PDA

View Full Version : LE vs. Park Ranger

10-02-2008, 08:04 PM
Hey guys,
I was wondering if there were broken up divisions of DEP such as a LE side and a Park Ranger side. Can you be a DEP officer and not be sworn? If there is such thing as a "park ranger" what are their duties vs. LE? Any info would help. Thanks in advance.

10-03-2008, 02:56 AM
Officers with the Florida Park Police work under the Division of Law Enforcement. Park Rangers work under the Division of Recreation and Parks. Park Rangers are maintenance/janitorial. Depending on what park they work at they do things ranging from cleaning bathrooms, mowing, painting, and fixing things. Park Rangers are non-sworn and have no authority.

Hope that helps. You can come clean the bathroom at my park if you would like! :lol:

10-03-2008, 05:04 AM
Officers with the Florida Park Police work under the Division of Law Enforcement. Park Rangers work under the Division of Recreation and Parks. Park Rangers are maintenance/janitorial. Depending on what park they work at they do things ranging from cleaning bathrooms, mowing, painting, and fixing things. Park Rangers are non-sworn and have no authority.

Hope that helps. You can come clean the bathroom at my park if you would like! :lol:

Yea park police just drive a state veh. and have gun's, never in the parks when you need one. Us ranger's have to get down and dirty while they hide from doing police work. It's a joke, waste of money. They write no reports always call the sheriff's to handle the incidents and waste gas. There you have the difference!

10-03-2008, 02:27 PM
Got it, thanks guys.

10-03-2008, 04:27 PM
[quote="Hotdog Vendor":3esej9uz]Officers with the Florida Park Police work under the Division of Law Enforcement. Park Rangers work under the Division of Recreation and Parks. Park Rangers are maintenance/janitorial. Depending on what park they work at they do things ranging from cleaning bathrooms, mowing, painting, and fixing things. Park Rangers are non-sworn and have no authority.

Yea park police just drive a state veh. and have gun's, never in the parks when you need one. Us ranger's have to get down and dirty while they hide from doing police work. It's a joke, waste of money. They write no reports always call the sheriff's to handle the incidents and waste gas. There you have the difference![/quote:3esej9uz]

what the hell....
:? :?

10-03-2008, 08:07 PM
(This question is from another leo board but I think it would be good to hear some answers in here to this)

Given the seemingly endless discussion about park police vs. park ranger. I'm curious about why folks on this forum went into park work in the first place.

Why not become a state trooper, or a sheriff's deputy (if you want to work in a rural setting), or city police officer? If you want to work in natural resources, why not be a conservation officer or game warden? If you get a kick out of arresting people, why not become a Border Patrol agent or some other kind of federal agent?

Why work in a park, knowing that certain people are always going to look at you as having little or no authority? Knowing that parks do not have a law enforcement mission, but rather a resources and visitor protection mission (which is inherently secondary to their central mission of conservation and recreation)? No, park system invests its officers with LE authority because they want to be police agencies; they do so because they want to have a dedicated force for visitor and resources protection.

If you're one of those people who want to live, eat and breathe law enforcement (nothing wrong with that), why would you choose to work for an agency whose mission is something other than law enforcement?

(Not trying to provoke a fight here. I am genuinely interested in why people choose to work in parks LE as opposed to other types of law enforcement work.)

10-04-2008, 12:25 AM
You know, its a fair question. But let me shed some light on our agency, because park police is really a misnomer and underscores what we really do.

I have statewide authority, authority that my agency allows me to use. I have a 2007 Ford Expedition, with a cage, leds, night vision, front and rear radar. I have a Glock .45, a marine mag 870, and an AR-15. I have a boat. I have an ATV. I have some of the most beautiful places to patrol in the world. If there is a body of water, I can patrol it, park or not. If an ATV can get through it, I can patrol it. We even have dirt bikes, air boats and jet skis and some machine with 6 wheels, i dont even know what to call it. We are not confined to the parks, state lands, etc. We often patrol them and try to have a good presence there. I work properties in 5 counties, I write tickets anywhere, I can usually make my own schedule, I can put people in jail, I can work off duty/extra duty if I want. I work with little or no supervision. If I need some equipment, my LT will get it.

