PDA

View Full Version : violation member notification

02-19-2009, 02:12 AM
Subject: violations
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 8:33 pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Attention Karl Lounge,

Pinellas Lodge 43 Fraternal Order of Police hereby places you on notice to cease and desist your actions and solicitations involving the formation of Skyway Lodge 166 in violation of FOP43 membership.

Jack Peterson
Pinellas FOP43 President

cc: FOP43 AUTOMAIL, FOP43 Representative Agencies

02-19-2009, 02:32 AM
Sorry Jack, It is my understanding that the new lodge has overwhelming support of Pinellas Park members...

Your little note didn't help your cause any.

But thanks for the visit.

02-19-2009, 07:46 AM
Since this BS “cease and desist order” was made in a public forum, I’ll respond in a public forum. Thus far everything I’ve done has been up front, professional and cordial. That is until I spoke to the current board and the current president (Jack Peterson for those that don’t already know) who said “I will never support anything you do”.

The Reader’s Digest version is simple: The smaller agencies (bargaining units) in south Pinellas County have NO voice at Lodge 43. We have very similar problems and share common physical boundaries. A common theme that has arisen is these same agencies want the ability to decide for themselves what their future holds. Obviously, the feasibility of each agency forming an independent lodge is not logical or financially feasible. It’s that reason that I made the suggestion of forming a new Lodge. A smaller lodge comprised solely of the interested municipalities. A Lodge that has Board representation from EVERY member agency. A Lodge that is able to build partnerships with organizations within our cities and give back to the communities that we serve. A Lodge that is willing to get involved in local, state and national politics so we can have an impact on our future.

I openly approached the Board of Lodge 43 and presented our desires in hope that they would understand our position and support the seamless transfer of members and bargaining unit representation. I had hoped that they would understand the desires and support of our agencies; they did not. Instead, I have been accused of “soliciting their members” and most importantly “trying to take away members that they have a vested financial interest in”. Correct me if I’m wrong but, I believe it’s the members who pay the dues, therefore have a vested financial interest in Lodge 43. I left that meeting, for the first time, believing that it was all about the money and not what matters most to each agency. If it had mattered, Jack would have approached each agency during the past month to ask what he could do to prevent each unit from leaving. He knew my intentions as I told him on the phone when he asked “what are your intentions with the Lodge”. My answer: “I intend on forming a new south county Lodge that can better address the needs of the smaller bargaining units”. Any other information relating to that is a flat out lie!

Here’s where I stand: I firmly believe that an independent lodge is the best way to serve all of our members. I am very supportive of the FOP as it’s an exceptional organization, which is why I want to remain affiliated as a new Lodge. I also highly respect the PBA and believe we should work closely with them and the Fire Department to achieve our mutual goals of improving public safety. Together we can be three very powerful voices.

I’m awaiting a state ruling to determine if we can form a joint Lodge that will serve St. Petersburg, Pinellas Park, Gulfport, St. Pete Beach and Kenneth City. If they say yes, I will move forward with the formation of the lodge as planned. If the state says no, I will respect their interpretation of the Constitution and By-laws and will not continue with my plans to form a new lodge at which time I’ll look at what the best options are to serve my bargaining unit.

It’s as simple as that and will dam sure not be affected by idle frivolous threats to “cease and desist”.

Thank you for your time,

Karl Lounge
Charter member of Skyway Lodge 166 (if the state allows it)

02-19-2009, 01:52 PM
I suggest the State Lodge look very carefully at this suggestion. I for one do not like what has taken place at Lodge 43 which is why I am a supporter of this move.

This feels like a bully attempt by heavy handed PCSO supporters to keep he municipal officers in line.

Sorry, I want out.

02-20-2009, 02:25 AM
Posted from the Gulfport PD Page. If you are not aware of what is going on, call Adam or John Hicks for information on what is happening at our FOP.

To President Peterson:

Just a brief acknowledgement, contrary to popular opinion, Karl Lounge is a well liked and a well-respected person in Gulfport, and also South County. Most of our officers know Karl and have worked with him several times. Due to this; we have a great deal of respect and admiration for him.

Though I can speak for my fellow officers, I personally am not happy with the things I have observed and heard coming from Lodge 43 fairly recently. It has become painfully obvious that the “only” concern Lodge 43 has, is the Pinellas County Sheriff’s Office. Our officers work just as hard as, are just as effective and are in just as much danger as any other deputy, but it appears that we are treated as second-class citizens by the members of the Lodge. Now that we are looking for options that better serve us, you feel that you have to impose your ideas on us and disregard these options that we consider. That is ever so apparent when you adamantly oppose something that we feel will improve our situation. I can only think of two reasons why you would choose this action

They are:

1) You do not want to lose our money, even though it is only 18 or so members

2) You are afraid to lose members, and the members equal power.

Now please understand, I am writing this in direct response and correspondence to the most recent actions of Lodge 43. I have been an FOP member for the better part of 10 years, and for the last seven with lodge 43. I have also served the officers of Gulfport as their Rep for the last 3 ½ years. During these years I have never asked for anything from the lodge, and have given my own time and energy to do the best I can do for my fellow officers. Mind you, this was done with little to no help from the lodge, with tremendous exceptions for Ken Afienko, and Karl Lounge, we feel they both have been a great asset to our team.

In addition I find it extremely unprofessional and disrespectful that it was stated in a public forum the cease and desist to Karl Lounge when this clearly should have been handled in a private correspondence, furthermore, these actions are obviously the direct result in the presidents personal issues with Karl Lounge.

In conclusion I feel this correspondence clearly represents the feelings and concerns for the actions that have taken place and felt by our particular part of the membership.

Jesse Kellington
Gulfport Police Department

02-22-2009, 09:09 PM
To Karl Lounge,

I've never met you or even heard of you but I wanted to wish you the best of luck on getting a new lodge formed for South County. I totally agree with your stance of the issues with Lodge 43.

To Jesse Kellington,

Excellent letter written I must say!

I'm a former member of the SO and FOP43 and due to the budget crisis my position was cut. When I was first hired, the FOP reps were right there to talk about the lodge, tell us how we need to get involved and quickly solicit our money. During the final days and as the rumors were flying most of the FOP members only seemed concerned with the ones who weren't going to be effected by the cuts (my opinion). They knew not all of us could attend the meetings dealing with the budget issues or pending layoffs, and as a dues paying member I would have thought they could have been a little more supportive and maybe provided a phone call to inform us on what actions they were taking or trying to take, or maybe provide some supportive or career advice. They never even had a rep come out on the day we let go, I heard (rumor mill) the board said they weren't invited. Well if you're my REPRESENITIVE, and I’m paying monthly dues for this, I would hope you would have ignored that invitation and came anyway, show the support! Hell, the agency made sure the media was invited; they even had the press release out before the Sheriff talked to us. The news channels were in the parking lot requesting to talk with us. Even on the last day no rep was present, but they remembered to take their dues out of our last checks. How's that for insult. Even though I'm no longer a Pinellas Leo, I would still support the creation of a new lodge which tends to the individual needs of the small south county agencies.

Now this is not supposed to be a Bash on Lodge 43, just telling my experience. I do feel they only cater to a certain few and I could see Karl's and Jesse's point. Gentleman best of luck and I hope to see "Skyway Lodge 166" up and running soon.