PDA

View Full Version : Fix it or shut up.

09-16-2008, 04:30 PM
From working for the MCSO, and reading some topics here I thought I would start a new one, Something positive...maybe a little proactive. Lets try to keep the cheap shots out of this as it will do nothing for us but ensure that we will never get anything done.

Lets start off with an issue, a very common problem. Figure exactly whats causing it and attempt to fix it. Our unions are working on the big issues at hand, what are some of the things we can recognize and do as Deputies/Dispatches/As an agency from the ground up?

Ill state one of my gripes....
Moral...County wide. Why the hell are we beating ourselfs up? We can make it better for ourselfs if we start working as an AGENCY. Lets hear some ideas please?
-KWR

09-16-2008, 07:54 PM
Ok - here is one, fire the unions.... period just fire their butts, cause I can tell you it was better, WAY BETTER, before they came along to rep us at the MCSO.

You can think what you want to, but they need to go. We were better off before they came, we supported the Sheriff and went to him when we had a problem that Bill could not fix and you know what, he did EVERY thing he could to help us and get us what we needed. Now just try and go see him or Rick with a problem, well guess what you will need your Union Rep with you and even then it might involve contract issues or some such crap, I am telling you they need to be thrown off the hump of the seven mile like right now.

I remember the good ole days of working the Swan up on big time with my pardners Larry and Joe, we had good times and fun on the job and got taken care of,,,,

09-16-2008, 09:43 PM
Ok - here is one, fire the unions.... period just fire their butts, cause I can tell you it was better, WAY BETTER, before they came along to rep us at the MCSO.

You can think what you want to, but they need to go. We were better off before they came, we supported the Sheriff and went to him when we had a problem that Bill could not fix and you know what, he did EVERY thing he could to help us and get us what we needed. Now just try and go see him or Rick with a problem, well guess what you will need your Union Rep with you and even then it might involve contract issues or some such crap, I am telling you they need to be thrown off the hump of the seven mile like right now.

I remember the good ole days of working the Swan up on big time with my pardners Larry and Joe, we had good times and fun on the job and got taken care of,,,,

Stang, I'm a pro union person. I have only been with the agency a short time and been involved with unions even less. I can tell you that when we were with the FOP I didn't see much action.

Since the Teamsters have come in to represent Corrections thats all I have seen, I keep seeing stalls on the other end (which alot of them have been valid and unfortunate reasons) but still I like the unions because I feel that I have some sort of protection and someone that will fight for me without me commiting career suicide.

What you write of, thats how it SHOULD be. There should be no secrets, there should be no fights, it should be an open door policy and fix the problems amoungst ourselves. I learned very quickly here that its no longer the case. I wish I could see that happen, at this stage..I doubt Ill ever witness that.
-KWR

09-25-2008, 10:49 PM
Yeah, I hear ya dude. Things down on Stock Island are F'ed up, when I started we were in the old building way downtown next door to the courthouse and ole Rick was a newly promoted Sgt working the road up in Marathon, hell Peryam was a traffic Sgt back in the day and his wife was a bike cop and I don't mean motorcycles either.......go figure.

Anyhow now things have gone to hell in a handbag as the Sheriff has gotten older and let other people take care of the place, it started the downhill slide when Bill McDee became the Col and has not stopped sliding ever since.

It will never be the same , and if you think it will change after the election you are on crack, I am glad I only have a few months to go then it's bye bye MC as I drive North out of here forever.

Honesty
09-29-2008, 02:56 PM
KWR and GreenStang,

You both have valid points about the good old days and how unions can be helpful. The first time I met Roth, he was a Detective Sergeant at the Truman Offices - long before they moved downtown to Whitehead St. And, long before there were any unions. Whether before or during union-participation, there has always been favoritism, nepotism, and "special" employees. I personally know a Records clerk who baked the then-current Sheriff cookies, visited with him for about half an hour, and was "promoted" to deputy status. She was then sponsored in the academy, got a big raise (from clerk), and became an upper Keys deputy after FTO. And, I know of several females who will always have a job in this department.

