to square one. The govt needs to get involved-if you can't offer the service-then get out of it-what a monopoly-metro doesn't offer enough towers and ATT is the same way

10-27-2009, 05:41 PM
NEXTEL SUCKS AND VERIZON SUCKS-used to have Alltel-they were great they they got bought out by Verizon and the day they switched, I've gotten a dropped call EVERY FCKIN DAY and poor signal reception and basically just poor service even tho I live in the same house, same phone. I called to complain and have been into the office-they say they don't have enough towers to cover the users they have-that's why I switched years ago from verizon to Alltel and now I'm back to square one. The govt needs to get involved-if you can't offer the service-then get out of it-what a monopoly-metro doesn't offer enough towers and ATT is the same way

Thanx? nonsense is always helpfull

fifedom
10-27-2009, 07:58 PM

and why is it nonsense-sometimes the truth hurts - you must work 4 sucko verizo-as a sup, I want a phone that works

10-27-2009, 08:28 PM

and why is it nonsense-sometimes the truth hurts - you must work 4 sucko verizo-as a sup, I want a phone that works

Nice interweb speech you have going on there kid. I bet all of your X-box friends are impressed.

It's nonsense because you bizarrely stated that every carrier is horrible. Well great for you.

Let's apply your logic,
Publix is more expensive than Walmart. Target doesn't sell size thirteen shoes. It's hard to find *Edited by Mod 610 TOU Violations* my size. You post nonsense. :devil:

strike3
10-27-2009, 09:58 PM
"Much non-essential communication was done by the nextel PTT. "

Maybe conversation on-duty should be limited to essential communications? There is a novel thought. If you need to communicate while you are working then it should be essential communications dealing with work. If you want to talk about non-essential matters, use your own cell phone. Cell phones are great when we had the money. Now we don't have the money. Simple as that. Something has to go. I would rather it be the phones than my job or anyone else's. By the way, did you know the IRS just ruled that personal cell phone use on company phones is a taxable benefit? I know for a fact one agency has started charging their employees for their personal calls on issued phones. Not only do they have to pay, they have to review the records and show which calls were required and which were "non-essential".

10-27-2009, 10:05 PM

Maybe conversation on-duty should be limited to essential communications? There is a novel thought. If you need to communicate while you are working then it should be essential communications dealing with work. If you want to talk about non-essential matters, use your own cell phone. Cell phones are great when we had the money. Now we don't have the money. Simple as that. Something has to go. I would rather it be the phones than my job or anyone else's. By the way, did you know the IRS just ruled that personal cell phone use on company phones is a taxable benefit? I know for a fact one agency has started charging their employees for their personal calls on issued phones. Not only do they have to pay, they have to review the records and show which calls were required and which were "non-essential".

You sound down right disgruntled. Maybe this isn't the right line of work for you, if something as petty as cell phones gets you all worked up.

Oh noes the IRS is going to tax us! LOL

10-28-2009, 02:26 AM
The IRS also needs to know about the civilians issued LCSO cars; they should be reporting there use as income also; but I am sure it is another thing to LOL over.

10-28-2009, 02:49 AM

Ok, I will value your opinon on the matter, but leave you with this question......Have you ever been on duty and in need of "ESSENTIAL COMMUNICATION" but can not raise anyone? Can you remember the amount of times our million plus dollar communications system, I.E. Radios, CADS, Network Cards, have gone out of service. We drop one of those, especially verbal communication, a safety issue arrises. All I was stateing is that the Nextel's offered a superior service and options that best fit law enforcement applications. As is said above, charge me more if it is a money issue. I would rather be safe than sorry with another form of communication should the radios fail AGAIN. While not talking for everyone, I would venture to say that if you took a survey, nearly ALL Patrol units would want the Nextels back. By the way......non-essentail radio communication IS WORK RELATED! Everytime I use my work phone its work related! I still pay for a seperate personal phone, and the extra for personal use of the work phone. OH YEA!!!!!! WE DO HAVE THE MONEY! NEXTEL IS CHEAPER THAN CURRENT VERIZON! SO WHAT IF THE IRS CHARGES ME! AS FAR AS I AM CONERNED THE MONEY DEDUCTED FROM MY CHECK IS A WORK RELATED EXPENSE. SAFTEY IS KEY TO KEEPING PEOPLE SAFE! NOT SAVEING 5 BUCKS A MONTH AND MAKEING SOMONES RELATIVE AT VERIZON LOOK LIKE A GOLDEN CHILD FOR LANDING A HUGH LCSO CONTRACT!

10-28-2009, 03:31 AM
Cell phones cannot be taxed. The admin is on top of things and by charging us a small fee to use to phone it is no longer a benefit. Great job, I just wish they cancel this Verizon contract. The walkie talkie offers so many benefits that were already listed. It is not a luxury, but a work essential tool. The camera phone is a luxury, although it can be useful, I would much rather have contact with my squad in the event radios go down.

+ After a major storm Nextel is quick on the ball to get the network up and running for LE use, even when civilians get zero bars.

10-28-2009, 03:49 AM
pparently someone wasnt a cop in 2004, or didnt have a Nextel. During Charlie Nextel was the first to fail and the last restored. Verizon continued to work the entire time.

10-28-2009, 11:31 AM
pparently someone wasnt a cop in 2004, or didnt have a Nextel. During Charlie Nextel was the first to fail and the last restored. Verizon continued to work the entire time.

Do you argue just for the sake of arguing? Really, saying that these people weren't "COPS" because of some snarky comment to make you feel superior, and you are dead wrong on top of that.

First point, you are wrong, verizon as well as all the carriers had interruptions in service, I never lost push to talk.

Second, In January 2005, Sprint bought Nextel, so there goes your theory.

Third, no one is saying Nextel is the best company, At&T has better/faster service. What is being said is, Push to talk is needed (verizon has the feature but it uses a different band then Sprint/Nextel that is horrible) Sprint/Nextel offers the most reliable cost effective phone for are agency.

Fourth, argue this point; we are spending in excess of ten thousand dollars a month more on Verizon then we did with Sprint/Nextel. That is the point, not if your Moms plan is cheaper or how big your circle of friends is.

What would and extra hundred thousand dollars a year buy the Agency? that is the question we should be asking.

03-28-2010, 09:32 PM
http://www.motorola.com/Consumers/US-EN ... i680-US-EN (http://www.motorola.com/Consumers/US-EN/Consumer-Product-and-Services/Mobile-Phones/Motorola-Brute-i680-US-EN)

Same as Verizon but with PTT.

03-31-2010, 01:08 PM
What would and extra hundred thousand dollars a year buy the Agency?
[/b]

Follow the money. What kind of campaign contributions came from the local Verizon reps??? Therein you will find you're answer.

03-31-2010, 09:52 PM
What would and extra hundred thousand dollars a year buy the Agency?
[/b]

Follow the money. What kind of campaign contributions came from the local Verizon reps??? Therein you will find you're answer.

I doubt Verizon donate to the campaign, they donated to the pocket of who ever got this contract.

04-18-2010, 04:26 AM
nextel phones have the highest security defense. As far as I know nextel is one of the top least likely to be intercepted, or compromised/infiltrated to prevent info leakage. why did they get rid of them? too expensive?