View Full Version : STEVEN HOUGLAND LAWSUIT

09-10-2008, 11:17 AM
Jacksonville.cpm

Thursday, August 7, 2008
Story last updated at 6:45 p.m. on Thursday, August 7, 2008

Ex-beverage chief files 'whistleblower' lawsuit

By BILL KACZOR
Associated Press Writer

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. - A former Florida beverage director's lawsuit accuses two state agency heads of improperly intervening in alcohol enforcement matters on behalf of personal or political friends.

Steven Hougland's lawsuit alleges misconduct by Department of Business and Professional Regulation Secretary Chuck Drago and his predecessor, Holly Benson, now secretary of the Agency for Health Care Administration. It was filed in state Circuit Court in Tallahassee last Friday under Florida's "whistleblower" law.

Hougland, who claims he was forced to resign, previously made similar complaints to the state's Ethics and Human Relations commissions but they were rejected. Gov. Charlie Crist's inspector general also investigated two of the complaints and found both unsubstantiated.

Benson was Hougland's boss in 2006-07 when Hougland directed the beverage division. Drago then was Benson's deputy.

Drago and Benson, both Crist appointees, denied the allegations and cited the prior investigations.

"I fully expect this fourth attempt will end with the same result," Benson said in a statement. In an interview, Drago said "there was no evidence, no proof of wrongdoing."

The lawsuit alleges Benson misused her position on behalf of a beer distributor in Pensacola, where she once served as a state legislator, and the nearby Sandestin Golf and Beach Resort.

It accuses Drago of using his influence to hire an unqualified friend, Ken Staab, and give beverage industry consultant John Harris inappropriate access to agency staff. Harris is a friend of Drago and Florida Republican Party Chairman Jim Greer, also a beverage consultant, the lawsuit says.

Drago said he knew Harris and Staab but neither was a social friend. He said Staab was well-qualified to be a major in the Alcoholic Beverages and Tobacco Division because of his experience as director of Broward County's organized crime intelligence unit.

Harris received the same access any citizen would get under Crist's open government policy, Drago said.

"If a member of the industry or licensee or customer of any kind comes to us with concerns or issues I believe we should speak with them," he said.

Hougland attorney, Gary Lee Printy, declined comment. Hougland is seeking reinstatement and compensation for lost salary and benefits. He now works for the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission.

His lawsuit, which names Drago's department as a defendant, accuses Benson of reversing an order to stop the sale of Bud Light beer in special orange Hooters bottles at the restaurant chain "because of her close relationship with Lewis Bear," a Pensacola beer distributor who contributed to her political campaigns.

Beverage agents alleged the bottles violated a state law barring beer makers and distributors from engaging in cooperative advertising with vendors.

Agency lawyers initially agreed, but later changed their opinion, according to a report by Crist's inspector general, Melinda Miguel. They then decided the bottles were allowable point of sale advertising items, but that vendors must pay any additional costs. That should be 10 cents a case, the attorneys decided.

Agents also were ready to crack down on 19 privately owned restaurants and bars at Sandestin for unlicensed beverage sales until Benson told the division's chief lawyer "to discontinue any action against the resort," the lawsuit alleges.

The Ethics Commission said it found insufficient evidence for a complaint that Benson misused her position in the Hooters case. The panel also cleared Drago in the Harris access case and found Staab was qualified. Hougland's ethics complaint did not include the Sandestin case.

The Human Relations Commission halted its investigation after finding insufficient information to show Hougland was forced out. He told investigators he wasn't asked to leave but felt he had to resign to avoid participating in inappropriate conduct by his superiors.

09-10-2008, 11:28 AM
It is worse than you may think. According to the managers at ABT I spoke to, Hoagland was wasting literally the entire budget on crazy computer purchases, un-used marked cars and uniforms that were never worn and that got immediately sent back to Tallahassee right after they finally fired Hoagland.

Today I hear ABT cannot fund itself due to the damage and fiscal ignorance of Hoagland. By wasting millions on ridiculous stunts, ABT today does not have money for gas for its aging fleet or even money to pay tolls on the turnpike.

09-10-2008, 12:35 PM
From what I have read in this thread, He will fit right in. He can be in charge of spending our raise monies on laptop computers and fancy new hats. He might be tasked with buying our new guns, or should I say our new half guns. He'll be a Major before you know it.

09-10-2008, 01:10 PM
From what I have read in this thread, He will fit right in. He can be in charge of spending our raise monies on laptop computers and fancy new hats. He might be tasked with buying our new guns, or should I say our new half guns. He'll be a Major before you know it.

he is a Major, over training and doing a piss poor job. getting rid of the Academy was the worst thing he has done now were are going to get employess in the field that has not recived the type of training we got in the academy. Way to go Major.

