PDA

View Full Version : What Comes Around Goes Around

09-16-2008, 04:58 PM
Know we know why the chief has not been held accountable for anything by the city manager. Kind of hard to hold the chief to a standard when you conduct yourself in a deceptive and unethical manner. Thank you to Commissioners Wiggs and Troller for having the honesty and morale courage to stand up for intent and spirit of the contract we negotiated in good faith.

CITY OF LAKELAND
Lower Pay Raise Angers Police
Last-minute change in passed budget cuts part of raises for stunned, unionized police, who thought they had a deal.
By Rick Rousos
THE LEDGER

Published: Monday, September 15, 2008 at 12:01 a.m.
Last Modified: Tuesday, September 16, 2008 at 12:10 a.m.
LAKELAND | As Lakeland commissioners passed their new budget Monday night, angry police accused the city of pulling a last-minute fast one by eliminating a 1.5 percent pay adjustment.

City Manager Doug Thomas had earlier proposed that non-union city employees would get a 1.5 percent annual pay adjustment and most would be eligible for merit raises of up to 2.5 percent - a total of 4 percent.

But Thomas on Monday changed the formula.

He announced a plan to eliminate the adjustment and give non-union city employees a merit raise of about 4 percent.

That meant that police, who have already negotiated merit raises of up to 5 percent in their union contract, lost what officials call the "me too'' raise.

The ''me too'' raise is part of the union contract and calls for police to get whatever annual adjustment is given to the city's non-union workers.

But by eliminating the 1.5 percent adjustment for other employees and replacing it with a merit raise, police won't get the 1.5 percent adjustment.

The pay plan change means the city will save $375,000 it would have spent on raises for police.

The revised pay plan that Thomas unveiled Monday night will also bolster city employee retirement and health insurance plans.

LPD Detective Nick Marolda, who represents unionized Lakeland police for the Police Benevolent Association, said it took 17 months to negotiate a contract with the city and officers agreed not to be paid retroactively. Several of those officers sat in the crowd, some expressing disbelief at the city's action.

"These are the Lakeland police officers you rave about," Marolda told commissioners.

He said those officers risk their lives to do their jobs and aren't like other city employees.

Mirolda said the presentation from Thomas was "shameful" and amounted to "slides, shell games and shenanigans." If the city goes back on a deal, Marolda said, "you're going to have problems."

Commissioners disagreed, and passed the new $603.7 million budget in a 5-2 vote. Howard Wiggs and Justin Troller voted "no."

Wiggs said public safety "is one of the most crucial if not the most crucial thing we do." He said the city needed to find the money somewhere to keep its "covenant" with the police.

Commissioner Edie Yates said everyone needs to pitch in and help balance the budget. She said money is scarce, "it just isn't there."

Firefighters will also get 5 percent merit raises through collective bargaining, but they are due a 2 percent annual adjustment as part of their union contract rather than a "me too" raise. Thomas said he is attempting to renegotiate with firefighters.

Commissioners, in a 7-0 vote, also approved a property tax rate of $3.4031 per $1,000 of taxable valuation. That rate required a "super majority" - support from at least five of the seven commissioners. To meet state law the city needed the super majority pass a tax rate of more than $3.02.

Commissioners voted unanimously earlier Monday to raise rates for water, wastewater and storm water runoff.

Monthly water charges for residents and small businesses will go from $6.04 to $6.49 for customers inside the city and from $8.15 to $8.76 for customers outside the city.

The price of water is also going. Each 1,000 gallons, up to 7,000 gallons, will go from $1.49 to $1.59 for people in the city and $2.02 to $2.15 for those outside the city.

Wastewater charges on customers' bills are tied directly to water usage and are being increased to mirror water increases.

The storm water fees are collected by the city in order to manage and control the drainage from storm water runoff.

Residents and businesses with 5,000 square feet of space or less now pay a flat fee of $4.50 per month, which will go to $6.

Businesses or residents with homes larger than 5,000 square feet will pay an additional $6 for square footage over 5,000, an additional $12 for square footage over 10,000, and so on.

09-16-2008, 08:50 PM
Boo hoo!

09-16-2008, 11:12 PM
This is my first time posting anything on this site, but it is time. We need to stand as ONE and let the city know that we will not stand by and take this without fight. They opened the door and we will shut it. This is not the time to "stand by" and see what happens. Please make every effort to attend any future meetings that we may have on this matter. If you don't then you are part of the problem.

09-18-2008, 05:01 PM
there is nothing you can do unless a mass group resigns. Can't strike. Do you really think they will listen to what they consider "whining"?

09-18-2008, 07:00 PM
What they percieve as "whining" would require us to engage them in further dialogue. I believe the time for talk and good faith negotiations with this City are OVER. We tried that and they just took us for fools. THEY suggested the "Me Too Clause." That was not our baby. Now THEY screw us out of a benefit we agreed to which THEY offered by rearranging numbers and calling their COLA by another name. This is a perfect example of shady back room dealings among crooked politicians. Nick was right. It's SHAMEFUL. The time for talk and standing strong on the sidewalk and watching these "Shenanigans" is OVER. Time to step into the street and start directing traffic (or not). When is the COL Christmas Parade again? (cough, cough) This whole thing has me feeling pretty blue. They play their games, well I hear that it's now against HIPPA laws for anyone to ask you what ails you if you call in sick. I'm rambling on about all kinds of things now, maybe some of you might be able to figure out what I'm trying to say because I'm just not sure.

09-18-2008, 07:05 PM
Shenanigans (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Vpe98B-IAM/url)

09-18-2008, 07:07 PM
Shenanigans link that works:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Vpe98B-IAM

09-19-2008, 12:42 AM
I'm feeling rather "Blue" also. Time for talk is way past.

09-19-2008, 09:49 PM
busting the union, what their doing now startred long ago. they have done what they have wanted to us for so long and got away with it, why stop. the low point is when we watched brother and sister officer's loose their jobs while the paper server was/is worse off then any of them. he is still here every day collecting a large salary and soon to be pension while others are fighting for their existance. we should have made a stand long, long ago. but we did not so they changed job descriptions moved folks around while other brothers sat in the fishbowl in the lobby waiting for the axe to fall. and it did call them ask them how their doing. i'm sure we all keep in touch with our friends. they broke all sorts of laws and still do while we stand by. now we will see how the teflon third floorers skate through this. and they will just watch.