PDA

View Full Version : IS THIS A CRIME?

12-19-2008, 02:26 PM
I am a divorce attorney and my client's wife broke into his briefcase and stole his laptop. She downloaded all the information off the computer.

I wanted to know if this was a crime since they were still husband and wife and resided together -- the briefcase was in the home when she broke in.

Thanks for anyone that can help!

12-19-2008, 03:15 PM
For one thing, if you were an attorney and not the husband in question you would know the ANSWER!

12-19-2008, 03:20 PM
I am the Husband's attorney. I do DIVORCE. I am NOT a criminal attorney. The work I do is civil in nature. So please explain how in the world I would no whether or not what the Wife did was a crime??????????? That's why I am asking a professional!

12-19-2008, 03:20 PM
I meant know not no

12-19-2008, 11:35 PM
I am NOT a criminal attorney. The work I do is civil in nature. So please explain how in the world I would no whether or not what the Wife did was a crime???????????

Law school, or did you sleep through criminal law.

12-19-2008, 11:48 PM
My law degree is from the Jacksonville School of Law and Sheet Metal Work. It is my opinion your client had no reasonable expectation of privacy in the home shared with his wife. The locked briefcase afforded no more privacy than a wrapped Christmas present. Your client is an idiot. get your money up front.

12-20-2008, 12:55 AM
Sounds like the wife found some good ammunition on her hubby! LOL Good for her!

12-20-2008, 04:07 AM
What's your's is her's and what's her's is her's!! :cop:

12-20-2008, 01:45 PM
:lol: (LOL)

12-23-2008, 10:16 PM
Wow. I am embarrassed by this question since a fellow lawyer asked this. I am further embarrassed that those in response to this question did not charge a billable hour for your answer. LOL.

12-24-2008, 03:29 AM
I am a divorce attorney and my client's wife broke into his briefcase and stole his laptop. She downloaded all the information off the computer.

I wanted to know if this was a crime since they were still husband and wife and resided together -- the briefcase was in the home when she broke in.

Thanks for anyone that can help!

You're kidding, right? The only crime is the husband is stupid enough to leave what is apparently valuable information on a laptop accessable to his soon to be ex-wife. Maybe pics of the girlfriend or information on a Swiss bank account.

12-24-2008, 05:25 AM
A REAL lawyer, with a REAL law degree, would have resources better than some anonymous cop board to ask questions related to criminal law. How about...hmmm...other fellow attorneys? Have you ever heard of a case called strickland v. washington? Or did you sleep through professional responsibility too?

12-24-2008, 09:12 PM
My vote it to not give this person anymore of our valuable time. Obviously he is not a lawyer or he would have the resources available to find the answer.... Probably ANOTHER inmate having a good time on the internet... why do they let them on computers anyway... :roll: