PDA

View Full Version : Radios

11-07-2008, 02:44 AM
St Johns is still using 100mhz radios, They suck they don't have emergency buttons and all you hear is static. They suck they keep telling us we are going to get 800mhz but I've been hearing that for more that 5 years it always comes down to money issues. I can foresee this radio situation getting someone hurt, especially with no emergency button.

11-10-2008, 04:13 AM
My app is already in with JSO. More money and better equipment, why should I stay here.

11-13-2008, 06:36 PM
Yeah my wife will be rich when I get hurt with this stupid radio system that staff knows doesnt work have of the time and they do nothing but bandaid it . I mean come on 100mhz is way out the door we need to upgrade like complete overhaul but we always get the money issue.. well if this agency would quit throwing away money on nonsense we would have a good system.. For instance we should have got a good radio system before changing the computer system the radio will save our lifes the computer is a benefit no lifesaving there

11-13-2008, 06:57 PM
This place is starting to suck. What is going on the road, we are always short handed. Are we going to hire anyone.

11-13-2008, 09:24 PM
Just another case of the deputies needs being placed last!

11-17-2008, 07:30 AM
It does suck with the radio system. They can get a $750.000 mobile command center without money being an issue, but can't get their deputies better equipment

12-05-2008, 05:30 PM
Guys, I have to say that due to the Amendment issues, we are strapped for money. We arent the only agency in the state that is hurting for money. We got a raise this year. I dont know of ANY other agency that did. Yes our radios are terrible but it takes money to buy an 800 MHZ system. The sheriff is at least trying to make our lives better with what he has. Keep your heads up and things will get better. This agency is much better than most. Trust me, I have been elsewhere......Stay safe

Lapdog
12-14-2008, 03:47 PM
To reiterate what guest119 said. For those that have been with this agency for more than 4 years know that we have grown by leaps and bounds. We all have newer cars, better overhead lights, tasers, mini 14s, expandable batons and the pay is pretty darn good compared to the rest of the state of Florida. Yes our radios suck. Especially in the outlying areas such as Ponte Vedra, Hastings and Julington Creek. They are outdated but the new system IS coming! The problem is that all of the county will be switching over to the new system, Road and Bridge, Fire and rescue and the like, not just the SO. Hang in there, one thing at a time.

12-27-2008, 03:48 PM
JSO is Great as long as your in the right part of town, the pay is good, and the Police and Fire Pension is unbeatable. I guess all n all working here is not bad. Good raises, you can do basically whatever you want and if your board on the road, there is a lot of other patrols to take.

I guess its all about what you want.

06-15-2009, 03:00 PM
Has anyone heard about 800mhz radios. We keep hearing a rumor that we have to have them by sept 6, 2011 but thats still far out.... I mean as much money as this county has and we don't have decent radios still working off 100mhz radios. Come on guys are safety needs a decent radio system like yesterday. We got a loan for mobile command why not one for the radios? Secondly we can't talk to surrounding agencies there all on 800 and were on 100.. I wish somebody would help get the ball rolling, its going to get one of us killed. the radios completely suck.

06-15-2009, 10:12 PM
we should of got new radios before a million dollar computer system, computers cant save our lives like radios

06-26-2009, 07:15 PM
we should of got new radios before a million dollar computer system, computers cant save our lives like radios

You know what you need to worry about before radios??? A UNION. Voting against it is stupid. All the scare tactics in the world aren't enough to save your behind when it comes to layoffs. How about all the Internal Affairs investigations going on for stupid things like traffic complaints? You people have GOT to wake up. You need leadership from within the ranks. Your Sgt. and Lt DO NOT HAVE YOUR BEST INTEREST IN MIND. W E N E E D A U N I O N ! ! ! Unions are a lot more sophisticated than the old skool kneecap whackers from Jimmy Hoffa's day.. and speaking of, the Teamsters have represented 100s of agencies very successfully. If we can't strike, UPS, DHL, Budweiser etc. can strike on our behalf... want to slow down your counties economy when the S.O. won't give you a simple C.O.L.A. for the next three years in a row? Vote yes for Teamsters (you know what..vote yes for ANY Union just vote YES....even if you don't want to belong to it you will still get some of the benefits that those of us will willingly pay for. don't screw the rest of us because you are scared they're gonna take away your car cuz trust me they won't)
The next opportunity to vote is coming soon.. this time don't let your panties get in the way of your brain's ability to rationalize. If you think things are going south now, it'll be too late when your next Sheriff gets elected because you want to hazard a guess at which "good ol boy" it will be? Take a look at the local newspaper and see which face is smiling at you in all the PR articles.

06-28-2009, 05:48 PM
St Johns is still using 100mhz radios, They suck they don't have emergency buttons and all you hear is static. They suck they keep telling us we are going to get 800mhz but I've been hearing that for more that 5 years it always comes down to money issues. I can foresee this radio situation getting someone hurt, especially with no emergency button.

really the 100MHz radios work great, it's the transmitter which is to blame. Did you know the "backup" in PV is (was) run off a car battery?
The FCC would not agree to a power increase but I believe they did authorize a transmitter HAT increase (Height above Average Terrain) which improved signal range a bit more. Quit whining about 800MHz because it is NOT going to fix the problem. all a higher frequency does is reduce the effective range of your transmission although it will increase its penetration capability..which means you will now hear your radio inside the courthouse? (like you care because its normally off in there anyway)

07-01-2009, 04:38 AM
First of all excellant point on the union, you guys really need one "what" is right it will help you..

secondly 800 mhz are the way to go, believe me the radio system needs upgraded my roommate works for st. johns and his radio sucks. I have a emergency button on my radio if i hit it comm knows it was me and gives me an open mic. 800 radios are great, if you get the right software and besides the fcc is suspending all 100 mhz freq by sept 6, 2014 no matter what. If you go to the fcc's website you will see... get a union and be like mayor peyton get a 1 cent tax to pay for it.

10-28-2009, 06:34 PM
GUYS CHILL OUT IT'S NOT THE SHERIFF'S FAULT WITH THE RADIOS FIRE RESCUE WANTS THE BEST YOU CAN GET THE CADILAC EXPENSIVE.... BLAME THEM

10-11-2010, 07:30 AM
The agency that I'm with just changed from the 100mhz to the 800mhz system last in 2009 and it is NO better. as a matter of fact there are a lot of problems with it. If you have urgent traffic and someone is transmitting, at least with the 100mhz you can transmit over the person that is hogging the radio. while there is an emergency button on the 800 system, good luck remembering to use it if you ever have 10-33. On the 100mhz when it's staticy, the dispatcher can still hear you, just not that well. on the 800mhz, when your in that same area, the dispatcher hears NOTHING. the system doesn't even register that you tried to transmit. On 800mhz, car to car goes down all the time and when the "radios go down", they are DOWN. you can't just switch to a different frequency that is still up.

There are some benefits to the 800mhz system, like it shows who is transmitting and when the radios are good they are crystal clear, but the problems out weigh the benefits. specially if your agency doesn't have the extra money set aside to do the mandatory upgrades that it will need right after it's installed.