PDA

View Full Version : New Port Richey cop arrested for hit and run crash and DUI

10-28-2008, 10:45 PM
http://blogs.tampabay.com/breakingnews/ ... hit-a.html (http://blogs.tampabay.com/breakingnews/2008/10/driver-in-hit-a.html)

October 28, 2008
Police officer in hit-and-run arrested, suspected of DUI

NEW PORT RICHEY — Officer Christopher Sutherlin worked crowd control Monday night at a political rally for vice presidential nominee Joe Biden in Sims Park. He went off duty about 9 p.m.

Hours later, authorities say, the 30-year-old officer rear-ended a pickup on U.S. 19 and sped away. The pickup’s driver followed and caught up to him. And when the Florida Highway Patrol investigated, it determined the officer was driving drunk.

Sutherlin, who lives in Dade City, is charged with DUI, two counts of DUI with personal injury, DUI with property damage and leaving the scene of an accident involving injuries.

He has been placed on paid administrative leave while an internal investigation is conducted, Lt. Scott Baker said. Sutherlin has been with New Port Richey about 10 months and is under the department’s one-year probation.

The crash occurred north of Beau Lane just after 3 a.m. Tuesday, FHP said.

Sutherlin was driving a 2006 Nissan pickup when he struck a 2005 Ford pickup, according to the report. Sutherlin was speeding 20 miles over the posted limit.

He took off, the report said, and the driver of the second pickup, 26-year-old Joshua Vitori of New Port Richey, followed until Sutherlin was forced to pull over because of front-end damage to his pickup.

Baker said the troopers who arrived first knew Sutherlin from working in the same area. He said FHP sent a trooper from Hernando County who didn’t know the officer.

“We just felt it was better that there wasn’t any kind of friendship or relationship,” Baker said.

Sutherlin told the trooper he couldn’t perform field sobriety exercises because of a previous back injury. At the Hernando County jail he took a breathalyzer test, which registered .148 and .151 blood-alcohol levels, the report says. Florida law presumes a driver impaired at .08.

He was jailed in Land O’Lakes until Tuesday afternoon, when he posted $6,000 bail.

Vitori suffered minor injuries. Sutherlin had two passengers with him. One of them, 24-year-old Joseph Pascalli of New Port Richey, also was treated for minor injuries.

Pascalli is a traffic officer with New Port Richey. Baker said he will also be subject to an internal investigation.

“The fact that he’s a police officer, he should probably have known better than to get into a vehicle if he knew a person was intoxicated,” Baker said. “So that’s something we want to look into.”

Molly Moorhead, Times staff writer

Posted by tampabaycom at 12:13:00 PM on October 28, 2008
in Pasco | Permalink

10-29-2008, 01:24 AM
should have known better being a traffic cop.come on lt baker. note no one mentions the fact that the other passenger was only 19. they both should have known better than to take her into the bar right? it is a bad situation for everyone both should be punished not on admin leave with pay.

10-30-2008, 12:39 PM
Amazing how the actions of one person can destroy the morale of an entire department. Now is not the time to point fingers. Everyone makes mistakes, we are all brothers.

11-07-2008, 06:38 AM
should have known better being a traffic cop.come on lt baker. note no one mentions the fact that the other passenger was only 19. they both should have known better than to take her into the bar right? it is a bad situation for everyone both should be punished not on admin leave with pay.

Hey A-- bag do you work here? I did not think so, if you want to throw your two cents in that is fine. All you need to do is sign a waiver. I promise we will work out the problem, aside from that lay off the LT. Trust me enough if being said in house, we do not need outside comments. The problem has been dealt with. :evil:

11-15-2008, 06:56 AM
I still say you're a punk "SLAP HEAD!" :snicker:

11-21-2008, 03:29 AM
I say get rid of both of them.. its not the first time Pascalli has been in that situation. I've seen them both with underage drinkers before. Drop the hammer and rid the department of these punks.

12-14-2008, 06:47 AM
I cannot even comment on these remarks because people are referring to these cops as Punks. Okay there "Dirty Harry" nice follow up, ya J--- A--. Next time try using some cool phrases from this era.

12-20-2008, 09:04 PM
NewStyle I think I love you! Funny stuff! :lol: