PDA

View Full Version : Who Shot the Dog? and Tased the 13 Year Old?

09-03-2008, 05:25 PM
In regards to the letter to the editor in today's paper, I am curious as to whether the SO or the PD, or both were involved. The letter was not clear.

Would someone offer up the details so that we can hear Law Enforcement's side of the story instead of just the Mother's slanted side of it. Hearing just the mother's side of it, it doesn't sound real good. I know there has to be a lot more to it than what was there.

09-03-2008, 11:44 PM
Don't look for any law enforcement response here. Bet they are talking only to their attorney and preparing for a civil action.

09-04-2008, 12:22 AM
Don't look for any law enforcement response here. Bet they are talking only to their attorney and preparing for a civil action.

I wish the Newspaper would have done an article on it based upon the Police Report. At least then we could have gotten the other version of it.

I would love to read that report.

09-04-2008, 03:48 PM

I wish the Newspaper would have done an article on it based upon the Police Report. At least then we could have gotten the other version of it.

The report is a matter of public record and you can acquire a copy from the involved law enforcement agency. Unless it's still an open investigation.

09-04-2008, 05:15 PM

The report is a matter of public record and you can acquire a copy from the involved law enforcement agency. Unless it's still an open investigation.

Thanks. I am aware of that. As small as this town is though, I don't think that would be a prudent thing for me to do. I can see now the scrutiny that my family and I would face from the law in this town, if I were to request a copy of that report. Of course I know that they would never do anything illegal, but they could still make things very uncomfortable for any law abiding citizen if they wanted to.

09-04-2008, 09:36 PM
It's a shame you're living in fear of local law enforcement.

I've not heard of one case of a citizen being intimidated by cops after requesting a copy of a police report.

Maybe one of Taylor's Finest will post a copy in this forum for all to read. I'm sure they don't have anything to hide.

09-05-2008, 02:34 PM
It's a shame you're living in fear of local law enforcement.

I've not heard of one case of a citizen being intimidated by cops after requesting a copy of a police report.

Maybe one of Taylor's Finest will post a copy in this forum for all to read. I'm sure they don't have anything to hide.

I haven't heard of them doing it either, but I wouldn't put it past some of them here not all, but some. I'm taking it that it happened in the city, but we haven't been able to confirm that. The letter to the editor stated Taylor County Police and Sheriff's Dept. I'm guessing both Perry PD and TCSO were on the scene.

I wish the police would discuss their side of it, as we all know theirs numerous sides to every story. All the public is getting is the Mother of the teenagers involved. Granted, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but it is all we the people have to go on.

09-06-2008, 12:55 PM
The person that wrote that letter to the editor had a clear anti-police slant, the truth is:
Officers went to the residence ( a pay by the day motel) to question suspects about some houses that were burglarized. The upstanding citizens inside pushed a pit bull mix not a lab out the door toward the officers. The dog caught one of the officers in the leg, officer 1 was able to kick him away and the loving non-violent dog charged another officer bearing teeth. The other officer saw that the loving animal had just bitten a fellow officer and decided to recklessly shoot the dog to keep from getting bitten as well.

The officers acted properly and there was no hint of negligent action. Sorry for the sarcasm in the post but all the frivolous complaints are starting to chap my A%&.

09-06-2008, 06:16 PM
Why did the officer use lethal force? Do they not have intermediate weapons like tasers, pepper spray or an asp. If so, do they receive training for these situations? Did they not consider innocent bystanders could be hit by gunfire? Is the officer on leave pending an investigation? Not sure a dog bite is considered life threatening.

09-07-2008, 06:04 PM
Why did the officer use lethal force? Do they not have intermediate weapons like tasers, pepper spray or an asp. If so, do they receive training for these situations? Did they not consider innocent bystanders could be hit by gunfire? Is the officer on leave pending an investigation? Not sure a dog bite is considered life threatening.

Stopping a dangerous dog
Courts across the country have declared pit bulls as "lethal weapons." Police officers have the right to shoot and kill when under threat or when protecting citizens. Examples of officers shooting pit bulls are a daily occurrence in the news. They are often quoted as saying, "The taser did not stop the dog. I had to use my gun."
Even when a pit bull is challenged by a group of humans it will not retreat. Wild animals, on the other hand, have self-preservation instincts. They usually flee when confronted in the same manner.

Lets look at the options you presented that the officer could have used.
You have an aggressive pit bull charging you, he is intent on catching you and is basically on a mission. He is closing fast and you have a mere second to react. You can choose a Taser, An ASP or other baton, Pepper Spray or your firearm.
If you choose the Taser will you be able to place both probes into the charging animal? A single probe hitting the dog will not incapacitate him. Maximum range on the TASER is less than 30 feet.I think not....
Next option is an ASP, do you really want to wait until the dog is close enough to lunge and catch you before the weapon you have chosen will strike him? ASPs are not very long and I personally would not like to wait that long to defend myself.
Next pepper spray, did you know that pepper spray does not work on every person out there? Did you know that pepper spray does not work on all dogs out there. A dog with an aggressive drive will not be deterred by pepper spray, it actually has the opposite effect on the high drive dog, making them attack a little more violently. would you actually choose this option knowing that if you spray him and it does not work he will actually be a little more violent than he has already been.
Finally the Firearm, yes it is a lethal choice, yes it cannot be undone. But when you consider a pit bull can and will kill you, Yes it is a lethal weapon unto itself and has been banned it several areas of the country, and yes it is easier to shoot a dog with a firearm than with a TASER.
So take your choice, use something that might work if all circumstances are perfect or use a firearm, I will use my firearm....
Oh and unless someone was on the ground crawling as fast as the dog at you you are not going to shoot them. Look at the geometry of the situation.

