PDA

View Full Version : New contract

12-22-2008, 11:02 PM
Okay,

so now that we have a new contract, what is the deal with getting the FOP to represent me? I am so tired of all the hoopla and negativity being thrown around. I want to part of something that really matters. How do we get rid of the PBA? Would it be better to go with IUPA or even the teamsters?

I only ask because I see what the PBA does for the DOC guys, and I have seen what the FOP can do. I know that some of the state guys had IUPA for awhile, but I don't think they were too happy with them. I know about FAST, but that is just for troopers. Where can we go?

I guess it really doesn't matter. ASO is being run by the same people now that were running it when Gainey was here. There is no honor, and no concept of taking care of your people. I can't think of a single supervisor who would step up and stick their neck out for anyone. Maybe we should just merge with the city, our morale is lower than theirs was.

Where are all you guys who were telling me how great the FOP is? Why didn't they stop this?

Hopeless in Hogtown

12-23-2008, 07:14 PM
I work for an agency about 30 miles south of you, and we have the FOP. In many ways I love it, but what you have to remember is that the union, any union, is only as strong as the members and the people in charge. We recently had our contract renewed and I wasn't totally impressed with it. Our pay sucks here and always has. Here we don't have the competition that Orlando has to get our pay competitive. From the legal stand point if you get into something and the FOP helps you it's totally worth every penny you pay in dues. Don't give up on them it is worth it.
It's nice to hear the Emery and Leon are both gone. Both lived in glass houses and threw rocks. @#$holes! Good luck with the FOP, they will make a difference, but remember who is doing your negotiating with the county, they may be as much to blame as anyone. Especially if it's an admin person. Remeber this if you don't have it you don't miss it, so be willing to hold out for what you want, these guys here have missed that calling.

RoonDawg
01-06-2009, 02:21 PM
Well, it's all relative. It has been amusing to see things happen. Suddenly people stopped shaving because relaxed grooming standards were promised. But, they have yet to materialize. Many things have yet to materialize.

Hmmmmmmmm

Roondawg

Silenced Deputy
03-29-2009, 05:23 AM
As a newbie, and a late responder, I personally know that Roon Dawg, Pinky and Van Wie worked very hard to get signature cards signed by both the supervisors and deputies in order to get FOP on a ballot if the contract didn't pass the 2nd time. Where were you at? Did you step up to push for a change? How many cards did you offer to get signed to get FOP on a ballot? FOP had all the numbers they needed to get the FOP on the ballot, but, the majority wanted a beard and the option to gain weight instead of running the O-course!!! So the 2nd contract passed.

These three men stuck their necks out, in public, for many, and I mean many of us, to push for change and a real union! Van Wie stuck is neck out, via the E-mail he sent out to vote against the 1st contract and he's paid for it too. 2-days off and 1 year disciplinary PROBATION!? Unreal folks. He get's that for an e-mail punishment and the forensics girl gets 1-day and sensitivity training for her racially overtone e-mail. Sounds fair huh?

I keep in touch with Sgt., and he, along with maybe a couple of others, are probably the most compassionate supervisors we have at the ACSO. They are silenced by punishment, and aren't a couple of bobble-heads! This is why they are targeted. Right now, Van Wie and Roon Dawg and his wife are working very hard for the Heroes Ball which benefits Peaceful Paths, the Special Olympics and the local Law Enforcement Memorial. And, no thanks to the Sheriff either. She’ll allow all kinds of solicitation for charities and fundraisers to go out agency wide, but will not allow the Heroes Ball to out agency wide! Why? She doesn’t want the FOP in the house and hates Officer Jeff McAdams. He was allowed to post a couple of flyers though. Wahoooooooooooooooooo……

Now, how many law suits have you seen the PBA get involved with? How many times has the PBA posted any meeting information for us? How many of you even hear that the PBA and Sheriff may have tangle over pay, pensions, etc? NONE; because they don’t. They’re getting your money and are in bed with the administration. Question, who’s the only non-sworn deputy on the Sheriff’s Anti-Annexation Committee with all the top brass? Answer: Brandon Kutner…. Hmmmmmmmmmm.

Now, guess where your dues money go...I'll tell ya, to the state PBA headquarters? Fops’ dues money stays here locally and is spent here. FOP's board/officers don't take a penny to pay themselves for all their dedicated work and time away from their families. Ask SGt. Rooney. The PBA gets a nice stipend. And your dues money gets spent all over the state where it is mainly used to back politicians that you many never even support. At least at the FOP, they take a democratic poll to see who the MEMBERS want to endorse. The PBA's response is, “…we know what’s best for the members…” (Thank you for holding our hands Jim Wiggins!)

Good luck with what the majority voted for, the PBA. Kind of reminds me of those in the country who voted Obama in…they’re not so happy now either!

Silenced Deputy

Silenced Deputy
03-29-2009, 05:30 AM
Get involved with the FOP... go to www.foplodge67.org (http://www.foplodge67.org). SIgn up and get moving in recruiting.

matt1141a
08-10-2009, 06:45 PM
Its interesting reading about unions. I work for a great Sheriff's Office in GA, we have no unions, not one single agency in GA operates under any sort of contract with its officers/deputies.
We have southern states PBA which provides legal protection and will go to bat for you, but they have little power outside the court room against a Sheriff.