PDA

View Full Version : Largo S.O.P.'s???

10-16-2008, 03:02 PM
Could somebody please remind me why our department has spent tireless hours creating a well defined set of operating procedures, which we are ordered to understand and follow to every detail...or else... ?

While you are at it, could you also point out the policy that deinfes when and who can bend (or completely break) one (or many) of these policies in order to satisfy their specific interests?

Because it has appears to me that recently our department heads have treated our operating procedures less like a standardized set of rules created to help govern this department in a fair, consistent, and just manner, and more like our grandmothers chocolate chip recipe thats been passed down over the years and modified to the extent that it is barely recognizable.

Could somebody explain why, after a respectable number of officers who have the skills and inner-department experience neccessary to create a more than exceptional list of canidates, come forward to take part in an assessment....after having not been able to in the past due to a lack of experience required PER OUR GOVERNING SET OF SOP's.....why after this point, any member of this department would have the desire, and worse the ability, to completely throw the rule book out the window and create his own set of guidelines in order to allow further officers (or officer) the chance to compete? Was it because there were not enough officers that had applied? No, i think there were plenty. Did these officers like the ability? I dont think so, I think there were some great well deserving officers that applied. Or was it because these heads wanted to promote who they wanted to promote regardless of fairness or loyalty? DING DING DING!!!!

I dont know, maybe i am just ignorant or I lost the page in my SOP that explains this, but could somebody tell me why it is that an assessment list (which is good for a period of 18 months) can be good up until the day that a position opens...and then, ironically, on that day the list magically expires! Thus, leaving the poor sole next on the list that had been patiently waiting having no other choice but to go through the entire proccess again (that is, unless he is not allowed per our SOP's due to prior discipline from breaking one of these SOP's....what did you think they were gonna bend the rules for him? hahah...how silly you are...)

It frustrates me how our department brass can ignore a rule when they want to alter an end result, but when an officer makes a breach (regardless of how silly it may be or what kind of positive end result it had) we are treated like we broke one of the ten commandments!

Yes, there is a such thing as discrection. Yes, there is always a gray area in law enforcement. But these are our Standard Operating Procedures! STANDARD! STANDARDIZED! Do we need an english lesson here too? We might as well rename them our Preferred Operating Procedures....or how about our WE-WILL-USE-THESE-RULES-MOST-OF-THE-TIME-EXCEPT-FOR-WHEN-WE-REALLY-JUST-DONT-WANT-TO-OPERATING-PROCEDURES.

I am just glad that our Constitution doesnt work this way...

10-16-2008, 03:16 PM
I second the above sentiment!

10-16-2008, 07:16 PM
Oh, your talking about POP.... At first I thought you meant the chick with the tattoo.

:evil:

10-17-2008, 05:31 PM
Could you be a little more specific in your question and how it relates and to whom it relates.

10-18-2008, 06:34 AM
To the original poster:

I don't much understand the reasons behind opening the isd process up when there were plenty of qualified individuals with the necessary time on. Having said that you need to read your SOP's a little closer and you will find that only the SOP that deals with the promotional process spells out how the process will take place and how long (18 months) the list is good for unless it drops below a certain number of applicants and then it's at the discression of the chief.

As far as opening for specialized positions such as ISD and POP nothing is spelled out in the SOP other than there will be a process and that the process will be at the discression of the administration. As far as not taking the last person on standing lists that has been generally applied to most vacancies and there is no specified time frame for a list to remain valid.

10-18-2008, 03:02 PM
The truth is that this Dept like every other department, is ran by people. People pick and choose based on not just who is qualified, experienced, and best for a position, but on who they LIKE. For whatever reason the management did not like the last guy on the list or they would have given him the position. Tell me that there is not a few "golden boys" that get away with more than others? [this section deleted due to totally calling someone out] There will be a new assessment so they can get a new group of applicants so they can pick the people that are hopefully experienced, qualified, but most importantly liked.

10-20-2008, 01:16 AM
If your reports are anywhere near as confusing as your post, you were probably passed over because you don't have the communication skills to survive in a specialty position like POP. The job requires significant expertise in written and oral communications. Being able to sniff out drugs and find bad guys is awesome... keep up the good work... but when you're operating near the edge of what the law allows, you better be very talented at explaining your actions. You're a talented patrol officer. Keep working hard and developing your skills. You will get the things you want if you keep at it. Not everyone is cut out for every specialty position. Good luck and keep smiling. :mrgreen: