PDA

View Full Version : PERC cards

09-22-2008, 12:32 AM
If you currently are dissatisfied with either the current representation of the PBA or their activity in our local election process, this is for you.

This covers those that are covered by the current PBA contract. You do not have to be a member of the PBA or the FOP to sign a card. You only have to be sworn employee that the contract covers. PERC (Public Employees Relations Commission) cards will be at the local Fraternal Order of Police Lodge (FOP) for signing this coming Tuesday/Wednesday nights (23/24th) and also on Saturday the 27th from 1300-1800.

If you have any questions you can reach me by any means possible, e.g. phone, mail. email (flfoplodge99president@embarqmail.com) and I will assist you in what ever way I can.

This is about YOU and how YOU are represented.

09-23-2008, 12:03 AM
NO,This about you! This new stunt is about you and ONLY you. We are already represented and if you are "disgrunteled" move to Tallahassee and leave the FOP out of this before you distroy our Lodge with you games. The FOP can not do anything more than the PBA has done...whch is nothing by the way. I think that we have learned that we do NOT need a Labor Union. After three years the PBA accepted a contract that the Sheriff wrote, and it was most accodemedating. As for legal representation we can buy our own for about $200.00 a year and have a local attorney. Why pay high dues to anyone for no results. Thanks, but no thanks Tom, I mean JP.

09-23-2008, 01:08 AM
JP,

Can you offer an explanation as to why you are putting together this vote? Who or what are we voting for… I had heard that some people were working to get different groups (FOP, Teamsters and others) to come down and talk to the HCSO members about earning the chance to represent us. Why are you asking everybody to vote at this time without having those different groups come and tell everybody what the benefits each has to offer? Is it asking too much for groups like the PBA, FOP and others to work for the chance to get our dues?

Not long ago we finally got to vote in our contract…. Is it open already? Is this vote going to change who represents the members during any IA’s or other issues that come up?

You made a reference to the PBA getting involved in the local election…… Didn’t the FOP do the same?

Shouldn’t the focus of voting out or in a union to represent us be based on the performance of the union? The members who have used the PBA during shooting investigations and IA’s should be asked the question “What kind of job did the PBA do for you”.

Sorry JP but the whole thing looks like a political move on your part for the Sheriff.

Like I heard somebody say today….”Give me one reason why we should do this now”

09-23-2008, 01:22 AM
JP
Is this blue card thing even legitimate? When we looked at the PERC website we were under the impression that we had to wait until 120 days before the current contract was due to expire. When does the current contract expire? Why are we trying to vote on something this far in advance. This makes no sense to us. I have talked with some of those members who have used the PBA and they said that they were happy with the outcome. As far as the second posting, What attorney in Highlands County is going to offer legal aid for $200.00 per year we all need to know their names.

09-23-2008, 02:26 AM
The reason for the vote is because different members of the HCSO have expressed a desire to move beyond PBA, they have suggested this and I am assisting. I have never been one of their fans and am not a member. This is currently an opportunity for people to voice their concerns.

This vote is currently just a statement at this time. You are correct in the fact that no action can be taken against the PBA prior to 120 days before the expiration of their contract. You make up the voting majority, if this is something you want to happen fine. Rest assured I'm pretty sure I don't get a pay raise out of this, just time away from my family. As a matter of fact I don't have any plans on being the FOP rep if that is the union you choose, by FOP Labor guidelines the representative must be voted upon by those members covered (lets not beat this horse any longer).

I represent the FOP, there has been a meeting with the teamsters to see what they have to offer. You have been under PBA representation for some time, do you like it? Any member of the SO can bring in what ever group they like. Currently the FOP represents over 70 agencies in the state of Florida.

If you personally think this is a bad idea, don't show up and don't vote, keep what you have. In case you don't realize even if there is a vote for FOP Labor representation they become a second entity to the current lodge. They do their own labor business it has nothing to do with the fraternal side of the house.

If you can find any attorney here or any where else for $200.00 good luck with your case.

PS: Guest, I think you need meds!

09-24-2008, 01:43 AM
"VOTE"...JP, do you know what that word means or what the concept is? Did you take a "VOTE" from Lodge 99 to see if you could use the Lodge building for three days for your agenda? Did you take a "VOTE" to see if Lodge 99 wanted to be assioated with a lobor union? Did you take a "VOTE" from the Distric Lodge to see if they were in agreement? Lodge 99 has worked hard for 20 years to keep the lodge like it is. Avon Park PD tried this at the begining of the lodge and they were told to go elsewere with their labor union. JP, get real and get lost! No one has appointed you our "go-to-guy"! You are selfappointed with your own agenda. We don't want to go down, with you or because of you. Why don't you just do your job (whatever that may be) and then go home to your wife, she needs you!

09-24-2008, 08:38 PM
Dude, have you thought of counseling or medications? Once again you must not have attended any lodge meetings lately. Have you attended any District meetings? You would be surprised at the amount of people involved and how long this discussion has gone on. I say you would be surprised because you obviously weren’t there, were there but didn’t pay attention or once again were suffering from cranial rectal inversion. Also you don’t seem to handle when you are presented facts so lets just skip that point this time as it would be pointless.

Here is some advice; the lodge will be holding their own elections soon. Why don’t you show up run for office and take over. You obviously feel you are more qualified, would be better at it and would do a better job. Hell, I’ll vote for ya, oh, but then I would just get my way again and it would be all about me only through you.

You see I don’t really see you doing it. You would actually have to show up and VOTE without a curtain. Anyway get some incense sit back and chill for awhile you could really use it.

PS: Thanks for thinking of my wife but I got it handled.

09-25-2008, 08:41 PM
I am an officer w/almost 20 years experience at the same agency. We contracted with Teamsters for over 20 years. The last 5-7 years they screwed us royally. Our city took close to 250k from our pension on a trumped up reason (I won't go into the long story), we pleaded over and over for the Teamsters to get us either a labor attorney or a pension type attorney (we even went to the Tampa office) and we were told no.

Not once did the T's ever get us an attorney for one of our guys when s/he was under IA.

PBA is jerking us around now, I think because we are a smaller agency of only 50 officers. They have gotten our guys an attorney when needed tho.

I don't know what your answer is, but believe me brothers, IT IS NOT THE TEAMSTERS.