09-10-2008, 04:41 PM
THANKS "MAJOR" HOUGLAND. HOUGLAND'S INEXPERIENCE AND INCOMPETENCE HAS SCREWED TRAINING UP AT FWC TO THE POINT THAT IT MAY NOT BE FIXABLE.

HOW MANY YEARS DID OUR ACADEMY SYSTEM WORK FINE BEFORE HE CAME IN WITH 15 1/2 MINUTES OF FWC EXPERIENCE AND GUTTED IT? HOW MANY OTHER BRIGHT IDEAS WILL HE COME UP WITH?

WORD IS HOUGLAND WON'T LISTEN TO OTHERS, CAN'T BE TAUGHT ANYTHING, AND MAKES EXPENSIVE MISTAKES AGAIN AND AGAIN. WHAT HE DID SO FAR AT FWC IS ARROGANT AND DANGEROUS-HE IS PROVING HIS TRUE COLORS LIKE WHEN HE WAS A DISASTER AT ABT-NOW NEW FWC PERSONNEL WILL BE UNPREPARED TO FACE THE REALITIES OF THE JOB. HOUGLAND DOES NOT KNOW OR UNDERSTAND WHAT FWC DOES SO HE WILL CONTINUE TO MAKE THESE KIND OF MISTAKES.

09-10-2008, 11:31 PM
Remember, "Car 1" makes all the final decisions!

09-11-2008, 02:12 AM
Wow, a bunch of table counting pi$$ poor excuses for cops(beverage) attacking mullet marshals. What have we come to? neither agency has much to brag about. Hougland did make some stupid decisions, but he did not waste all those millions as the DA who posted states, it was the Secretary. No beverage director has that kind of clout. Beverage should be disbanded and civilianized.

09-17-2008, 10:04 PM
Wow, a bunch of table counting pi$$ poor excuses for cops(beverage) attacking mullet marshals. What have we come to? neither agency has much to brag about. Hougland did make some stupid decisions, but he did not waste all those millions as the DA who posted states, it was the Secretary. No beverage director has that kind of clout. Beverage should be disbanded and civilianized.
You are correct!!! Beverage was disbanded in 1969. The move to gut the agency has been underway since then. A couple more governors and the job should be complete. Hoagland was not a good fit in ABT, but the damage he inflicted was endorsed by a host of incompetent individuals above him.

09-17-2008, 10:25 PM
You are correct!!! Beverage was disbanded in 1969. The move to gut the agency has been underway since then. A couple more governors and the job should be complete. Hoagland was not a good fit in ABT, but the damage he inflicted was endorsed by a host of incompetent individuals above him.

Beverage was never disbanded. It was renamed, in part due to the additional regulation of tobacco. It was also placed under another agency, but never disbanded. None of the agents lost thier jobs as a result of the changes. Many different departments throughout the state have been renamed and shuffled around. Florida Marine Patrol was disbanded, because they did not maintain any kind of autonomy; they were completely absorbed by FWC (or was it DEP?). The Florida Department of Insurance wasn't disbanded, just renamed to Dept. of Financial Services. Was FWC "disbanded" when it underwent name changes??? Nope.

I will admit, over the years there have been many attempts to gut the agency, some successful, some not. However, the industry backs up ABT because it's easier to deal with one agency than every other one in the State. Besides, groups like MADD love what we do, and that translates into major political pull to keep us around. Not to mention that ABT is second only to Dept. of Revenue for bringing money in. If we've survived all the budget cuts so far, we're not going anywhere. We're the State's oldest LE Agency, and It's gonna stay that way because there are too many interests in keeping it that way.

09-17-2008, 10:41 PM
I disagree with your contention that the Beverage Department was never disbanded. While your observation is correct, the practical application of consolidating state government and placing the once great Beverage Department under the purview of Business Regulation had the full force and effect of "gutting" the agency. Maybe the more correct term would be "disemboweled?" Sematics, I suppose.

09-17-2008, 10:45 PM
Actually, ABT isn't the oldest state law enforcement agency. That title goes to DEP. In about 1910, the state created what was known as the "Shellfish Commission " which through it's many incarnations ultimately became DEP Law Enforcement.

09-17-2008, 10:48 PM
I disagree with your contention that the Beverage Department was never disbanded. While your observation is correct, the practical application of consolidating state government and placing the once great Beverage Department under the purview of Business Regulation had the full force and effect of "gutting" the agency. Maybe the more correct term would be "disemboweled?" Sematics, I suppose.

OK, following that logic I understand what you're saying. True we aren't what we once were, but I still don't think we'll be going anywhere.

09-17-2008, 10:52 PM
Actually, ABT isn't the oldest state law enforcement agency. That title goes to DEP. In about 1910, the state created what was known as the "Shellfish Commission " which through it's many incarnations ultimately became DEP Law Enforcement.

Where did you find that? Out of sheer interest, I'd like to know how that happened. As far as I know, the Beverage Dept. were the first ones sworn into an actual police agency. But hey, you live and you learn...

09-17-2008, 11:27 PM
Actually it was discovered during the Hoagland administration. There was an initial move to put "Florida's Oldest State Law Enforcement Agency" on the marked units. Research revealed the "Shellfish Commission" which included a group of commissioned officers who can trace their evolution to what is now DEP. Needless to say, the final marked car lettering was changed to say "Proudly Serving Since 1933." I think Gatliff has the details for a book he is writing.

09-18-2008, 01:14 AM
Actually it went from Shellfish Commission to Board of Conservation, DNR/FMP, DEP FMP, FWC & DEP. None the less he tends to clone other agencies policies. I guess his PHD came from the Univiersity of Phoenix :cop: What a joke.

09-18-2008, 02:50 AM
Actually it went from Shellfish Commission to Board of Conservation, DNR/FMP, DEP FMP, FWC & DEP. None the less he tends to clone other agencies policies. I guess his PHD came from the Univiersity of Phoenix :cop: What a joke.

He calls himself "Doctor", because he has a PhD in English. I personally refuse to consider anyone not in the medical field a Doctor.

09-18-2008, 11:35 PM

He calls himself "Doctor", because he has a PhD in English. I personally refuse to consider anyone not in the medical field a Doctor.

Not that facts matter on this board, but the proper title for anyone with a PhD--no matter the field--is Doctor. After all, PhD means Doctor of Philosophy. His is not from the University of Phoenix, and it's not in English.

The "joke" if there ever was one is how you people conduct yourself on this site. No matter what its original intention or purpose, it's nothing more than a forum to disparage and libel named individuals behind the anonymity of "Guest." What a joke. Isn't it time for you to move on...the guy's been gone a year. Let it go. Go back to the Beverage site and leave us alone. Then go back to school and take a course on word choice and punctuation.

09-18-2008, 11:57 PM

Not that facts matter on this board, but the proper title for anyone with a PhD--no matter the field--is Doctor. After all, PhD means Doctor of Philosophy. His is not from the University of Phoenix, and it's not in English.

The "joke" if there ever was one is how you people conduct yourself on this site. No matter what its original intention or purpose, it's nothing more than a forum to disparage and libel named individuals behind the anonymity of "Guest." What a joke. Isn't it time for you to move on...the guy's been gone a year. Let it go. Go back to the Beverage site and leave us alone. Then go back to school and take a course on word choice and punctuation.

I guess you're correct, "Professor". The good "Doctor" is now an FWC problem. Whether you like my choice of words or not (as well as my punctuation) has nothing to do with the fact that the Colonel/Major/Doctor is giving your agency one hell of a rectal examination. When it comes to him, you had better know the truth of what he's done.

09-21-2008, 08:02 PM
Another example of a poor executive hiring choice (remember Sabra Thornton?) by Col. Julie Jones which was approved by Ken Haddad.....she can't get our officers a raise and continues to demonstrate her inability to lead.

Obviously there are other serious problems with this entire issue....she just had a position advertised for a Captain's position as Accreditation Manager which Major Hougland was hired for....and the beat goes on.

09-21-2008, 11:13 PM
Another example of a poor executive hiring choice (remember Sabra Thornton?) by Col. Julie Jones which was approved by Ken Haddad.....she can't get our officers a raise and continues to demonstrate her inability to lead.

Obviously there are other serious problems with this entire issue....she just had a position advertised for a Captain's position as Accreditation Manager which Major Hougland was hired for....and the beat goes on.

Yes, he's both the Accreditation Manager and the Academy Director. Both are full time jobs previously held by 2 FTEs. Which of those two jobs should he do for one paycheck?

09-22-2008, 12:02 AM

Yes, he's both the Accreditation Manager and the Academy Director. Both are full time jobs previously held by 2 FTEs. Which of those two jobs should he do for one paycheck?

It appears he is doing neither.....there are no Academy BRC classes and we are still NOT accredited after more than six years. And you need to get off your knees for a reality check.

10-05-2008, 04:44 AM
All politics!! How good it would look on a resume to initiate and follow through with getting game and fish accredited.. Another feather in the cap, especially for car 1!

10-05-2008, 03:39 PM
Hougland came to ABT with big credentials. He also brought his "bud" as his Major His follow through was poor, her style and ability nonexistant and now he is FWC's boat anchor. You guys (Car 1) need to cut your losses and be done with him. Why are you advertising for an accreditation manager that will not report to Hougland, if he is the alleged expert? Someone (Car 1) must have lost confidence.

10-06-2008, 10:51 PM
Hougland came to ABT with big credentials. He also brought his "bud" as his Major His follow through was poor, her style and ability nonexistant and now he is FWC's boat anchor. You guys (Car 1) need to cut your losses and be done with him. Why are you advertising for an accreditation manager that will not report to Hougland, if he is the alleged expert? Someone (Car 1) must have lost confidence.

I just don't understand why you people continue to make up this stuff. The position reports directly to him. He has 3 years left in DROP, and we are hiring someone now so he can train his replacement. If you insist on continuing to post, at least check your facts before you do so. But then maybe you wouldn't have anything to write about. Let it go already.

10-07-2008, 02:11 AM
I'd venture to say that Car 1 is an active poster on this website. I'd go as far to say that Car 1 is responsible for that last post.

10-07-2008, 07:54 PM
If it is car 1 at least the facts are correct. Try to get yours correct next time.

03-07-2009, 03:07 AM
The FWC guys have to be chuckling about Sabra Thornton's latest legal issues.

03-07-2009, 08:51 PM
I hear she got 80 thousand + benefits for a job she didn't even have to show up for. It is hilarious that half the SO didn't even know she "worked" there. Just wait - she will portray herself as a "victim." The only info I have is from what has been on the news - but it surely sounds like some silliness went on there.

03-07-2009, 11:41 PM
She was chief of shaft not chief of staff.

03-08-2009, 12:03 AM
What issues did Sabra have??? I heard it was a family thing. PLease fill in the blanks

03-08-2009, 01:33 AM
Check out nwfdailynews.com for the latest. She is tied (although not charged) to allegations of wrongoing by the sheriff who was removed form office by the governor. Take time to read the comments by readers too.

03-08-2009, 05:28 AM
Anyone know anything more about this?

http://www.keyboarddetective.com/2009/0 ... o-for.html (http://www.keyboarddetective.com/2009/03/what-did-maj-sabra-thornton-do-for.html)

03-08-2009, 05:29 AM
Let's try this again...

http://www.keyboarddetective.com/2009/03/what-did-maj-sabra-thornton-do-for.html

03-08-2009, 03:36 PM
I'm so glad I'm no longer with FWC. There is a better life out there. Until Tallahassee realizes that the higher ups within FWC dont know their butts from a hole in the ground nothing is going to get better. Many of the division chiefs needs to be booted because they don't know a thing about wildlife, etc., and instead of hiring and keeping people who do, they hire their friends and relatives or druggies or signal 20s or cheaters. They keep drunks and druggies on board, causing good, hardworking people to leave the agency for green pastures. I cannot believe the academy was slashed. I can't wait to see in the media the first time an FWC officer who is NOT trained with wildlife (especially gators) gets a hunk taken out of him because an idiot cut the training academy and now he has no training. Oh well. For all of the rest of you. Stay safe out there and keep looking elsewhere. It's not going to get better for you, but worse.

03-08-2009, 06:32 PM
I'm so glad I'm no longer with FWC. There is a better life out there. Until Tallahassee realizes that the higher ups within FWC dont know their butts from a hole in the ground nothing is going to get better. Many of the division chiefs needs to be booted because they don't know a thing about wildlife, etc., and instead of hiring and keeping people who do, they hire their friends and relatives or druggies or signal 20s or cheaters. They keep drunks and druggies on board, causing good, hardworking people to leave the agency for green pastures. I cannot believe the academy was slashed. I can't wait to see in the media the first time an FWC officer who is NOT trained with wildlife (especially gators) gets a hunk taken out of him because an idiot cut the training academy and now he has no training. Oh well. For all of the rest of you. Stay safe out there and keep looking elsewhere. It's not going to get better for you, but worse.Well put. Here's another example of FWC logic. We now have two Captains that have been demoted for violating policy into positions most officers would give their right arm for. DA and LL.

03-10-2009, 12:55 AM
what happened to LL, or what did she do?

03-10-2009, 02:01 AM
what happened to LL, or what did she do?She violated an evidence policy helping one of her guys out and got called out on it. It was kind of a bull@#$% bust actually. Regardless, she gets to move out of the Keys back to where she owns a condo and now has a M-F 9 to 5 job. She doesn't even have to wear a uniform. I just wonder how DA still has a job after lying about have a college degree and his military service.