PDA

View Full Version : Florida fatalities down involving commercial vehicles

NewsHound
09-06-2008, 04:06 PM
Florida fatalities down involving commercial vehicles

The state of Florida recently received an award from the American Association of Motor Vehicle Administrators nationally recognizing the state for reducing fatalities involving commercial vehicles.

The Florida Highway Patrol accepted the award.

There were 366 fatalities in 2007 involving commercial motor vehicles, down from 535 in 2005, the FHP reported.

Officials credited the decline to law enforcement combating unsafe and fatigued commercial drivers, raising awareness among non-commercial drivers of the dangers of driving too close to or around commercial vehicles, and educating drivers about properly planning trips and buckling up.

The award was presented at the associations annual conference in Orlando.

Source (http://www.naplesnews.com/news/2008/sep/04/florida-fatalities-down-involving-commercial-vehic/?partner=RSS)

09-07-2008, 04:29 AM
I think it is quite funny how the FHP was so readily available to take an award you DOT guys worked to earn. Yet they bash you guys every chance they get on their forums. Kinda Ironic???? Not trying to tick people off, I just think its funny. At least you know who the real recipients should be, congrats guys. Keep up the good work.

09-13-2008, 06:28 PM
I think it is quite funny how the FHP was so readily available to take an award you DOT guys worked to earn. Yet they bash you guys every chance they get on their forums. Kinda Ironic???? Not trying to tick people off, I just think its funny. At least you know who the real recipients should be, congrats guys. Keep up the good work.

OK...So explain to me how just coming to work as usual makes the fatality rate drop. Does writing an enormous ticket to the farmer on some back road on a tractor really make the fatality rate drop? Please tell me how your personnel on the third shift (midnights) stopped all the "outlaw" CMV's that usually cause such crashes. Go ahead and show me some special enforcement details you organized made the stats drop that made a significant difference. Do you really think the "dump detail" contributed to this reduction in deaths? I'm waiting to see your holiday enforcement numbers in the CMV column of any reports (since we all know you were working every holiday). Let's hear how many numbers dropped due to your enforcement efforts during inclement weather...or do you even have a raincoat?
Please spare me the false recognition you so are readily willing to accept at the expense of those who worked for the reduction in numbers while you watched from afar. If you want the recognition, organize the details so other agencies won't have to. You may then be entitled to some recognition for your efforts when you report the reduction born by those efforts (as the FHP has).

09-13-2008, 08:24 PM

OK...So explain to me how just coming to work as usual makes the fatality rate drop. Does writing an enormous ticket to the farmer on some back road on a tractor really make the fatality rate drop? Please tell me how your personnel on the third shift (midnights) stopped all the "outlaw" CMV's that usually cause such crashes. Go ahead and show me some special enforcement details you organized made the stats drop that made a significant difference. Do you really think the "dump detail" contributed to this reduction in deaths? I'm waiting to see your holiday enforcement numbers in the CMV column of any reports (since we all know you were working every holiday). Let's hear how many numbers dropped due to your enforcement efforts during inclement weather...or do you even have a raincoat?
Please spare me the false recognition you so are readily willing to accept at the expense of those who worked for the reduction in numbers while you watched from afar. If you want the recognition, organize the details so other agencies won't have to. You may then be entitled to some recognition for your efforts when you report the reduction born by those efforts (as the FHP has).

Mr. Lil FHP guy, thats all we do is trucking enforcement. That is what our agency is. 50% of our field offices have to work Holidays. If you give me your address I will be more and happy to mail you our stats during holiday enforcement and on a monthly basis. If not willing to give an address, call DOT (Tallahassee) tell them what you wrote and I'm sure they will be happy to give you stats... Last year (2007) 118,000 CVSA inspections were conducted with $12,000,000 in civil fines that goto the state.
Yes we have rain coates and are used when we assist with S-4's because we were on scene first. By the way we got new ones instead of the 5% raise. If interested in a ride along to really see what we do give me a shout if in Orlando. I don't know why you get on here to start a fuss. I guess DOT will accept the award for the crashes!! It's all good.
And yes I used to work for a PD before DOT so I know how to answer calls and work wrecks.

K9 Ofc Boland
Orlando Office

09-14-2008, 04:40 AM

Mr. Lil FHP guy, thats all we do is trucking enforcement. That is what our agency is. 50% of our field offices have to work Holidays. If you give me your address I will be more and happy to mail you our stats during holiday enforcement and on a monthly basis. If not willing to give an address, call DOT (Tallahassee) tell them what you wrote and I'm sure they will be happy to give you stats... Last year (2007) 118,000 CVSA inspections were conducted with $12,000,000 in civil fines that goto the state.
Yes we have rain coates and are used when we assist with S-4's because we were on scene first. By the way we got new ones instead of the 5% raise. If interested in a ride along to really see what we do give me a shout if in Orlando. I don't know why you get on here to start a fuss. I guess DOT will accept the award for the crashes!! It's all good.
And yes I used to work for a PD before DOT so I know how to answer calls and work wrecks.

K9 Ofc Boland
Orlando Office

The award was given to the STATE OF FLORIDA, not FHP. Will you guys please read before you start firing heat seeking missles at each other? FHP just happend to be the agency that ACCEPTED the award for the State.