PDA

View Full Version : shift losses

09-29-2008, 03:02 AM
Is anyone else out there getting sick to death of all of the "pulling" of officers to specialized positions and leaving the shifts holding the bag??? I am speaking for myself (as I have ssen what happens when someone speaks for all of us) when I say I am damn tired of x65ing calls on "minimum staffing" especially when the Corporals are counted as manpower, but don't copy a single frieking call! I know, I know, this is old news to some, but for crying out loud! nothing has been done about it. Hello? is anyone else sick of this crud? Come on Admin!!! do something to fix this! Either hire more officers or crap can the "corporal program" and make them copy calls as well as the rest of us mopes! Just a thought, felt I needed to "vent".

09-29-2008, 07:54 PM
This is not the response you were looking for but here goes. You have 10 hours of work. Whether you take 100 calls or 0 you have ten hours. If calls hold because you are at minimum and corporals are too busy, oh well they hold. Just come to work thankful in this economy that there is still work to be had. Yes things could be a hell of a lot better but you know what, in the past 10 or so years I have come to love my chosen field and couldn't be happier. Could be worse, could be working construction LOL. This board has never helped change and never will. Sorry. If you want change, do or say something. But I guarandamtee that this is not the way. I for one know that Captain MH is receptive to all ways to effect change for the better. TRY IT. The unfortunate part is if you don't we (me) will.

10-01-2008, 06:15 PM
Here we go again. The same "we work 10 hours" speech or the "if you don't like it just quit". Well let me tell you something. Trust yourself and try to do the right thing. Don't slip up. If you do slip up, clean up after yourself before someone finds out. Take care of each other on calls and smile when the white car pulls up. We all have our tricks to survive the "10 hour day". Go ahead, post em. I think its funny :)

10-01-2008, 09:13 PM
No, what is funny is the fact that this is even a topic for discussion. I come to work, understaffed and overworked, and I am happy as could be. I WORK 10 HOURS and go home. Sometimes I have court or an invest and then I go home. So what. Shape up when the white car comes? How about you do your job and not have to worry about it. We are police officers lets act like it.

10-01-2008, 10:42 PM
What about the BLUE car? :shock: :shock: :shock:

10-02-2008, 02:00 AM
No matter what we say, there will be a supervisor or corp, who will deflect any of the perceived negative comments we have. "You have 10 hrs", "Do your Job", Stop whining", "find another job", " be lucky you have a job", the usual responses which don't come from the patrol officer side. HCSO is hiring for a butt load more $$$ than we make and this is not a deal where we can't find something else. The people posting "I love my job, no problems" must be well covered we know.... Why are we posting for so much OT for shift coverage? Can't the Cpls or traffic cover the shortage? Nope, we don't take calls for service! I will give props to some of the traffic unit folks (379), they will step up and grab the S4s, but the guys who will are few and far between. We are getting rich off of shift coverage. Can the Cpls take calls? Nope, call a zone unit to handle that pesky S29, I don't have time to listen for this loud noise.

10-02-2008, 12:00 PM
No matter what we say, there will be a supervisor or corp, who will deflect any of the perceived negative comments we have. "You have 10 hrs", "Do your Job", Stop whining", "find another job", " be lucky you have a job", the usual responses which don't come from the patrol officer side. HCSO is hiring for a butt load more $$$ than we make and this is not a deal where we can't find something else. The people posting "I love my job, no problems" must be well covered we know.... Why are we posting for so much OT for shift coverage? Can't the Cpls or traffic cover the shortage? Nope, we don't take calls for service! I will give props to some of the traffic unit folks (379), they will step up and grab the S4s, but the guys who will are few and far between. We are getting rich off of shift coverage. Can the Cpls take calls? Nope, call a zone unit to handle that pesky S29, I don't have time to listen for this loud noise.

If you are that concerned with the shift coverage have the Union take it up with Admin. That's what we pay them for. Don't be afraid of A.G. he is not a supervisor, he will take your complaint upstairs and can't hold it against you. I doubt you will, instead you will just come on here and complain and be part of the problem, not the solution.

You might say, "Well, why don't you talk to the union." I don't feel over worked. Under paid, yes, however these are tough times we are living in, or haven't you noticed the conversations on TV lately. We did well for many years, now, raises are coming at a little slower pace. If this conversation maintains its normal course, someone will get on here and talk about the coming mass departure of troops for greener pastures. I am still waiting for that one, I could use some more seniority. Also, I haven't seen a big rush to the DR offices for ulcer treatments for our overworked people. I agree with one of the previous posters, do your ten hours and go home. Don't worry about the ot, I am signing up for, I can use the money to off set my wages. Hey, if you think you are overworked, go watch the guys build up US 19. I'll stay pushing a cruiser, thanks.

12-04-2008, 07:14 PM
I'd love to have your job so if it's really that bad please quit so I can have a spot. Thanks

12-08-2008, 02:35 AM
I'd love to have your job so if it's really that bad please quit so I can have a spot. Thanks
To "Outside Looking in" I have no desire to quit, only an expression of disappointment of terrible shortages on shift. As of late, the admin has made some adjustments that I believe will help some. My concern with you is....if you would wish a senior officer the ill will to quit in hopes to advance your own initiative, it says a lot about your character. You are not someone we want on our department, as we are family here and welcome others to join if they are family (team) oriented. Why don't you try a security firm, maybe your type of thinking will advance you there.

12-21-2008, 07:10 AM
LEO Affairs is full of folks whining and moaning about how bad they have it when in reality they should be thankful they even have a job. When agencies in this area are laying off and putting hiring freezes in place it might not be the right time to complain.
That's the point I was trying to make in as few words as possible.

BTW- it's good to hear that your agency views itself as a family. That's the way it should be so be thankful of that.