All of the deputies and jailers complain about the morale and money. Don't forget that dispatchers start less than deputies (some dispatcher do make more since they've been around a few years and have earned it). And, the clerks that issue the paychecks make much less than deputies, jailers, and dispatchers. The dispatchers and clerks are civilian employees and don't get any protection by any union, whether FOP, PBA, or teamsters. Sheriff Roth may say that whatever he gives to the deputies and jailers, he'll give to the civilian employees, because he treats everyone equally. But, the new Sheriff may not be so giving.

Back in the old days, a plate of cookies could help the cause. I wonder what they'd do now...

09-30-2008, 06:48 PM
KWR and GreenStang,

You both have valid points about the good old days and how unions can be helpful. The first time I met Roth, he was a Detective Sergeant at the Truman Offices - long before they moved downtown to Whitehead St. And, long before there were any unions. Whether before or during union-participation, there has always been favoritism, nepotism, and "special" employees. I personally know a Records clerk who baked the then-current Sheriff cookies, visited with him for about half an hour, and was "promoted" to deputy status. She was then sponsored in the academy, got a big raise (from clerk), and became an upper Keys deputy after FTO. And, I know of several females who will always have a job in this department.

All of the deputies and jailers complain about the morale and money. Don't forget that dispatchers start less than deputies (some dispatcher do make more since they've been around a few years and have earned it). And, the clerks that issue the paychecks make much less than deputies, jailers, and dispatchers. The dispatchers and clerks are civilian employees and don't get any protection by any union, whether FOP, PBA, or teamsters. Sheriff Roth may say that whatever he gives to the deputies and jailers, he'll give to the civilian employees, because he treats everyone equally. But, the new Sheriff may not be so giving.

Back in the old days, a plate of cookies could help the cause. I wonder what they'd do now...

but thats just it......not everyone should be treated fairly when it comes to raises. why should a records clerk that sits behind a desk and a jailer that is inside the jail, get paid the same as a road officer that risks getting into a car crash, getting wet when it rains, getting shot at, sweating that butt off in the summer. Simply put, road officers should be making more than any other division (unless its special ops) in the dept. I have been a jailer before and I even felt the same way then as I do now.

09-30-2008, 06:49 PM
KWR and GreenStang,

but thats just it......not everyone should be treated fairly when it comes to raises. why should a records clerk that sits behind a desk and a jailer that is inside the jail, get paid the same as a road officer that risks getting into a car crash, getting wet when it rains, getting shot at, sweating that butt off in the summer. Simply put, road officers should be making more than any other division (unless its special ops) in the dept. I have been a jailer before and I even felt the same way then as I do now.

09-30-2008, 06:50 PM
KWR and GreenStang,

when i said "getting paid the same as..." i was refering to raises.

10-01-2008, 04:57 AM
Why is there Captains who have been here the same amount of time, and one of them is making 10k more a year?

10-02-2008, 12:25 PM
Why is there Captains who have been here the same amount of time, and one of them is making 10k more a year?

Your question is a good one. We should look in the past to find the answer...
Maybe that Captain was a Major at one point in his career a long long time ago and when the title of "Major" was abolished, he was re-assigned as a captain. He wasn't being demoted or disciplined. So, he didn't lose any money. And, consequently, his future raises were based on that salary.

10-05-2008, 12:10 AM

Your question is a good one. We should look in the past to find the answer...
Maybe that Captain was a Major at one point in his career a long long time ago and when the title of "Major" was abolished, he was re-assigned as a captain. He wasn't being demoted or disciplined. So, he didn't lose any money. And, consequently, his future raises were based on that salary.

Well that makes perfectly good sense. Thanks to you sir. It's nice to have someone answer without starting a beef or getting upset. THis is a nice change, sir.