PDA

View Full Version : Why was the LEO Position Cancelled?

10-16-2008, 09:58 PM
There were 2 listing on FAU's HR website for LEO. I had applied to both in March, called twice during the following months for an update, but recently received an email stating that both positions had been cancelled. I am certified with 2 years experience on the road, radar, laser, advanced DUI FSE certifications, and I never heard a word. No interview, no "thanks, but no thanks", nothing, nadda, zilch. Was the position just cancelled and left unfilled, or was there a candidate chosen? I'm hoping it opens again soon, as I'd still like to work there. Thanks. You guys and girls be safe.

10-20-2008, 01:09 AM
Due to the SUPPLY and DEMAND of the position. Therefore, I believe your YEARS of EXPERIENCE were the reason that you were not considered at our univerysit. You may be best for other agencies. Sorry dude.

10-26-2008, 04:56 AM
I second the suggestion of the FAU officer to you, the guy with 2 yrs on the job.

I feel for you that you were not considered, but many more qualified cops have applied for the FAU spots.

But I offer you some free advice. It would seem you're young, I'll guess no older than 26. With 2 yrs on the job and all those schools, I sure hope you actually did some time on the road. As an old school guy, schools are great and certainly necessary. Maybe you attended all of them on your own time and if you did that's great. A well rounded officer in patrol with all that traffic school training is always a welcome addition. But knowing FAU as I do, all those schools really don't make you a super cop for the FAU position. I personally would rather see crime prevention, community policing, interview courses, and criminal investigation schools for a young cop. Don't get me wrong but with all your emphasis on traffic schools, maybe FHP is a better fit for you . Every department needs those who love traffic, but with 2 yrs on, attend more road and investigative experience schools.

If you attended most of those schools on duty, you may have torqued your co workers, some who probably feel they had to work a little more work or couldn't take the time off for a minimum work schedule because you're at school. Many depts I know like to limit those who want all those schools to one a year while working and don't care how many you take for salary incentive as long as it's on your time.

So keep looking, sooner or later you'll fit in somewhere and when that happens, hopefully it'll be a good fit. Good Luck.

MOD 554
10-26-2008, 06:54 AM
I disagree slightly with the post. FAU PD does not get tons of applications with guys busting down their doors. They take who ever passes the background investigators mood for the day. At least from what I have heard. I hear on the street they have a cop/kid in his early twenties working for them. Age is not the problem. You just did'nt get lucky brother. Keep trying with them if you want however, there are plenty of agencies in Palm Beach that are hiring with much better benefits than what FAU has to offer. FAU is more geared to the retired guys anyway. You sound like a young guy just getting into the business. Good luck!!

02-19-2009, 04:40 AM
University Police Departments are geared more towards retired persons because universities don't want policing on campus. They rather have you sitting in an empty parking lot all night and fight over the four calls for service. Perfect for the retired officer, some report writing, and then back to that nap. Send a 50 year old cop to try to deal with teenage issues.