PDA

View Full Version : Promoting at FDLE

12-29-2008, 01:48 AM
What kind of pay increase does an SAS get. How about an ASAC. How about a SAC. I am looking for the percent increase that you get b/c I understand that with salaries being all over the board it is not typically a set amount dollar amount.

12-29-2008, 02:12 AM
Save yourself the effort. It is nominal. You will make more as just an agent with the feds than as a SAC at FDLE. You might as well go work for a PD, SO, or if you are young enough the FEDS. I had an opportunity to promote a few years ago and really did not think a 5% bump in pay (which only came out to about 2500 before taxes) was worth the headaches. I believe when you go from SAS to ASAC you get another 5 or maybe a 10%. It's quite ridiculous when you think of how much they have to do and they don't get compensated for it. Kind of a slap in the face that they only bump up your pay that little amount

12-29-2008, 02:53 AM
There's an old saying at FDLE: "Agent is the best job in the department and SAS is the worst", which is more true today than it was 25 years ago. IIRC, an SAS only gets a 10% bump. With all the additional duties and no OT, an SAS should make at least 20% more than an agent with the same years on the job. An ASAC supposedly gets another 10% bump, but I've heard rumblings that some ASACs have been given only 5%.

12-29-2008, 03:33 AM
If you are interested in promoting, promote by changing jobs and go to an agency that isn't about to lay off 150 agents. You will make more money off that bat and definitely in the long run. And you morons that don't think agents are getting laid off must be living in a fantasy world. Get ready because it's about to get bad.

12-29-2008, 12:32 PM
if you are in South Florida, some local agencies have contracts with Sgts making base pay in the 90's. Work a little court and OT and you are in the $110,000.00 area easy with better benefits and usually a 4 day work week. Think about your family, retirement, health benefits, etc. FDLE at one time was a fair to good place to work... but it has changed and not for the better. Yes, it fits my needs, but I have a pension from a local city. Weight all your options and do whats best for you and your family.

12-29-2008, 12:51 PM
Being that there is no salary step plan in place and there are no expected raises for the next 4yrs, you can only figure what supervisors make based on the current base salary for agents. I've heard the most you get is a 10% increase for each promotion, so it should look something like this: Agent $45,800 SAS $50,380 ASAC $55,418. Now this is only the minimum one could expect to make (well, actually it may be less for a little while if the 4-5% pay cut gets put into place by way of a furlough). A likely scenario is to look at an ambitious agent who was hired 5yrs ago at (then) a minimum salary of just over $41,000. If you add the small amount of raises that have taken place over the past 5yrs (a total of about 10%) to this salary then you come up with a figure close to what a new agent makes today. Thus, if the individual in this scenario takes the test and gets promoted to SAS then he/she will make around $50,000 (or $47,500 with the furloughs).

12-29-2008, 05:25 PM
If the only reason you want to promote is for money....you don't need to be a supervisor! I hate people who want to promote just for the reason of promoting and having the title and/or money. A true leader is not determined by your title or pay grade. And in this day and age, why the hell would anyone, other than those with inflated egos, want to be a supervisor??

12-29-2008, 05:31 PM
Can someone tell me why you're even talking about promotions? I don't see any new SASs for at least 18 months. If someone leaves, other SASs are going to have to split their responsibilities. How can you promote and then lay off Agents???

12-29-2008, 06:23 PM
Policy 3.8, click link at bottom to Career Service Pay - SA to SAS = %15.

12-30-2008, 03:44 AM
Aside from supervisor salary, I am wondering what 15-20 year agents make (post step plan agents). I've been here 3 years and no one can give me a straight answer. Everyone is all secretive about it since everyone apparently makes a different amount. I know it varies based on when you started and what raises you got. I just want an approximate range.

12-30-2008, 03:07 PM
15 - 20 year agents got a good part of the step plan, so that is not a valid predictor. Agents in the ten year range, IF they got the recruitment and retention raises are around mid 60's, (in SoFla.) For example, if you were in the 6-10 range when the $5K raise was offered for a year, you got it. If you had five years on, you didn't get it and now it's not funded. So I have gotten both the $3K, then $5K raises that were only funded for a short time. An agent a year behind me could have missed both, (and did), so it's hard to say what's typical. What's clear is we dont' have a compression problem like FHP. There are senior agents in MROC bumping up around $90K. Now that R&R is not funded, salaries will stay where they are for the foreseeable future. As the older agents retire, we'll fall prey to the compression problem.

That's about as clear as mud, but that's the way it is here.

12-31-2008, 01:36 AM
The bottom line is that it’s hard to gage what you will be making in 5, 10 or 15 years as an agent. We need a step plan! Does anyone know if the commissioner ever propositioned the legislature to reinstate the step plan (prior to the budget crisis this year)?

12-31-2008, 02:18 AM
The bottom line is that it’s hard to gage what you will be making in 5, 10 or 15 years as an agent. We need a step plan! Does anyone know if the commissioner ever propositioned the legislature to reinstate the step plan (prior to the budget crisis this year)?

You all need to get over yourselves! You THINK you deserve so much money and really, you don't. Take a look at yoursef in the mirror, are you REALLY ALL THAT??? I think NOT!! Go think about it at Krispy Cream! :evil:

12-31-2008, 04:08 AM
Why do you have to be so jealous? Stop the hating, and YOU need to grow up!

