PDA

View Full Version : WFTV9 Story: Volusia Sheriff Johnson Driving Drunk?

10-17-2008, 02:19 PM
This morning I saw a news story on WFTV9 about a FHP state trooper who said he tired of getting compaints and calls about Volusia County Sheriff Ben Johnson driving drunk. It appeared this was said in front of Volusia Co. Sheriff's Dept. Sgt. Joel Turney who then wrote a memo to Sheriff Johnson to taddle tale about the trooper's remarks.

The reporter asked Sheriff Johnson on camera about driving drunk and Johnson admitted there had been times he got behind the wheel after having more than he should have and said "It might have been touchy, that might have been a possibility."

Way to go Sgt. Turney! Now you have caused more problems for the Sheriff (when he's trying to get re-elected) then the trooper's remarks could have ever caused.

Still waiting for WFTV to put the written story on their website. See the video at http://www.wftv.com/video/17738593/index.html

10-19-2008, 02:53 PM
Talk about a soap opera. With the blogs in the News Journals exposing dirty little secrets (or innuendos) of just about everybody in the department (4th Floor, dispatchers, deputies) they could make this into quite the lifetime movie (or series). At least it was informative.

10-28-2008, 10:04 PM
Wonder how long a deputy would remain employed if they were to publicly say they drank more than they should have and then drove?

10-29-2008, 03:03 PM
I think it depends on if the deputy was connected. Probably would be gone though....different spanks for different ranks.

10-30-2008, 01:32 AM
I think it depends on if the deputy was connected. Probably would be gone though....different spanks for different ranks.

Meaning 'No spanks for the top rank' ?

11-04-2008, 10:14 AM
Volusia Sheriff's Sgt. Vickery Driving Drunk?

Investigation Underway After Drunk Deputy Allowed To Get Ride
http://www.wftv.com/news/17878203/detail.html
Monday, November 3, 2008

VOLUSIA COUNTY, Fla. -- When police pulled over an off-duty Volusia County deputy, he reeked of alcohol, had bottles in his truck and openly admitted he was drunk, but he didn't go to jail. Instead, he got to call for a ride.

An anonymous source told Eyewitness News about the double standard and there are now two investigations into the incident. It comes a day before Election Day for Sheriff Ben Johnson, who just weeks ago admitted he has occasionally had a couple drinks and climbed behind the wheel.

It started at an off-beach parking lot where a police officer saw a sheriff sergeant and his girlfriend sleeping under a blanket. He had to yell five times and shake him just to wake him up. A traffic ticket, for failing to maintain a lane, was a Volusia sheriff sergeant's only punishment after he was pulled over in his truck, smelled of alcohol and even failed a field sobriety test.

"The officer made a determination on his own to allow the subject to be driven home," said Det. Max Binz, Ponce Inlet Police Department.

From the first contact on the beach, Ponce Inlet Officer Chris Selander had with Sgt. Ken Vickery, the report said Vickery smelled like alcohol. He was reportedly arrogant and argumentative. Police left him on the beach, only to see him 45 minutes later driving on A-1-A, crossing the lines and swerving onto the shoulder.

"We take DUIs here very seriously. Our officers have discretion. I was not on the scene. I could not say for certain. At this time, we are conducting an Internal Affairs investigation," Binz said.

During the stop, right in front of Ponce Inlet Town Hall, another sheriff sergeant showed up, talked to Vickery and left. The police officer wrote in his report that Vickery was under the influence, but then let him call a friend for a ride and go home.

Sheriff Sergeant Ken Vickery was working Monday. He has not been disciplined before and was just promoted to sergeant this year.

Looks like there is a pattern with the Volusia County Sheriff's Office. The Sheriff and now a Sgt.?

11-14-2008, 12:16 AM
Very interesting... from http://forums.leoaffairs.com/viewtopic.php?f=296&t=80275

From the News Journal Blog

#602 EK2 - Deland, FL. - 11/7/2008 12:56:00 PM
Unfortunately Dergeant Vickery is a good cop, I worked with him for a long time. I had an 11 year history in law enforcement, both as city police officer, and a deputy sheriff in Volusia County. I was arrested for DUI, and ended up being terminated by Volusia County for violating department policy "misdemeanors, whether chargeable or not, which are injurious to the department." I lost my job because I wasn't in the good ole boy click, but I can name several deputies Sergeant S. Helmer, Deputy Eric Kemple, Deputy R. Henshaw, Deputy W. Burnsed, Sergeant B. Socha, and the Sheriff who could have been, or were charged with DUI, but kept their jobs. Sergeant Vickery is a FOB and will keep his job. I have personally witnessed the Sheriff driving under the influence three seperate times. A retirement party, and 2 county parties held at the fair grounds. As for people living in glass houses and throwing stones, the only deputies in Volusia County who don't drink and drive are the deputies in recovery. I rest my case.

#640 EK2 - Deland, FL. - 11/7/2008 2:14:00 PM
Reply to #630 moorfam: They can come after me, I have absolutely nothing to hide. I had wanted to be a cop from the time I can remember, I got to live that dream, and hopefully I will be able to once again. As for naming names anything I have written on here is actually public record, and available to anyone who desire to read the internal affairs investigation. The only one that wouldn't be public record would be the naming of Sheriff Johnson, but after what has recently been published in the news about his driving under the influence, and the fact that he frequents the blind pig pub, and the airport lounge, and that it really isn't a secret that he drinks and drives I don't believe Sheriff Johnson would like to come after me. Sheriff Johnson exclaimed to everyone in my FTEP class that so long as you tell the truth there will always be a position for you with the Sheriff's Office, I was very honest during my internal affairs investigation to the point that I told Lt. Goggin I had a drinking problem, 1 because of the stress of my cheating ex, and financial trouble, but the extreme stress of being an Investigator in the busiest district in the county with a very large case load, you see where that got me. Anyway I do have an attorney and am in the process of filing civil action against the county. Oh yeah Adultry and cohabition are still on the books as a misdemeanor according to Florida law, so all of the deputies are guilty of something, isn't that right Sergeant Pedri, and Deputy Crystal North. I won't hide behind a screen name I am James Mathis,was a very good cop, and please please corrupt officers and deputies of Volusia County come after me.