PDA

View Full Version : Layoff Update

11-15-2008, 01:28 AM
Can someone give me an update on the layoff situation. I am trying to plan my life

11-15-2008, 02:26 AM
You can go to floridafiscalportal.state.us and see the "10% budget exercise." Every agency is represented. The theory was for each agency to present a budget based on a 10% cut. If the exercise becomes a reality, the posted proposals are a fairly good glimpse of what to expect. While there is great debate about the need for a special session, one thing is clear. Revenue projections show a deficit of 700 million to 1.2 billion.

11-15-2008, 03:06 AM
website didn't work...

11-15-2008, 03:20 AM
10-04. try google - florida fiscal portal - it should be the first return.

11-15-2008, 03:42 AM
answer me this.....the 10% exercise doesn't include PAF and the budget request for next fiscal year includes funding for 79 PAF positions.....does this mean PAF is no longer the sacrificial lamb????? or does this mean PAF isn't included because they are already cut this year????? I'm sure they would like to know if they are really getting the boot or not..... anybody know?

11-15-2008, 03:52 AM
Your summation is logical but this is state government, so logic does not apply.

11-15-2008, 05:38 PM
If you are a new agent (last 4 classes) and have not began applying to other agencies you are making a big mistake. you will probably have about 2 months notice of whether you are going to get fired or not.

11-15-2008, 08:23 PM
If you are a new agent (last 4 classes) and have not began applying to other agencies you are making a big mistake. you will probably have about 2 months notice of whether you are going to get fired or not.

Some people are just trying to stir the pot and scare you, or perhaps scare you into leaving to save themselves. I suggest you get the facts before you go hunting for a new job. FDLE is doing everything they can to avoid any layoffs, now and in the future. As people retire or seperate, they are cutting their positions (unless they are mission critical), so by the time we are faced with having to cut budget, we will already be there hopefully. We need our agents and I find it highly unlikely that they will be cut. If you really want straight answers, why don't you call AC Zadra or AC Tucker, they are straight up and will tell you the truth with what is being considered and can guide you in the right direction. I am sure there will be plenty of posts coming after this that will tell you not to trust the AC's, but I have always known them to be honest and straight forward. Hope this helps.

11-15-2008, 08:51 PM
Well I don't know about trusting the AC's, but the Commish has told different stories to different people about PAF within a couple of days.....and I know for a FACT that AC Tucker does not like PAF. As far as mission critical goes, everything is mission critical except PAF. Look at all the vacancies that have been advertised within the last few weeks..... everything except PAF positions and some support staff. The Commish has even told one suspervisor that PAF is not mission critical. The administration will not give you a straight answer. We HAVE asked them........ Now what?

11-15-2008, 10:22 PM
Much of investigative work is instinctual. Trust your "gut." There are no "mission critical" positions in state law enforcement.

11-15-2008, 11:23 PM

Some people are just trying to stir the pot and scare you, or perhaps scare you into leaving to save themselves. I suggest you get the facts before you go hunting for a new job. FDLE is doing everything they can to avoid any layoffs, now and in the future. As people retire or seperate, they are cutting their positions (unless they are mission critical), so by the time we are faced with having to cut budget, we will already be there hopefully. We need our agents and I find it highly unlikely that they will be cut. If you really want straight answers, why don't you call AC Zadra or AC Tucker, they are straight up and will tell you the truth with what is being considered and can guide you in the right direction. I am sure there will be plenty of posts coming after this that will tell you not to trust the AC's, but I have always known them to be honest and straight forward. Hope this helps.

Yeah, Jump your chain of command and just call the assistant commissioners. that is a great idea. How about the assistant commissioners just communicate to the SACs who can in turn communicate with the ASACs and SASs. Then, the SASs can communicate what they hear in the meetings to the members of their respective squads. I know this sounds like a crazy idea and I am not sure if it has ever been done at FDLE but I think it is worth a try.

11-16-2008, 11:51 PM
TALLAHASSEE -- Fresh off elections, lawmakers report for an organizational session Tuesday with further bloodletting from an already anemic budget certainly on the way.

The session will officially combine only the perfunctory and the mundane —swearing in members, officially electing presiding officers, assigning seats and parking spots.

But it also represents a chance for lawmakers to lobby for their own and their constituencies’ interests and get a sense of the budget tussle to come.

In a week when Chief Financial Officer Alex Sink said a special budget session is needed sooner rather than later, leadership indicated a decision can be delayed at least until after the next round of tax-collection estimates due Nov. 21.

Panhandle lawmakers show up with a veteran delegation in positions of power, led by Speaker-designate Ray Sansom of Destin whose his district snakes into southern Santa Rosa County.

Term limits give lawmakers an eight-year shelf life in each chamber and the Escambia and Santa Rosa County delegations have Sansom, Reps. Dave Murzin from Pensacola and Greg Evers from Baker along with Crestview’s Sen. Durrell Peaden in the final two years of their tenure.

Technical freshman Rep. Clay Ford from Gulf Breeze and first-term Sen. Don Gaetz of Niceville fill out the far Northwest Florida group.

All are members of the Republican majority and await committee and leadership assignments from Sansom and incoming Senate President Jeff Atwater. Those should come in December, but members have been asked their preferences.

Budget concerns will dominate for the time being.

Gaetz said since 2006, when he joined the Senate, there have been cuts that, in combination with the outlook for next year, means a reduction of between $10 billion and $11 billion for next year’s budget compared to that spending plan three years ago.

“There has to be a major downsizing of government. Agencies have to go away,” Gaetz said. “We need to look at the elimination of agencies as opposed to telling people in nursing homes we’re going to thin their soup by another 4 percent.”

Murzin agreed with Gaetz about the opportunity budget cuts present to assess the structure of state government.
“The economy is bad, the economy is going to get worse before it gets better and it will consume the vast majority of our time,” Murzin said.

Murzin said he has requested assignments to the House utilities committee, health care and economic development.

Ford, who returns to the House after winning the District 3 seat in a special election two years ago, said among his committee-assignment requests were energy and health care.

Here is what we are up against. Good Luck.