PDA

View Full Version : Shifting Positions

01-26-2009, 05:38 AM
SEBRING - In an effort to foster a "healthy organization," the Highlands County Sheriff's Office has transferred some members of its staff to new duties.

"You have to raise a healthy organization and constantly prepare for the future," Sheriff Susan Benton said. "If folks stay in the same jobs forever, you really are not doing the organization any good. People need to know how to do other jobs within the organization."

Sgt. Kenny Pendarvis, for example, was transferred from squad sergeant to classifications, where he will deal with identifying inmates.

Benton said the transfers do not affect the staff members' pay or rank.

Patrol Division Captain Paul Blackman said a change in his unit is the transfer of Sgt. John Barcinas from patrol to the role of school resource officer (SRO).

The present SRO supervisor, Sgt. Monica Sauls, who has held that particular post for four years, will train Barcinas on the specifics of the assignment.

"We're kind of flipping those roles and we're bringing in a more broadly experienced uniform patrol sergeant who has school resource experience, but also has investigative experience, patrol experience and supervisory experience to kind of balance out that unit's prevention and enforcement elements," Benton said.

Major Mark Schrader added that Sauls has never been a road patrol supervisor.

"She lacks that element of the experience, so that's pretty much the change there," Benton said.
Captain Jeff Barfield said the importance of transferring staff to different responsibilities is to ensure the various departments have "backup personnel."

"I think part of our obligation as administration is to train people to replace us," he said.

Another of the transfers was moving a bailiff to the investigations division.

"His only sole function is the continual tracking of the sex offenders and predators," Benton said.

Besides keeping the organization healthy, Schrader said the transfers can also make deputies looking to advance become more marketable.

"If someone wants to get promoted from a sergeant to a lieutenant (or) captain, the CEO wants them to be well rounded," he said.

01-26-2009, 09:26 AM
The present SRO supervisor, Sgt. Monica Sauls, who has held that particular post for four years, will train Barcinas on the specifics of the assignment.

Major Mark Schrader added that Sauls has never been a road patrol supervisor.

"She lacks that element of the experience, so that's pretty much the change there," Benton said.

Wow. Way to throw someone under the bus and then kick it in reverse....

01-26-2009, 10:24 PM
Well the county is loosing out on one of the best things. Monica has been great with the kids. You should see her in a restaurant or just out somewhere. All the kids go up and talk to her. Having known her personally I have at times felt sorry for her, she goes to dinner and over half of the time she spends talking to kids. Then she actually enjoys this. Why oh why would you move her. Well other than because of obvious payback. Well as the mother of a 5th grader I am sad to see her go, but I am glad she is currently there and will finish the DARE program with my kid. (Selfish I know). John is a good guy and hopefully he will do as good a job as Monica.

01-27-2009, 08:43 PM
It’s all about “POLITICS”. She was a very open and vocal Ron Grimming supporter around the school board employees. Now she’s going to pay “the man”, but in this case it’s the “wo-man”. :lol: :lol:

01-30-2009, 12:59 AM
It’s all about “POLITICS”. She was a very open and vocal Ron Grimming supporter around the school board employees. Now she’s going to pay “the man”, but in this case it’s the “wo-man”. :lol: :lol:

And that's OK? NO, it's not. It's pathetic, for one, and shows the blatant "i'll show her" attitude and overall irresponsibility of the administration. Let's Jeapordize the safety and integrity of a squad (not to mention the public) to "prove a point" and send a message. Good work, huh? Not really. Sgt Sauls is good at what she does with DARE and the kids, and has a stellar reputation for her juvenile role- but she is not a road cop and that was a poor decision on everyone's part. About as well thought out as the "shoot from the hip" article in the paper trying to justify this garbage.

The Ego has landed. :roll:

02-01-2009, 04:47 PM
Too bad, dont' let your dislike of the Sheriff get in the way of certain facts. You yourself set she has never been a road type of deputy, which strengthens my point of view. If you wear the uniform you are, in the end, a Deputy. This goes for CIU, SIU, SVU, SRO, Youth Camp, 911 Coordinator, Bailiff, or any other special branch manned by a D/S. At the end of the day road duties as D/S's is all that we are.
If someone is a D/S that has either never done or done VERY little on the road, well at any given time you can be called on to assume the road duty that is or back bone. As Deputies we should NEVER take for granted a specialized position, because on and given day we could get called back upon for law enforcement (which is again our main responsibility).
Everyone loves Monica and she was a great leader for her division, true. John Barcinas is also a solid person with a ton of leo experience, give hm a fair shot at what he might also bring to the table. And it might be politically motivated, I think we can all pretty much agree on that one. But leave that argueing to those involved with it. I guarantee that as much as we like to think we know about the situation, there is also alot that we do not. At the end of the day it was the Sheriff that put her in that position, and it was her that took it away. Perhaps she should have shown more election time loyalty to the person keeping her in that spot ? If our leader gives you a good spot, or even takes you back even though you bashed the agency in the media in the past, then maybe the loyalty should be returned in kind.

02-01-2009, 09:40 PM
So what about 3 D/S's that were moved to SIU and made Detectives. They didnt have to interview....Also the D/S that is about to go out to SVU.

02-02-2009, 09:47 PM
I'll give ya that one. I never did understand how that can be justified. Besides being the boss and all. If one person has to apply for it and interview then everyone should. Unless no one at all wants it. In which case I guess you have to do what you have to do.
I will say that the more people learn what B.S. investigators have to put up with the more that want no part of it at all. Oh, and the person going to SVU is not going to be a Detective. He is going to assist the unit and their over flow, but not in an investigators capacity.

02-03-2009, 07:48 PM
The three deputies (Tac Team) moved to SIU and were promoted to detective without the interview process. They also got the 5% increase without going through the necessary steps. You have to ask yourself, "How is this fair to all the other detectives/deputies that had to interview/test for their 5% increase". Answer: It's not fair at all, but then again life is not fair.

It should have been posted like every other position, then atleast they would be following the rules that they make "us" follow. Hopefully all the "changes" are done and over with.

02-04-2009, 11:27 PM
The three deputies (Tac Team) moved to SIU and were promoted to detective without the interview process. They also got the 5% increase without going through the necessary steps. You have to ask yourself, "How is this fair to all the other detectives/deputies that had to interview/test for their 5% increase". Answer: It's not fair at all, but then again life is not fair.

It should have been posted like every other position, then atleast they would be following the rules that they make "us" follow. Hopefully all the "changes" are done and over with.

They need the 5% increase..Those roids cost don't you know...

02-06-2009, 05:54 PM
Take your fat arse to the gym, stop eating doughnuts and maybe some day, you might look like the TAC guys!

02-07-2009, 02:29 AM
Take your fat arse to the gym, stop eating doughnuts and maybe some day, you might look like the TAC guys!

Sounds like that poster may have had a case of "ROID RAGE" easy killer!!

02-07-2009, 02:57 PM
Too bad, dont' let your dislike of the Sheriff get in the way of certain facts. You yourself set she has never been a road type of deputy, which strengthens my point of view. Everyone loves Monica and she was a great leader for her division, true. John Barcinas is also a solid person with a ton of leo experience, give hm a fair shot at what he might also bring to the table. And it might be politically motivated, I think we can all pretty much agree on that one. But leave that argueing to those involved with it.

Getting back to the point of this thread ..... :roll:

I don't dislike the sheriff at all. I can like and respect someone, yet still believe they made a CRAPPY decision. Several, actually. The school board is more insulted by the move than anyone. And yes, Monica has never been a road deputy, so NOW 30 years later, NOW this is the time? C'mon, man. That's weak. John B. is a great guy and will do a great job, and neither I nor anyone else ever eluded to the fact that he won't be given a fair shot. Don't read too much into what I said, and I am not arguing. WE ARE ALL involved with this, cause poor leadership decisions ultimately affect all of us and the citizens we serve.

