PDA

View Full Version : Using the term Game Warden

12-24-2008, 06:25 PM
Federal law enforcement officers/agents, correction officers, game wardens, military police officers, special or reserve officers/deputies, or any other such positions which fall outside the above guidelines do not qualify for lateral positions.

While looking for an oportunity to leave FWC I came across a few lateral employment positions. In the description of who is qualified to apply for one of these lateral positions something came up that I think FWC officers need to consider. Do not give yourself the title of Game Warden. In many states Wardens are not considered law enforcement officers or even go through the same training as a police officer. HR people may not look beyond your currenty title to find out that in Florida you are in fact a law enforcement officer. Use the proper title of Wildlife Officer or even better, just say Law Enforcement Officer. Heck, our own agency does not even have law enforcement in its name.

03-27-2009, 07:54 PM
Federal law enforcement officers/agents, correction officers, game wardens, military police officers, special or reserve officers/deputies, or any other such positions which fall outside the above guidelines do not qualify for lateral positions.

While looking for an oportunity to leave FWC I came across a few lateral employment positions. In the description of who is qualified to apply for one of these lateral positions something came up that I think FWC officers need to consider. Do not give yourself the title of Game Warden. In many states Wardens are not considered law enforcement officers or even go through the same training as a police officer. HR people may not look beyond your currenty title to find out that in Florida you are in fact a law enforcement officer. Use the proper title of Wildlife Officer or even better, just say Law Enforcement Officer. Heck, our own agency does not even have law enforcement in its name.

Hope you found a place to go.

04-05-2009, 10:12 PM

I understand you are just trying to help and you make valid points. Yes, in some states a "game warden" is not considered a law enforcement officer and the term on your application could hurt you.

04-07-2009, 01:53 AM
Why use the term at all? You are not a "Game Warden." Enforcing hunting and fishing laws is only part of your job, a big part, but imho not the most important part.

04-07-2009, 02:46 AM
My thoughts are: I think we are REALLY struggling for an identity. The star on the side of the truck MAY help a little bit, time will tell. Refering to us as "Game Warden" Most everyone knows what that is and what they do. Who cares if you work inland or on the coast, refering to us by that name would give us an identity. Instead you have defferent areas refering to us by different names. Sometimes "State LEO", "Fish and Wildlife Officer", or many others. You can go just about anywhere in the state and you stop the general public, MOST of the time they state its the Game Warden, then I have to correct them. Who cares if using the term "Game Warden" is not thought highly of by the FEDS (in the hiring process) unless you are looking to bail. I know that there is probably going to be some backlash for this post, but I am just adding my two cents. Most of the citizens and Sherriff's Offices know what a "Game Warden" does and what their capabilities are.

04-07-2009, 05:46 AM
No backlash at all, why do we get so worked up about the simple things? I have been called game warden, grouper trouper, squirrel patrol, marine patrol, and Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Officer, but if our agency doesn't care, why should I?
I am a law enforcement officer whose primary focus is on enforcing the fish and wildlife laws of Florida and that is fine by me. Other law enforcement agencies, primarily sheriff's offices, are more visible because they deal with everyone in Florida, not just those people who participate in outdoor activities.
Renaming the agency or it's employees is one of the most trivial aspects facing us right now. I keep watching good game wardens, marine patrol officers, FWC officers, or whatever else we are calling ourselves leave everyday, and that concerns me a lot more than my official title.
If the title is important to you, I mean no disrespect, and I cannot disagree with any of the reasons given for the validity of using those titles. I just wish that those in charge of the FWC would better support the backbone of the FWC, the Officer in the field.

stay safe,
Officer/Game Warden/Marine Patrol Officer/FWC Officer/State Law Enforcement Officer(Dude who is sick of all of the above not being taken care of)

04-09-2009, 04:55 PM
My thoughts are: I think we are REALLY struggling for an identity. The star on the side of the truck MAY help a little bit, time will tell. Refering to us as "Game Warden" Most everyone knows what that is and what they do. Who cares if you work inland or on the coast, refering to us by that name would give us an identity. Instead you have defferent areas refering to us by different names. Sometimes "State LEO", "Fish and Wildlife Officer", or many others. You can go just about anywhere in the state and you stop the general public, MOST of the time they state its the Game Warden, then I have to correct them. Who cares if using the term "Game Warden" is not thought highly of by the FEDS (in the hiring process) unless you are looking to bail. I know that there is probably going to be some backlash for this post, but I am just adding my two cents. Most of the citizens and Sherriff's Offices know what a "Game Warden" does and what their capabilities are.Although I agree with most of your post I must say that SOs and PDs in our areas don't fully understand or know our capabilities. A good example of that was during the 04-05 hurricane season. When walking in the door of the EOC I was asked why I was there since "There ain't no alligators in here." I had to explain to the EOC director that we had officers, boats, ATVs, swampbuggies, airplanes, helicoptors, and FWD trucks. Believe it or not, they didn't know. The response was "We thought all ya'll did was critters." Calling us game wardens is like calling Walmart a grocery store. We're a whole lot more.

