PDA

View Full Version : Hollywood, FL Police Officer Killed in Crash

MOD 1
11-24-2008, 04:22 AM
Hollywood Police Officer Alex Del Rio died in the line of duty Saturday night. Officer Del Rio was conducting traffic enforcement in the 7000 block of Sheridan Street when he became involved in a motor vehicle crash.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/media/photo/2008-11/43559000.jpg

HOLLYWOOD - A Hollywood police officer driving a patrol car was killed in a fiery wreck Saturday night, Police Chief Chadwick E. Wagner confirmed.

The officer's name was not released, pending notification of family.

The crash happened in the 7000 block of Sheridan Street just before 9 p.m. The patrol car was involved in some sort of crash, and then struck a tree, Wagner said. The car then erupted in flames, and despite the efforts of two officers, the patrolman, who was alone in the car, could not be freed before he died. There were no other injuries, police said.

Police blocked off much of the area and said they were interviewing one taxi driver who may have been involved in the collision as well as several other witnesses. Officials would not give further details of the crash, and would not say if they were considering charges.

Wagner said the officer was a nine-year veteran of the department who was "extremely liked. ... He was very energetic, always positive."

The officer on Saturday night was assigned to work traffic enforcement, focusing on red-light runners and speeders. His last communication with the city dispatch center was at 8:40 p.m. when he reported that he had just completed a traffic stop in the 7800 block of Sheridan Street. Two minutes later, police received several 911 calls reporting the crash.

Wagner said he did not know, off the top of his head, the make and model of the patrol car, but added it was "extremely damaged."

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sfl-1122police-crash,0,4227450.story

11-24-2008, 11:23 PM
my condolences to his family & fellow officers. :cry:

11-25-2008, 03:19 AM
May he rest in peace, and my heart goes to his family and friends.

I SEE YOU
11-25-2008, 06:21 PM
GOOD BLESS HIS FAMILY AND THE OFFICERS WHO HAVE TO DEAL WITH THIS TRAGEDY

11-26-2008, 12:12 AM
RIP brother. may god bless your family and comfort them.

11-27-2008, 06:31 AM
THANK YOU to every Police Agency who helped out today; either patroling our streets, blocking traffic and participating in the funeral services for our fallen brother. Your assistance was greatly appreciated and extremely moving and allowed many of us at HPD attend the services.

RIP Alex.

11-28-2008, 05:22 PM
RIP and best wishes to his co workers and family members in overcoming this loss.

11-30-2008, 05:26 AM
My heart goes out to not only his family but to the Communications Officers who ultimately are the first responders. Many people dont realize that or respect the fact that the Communications Staff handle the first calls for service and have to prioritize every situation and stay in the thick of things till the end. To those that knew from the first call that it was not going to be good, I pray that your able to come through this ordeal with God speed.

11-30-2008, 06:51 PM
And our girls did an excellent job, through the confusion and tears and all! You all rock!