02-07-2009, 04:58 PM
I agree, the timing obviously has meaning. The way I look at it is this though. I am keeping my head down and moving forward with my job. I will not make myself a target (as much as I am able) and will focus to the task at hand. The election is over and now the big man, safe in his position, is on a tear again. I myself have to stay out of this "cleansing" as a means of keeping that pay check coming and staying in good standing. And that's pretty much the long and short of it. Remember that the problems of now are only temporary and the day will come when things will change around again. Hopefully for the better LOL.

LizzieJohnS
02-08-2009, 01:25 PM
I had to laugh when I opened Highlands Today and saw on the front page the article that Benton's monument to ego may yet take another hit from people who care more about what is best for Highlands County than what makes our ego-driven Sheriff happy. And then....lot and behold........on the editorial page was the headline Kudos to Monica Sauls.. I can hear Benton gnashing her teeth now! I need to know a few things: 1) Did Benton think that by removing Monica Sauls from her long-time position in School Resource and D.A.R.E. that few people would notice? 2) Did Benton think that by putting in the newspaper that Sauls has served FOUR YEARS in School Resource/D.A.R.E that people would not remember how many years she has touched, taught, and helped the children.....ALL the children..........of this county? 3) Does she REALLY believe that anyone thinks this move was done in order to foster a "healthy" organization? 4) Is she foolish enough to dismiss the fact that her present position is a direct result of Monica Sauls putting her influence, contacts, and personal assistance behind her when she first ran for office? 5) Does she not realize that the word is already getting around...and FAST... about how she used her best friend/assistant Lisa Burley to stop the teachers of Cracker Trail from presenting Sgt. Monica Sauls with flowers and a plaque during her final D.A.R.E. graduation/celebration? Cracker Trail has always had a special realtionship with Sgt. Sauls because she had her office there for many years. It is a calculated act when Lisa Burley is sent to CTE teachers carrying flowers and a plaque to tell them that there would be no presentations allowed at the graduation BY ORDERS OF THE SHERIFF. Benton did not even have the courtesy to say a word about Sauls' many years of service. She did not have the guts to join the other dignitaries and sit down to watch this amazing celebration. I watched as she stood in the back of the auditorium, arms crossed, and a look of anger on her face when she witnessed the love and respect for Sgt. Sauls. I had to hold in the laughter when the Sebring High cheerleards made their presentation, when the Superintendent made his, and when Transportation made theirs. I suppose Lisa Burley couldn't get to all of them! When a person in authority in our community is allowed to diminish benefits to our children just to satisfy her own agenda, ego, and temper, it says far more about the person in charge than the person she is attacking.

Monica Sauls will do just fine on the road. She had many years in investigations and did well there. She will be an asset no matter where she is assinged for this county.

Many of us, though, will be watching to see what Benton's next move against Sauls will be. We do not think that she will be able to stand the fact that Sauls continues to enjoy the respect of everyone in this county no matter what position she holds. Most of us believe that she will find another way to try to hurt her. But she needs to remember that we are watching!

02-27-2009, 01:28 PM
Your all silly and I wonder what world some of you are living in. "We will be watching?" And what will you do?

Shes the Sheiff and with little exception, can do whatever she wants with her staff. Cry a river, build a bridge and get over it.

03-04-2009, 12:24 AM
Your all silly and I wonder what world some of you are living in. "We will be watching?" what will you do?

Shes the Sheiff and with little exception, can do whatever she wants with her staff. Cry a river, build a bridge and get over it.

So bold! You give great advice. "You're" on the right track, obviously.
Oh, and that unchecked power has done wonders for morale, hasn't it. I am looking forward to the next election. For that matter, so is the school board apparently at least 45+ percent of the county.

Enjoy the ride. :snicker:

03-04-2009, 03:12 AM
Just hold on and keep the spurs in it!!!!!!!