04-09-2009, 08:50 PM
My thoughts are: I think we are REALLY struggling for an identity. The star on the side of the truck MAY help a little bit, time will tell. Refering to us as "Game Warden" Most everyone knows what that is and what they do. Who cares if you work inland or on the coast, refering to us by that name would give us an identity. Instead you have defferent areas refering to us by different names. Sometimes "State LEO", "Fish and Wildlife Officer", or many others. You can go just about anywhere in the state and you stop the general public, MOST of the time they state its the Game Warden, then I have to correct them. Who cares if using the term "Game Warden" is not thought highly of by the FEDS (in the hiring process) unless you are looking to bail. I know that there is probably going to be some backlash for this post, but I am just adding my two cents. Most of the citizens and Sherriff's Offices know what a "Game Warden" does and what their capabilities are.Although I agree with most of your post I must say that SOs and PDs in our areas don't fully understand or know our capabilities. A good example of that was during the 04-05 hurricane season. When walking in the door of the EOC I was asked why I was there since "There ain't no alligators in here." I had to explain to the EOC director that we had officers, boats, ATVs, swampbuggies, airplanes, helicoptors, and FWD trucks. Believe it or not, they didn't know. The response was "We thought all ya'll did was critters." Calling us game wardens is like calling Walmart a grocery store. We're a whole lot more.[/quote]

That should be on the side of the truck

04-10-2009, 02:09 AM
I don't know what the answer is. It is not my job to create an answer. I don't get paid enough to make those decisions. I just know that the other day at a 7-11, I had a guy take a double look at me and say "You're carrying a gun, are you a cop?" I know people should be smart enough to see a marked truck and someone dressed in all green (jacket on, it was cool), and realize that you are in an official capacity. The public isn't that smart. Dang, I'm confused............None of our green in our uniform matches, we have badges on our trucks, some of us wear goofy looking hats, we DO pick up injured critters. So are we the SO, or the animal control? The people that fish or hunt know who we are, but the rest of the millions in the state of Florida have no clue, and I can see why.

04-10-2009, 01:57 PM
If that same situation happened to me in South FL, I would have responded "me speak no English" or "No, me immigration police"!

04-10-2009, 11:21 PM
Using the term Game Warden is not why people dotn know us...... its because people live in small little worlds... it is out job to educate them about our part of the world.

06-22-2009, 01:38 PM
When I work inland, people will call me or another officer a Game Warden. On the water, to the public we are Marine Patrol officers. The S.O. and P.D. say, Game and Fish or Fish and Game Officer. I work in the panhandle and I do not corrrect them anymore. We will always be those names to the public when working in the woods or on the water. :wink:

06-29-2009, 10:04 PM
True, but I would correct them on the "Fish and Game" officer title. If that is who we were, our collar brass would be FAG.

06-30-2009, 07:41 PM
guest666
When I work inland, people will call me or another officer a Game Warden. On the water, to the public we are Marine Patrol officers. The S.O. and P.D. say, Game and Fish or Fish and Game Officer. I work in the panhandle and I do not corrrect them anymore. We will always be those names to the public when working in the woods or on the water. :wink:

Evidently you don't understand that when the S.O. or P.D. calls you a game warden it is not as a compliment!!!!

06-30-2009, 08:23 PM
I want to apologize for my previous statement because I work with some guys who like the woods and being called a game warden is considered to be a sign of respect from old timers. I'm just a little bitter still because of the merger and I'm getting a little more angry everyday in my old age. Sorry guys :(

06-30-2009, 11:47 PM
I posted this same statement under the thread "Are you a Ranger?"
Please take the time to read it.
Thanks and stay safe out there....

Guys, chill out a minute. I'm the ranger's wife again. I didn't mean to make it FWC vs. DEP LEO. My spouse had 18 years law enforcement behind him. It's not often, but yes, in campgrounds he has worked at he has responded to domestics BEFORE LEO could make it. He knows not to go in alone, thankfully because of his LEO background. And you know the saying, there's never a cop around when you need him. But it takes a few minutes at least at some parks if the DEP officer is on the ground to get to the sites. Most times a ranger is there sooner because there are more of them.
Please, FWC Officers, say when queried "I'm an FWC officer, which is what you may know in your home state as a game warden. We are state law enforcement officers." That should be easy enough for people to understand.
Thanks and stay safe out there. (Some of you, both DEP and FWC know me by the way).

07-01-2009, 08:07 PM
I want to apologize for my previous statement because I work with some guys who like the woods and being called a game warden is considered to be a sign of respect from old timers. I'm just a little bitter still because of the merger and I'm getting a little more angry everyday in my old age. Sorry guys :(

Buy the way, I'm a really stupid old time gfc'er who likes to steal other posters username. And, I am really ashamed when someone calls me a game warden because I know I'm not really a cop or some other real L.E. I'll just go back to hiding in my hole and waiting for someone to come by shining a light so I can make a really BIG case.

07-01-2009, 11:40 PM
Once again, I apologize for my previous statement. I had another one of those bipolar moments and I really respect all of fellow comrades. I don't know where these fits come from, but I tend to make strange accusations. Maybe it's all of the saltwater that gets in my system that makes me do these things. Sorry again and good luck out there in the sticks. ;)

07-01-2009, 11:44 PM
Who stole what from who?? This doesn't make any sense

07-01-2009, 11:47 PM
He stole my username! I'm so mad I could F*** a dolphin. LOL

07-07-2009, 01:20 AM
When speaking of officer's that work for the FWC. DON'T

08-10-2009, 03:18 PM
You will find game wardens in Las Vegas monitoring the slot machines :cop:

08-10-2009, 04:42 PM
You will find game wardens in Las Vegas monitoring the slot machines :cop:

Hey buddy, I'll have you know I resemble that thar remark. You should go catch an alligater and leave the slots to Vegas.

08-10-2009, 08:51 PM
All jokes aside, you all ARE game wardens. Just ask any member of the public any day at any time.

08-11-2009, 09:18 PM
All jokes aside, you all ARE game wardens. Just ask any member of the public any day at any time.

For 99.9% of our folks, only in name!

08-13-2009, 10:19 PM
Here's why I prefer Game Warden to Flordia Fish and Wildlife Conservation Law Enforcement Officer.

Reason #1: A hunter was crossing over into Florida from a duck hunting trip in Georgia. He had several ducks in the back of his pickup and was driving along a state highway and was pulled over by a Flordia Fish and Wildlife Conservation Law Enforcement Officer. The Flordia Fish and Wildlife Conservation Law Enforcement Officer noticed all the ducks in the back of the ol' boy's truck and said, "Wow, that's an awful lot of ducks! Where'd you get 'em all?" The hunter replied that he'd been over in Georgia. The Flordia Fish and Wildlife Conservation Law Enforcement Officer pulled out one of the ducks and stuck his finger up its hind end, pulled it out and sniffed his finger.

"That there's a Georgia duck. You got your Georgia hunting license?"

The hunter pulled out his wallet and showed the Flordia Fish and Wildlife Conservation Law Enforcement Officer his Georgia license.

The Flordia Fish and Wildlife Conservation Law Enforcement Officer pulled out another duck and repeated the procedure.

"Well, this is a Florida duck. Let's see that license."

A little annoyed, the hunter obliged and showed the Flordia Fish and Wildlife Conservation Law Enforcement Officer his Louisiana credentials.

The Flordia Fish and Wildlife Conservation Law Enforcement Officer was a little surprised and asked, "You got so many huntin' licenses, just where the heck are you from?"

The hunter turned around, pulled down his waders and said to the Flordia Fish and Wildlife Conservation Law Enforcement Officer, "Well, you're so goshdarn smart why don't you tell me?"

Reason #2: A couple goes on a fishing trip on Lake Weohyakapka. The husband likes to fish at the crack of dawn. The wife likes to read.

One morning the husband returns after several hours of fishing and decides to take a short nap. Although she isn't familiar with Lake Walk in the Water, the wife decides to take the boat.

She motors out a short distance, anchors, and continues to read her book. Along comes the Flordia Fish and Wildlife Conservation Law Enforcement Officer in his boat. He pulls up alongside her and says,"Good morning, Ma'am, what are you doing?"

"Reading my book," she replies, thinking isn't that obvious?

"You're in a restricted fishing area," the Flordia Fish and Wildlife Conservation Law Enforcement Officer informs her.

"But Flordia Fish and Wildlife Conservation Law Enforcement Officer, I'm not fishing. Can't you see that?"

The Flordia Fish and Wildlife Conservation Law Enforcement Officer says, "Yes, but you have all the equipment. I'll have to take you in and write you up."

"If you do that, I'll have to charge you with sexual assault," says the woman.

"But I haven't even touched you," says the Flordia Fish and Wildlife Conservation Law Enforcement Officer.

"That's true, but you do have all the equipment."

MORAL: Never argue with a woman who reads.

See, Game Warden would have made these terrible jokes a little shorter.

08-14-2009, 05:04 AM
women read?

08-15-2009, 01:48 AM
I guess it's maybe because I have had a few drinks, but I don't get the first joke. Is it the Florida / Louisianna license? If so it was not very funny. Don't quit your day job, you'll never make it as a comedian.

08-15-2009, 10:16 AM
I have to agree. don't quit your day job.

09-04-2009, 08:42 AM
I am a Security Officer and I know what you officers are talking about, when I'm refered to as a security gaurd I am quick to correct them as my job title clearly states Officer, and to officer that stated about Walmart being only a grocery store when I'm on duty at Walmart about 90% to 95% of the customers do buy grocery items.Hopefully People First will speed my application along where I hope to become like the rest of STATE LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICERS!!!!!

09-04-2009, 06:26 PM
I am a Security Officer and I know what you officers are talking about, when I'm refered to as a security gaurd I am quick to correct them as my job title clearly states Officer, and to officer that stated about Walmart being only a grocery store when I'm on duty at Walmart about 90% to 95% of the customers do buy grocery items.Hopefully People First will speed my application along where I hope to become like the rest of STATE LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICERS!!!!!

I have worked closely with a few Loss Prevention Officers at Targets and Wally Worlds. I have found them to be some of the most observant, professional, and experienced officers. They take great chances in apprehending criminals with nothing more than their wits and bravery.