Pit bulls and pit-bull crosses (not always easy to distinguish) have caused more than a third of the nation's dog-bite fatalities since 1979 and a comparable proportion of serious injuries.

You can check out this link and see how dangerous these guys really are:
http://pit-bulls.christianfunfair.org/attacks.htm

09-07-2008, 10:08 PM
How about a link to the department policy on deadly force. Was this justified use? Who declared the dog a pit bull? Maybe a link to the police report would clear it up. All I see posted here are opinions and third hand information. If your going to take the time to reply bring facts not smoke and mirrors.

09-07-2008, 10:42 PM
How about a link to the department policy on deadly force. Was this justified use? Who declared the dog a pit bull? Maybe a link to the police report would clear it up. All I see posted here are opinions and third hand information. If your going to take the time to reply bring facts not smoke and mirrors.

I do not work for the department involved don't even live in the area anymore, just try to stay informed about a place where I used to work.

But I can tell you that where I work now with the limited information I have heard and read about the incident, the use of lethal force in that situation is justified. If this thing goes to trial wish I could be on the jury..

09-08-2008, 03:25 AM

I do not work for the department involved don't even live in the area anymore, just try to stay informed about a place where I used to work.

But I can tell you that where I work now with the limited information I have heard and read about the incident, the use of lethal force in that situation is justified. If this thing goes to trial wish I could be on the jury..

Sounds like you don't belong on a jury at all. You have read or heard limited information and already made up your mind. That's exactly the wrong type of person who needs to be on a jury.

The people that need to be on a jury are those that are waiting to here all of the sides of the incident before making up their minds.

I'm glad you left Perry. I'm sorry some other agency picked you up. If you can't wait until you here all sides of an incident before making up your mind, you are going to be making some serious mistakes throughout your career.

09-08-2008, 03:40 AM
This is the text of the Letter to the Editor for those who have not read it.

Dear Editor:

Knock, knock you can't come in. I am terribly upset at how the Taylor County police and the sheriff's office conducted themselves on June 25.

While I was at work, my children were at home. You knocked on my door never asking it there was an adult at home or showing any kind of paperwork for you to just enter my home. Before I even got home, while the animal control stood idly by, you shot the family dog named Cocoa, that is a lab and not a pit as you claimed. She never bit anyone but you lied and said she did bite you before. Cocoa ran inside to get shelter but you dragged her out in spite of the fact that she was already bleeding to death. I saw her eyes rolling to the back of her head, yet animal control still put a noose around her neck and tightened the grip while she was gasping for air. I knew she was gone.

Cocoa was a playful loving protector of my children like a K-9 who protects his fellow officer, but she was better. She was not taught to protect. She did it out of love for her family. I vow o get justice for her so that she did not die in vain.

You tased my son who is only 13 years old, whose only crime was trying to save his beloved Cocoa and then you charged him with resisting arrest. You pulled a gun on my 15-year-old that was walking up to his room. He was not armed or dangerous, yet you treated him like he was a wanted criminal. Even a murder gets more respect than you gave him.

Your traumatized my two younger children! They will never be the same again after seeing you shoot their beloved Cocoa. To those who stood by and did nothing or to those who are reading this: this could have been your home, your children and your family dog.

We miss you Cocoa and thank you for saving your family. It could have been one of us that got shot instead you. All this could have had a better ending if you all had used common sense and Cocoa would still be here today.

A little bit of advice from me to all the officers who were there: You want respect from us or the community? Respect is not automatic because you have a badge! You have to earn the respect like everyone else.

To those who hear me, help me make a stand.

From TACO Times September 3, 2008

09-08-2008, 03:43 AM
The person that wrote that letter to the editor had a clear anti-police slant, the truth is:
Officers went to the residence ( a pay by the day motel) to question suspects about some houses that were burglarized. The upstanding citizens inside pushed a pit bull mix not a lab out the door toward the officers. The dog caught one of the officers in the leg, officer 1 was able to kick him away and the loving non-violent dog charged another officer bearing teeth. The other officer saw that the loving animal had just bitten a fellow officer and decided to recklessly shoot the dog to keep from getting bitten as well.

The officers acted properly and there was no hint of negligent action. Sorry for the sarcasm in the post but all the frivolous complaints are starting to chap my A%&.

If this is the case, how is it that they had Animal Control with them? I don't believe that they take Animal Control with them every time they go to question Burglary Suspects. Maybe if they were going to question "Cat Burglars".....