PDA

View Full Version : Plantation police cars to remain white

09-04-2008, 01:51 AM
When it comes to Plantation's police cars, there is no black and white.

Officers want the 10 new 2009 Ford Crown Victoria Interceptors the city will buy from a local dealer to be painted the traditional black and white, and the 200 existing marked cars eventually to be painted in the same tones.

"We've seen the black and white cars in other cities," said Detective Philip Toman. "They do look nice. They're more recognizable."

The cars currently are white.

Police Chief Larry Massey Jr. said at a recent commission meeting, where the purchase of the new cars was approved, if officers want black and white patrol cars, that's fine with him.

But money is tight, Massey said, and the department needs in-car cameras and gun racks.

"I just don't think it's a good business decision," he said.

Toman said, "I think it's more tradition," explaining police cars in old movies are black and white. "I guess officers have that in their head that that's the way a police car looks."

Councilwoman Diane Veltri Bendekovic said she would "go with equipment and functionality every time."

Painting the new cars would cost $900 each and $1,800 for each existing police car, said Frank DeCelles, the city's public works director.

Councilman Jerry Fadgen said he likes the police cars just the way they are.

"I guess I get used to things," he said. "Black and white reminds me of the Keystone Cops."

Fadgen said the white cars have a distinctive look. "They mark our city."

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/broward/sfl-flpolice0831cwaug31,0,4347489.story

09-05-2008, 01:06 PM
When it comes to Plantation's police cars, there is no black and white.

Officers want the 10 new 2009 Ford Crown Victoria Interceptors the city will buy from a local dealer to be painted the traditional black and white, and the 200 existing marked cars eventually to be painted in the same tones.

"We've seen the black and white cars in other cities," said Detective Philip Toman. "They do look nice. They're more recognizable."

The cars currently are white.

Police Chief Larry Massey Jr. said at a recent commission meeting, where the purchase of the new cars was approved, if officers want black and white patrol cars, that's fine with him.

But money is tight, Massey said, and the department needs in-car cameras and gun racks.

"I just don't think it's a good business decision," he said.

Toman said, "I think it's more tradition," explaining police cars in old movies are black and white. "I guess officers have that in their head that that's the way a police car looks."

Councilwoman Diane Veltri Bendekovic said she would "go with equipment and functionality every time."

Painting the new cars would cost $900 each and $1,800 for each existing police car, said Frank DeCelles, the city's public works director.

Councilman Jerry Fadgen said he likes the police cars just the way they are.

"I guess I get used to things," he said. "Black and white reminds me of the Keystone Cops."

Fadgen said the white cars have a distinctive look. "They mark our city."

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/broward/sfl-flpolice0831cwaug31,0,4347489.story

Jerry
isnt it time you move on? Youre the only keystone around here. youre the biggiest E. Scrooge. one good hurricane and your little strip plaza at East Acre is history, just like you should be!

09-14-2008, 06:50 AM
Newsflash: cars can be ordered in black and white for $400. Ford changed the way they run the paint production line drastically reducing the cost. Yes, painting the existing fleet would be foolish and wasteful. It was a huge waste when we painted the brown cars white with that crappy homemade paint job.
Black and white police cars are universally recognizeable as police cars. DOJ studies have shown that black and whites also give the public the impression of a larger police presence. I'm glad our spokesmen are so well informed. But since we are always the last to do anything, I don't expect to see any positive changes.