You all need to get over yourselves! You THINK you deserve so much money and really, you don't. Take a look at yoursef in the mirror, are you REALLY ALL THAT??? I think NOT!! Go think about it at Krispy Cream! :evil:[/quote]

12-31-2008, 11:33 PM
SoFlaLEO,

You are incorrect. I am an 19 year agent and I only got one step. We did get what was almost the same as a step one year but it wasn't a step. The steps went away in 1990 or 1991 if I recall correctly. My current base salary is in the upper 60's. When I worked dope for about 10 years I averaged in the upper 70's to low 80's. I received one of the retention raises ($3,000) and that was it, I missed the $5,000 because I was over the cut-off. Just wanted to clear things up.

NotSoFlaAgt

01-01-2009, 03:12 PM
TO: NotSoFla

I will grant you that I stand corrected with respect to how many steps an agent may have gotten with 15 years, but I submit that using yourself as an example clears nothing up with respect to an average salary of "X" years. Here in MROC, I neglected to mention that we get a salary additive of $5K for the area. Also, most of us achieved the 2% base salary additive for exceeding expectations for many years in a row. (Remember, too, that three years of 2% is greater than 6% due to compounding.) As the raise was not norm, but criteria based, (meaning everyone could get it rather than, say, only 10% of agents), that was common.

Also, as MROC has more agents than any other region, I cite what is more common than using just one person as an example. Many agents here having around ten years on, catching the R&R raises make in the mid 60's. What your situation is has no bearing on the situation of many here. More agents in a large region make for a more statistically valid conclusion. That's all.

01-02-2009, 01:13 AM
Interesting... I'm a ten year agent in JROC and I make $50,423 - that's about $15,000 less than the average 10 year agent in MROC. Also, I have another agent in my squad with 5 years on and he makes around $45,000 (the same starting salary for the last two agent classes). I guess we truly have 7 different FDLE's.

01-02-2009, 08:39 PM
I heard in JROC supervisors didn't exceed agents as much as they do here in MROC. Those little 2%'s added to the base salary begin to count after a while. I have a little less than 10 years on and have never failed to exceed, so when they were funded, I, (and many others), did exceed our core objectives and got the raises. I can't for the life of me understand why a boss would not want his/her agents not to work hard and get rewarded. Tallahassee doesn't reward people for turning money back in that could be legitimately spent.

Another dynamic here is our salary relatives to the locals/counties. It's not at all uncommon for a patrol officer here to break $100K with OT and details. Sgt.'s and Lt.'s range up the $150K+. When FDLE is on a task force, even with refundable OT, we have to flex out and go home while the others feed at the trough. Most bosses here do what they can to help the agents, like the 2%.

What's the comparison between JROC FDLE and the locals, salary-wise?

01-02-2009, 08:47 PM
Interesting... I'm a ten year agent in JROC and I make $50,423 - that's about $15,000 less than the average 10 year agent in MROC. Also, I have another agent in my squad with 5 years on and he makes around $45,000 (the same starting salary for the last two agent classes). I guess we truly have 7 different FDLE's.

I have 8 years and I am making 50,423 too. This place is pretty screwed up. I wonder what I would be making as an 8 year detective or an 8 year federal special agent.

01-02-2009, 09:08 PM
Almost 9 yrs here, a little OT this year = $68,400.

01-02-2009, 09:29 PM
I'm at TROC with a little over 12 years and I'm at $52,000. I suppose your region has a lot to do with it.

01-04-2009, 04:07 PM
Is it true that FDLE does not have a step plan? I was applying with you guys and just assumed you guys had one like everyone else. I am a retired federal agent that was looking for a second job and have been seriously considering FDLE but I want to make sure I know what I am getting into. If someone can please clarify this for me I would appreciate it.

01-05-2009, 03:00 AM
No step plan. Don t come here for money. They have people here with less time than others who make more money because of they caught a retention pay increase. Let me explain. If they decide to give a retention pay increase for years 6 thru 15, They guy at 16 yr and up might have never received it, so the guy at 15 yr would move past the 16 year guy. They also have a 2% increase in pay if you exceed on your evaluation, but if the legislators do not fund it you don t get it. People are all over the chart when it comes to pay. Its not like you get hired at step 1 and top at 5. You get a starting pay, if they give you a pay raise you move up, if they don t like the last 3 years you stay the same. We also are on a 28 day 160 hr work cycle so don t think about getting overtime. I hate the pay but I love who I work with, I try to have fun, do my thing and move on.

Good luck

01-05-2009, 03:34 AM
Put the Wild Turkey down before you start writing 8) Better yet pass it over this way!!!

No step plan. Don t come here for money. They have people here with less time than others who make more money because of they caught a retention pay increase. Let me explain. If they decide to give a retention pay increase for years 6 thru 15, They guy at 16 yr and up might have never received it, so the guy at 15 yr would move past the 16 year guy. They also have a 2% increase in pay if you exceed on your evaluation, but if the legislators do not fund it you don t get it. People are all over the chart when it comes to pay. Its not like you get hired at step 1 and top at 5. You get a starting pay, if they give you a pay raise you move up, if they don t like the last 3 years you stay the same. We also are on a 28 day 160 hr work cycle so don t think about getting overtime. I hate the pay but I love who I work with, I try to have fun, do my thing and move on.

Good luck

01-05-2009, 02:06 PM
Is it true that FDLE does not have a step plan? I was applying with you guys and just assumed you guys had one like everyone else. I am a retired federal agent that was looking for a second job and have been seriously considering FDLE but I want to make sure I know what I am getting into. If someone can please clarify this for me I would appreciate it.

Some of the local agencies have step plans around the state....go to them for that, if not and you already have a retirement coming in, that's the only way you could make it here...

01-07-2009, 01:42 AM
NO step plan in state law enforcement. Plan on no raises for the next few years. If you already have a check coming in, you should be able to make it working for the state.