In reality, we are an agency with unparalleled freedom, authority and equipment. Work hard or not at all, it doesnt matter. Like to be 10-8? You can do it here. Like to chill, you can do it here. Like to be on the water, we do that. It is an awesome agency and as long as you are responsible enough to use your authority and freedom responsibly, you are left alone. We have over a thousand square miles of state parks, lands, preserves. If WE WERE confined to those properties, we would still have more than enough to do...but we are not. We go where want and do what we want and it keeps our officers happy and pro-active. We are a small agency of 89 sworn police officers and we have a very good niche, better than you realize.

FHP? Are you serious? Tickets and 10-65 sig 4. SO/PD? 10-65. I worked at a PD for a long time and it was awesome...but I dont miss being tied to the radio and I love the proactivity here. Our agency does not write park police on our cars, on our patches or on our boats/atvs/motorcycles/air boats/AR 15s or anything else. We are responsible for the parks, and if you want to identify us and PARK POLICE everytime you refer to, and look down on us, then do so. Meanwhile, I honestly can say we have one of the most varied and fufilling jobs in LE. Our agency is changing rapidly and for the better. Park Police is a vestige of an old agency I barely recognize, and thank goodness. Come ride with us, you wont believe it.

10-04-2008, 09:35 AM
(This question is from another leo board but I think it would be good to hear some answers in here to this)

Given the seemingly endless discussion about park police vs. park ranger. I'm curious about why folks on this forum went into park work in the first place.

Why not become a state trooper, or a sheriff's deputy (if you want to work in a rural setting), or city police officer? If you want to work in natural resources, why not be a conservation officer or game warden? If you get a kick out of arresting people, why not become a Border Patrol agent or some other kind of federal agent?

Why work in a park, knowing that certain people are always going to look at you as having little or no authority? Knowing that parks do not have a law enforcement mission, but rather a resources and visitor protection mission (which is inherently secondary to their central mission of conservation and recreation)? No, park system invests its officers with LE authority because they want to be police agencies; they do so because they want to have a dedicated force for visitor and resources protection.

If you're one of those people who want to live, eat and breathe law enforcement (nothing wrong with that), why would you choose to work for an agency whose mission is something other than law enforcement?

(Not trying to provoke a fight here. I am genuinely interested in why people choose to work in parks LE as opposed to other types of law enforcement work.)

Why? Cuase it's the only agency without poligraph and pycological test. Plus they hire rejects from other Department's who havn't been decertified, but been asked to resign from other department's. As you can reed most were ranger's in the past or auxilary or reserve officer's for other state law enforcement in florida and they were hooked up in the past. Small agency with large favors, basically come over here and hide from your past, it's like if you never existed.
And ther you have your answer!

10-04-2008, 11:47 AM
Can somebody say 'spell check'?

10-04-2008, 04:34 PM
Can somebody say 'spell check'?

http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp338/KenMays/fa8b240e.gif

10-04-2008, 05:03 PM
hahaha niceeee

10-06-2008, 12:17 AM
You know, its a fair question. But let me shed some light on our agency, because park police is really a misnomer and underscores what we really do.

I have statewide authority, authority that my agency allows me to use. I have a 2007 Ford Expedition, with a cage, leds, night vision, front and rear radar. I have a Glock .45, a marine mag 870, and an AR-15. I have a boat. I have an ATV. I have some of the most beautiful places to patrol in the world. If there is a body of water, I can patrol it, park or not. If an ATV can get through it, I can patrol it. We even have dirt bikes, air boats and jet skis and some machine with 6 wheels, i dont even know what to call it. We are not confined to the parks, state lands, etc. We often patrol them and try to have a good presence there. I work properties in 5 counties, I write tickets anywhere, I can usually make my own schedule, I can put people in jail, I can work off duty/extra duty if I want. I work with little or no supervision. If I need some equipment, my LT will get it.

In reality, we are an agency with unparalleled freedom, authority and equipment. Work hard or not at all, it doesnt matter. Like to be 10-8? You can do it here. Like to chill, you can do it here. Like to be on the water, we do that. It is an awesome agency and as long as you are responsible enough to use your authority and freedom responsibly, you are left alone. We have over a thousand square miles of state parks, lands, preserves. If WE WERE confined to those properties, we would still have more than enough to do...but we are not. We go where want and do what we want and it keeps our officers happy and pro-active. We are a small agency of 89 sworn police officers and we have a very good niche, better than you realize.

FHP? Are you serious? Tickets and 10-65 sig 4. SO/PD? 10-65. I worked at a PD for a long time and it was awesome...but I dont miss being tied to the radio and I love the proactivity here. Our agency does not write park police on our cars, on our patches or on our boats/atvs/motorcycles/air boats/AR 15s or anything else. We are responsible for the parks, and if you want to identify us and PARK POLICE everytime you refer to, and look down on us, then do so. Meanwhile, I honestly can say we have one of the most varied and fufilling jobs in LE. Our agency is changing rapidly and for the better. Park Police is a vestige of an old agency I barely recognize, and thank goodness. Come ride with us, you wont believe it.

I don't have any of that but I do work for the state, have an old rusty gun, worn out car, can arrest people while doing my job and high risk retirement. I make the same money you do. You'll grow out of it.

10-06-2008, 02:28 AM
and what agency do you work for, rusty gun.

10-06-2008, 12:51 PM

Thanks for the good response. I couldn't have said it better myself!!!!!

Stay Safe!!!

10-06-2008, 04:57 PM
and what agency do you work for, rusty gun.

You're missing the point.

All those things mentioned by the rookie are given to us to avoid doing the right thing. Raise our pay and do without the toys.

10-06-2008, 09:40 PM
It isnt our agency restricting our pay. It is the legislature. They authorize our pay and raises. Every state employee, not just DEP/DLE, is getting screwed. If youre going to continue to work for this state, DEP/DLE is a good place to do it, considering the what the above poster stated (the equipment, mission, etc).

To say that our agency gives us all this equipment so they dont have to give us a raise is ignorant. I am sure the administration would like to see its officer paid more equitably. But budget is mostly out of their hands. I swear, when I look around right now, I am happy to just have a job sometimes. Times are a lot tougher in a lot of places. I am not saying we dont deserve a raise, but to say our admin equips us well to not have to pay us well is dumb. Im not a company man, Im not a LT or CAPT, I am just calling it how I see it. We call get paid crap (in state LE). At least we can say we enjoy our job. At least I can.

10-11-2008, 02:42 PM

I agree with some of your post, but take a close look at all the I's. You sound like you have it pretty good. Not all the districts have it like that. I work in a great district, but I can say that one thing I don't have in your list of things is the freedom to work outside the park. I, along with the other officers in my district, are exprected to stay in the parks. It only makes sense, since we are the Park Police. I am a state officer, but I have to justify myself to my superiors if I do a traffic stop outside the park. If it is not criminal in nature or an immediate danger to life or health, I am expected to ignore it. You can argue that none of the districts are like that, but some still are. Right, wrong, or indifferent, it still happens.

I love my job and would put my activity up against anyones', but my activity all comes from within the park. Why? Because I work for the Bureau of the Florida Park Police. Why would you identify us as anything different?

P.S. Your six-wheeled doohickey is called an Argo :lol:

10-12-2008, 12:42 AM
Fair enough, but it has been my experience that if you work hard in the park, you can work hard outside the park. That, and there is usually plenty to do inside state lands. We have A LOT of land. Thousands of square miles (mostly unpopulated, I know), but there is still plenty to do. Also, many of our areas have huge throughways and state roads going through them, if your district does keep you inside the park. In either event, I think its a great agency, besides the pay, and I am happy to work here.

10-25-2008, 07:18 PM
I must admit I work for a Sheriff's Office and have had on a couple of occasional hazardous materal or wetlands issues. FDEP div of LE came right over and I turned it over too them and to their BEI agents from their.

To the park ranger NON COP. Obviously their is a reason they are not called Park cops maybe because they dont just work in Parks as I found out. I suggest if you want to trash talk any cop you go get your degree, LE certification and then some time in grade and your argument might be worth listening too. FDEPguy yall gotit good. Your pay does suck and but you have got awesome and job and enviroment to work in. Dont take it for granted. Your a unique entity in this field and that means a lot in and of itself.

10-26-2008, 01:44 AM
I want to tell anyone reading this post that Park Officers/State Officers are great!

I have nothing but Kuddos for you and the job you do.

