PDA

View Full Version : Who is Sandy Steen trying to fool??

10-11-2008, 07:37 PM
Wilton Manors candidate laments missing campaign signs

> Posted by Anthony Man at 7:11 AM
It’s getting ugly out there -- not the weather, but campaigning in Wilton Manors.

Sandy Steen, a city mayoral candidate, says her opponents are tearing down her lawn signs.

“It’s very disheartening because in all my years of campaigning in Wilton Manors, it has never been like this,” said Steen, who ran for city council (now called the city commission) in 1976.

Steen said she bought 50 yard signs, and only about 20 are still standing. She said she got a call from a supporter telling her the sign had been stolen. The supporter, who doesn’t want to be named, came home at 2 a.m. last week to find the sign being plucked from their yard. The getaway car tore up the lawn as it drove away.

Her opponents, Scott Newton and Gary Resnick, say they face the same problem.

“I got a couple of them missing, too. But I don’t know if they were stolen, blown away or people just decided they don’t want them any more,” Newton said.

Resnick said he is also missing a few signs, and he and his supporters have nothing to do with Steen’s signs.

Newton says this has happened before, but he doesn’t let it get to him.

“Signs don’t win elections,” he said.

Steen certainly hopes so.

-- Staff Writer Christina Veiga

Sandy Steen? Gimme a break!! This lady spent the past several years telling everyone in the world that she's selling her Wilton Manors home and moving to a house she's building in New England and never coming back to this lousy county ...... and now she wants to be mayor??!! Let's give Sandy her wish and give her another reason to hate our community: VOTE AGAINST SANDY STEEN!

Posted by: timmy | October 10, 2008 10:30 AM

"Sandy Steen, a longtime aide to [the properrty appraiser] was recently forced to resign for racist comments"

- Sun Sentinel, 8/22/04

------------------

"It's a tragic end of a long career. Sandy Steen, the former Wilton Manors mayor who worked at the property appraiser's office for 34 years, resigned this week. She was told to quit or be fired for making anti-Hispanic remarks about the new appraiser, Rocky Rodriguez, according to her personnel file. A memo from Rodriguez's office in her file states that when confronted by supervisors [Steen] "defiantly stated that she had 'told the truth' in her Hispanic remarks deriding Mr. Rodriguez, adding 'I guess the truth hurts [Rocky]' and 'if Rocky doesn't like it, well that's too bad for him.'" Steen told the South Florida Sun-Sentinel last month that Rodriguez was unqualified and he was appointed only because he was Hispanic. She refused to stop making similar remarks to office employees and taxpayers visiting the office. She was warned three times about the remarks before she was told to resign or be fired last Monday. ... Steen had been counseled last year about making "improper racial slurs about African-Americans and was required then to apologize to a minority taxpayer who overheard her remarks," states her personnel file."

- Sun-Sentinel, 5/1/04

Posted by: Wm | October 10, 2008 10:40 AM

WOW! As a voter that 2004 Sun-Sentinel article really concerns me. What I find confusing is she serves as the head of the Log Cabin Republicans, a straight woman as the head of a GLBT political organization. What's her position on Hispanic people of African decent whether Democratic or Republican?

Seems very odd to me!

Posted by: Voter in WM | October 10, 2008 11:14 AM

speaks volumes about the log cabins, huh? they couldn't find a single gay Republican to head up the organization? apparently all 4 of them had already served as president.

Posted by: what a joke | October 10, 2008 12:56 PM

What a horrid woman, if these stories about her are true. I saw her at an event and she seemed so pleasant. It just goes to show the first impressions may be deceiving. I will certainly not be voting for this racist lady.

10-12-2008, 05:27 PM
ordered 50 signs..what a joke. :lol:

10-12-2008, 05:42 PM
Maybe the former chief can help her crack the case. :lol:

10-13-2008, 02:54 PM

or maybe Steve Kelly...he seems to think he knows it all....hehehe

10-13-2008, 04:28 PM
Hey Good idea!
Cuz the only thing the current chief can manage to crack open are his tacos on his two hour lunchs. :oops:

10-15-2008, 08:05 PM
Hey Good idea!
Cuz the only thing the current chief can manage to crack open are his tacos on his two hour lunchs. :oops:
I like tacos.....

10-15-2008, 10:34 PM
Hey Sandy, it's not stealing, it's called changing their minds. Oh, if you or Gary needs more signs, why not start by removing the illegal ones from city swails or yards that have 2 or 3 signs.

10-17-2008, 05:55 PM
At least her employer was smart enough to make her leave her job, unlike our city where you get to keep it. The city manager let our racist employee stay, he should be fired!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!