PDA

View Full Version : Spec Comp Leave

11-23-2008, 10:07 PM
Can someone please explain why we have to use all of our special comp leave? If we accrued it by working holidays, why are we not allowed to bank it and use it when it benefits us? Thanks.

11-23-2008, 11:34 PM
Special comp is an unfunded liability, and the agency can require you to use it. They can cap it and before it's all over they will eliminate it all together. For years it has been looked at like a hidden savings account for those about to retire. I'm afraid those days are all but over.

11-26-2008, 01:58 AM
Check around, call your rep, other agencies have threatened to grieve a mandate to use it. It worked and they are not required to or maybe it's greener on the other side of the fence?

12-13-2008, 04:49 PM
About the special comp. , I work LEO for another state agency , about 2 yrs. ago a supervisor made certain officers under his command use all of their special comp. ( one of them being my wife ) by the end of the year , sort of a mandatory vacation. later it was grieved supposedly by officers in another part of the state and they won. I think they were told that you can bank up to 240 as that is what our agency and maybe other state agencies as well are budgeted for as far as special comp.. I do know that with our agency it is written , though it is crap & usually not enforced but only by certain bossess that you have to use special comp. leave before annual leave but it's all in how you code it on your timesheet. I this all came around because of folks from another large state agency retired with hundreds & hundreds of special comp. hours and the state had to pay ALL of it unlike sick leave hours. I think it sucks that we can't bank as much as we want.WE are the ones who work holidays , not for double time pay like most cities & counties but for stinking comp. LOL , I already accrue enough annual leave , I want the greenbacks.

12-29-2008, 12:43 PM
special comp, regular comp, peoples first, 160 cycle, ..... can it get more complictaed on such a simple job. The State needs to reexamine many things for better efficiency and cutting back on redundancy. This includes some State Agencies report writing system. Lets see, I make 4- 7 arrests, I have to do 4-7 PC reports , same amount of presentation reports, ... how about just one report with all the info and one narrative with all the facts... your analyst in HQ are giving you bad info if you think this is the only way to get stats.... obviously she never worked major crimes!