I no longer work for the State, I miss it sometimes but, I don't miss the paycheck at all.

When I started at FMP, we did not have handheld radios, I had a beat-up FORD LTD patrol car, a 3inch "Sam Browne" belt and a Bubble Gum machine on the roof. I LOVED IT! I loved the comradere that I had with my LT and fellow officers, one of which is now your COLONEL. What I did not like from the State is how much we had to excuse ourselves for being cops (writing a ticket, arresting someone etc), something that City P.O.'s and Sheriffs do not have to do! I hated writing an Incident-Report for writing a ticket on my way to work. My LT was cool with it, but the secretary that transmitted the ticket would rat to the Major and then I'd get a phone call. :evil: I'd get *****ed out for being a COP! Even though I was pumping out 30 BSI's a week and 10-12 Criminal Resource Arrest Reports a week. So then I curtailed the whole ticket thing by transmitting my own tickets! Ha Ha Ha. Problem solved. It was like that for a while until the merger with FWC. I hated it, so I left. Now I make about double the $ that I was making before, high-risk retirement and don't have to write a report to write a ticket. No More BS, More $, man, what a deal.

Year to date on my pay stub (78,440.00) the year's not even over and now starts all the Holiday OT (Grinch buster details)!!!

Your Colonel is a great Guy! I'm sure that he'll do what he can for your guys.

I wish that there was something that I could at my level to help you guys with your pay, but it's all the legislature, not the Agency!

Take care and DEPLE will always be the shit! I miss you guys!

And for those of your that know what I mean, STAY GREY!

Happy Holidays!

10-26-2008, 08:22 PM
I must admit I work for a Sheriff's Office and have had on a couple of occasional hazardous materal or wetlands issues. FDEP div of LE came right over and I turned it over too them and to their BEI agents from their.

To the park ranger NON COP. Obviously their is a reason they are not called Park cops maybe because they dont just work in Parks as I found out. I suggest if you want to trash talk any cop you go get your degree, LE certification and then some time in grade and your argument might be worth listening too. FDEPguy yall gotit good. Your pay does suck and but you have got awesome and job and enviroment to work in. Dont take it for granted. Your a unique entity in this field and that means a lot in and of itself.

Thank you for this post. I hope we can work with you again in the future.

God speed and be safe!!

10-26-2008, 08:24 PM
I want to tell anyone reading this post that Park Officers/State Officers are great!

I have nothing but Kuddos for you and the job you do.

I no longer work for the State, I miss it sometimes but, I don't miss the paycheck at all.

When I started at FMP, we did not have handheld radios, I had a beat-up FORD LTD patrol car, a 3inch "Sam Browne" belt and a Bubble Gum machine on the roof. I LOVED IT! I loved the comradere that I had with my LT and fellow officers, one of which is now your COLONEL. What I did not like from the State is how much we had to excuse ourselves for being cops (writing a ticket, arresting someone etc), something that City P.O.'s and Sheriffs do not have to do! I hated writing an Incident-Report for writing a ticket on my way to work. My LT was cool with it, but the secretary that transmitted the ticket would rat to the Major and then I'd get a phone call. :evil: I'd get *****ed out for being a COP! Even though I was pumping out 30 BSI's a week and 10-12 Criminal Resource Arrest Reports a week. So then I curtailed the whole ticket thing by transmitting my own tickets! Ha Ha Ha. Problem solved. It was like that for a while until the merger with FWC. I hated it, so I left. Now I make about double the $ that I was making before, high-risk retirement and don't have to write a report to write a ticket. No More BS, More $, man, what a deal.

Year to date on my pay stub (78,440.00) the year's not even over and now starts all the Holiday OT (Grinch buster details)!!!

Your Colonel is a great Guy! I'm sure that he'll do what he can for your guys.

I wish that there was something that I could at my level to help you guys with your pay, but it's all the legislature, not the Agency!

Take care and DEPLE will always be the shizzat! I miss you guys!

And for those of your that know what I mean, STAY GREY!

Happy Holidays!

You are right, we do have it good and work with a great group of people. Sorry to hear you had to leave, but I definately understand. (nice salary by the way). One day the legislature will fix the problem, at least here is to hoping.

We will stay grey if we have any say in it!!!

Stay safe!!