PDA

View Full Version : DUI

12-17-2008, 03:01 AM
Are the DUI check points producing any DUI's? Or just producing good stats for setting up DUI check points? Why not do what TPD and HCSO do, and designate a DUI speciality unit? It would probably produce more DUI's than the current system. A specialized unit that does nothing but DUI's. It would be a lot more productive.

12-17-2008, 04:26 AM
That does sound a lot more productive. A speciality TRT has been implemented. Why not implement a specialized DUI unit that would be in commission and used every night and probably produce more DUI arrest? It would even possibly make use of the new outfitted SUV we won, instead of it setting in the PD lot.

12-18-2008, 01:35 AM
There are not enough people here who can or like to do DUI's.

12-19-2008, 01:08 AM
I think that's probably why the original post was made. It's all about motivation. The average patrol officer may not be that interested in aggressive DUI enforcement, where as the officers that like to aggressively enforce DUI's are. In the City and County, they have designated DUI units. Those DUI officers find their own DUI's and handle most of the DUI's the average patrolman finds. I would say that the department's DUI stats would just about double if a DUI unit was formed.

12-19-2008, 03:21 AM
More special units, same low manpower.

12-19-2008, 05:25 AM
I think that's probably why the original post was made. It's all about motivation. The average patrol officer may not be that interested in aggressive DUI enforcement, where as the officers that like to aggressively enforce DUI's are. In the City and County, they have designated DUI units. Those DUI officers find their own DUI's and handle most of the DUI's the average patrolman finds. I would say that the department's DUI stats would just about double if a DUI unit was formed.
I agree, there may be officers here interested in working unlimited DUI's and .02 violation arrests, in addition to the 2-3 mandatory court appearances that follow each arrest. Maybe the answer would be some sort of a "north zone" type grant where officers could volunteer for this duty for overtime. I can tell you without hesitation that the answer is not dumping these cases on the unwilling. Our ranks are too thin and the misery factor is too high. Focus on the problem areas on campus. Right now the problem is theft and robbery.

12-19-2008, 10:04 AM
So... How many of these "DUI's" are you guys actually getting ON CAMPUS? I can understand your desire to be better at what you do but lets be real, if you want more maybe its time you come over to the county or city and start actually doing POLICE work. Otherwise maybe its time to focus on what you were hired for, enforcing and protecting the CAMPUS since you are USF Police. I see you guys more and more just floating around outside of your bubble instead of spending time doing what you should be. If we went out of our "ZONE" even though we can, our Sgt would have us written up in a flat minute. Some of you seem to be stretching your leash, certainly the night shift guys. Be safe, wake up and smell the overdue library books.

12-20-2008, 01:57 AM
At a smaller agency like Usf there usually isn't room for speciality squads, so every officer is expected to be a do it all officer. But, the fact is just like the larger agencies, you have people interested in certain aspects of the job and others that are not. It is a University Campus job setting. The activity level and pay is not going to be the same as a City officer or a County deputy's activity level or pay. There are those that want it to be, and try to enforce it on others. I have to wonder why they stay in a University Police setting and expect that? They should have been Highway Patrol or a City or County officer. If being a University officer is based on arrest stats or DUI's, then the UP is way behind on the pay for what you can get for doing that at the surrounding agencies.

12-20-2008, 02:32 AM
So... How many of these "DUI's" are you guys actually getting ON CAMPUS? I can understand your desire to be better at what you do but lets be real, if you want more maybe its time you come over to the county or city and start actually doing POLICE work. Otherwise maybe its time to focus on what you were hired for, enforcing and protecting the CAMPUS since you are USF Police. I see you guys more and more just floating around outside of your bubble instead of spending time doing what you should be. If we went out of our "ZONE" even though we can, our Sgt would have us written up in a flat minute. Some of you seem to be stretching your leash, certainly the night shift guys. Be safe, wake up and smell the overdue library books.

Wow, Still upset about your little angel getting 10-15'd huh????

12-20-2008, 03:50 AM
Did you get some extra satisfaction on the 10-15 of her. Made you feel good?

12-20-2008, 07:26 PM
:D The apple doesn't fall far from the tree. :D

12-22-2008, 02:08 AM
More special units, same low manpower.

I don't know about that other stuff posted, but back on the subject. It's not that officers can't do DUI's...I think every officer on this agency is capable of doing DUI's, but as stated, it's probably about motivation and individual interest. If you are not interested in something, you will not excell in it. A majority of the officers working here are not interested or focused in mainly working DUI's or DUI checkpoints. A special unit does not have to be started. Why not assign one person on a squad to nothing but DUI enforcement? With the rest of the officers getting their own DUI's when they run into them, and when they do, if the designated DUI officer on the squad isn't working one..., calling him/her out to the scene to work it if that officer doesn't feel comfortable or is not interested in working it?

Maybe more officers would be inclined to find more DUI's if they know that there is an officer that is willing to take over the DUI investigation..., it's not that hard. I have to agree the DUI stats would probably go up. You can't force things on people that are not interested..,you will not get the results you want. A person will only exceed/excell at his job if he is interested in what he is doing and enjoys it. That is basic job happiness/satisfaction 101.

12-22-2008, 07:18 PM
What a nice world we live in when you can not have to do something you are paid to do just because you may not like it. We are a small agency and as such must be well rounded. Should I call another officer to handle a domestic in my zone, or write a theft report....I hate working those as well. We are paid to do our job, all of it. Just because you do not like doing something does not mean you should have the ability to pass it on to someone else.

12-22-2008, 11:30 PM
Passing something off to another officer that they don't want is never good. But passing something off to another officer that is willing to take it, good at working it, enjoys working it, and perhaps is even better trained in working that type of crime, is a totally different matter in my opinion.

12-23-2008, 01:45 AM
What a nice world we live in when you can not have to do something you are paid to do just because you may not like it. We are a small agency and as such must be well rounded. Should I call another officer to handle a domestic in my zone, or write a theft report....I hate working those as well. We are paid to do our job, all of it. Just because you do not like doing something does not mean you should have the ability to pass it on to someone else.

"We are a small agency and as such must be well rounded."

Well rounded? And get paid a lot less then the other surrounding agencies where the average patrolman doesn't even have to work the DUI's and passes them off to a DUI unit?

12-23-2008, 07:14 AM
Then leave if you want !!!

12-23-2008, 12:16 PM
I wish it was that simple.