PDA

View Full Version : 95% No Confidence Vote

10-02-2008, 06:47 PM
Union Police Vote No Confidence
LPD Chief Boatner linked to canceled salary increase.
By Jeremy Maready
THE LEDGER

Published: Wednesday, October 1, 2008 at 11:40 p.m.
Last Modified: Wednesday, October 1, 2008 at 11:40 p.m.
LAKELAND | Unionized police officers voted an overwhelming 95 percent for no confidence in Lakeland Police Chief Roger Boatner during two days of meetings that ended Wednesday.

Of the 212 members of the Police Benevolent Association, 151 voted during two one-hour meetings Tuesday and Wednesday. The final tally was 144 voting no confidence and seven voting in favor of Boatner, according to PBA officials.

The main contention of PBA members is that Boatner did not defend officers when City Manager Doug Thomas eliminated an additional 1.5 percent "me too" raise, which had been agreed to after 17 months of collective bargaining negotiations, said Jim Diamond, executive director of the Tampa-based West Central Florida Police Benevolent Association.

"Out of arrogance, the city manager did an end-around at the 11th-hour and decided to change that," he said. "This isn't about money. This is about faith, confidence and trust."

But what was worse was Boatner's silence in the matter, Diamond said. "He is the representative for the officers. Chief Boatner has never spoken on our behalf. That's what this vote is about."

Reached by phone Wednesday night, Boatner said the vote results didn't come as a surprise to him, citing recent comments made by union representatives to The Ledger.

During the city meeting two weeks ago when Thomas made his budgetary decision, Boatner said he didn't speak because he was trying to understand the changes being made.

"When it was unveiled at the commission meeting was when I saw it first," Boatner said. "The union representatives were given more of a heads-up. I was given none."

"It was a complex budget this year," he said. "And it had a lot of unusual circumstances. I think in today's financial environment, there is a lot of discussion yet to be had. Not speaking at the commission meeting is not a reflection of a lack of support."

Sounds like the Boat is already making excuses. buh buh buh I didn't know. Face it, even if you did it wouldn't have changed anything.
LPD Detective Nick Marolda, the department's union representative and a senior PBA vice president, has filed a grievance with the city on behalf of the members regarding the change Thomas made to the negotiated contract.

Marolda said this week's vote will not affect police officers' service to the community.

[ Jeremy Maready can be reached at jeremy.maready@theledger.com or 863-802-7592.

Lonewolf1
10-02-2008, 09:57 PM
Way to go everybody, you make an old retired malcontent very proud for standing together against the ivory tower :D

10-03-2008, 03:41 AM
Check the comments on the ledger page. The public thinks we are just money hungry... a typical prediction. They are a very interesting read though. But i do think i saw some of our members posting also. I hope we chose to keep it positive and factual on that site and not make it another leoaffairs gossip session.

10-03-2008, 05:47 AM
The public thinks we are money hungry because of the little preliminary article before the vote about Doug Thomas and his support for the Boat. They don't understand the concepts of good-faith, trust, and integrity. But then that Ledger site is pretty much run my cop haters and far out there liberals. I have to laugh when I read some of the comments on there. The cop haters are such because we have probably given them an LPD "hello" at some time. Then I always chuckle imagining the liberals fending for themselves without the police who solve all of their problems. Our officers have taken a stand and made their position quite clear. 95% is unbelieveable.........sad but true. Now that we have all agreed we must move forward together as a family and stay united in what lies ahead. Better days ARE ahead brothers and sisters.

Lonewolf1
10-03-2008, 11:48 AM
The City Commission gave the standard reply, but even they are not so dim as to not be wondering why the majority of the officers have lost confidence in the Chief. They are also in the position to know all the facts about the end run they sanctioned, so they are covering their butts with this "We support Boatner" facade. Some of these commissioners are going to be asking Dougie boy, what the heck is going on and what are you doing about it. We won't hear it, but it will be asked.

The stories in the Ledger were as expected, shallow and incomplete. You can't expect the Ledger to do any real digging, by pulling public records requests on all of the ivory tower emails or memos, or reach out and talk to officers and get their true feelings about the issues. The headlines they used sold papers for an continuing failing media. The truth behind why the Union is in Lakeland or the truth behind the No Confidence vote is irrelevent to them sensationalizing the tidbits they had.

It is interesting that there is a greater hue and cry from the city commission on their support of Boatner than the fact that two felons are still employed at LPD. The sense of priorities is dumbfounding.

The bottom line is for the officers to keep standing together and to let everyone know they can the real story of the 3rd floor. How badly it is mis-managed and how favoritism and the "families" have impacted the growth of LPD and the morale of its members.

10-03-2008, 05:24 PM
I am BPD. We went thru the exact same type things for 10 years. We had a city manager that hired a weak chief and stood behind him. Our city commissioners stood behind the city manager. From day one to the last day, they spoke about what a great job he was doing, how he had truly made a difference, etc. All the way up until he was let go because of the city wide survey. The city manager was run off shortly after the survey and then the chief was ran off.
The thing that killed me was during the last 10 years, officers had been telling anyone that would listen concerning the issues we were having. We talked to city commisioners, Ledger, Democrat, civilians, etc and etc. Basically, no one gave a crap.
Even when the above two were ran off, they gave them both a sweetheart deal to leave. Not once did the Ledger, the city commisioners, etc EVER speak the truth about either of these people and what they did to the COB or the PD.
I came to the conclusion that the city admin, police admin, civilians, Ledger, Democrat, etc etc do not care individualy about the police officers' welfare. Collectively, as long as they have a uniform show up, that's all they care about.
I also came to the conclusion that over all, all the BPD officers had were the other BPD officers.
I hope this works out well for LPD. It still hasn't for us.

