PDA

View Full Version : No Right on Red enforcement

09-11-2008, 01:46 PM
I was curious, is it common practice for FMPD to not enforce the no right on red laws and disobey them as well? I was recently on Forum BLVD and noticed a FMPD vehicle in the right hand turn lane behind another vehicle. The lead vehicle had pulled out of the Home Depot/Starbucks parking area and the FMPD vehicle was coming down Forum. At the light on Colonial the vehicle did stop but well beyond the stop bar with the FMPD car immediately behind. The first vehicle then completed the right turn while the light red with at least 2 signs stating no right on red in plain site. The FMPD car then followed through. My first thought was that the officer would pull the other vehicle over but not so. I then caught up with the vehicles at the light at the I75 southbound off ramp and noticed that the driver of the private vehicle was on her cell phone and it was highly likely that she never even saw the police car behind her. While I realize that it is ultimately up to the officer on whether or not a ticket is issued and am truly thankful for that I am curious why the officer didn't at least stop the other car and educate her. Since there was at least 10 other vehicles at the intersection you now have that many more drivers that will possibly not pay attention to this sign in the future because they've seen not enforce the law and not obey the law either. With drivers as bad as they are in this area you would think any officer would at least make an attempt to educate the drivers.

09-11-2008, 02:58 PM
I was curious, is it common practice for FMPD to not enforce the no right on red laws and disobey them as well? I was recently on Forum BLVD and noticed a FMPD vehicle in the right hand turn lane behind another vehicle. The lead vehicle had pulled out of the Home Depot/Starbucks parking area and the FMPD vehicle was coming down Forum. At the light on Colonial the vehicle did stop but well beyond the stop bar with the FMPD car immediately behind. The first vehicle then completed the right turn while the light red with at least 2 signs stating no right on red in plain site. The FMPD car then followed through. My first thought was that the officer would pull the other vehicle over but not so. I then caught up with the vehicles at the light at the I75 southbound off ramp and noticed that the driver of the private vehicle was on her cell phone and it was highly likely that she never even saw the police car behind her. While I realize that it is ultimately up to the officer on whether or not a ticket is issued and am truly thankful for that I am curious why the officer didn't at least stop the other car and educate her. Since there was at least 10 other vehicles at the intersection you now have that many more drivers that will possibly not pay attention to this sign in the future because they've seen not enforce the law and not obey the law either. With drivers as bad as they are in this area you would think any officer would at least make an attempt to educate the drivers.
Wow, you sure are a dazed and confused citizen. This read gave me a headache

09-11-2008, 03:03 PM
What makes you think the officer wasn't going to a "more important" call, and that this traffic violation wasn't a priority at the time?

09-11-2008, 03:32 PM
What makes you think the officer wasn't going to a "more important" call, and that this traffic violation wasn't a priority at the time?

I cannot say for certain that they weren't. However I do know that if they were then they certainly weren't in any type of hurry. While I am not sure of what FMPD policy is it would be my assumption that if an officer is going disregard a traffic control device they are at the very least suppose to use their emergency lights and if they were going to go through that light, why not go through the light after 75?

09-11-2008, 03:36 PM
Wow, you sure are a dazed and confused citizen. This read gave me a headache

Ahh, sorry you woke up with a hangover this morning.

09-11-2008, 05:59 PM
hey red light neurotic, mind your business and get off the leo site, discretion discretion discretion, if a cruiser safely goes thru a light ,it can be for a multitude of reasons, none of which have to be cleared by you. thats why it has lights and markings--hence the term emergecy vehicle

09-11-2008, 07:28 PM
hey red light neurotic, mind your business and get off the leo site, discretion discretion discretion, if a cruiser safely goes thru a light ,it can be for a multitude of reasons, none of which have to be cleared by you. thats why it has lights and markings--hence the term emergecy vehicle

Thanks for another useless response to a legitimate question. I am familiar with the concept of discretion. I'll be sure to use my discretion in deciding what laws I will follow in the presence of an FMPD officer and I'll use my discretion with how much respect I decide to show any FMPD officer since I believe you should get the same amount of respect you give.

09-11-2008, 08:06 PM
it happens all the time. it seems when your on the way to a call, thats when all the traffic infractiosn happen. but i dont think any officer would forgive themselves if they call themself off a 911 hang up to right a no turn on red ticket, while there fellow officer is getting beat up on that 911 hang up. Of course if your going to a low low priority call, its fine to hold off on going to the call and make the traffi stop, but you have to prioritize. ive gone to many calls involving fights or possible weapons, and see a car fly through a red light, to the point the other driverrs look at me and expect im gonna pull it over, but again im not gonna be in the position to tell another officer "sorry i wasn there fast enough and you got a black eye, i was writing a ticket for a red light violation." Maybe those citizens look at me like im not doing my job, but i could care less about someone running a red light if another officer is at risk.

as for police vehicles running red lights; they shouldnt be. It does happen. I think an officer safely making a right on red is not worth making a big deal about, i think an officer running a red light at an intersection to get to 7-11 faster would be a big deal, but not something as simple as that.

09-11-2008, 08:24 PM
it happens all the time. it seems when your on the way to a call, thats when all the traffic infractiosn happen. but i dont think any officer would forgive themselves if they call themself off a 911 hang up to right a no turn on red ticket, while there fellow officer is getting beat up on that 911 hang up. Of course if your going to a low low priority call, its fine to hold off on going to the call and make the traffi stop, but you have to prioritize. ive gone to many calls involving fights or possible weapons, and see a car fly through a red light, to the point the other driverrs look at me and expect im gonna pull it over, but again im not gonna be in the position to tell another officer "sorry i wasn there fast enough and you got a black eye, i was writing a ticket for a red light violation." Maybe those citizens look at me like im not doing my job, but i could care less about someone running a red light if another officer is at risk.

as for police vehicles running red lights; they shouldnt be. It does happen. I think an officer safely making a right on red is not worth making a big deal about, i think an officer running a red light at an intersection to get to 7-11 faster would be a big deal, but not something as simple as that.

Thanks for the reply. When seeing this as well as when I posted the original message I had considered those possibilities. It was just the actions after making the turn that gives me the impression that they weren't going to any other call. I could be wrong and I truly hope that I am. I would never think that a petty traffic citation is more important than going to help a fellow officer any day.

I just remember a few years ago they made a big deal about running red lights and not stopping before the stop bar and it caught a fair amount of news. Things had been a little better for a period of time. I drive at least 18 miles round trip each day and the number of times I see someone running a red light still amazes me. For the law abiding citizens safety, I just wish their were more officers, whether local, county or state out on the roads enforcing the traffic laws.

Again, thanks for the reply and stay safe!

09-11-2008, 10:50 PM
Ever since Chief Daniels left the place has gotten out of control. Discipline within the ranks has deteriorated and morale is as bad as ever. Dnaiels had some faults but at least he kept the department professional. The guys that are happy he is gone are the one who don't know what work really is.

09-13-2008, 05:07 AM
Ever since Chief Daniels left the place has gotten out of control. Discipline within the ranks has deteriorated and morale is as bad as ever. Dnaiels had some faults but at least he kept the department professional. The guys that are happy he is gone are the one who don't know what work really is.

He caused this deterioration fool! It will take a long time to clean up his mess. :twisted:

09-15-2008, 01:16 PM
no one can be sure but maybe this officer is in a zone he is not familier with and just didnt realize (like the car in front of him) that there was a "no turn" sign there. Officers usually have many other things going on and since there are very few intersections that dont allow right turns on red i am sure this is the case.

09-21-2008, 09:38 AM
no one can be sure but maybe this officer is in a zone he is not familier with and just didnt realize (like the car in front of him) that there was a "no turn" sign there. Officers usually have many other things going on and since there are very few intersections that dont allow right turns on red i am sure this is the case.
Oh really? I will be sure to tell the next cop that pulls me over the same thing since its ok for you guys to do it.

09-21-2008, 11:01 AM
Oh really? I will be sure to tell the next cop that pulls me over the same thing since its ok for you guys to do it.
Blah, Blah, Blah...Go sell crazy some place else, we are all sold out here

09-21-2008, 03:01 PM
I was curious, is it common practice for FMPD to not enforce the no right on red laws and disobey them as well?

Standard operating procedure. Our laws don't apply to them and their fellow officers because no-one will enforce the law against a fellow officer. That's bad manners of something like that, especially if you went to the academy together.

It's no wonder these douche bags feel they need to watch each others backs because no one else will. There no "band of brothers" here, more like a "gang of a-holes".

SCREW you guys!