PDA

View Full Version : Call chasing Investigators

09-03-2008, 01:56 PM
What has happened to our "covert" investigators? I remember when the inv. utilized their unmarked vehicles and plain clothes as very effective tools. I dont know about other counties, but something has changed here. We have an Inv. that chases the officers around all day. If he hears an officer get a call, he usually bets them to it. He will stand to the side and just watch the officer handle the call. I remember a few years ago, when the other Inv. called you on the radio, you could count on a good case. Now, Its a joke. We might get a call because the Inv. "smells' a case as he likes to put it. He also likes to ask for a marked unit so he doesn't "burn" his unmarked truck. Makes good sense to me,right? Oh, it gets better. He then pulls up behind you while your taking care of buisness and FLASHES his badge to the one you stopped!
I realize we probally have the only Inv. in the state like this. And I sure hope so! I see the problem actually being with him being afraid he is going to miss some gossip. Afraid that if two officers sign out somewhere they might discuss something he doesn't know. Or afraid he might not have the chance to catch them up on the latest rumor from the Sheriff's office. Its sad when an Iv. is more concerned with Lies, gossip,rumors and running that gator than with doing his job.
I takes a special person to be an effective Investigator. One that doesn't mind being left alone, out of the "loop" at times. One that can LISTEN more than talk. I know these qualities because I was one for several years prior to a promotion. Thank you to those that do their job daily. And to the call chaser......look in the mirror.

09-03-2008, 04:34 PM
What has happened to our "covert" investigators? I remember when the inv. utilized their unmarked vehicles and plain clothes as very effective tools. I dont know about other counties, but something has changed here. We have an Inv. that chases the officers around all day. If he hears an officer get a call, he usually bets them to it. He will stand to the side and just watch the officer handle the call. I remember a few years ago, when the other Inv. called you on the radio, you could count on a good case. Now, Its a joke. We might get a call because the Inv. "smells' a case as he likes to put it. He also likes to ask for a marked unit so he doesn't "burn" his unmarked truck. Makes good sense to me,right? Oh, it gets better. He then pulls up behind you while your taking care of buisness and FLASHES his badge to the one you stopped!
I realize we probally have the only Inv. in the state like this. And I sure hope so! I see the problem actually being with him being afraid he is going to miss some gossip. Afraid that if two officers sign out somewhere they might discuss something he doesn't know. Or afraid he might not have the chance to catch them up on the latest rumor from the Sheriff's office. Its sad when an Iv. is more concerned with Lies, gossip,rumors and running that gator than with doing his job.
I takes a special person to be an effective Investigator. One that doesn't mind being left alone, out of the "loop" at times. One that can LISTEN more than talk. I know these qualities because I was one for several years prior to a promotion. Thank you to those that do their job daily. And to the call chaser......look in the mirror.This is just what our investigators do in our area too. They run around looking for violations and then call in officers to make a case. Then, they want the officers to write the violation they never witnessed and never gives the officer an incident summary or witness statement. You only get burned once, call them out on it, and never get bothered again.

09-04-2008, 02:02 PM
Heck I'd be happy if our Inv. actually saw a violation and then called. Ours just CALLS! He calls and calls and calls and calls. If he would spend a tenth of his phone time looking for violations, all the local officers would be busy. When he is not on the phone gossiping, he might call to say" Haaay Maaan...( in a deep growly voice ) That woman down there fishin looks kinda squirrleeee..... ya might waaannna check her out".
Or, " you wanna DUI? I got one all over the road"....The woman will be 75 years old with a croaker in a five gallon bucket and the dui will be nothing at all to it. After ten or fifteen of these calls......you just want him to go back to squalkin on the phone! The times, they are a changin!