10-05-2008, 07:34 PM
I dont work for LPD but I do work for the largest agency in the county. I truly admire the fact that the Men/Women of LPD had the courage to actually stand up and be heard. I assure you not even 9.5% of the employees here would have that kind of courage. 1) we would be fired or black balled instantly and 2) most of the little Yes people wouldnt risk their promotional chances to make better lives to everyone in our agency. At least you have a union that is " s'poss" to stand up for you. even mentioning the word UNION here is a death sentence. WHY YOU ASK?? because the boys upstairs aren't about to lose total power. I may be wrong but it appears to me your union seems to be representing the best interest of the chief and city leaders. Bartow pd had a similar vote a while back and was able to oust their trouble people, hopefully you will be able to do the same SOON.

10-07-2008, 02:24 PM
BPD did not have a vote of no confidence.

They had a city wide survey where ALL city employees expressed their opinion.

The survey administrator stated 3 police admin people needed to be removed or the police department would stay pretty much as it was.

The chief was removed against his will, one captain left of his own free will-or he would still be there, the other one is still there, clinging to his drop proceeds and posioning the well.

I too hope it works out for LPD.

Lonewolf1
10-10-2008, 12:47 AM
Get lost Criminal

JONES, LESLIE T 2004-019479 Inmate Name: JONES, LESLIE T Release Date: 09/28/2004 Booking Number: 2004-019479 Booking Date: 08/24/2004 Race: W sex: M DOB: 03/01/1963 Height: 511 Weight: 180 Location: TRANSFERRED TO BOOKING Arresting Agency: LAKELAND POLICE DEPT. Hold: N Hold for: Disposition of Hold: DNA: ? Registered Felon Date: 01/16/2007 AKA No known AKA Charge Number 1 Statute: 810.02(3D) BURGL-OF OCCUPIED CONVEYANCE AND UNARMED Charge on arrest docket: BURGLARY Bond Type: Bond Number: Purge Number: Purge/Bond Amount: 0.00 Surety: 0.00 Cash: 0.00 Bond Exp.: Disposition: PROBATION Upgrade/Reduction: Charge Number 2 Statute: 812.014(2C1) LARC-THEFT IS 300 OR MORE BUT LESS THAN 5000 DOLS Charge on arrest docket: GRAND THEFT Bond Type: Bond Number: Purge Number: Purge/Bond Amount: 0.00 Surety: 0.00 Cash: 0.00 Bond Exp.: Disposition: PROBATION Upgrade/Reduction: Charge Number 3 Statute: 810.02(4) BURGL-OF STRUCTURE CONVEYANCE UNARMED WO PERS INSIDE Charge on arrest docket: OFF BOND BURGLARY A/O 082704 Bond Type: Bond Number: Purge Number: Purge/Bond Amount: 0.00 Surety: 0.00 Cash: 0.00 Bond Exp.: Disposition: PROBATION Upgrade/Reduction: Charge Number 4 Statute: 812.014(2E) LARC-PETIT 1ST DEGREE PROPERTY 100 TO UND 300 DOLS Charge on arrest docket: OFF BOND PETIT THEFT A/O 082704 Bond Type: Bond Number: Purge Number: Purge/Bond Amount: 0.00 Surety: 0.00 Cash: 0.00 Bond Exp.: Disposition: TISR Upgrade/Reduction:

10-10-2008, 05:26 PM
Get lost Criminal

JONES, LESLIE T 2004-019479 Inmate Name: JONES, LESLIE T Release Date: 09/28/2004 Booking Number: 2004-019479 Booking Date: 08/24/2004 Race: W sex: M DOB: 03/01/1963 Height: 511 Weight: 180 Location: TRANSFERRED TO BOOKING Arresting Agency: LAKELAND POLICE DEPT. Hold: N Hold for: Disposition of Hold: DNA: ? Registered Felon Date: 01/16/2007 AKA No known AKA Charge Number 1 Statute: 810.02(3D) BURGL-OF OCCUPIED CONVEYANCE AND UNARMED Charge on arrest docket: BURGLARY Bond Type: Bond Number: Purge Number: Purge/Bond Amount: 0.00 Surety: 0.00 Cash: 0.00 Bond Exp.: Disposition: PROBATION Upgrade/Reduction: Charge Number 2 Statute: 812.014(2C1) LARC-THEFT IS 300 OR MORE BUT LESS THAN 5000 DOLS Charge on arrest docket: GRAND THEFT Bond Type: Bond Number: Purge Number: Purge/Bond Amount: 0.00 Surety: 0.00 Cash: 0.00 Bond Exp.: Disposition: PROBATION Upgrade/Reduction: Charge Number 3 Statute: 810.02(4) BURGL-OF STRUCTURE CONVEYANCE UNARMED WO PERS INSIDE Charge on arrest docket: OFF BOND BURGLARY A/O 082704 Bond Type: Bond Number: Purge Number: Purge/Bond Amount: 0.00 Surety: 0.00 Cash: 0.00 Bond Exp.: Disposition: PROBATION Upgrade/Reduction: Charge Number 4 Statute: 812.014(2E) LARC-PETIT 1ST DEGREE PROPERTY 100 TO UND 300 DOLS Charge on arrest docket: OFF BOND PETIT THEFT A/O 082704 Bond Type: Bond Number: Purge Number: Purge/Bond Amount: 0.00 Surety: 0.00 Cash: 0.00 Bond Exp.: Disposition: TISR Upgrade/Reduction: