PDA

View Full Version : Neighborhood begs city leaders, police for help with crime

NewsHound
08-30-2008, 04:54 PM
PINELLAS PARK — Residents of the Davis Fields neighborhood came to the City Council on Thursday to plead for help for their beleaguered neighborhood.

Pinellas Park police, they say, know about the neighborhood's problems with drug dealers who have turned the area into a battleground. They want the police to take immediate action before a tragedy strikes.

Pinellas Park police Chief Dorene Thomas said she knows about the neighborhood's woes and plans to assign an officer to be a liaison with residents.

The neighborhood has been under siege for six to eight months, resident Ed Kosinski said. The latest incident was last Tuesday, when the violence began around 9 a.m. and culminated a couple of hours later with a "drive-by shooting."

Police responded Tuesday morning to a noise complaint and found at least four bullet holes at a home on 62nd Street N. Detectives are investigating whether the house was targeted or if the incident was a random shooting.

Kosinski's graphic description of life in a neighborhood surrounding one of Pinellas Park's busiest playgrounds came during Thursday's council meeting. Kosinski, a former City Council candidate, said police know about the problems, but seem to have done nothing to solve them other than telling residents to "be quiet, be quiet, it's under investigation."

But, "if it was under investigation, they should have known the retaliation drive-by shooting was taking place. They should have known that the house that got shot up was full of little baby children. They should have known at nine o'clock in the morning when this confrontation started in front of my house that it was escalating ... until about 11 o'clock when the shootings all started," Kosinski said.

He added, "Fortunately no babies were hurt. This is straight across from where all the little kids play T-ball. Had this shooting taken place at night with another 30 to 40 children there, God knows what would have happened."

Kosinski pleaded with City Manager Mike Gustafson, the council and Chief Thomas to rescue the neighborhood.

"I am asking our city manager to take his big, ugly stick (and) go have a talk with our chief of police (and) find out who dropped the ball on this," Kosinski said. "I certainly hope that when the city manager has his long, hard talk with our chief of police, that she'll take her big, ugly stick and go down to her undercover department and find out who dropped the ball and why this is continuing to go on for eight months in our neighborhood."

Kosinski, who was with several of his neighbors, asked the council to provide whatever Thomas and her officers need to clean up the area. He also asked them to contact the judges who release offenders after they are arrested and urge them to make sure the criminals stay in jail.

Council members made no comment. When Kosinski was finished, they moved on to the next speaker.

After the meeting, Thomas said she was going to assign an officer to look into the issues Kosinski had raised. Thomas said she and her officers will work with the neighborhood to make sure residents will be safe. It is not unusual, she said, to send in a kind of task force to help neighborhoods that are in trouble. Thomas conceded that the problems in the Davis Fields neighborhood had become even more urgent.

"This drive-by shooting kind of escalated it," Thomas said.

Kosinski drew a vivid picture of life in the area surrounding Davis Fields, where hundreds of children play T-ball, baseball and football. Davis Field Park and Davis Fields are located at 6050 Railroad Ave. The area is generally bounded by the 7600 block of 61st and 62nd streets N.

"Our neighbors are afraid," Kosinski said. "Several are arming themselves. They're walking with guns at night now. They're carrying baseball bats. We've had three houses — the doors smashed in in the middle of the daytime; one at night. We've had people attacked over there by the ballfields.

"People are afraid and one of two things is going to happen. They're going to be so afraid they're going to lock themselves up in houses and these drug dealers, these gang wannabes are going to take over the neighborhood. ... It's getting out of control. ... I don't want to see my neighbors put in this situation."

Source (http://www.tampabay.com/news/publicsafety/crime/article789951.ece)

08-30-2008, 08:27 PM
The Chief's "undercover department"?? Somebody may want want to inform/remind this clueless resident Kosinski of where they live. Pinellas Park. Not Tampa, Atalanta or even St. Petersburg. Small-town USA. We have no "undercover" department. No street crimes unit. No gang unit. No street narcotics unit. Nothing even close. Also ask Ed if he voted for amendment one....then, when he answers "of course I did" explain why city is drastically cutting back.....ooops.....deleting and not filling police department positions,I mean, so he can save that 200 bucks on this year's property tax.

Listen Konsiski, my advice to you. Move. It is not going to get any better and you are only at the very, very, very beginning of what is going to become a sad and dangerous place to live. Almost 10 years of screwing your cops out of raises and fair benefits (1/2% raise a year here and there???? give me a FN break!)....constantly asking the Chief and PD to "revisit" things like take home cars and vacation payouts. Taking away money for officers to get their education. You are going to wish that a couple of crappy duplexes with St. Pete Southsiders were your only problems. It won't take long until the next shooting has to hold for 10-15 minutes because we are bogged down and tied up on other calls.

Don't be surprised when some of your most experienced public servants high tail it for better paying places. There are agencies in this state that are in great financial shape and were not affected at all by the tax cuts. These places are literally begging for experienced officers and deputies with starting pay a lot higer than some of our 10 year officers. "Your" city manager has known this for years and just does not give a S. It is cheaper to keep hiring 19 year kids and training them every year than it is to keep a 10 or 20 year cop on the job.

Don't hate me and don't hate us. We are just as worried as you are Kosinski. Shoot the messenger all you want, but you are in for a far worse ride than you think. Trust me....your neighbors aren't the only ones "arming" themselves.....we too are upgunning ourselves for the onslought of crime that had already begun. Just read the papers.

Good luck with your big Davis Field dilemma. We sympathaise with you. We have been putting up with crap for years!

08-31-2008, 04:06 AM
Am I the only one who seems to have missed the big Davis Field crime wave?

I applaud the last poster who posted many valid points, however don't fan the flames that aren't there.

This city is not on the brink of some huge crime spree because the council failed to fund 3 police positions. Sounding a bit like the Sheriff if you ask me..."Carnage in the streets," I don't think so. Us a little busier, yes.

Keep perspective people...

08-31-2008, 11:58 AM
The Chief's "undercover department"?? Somebody may want want to inform/remind this clueless resident Kosinski of where they live. Pinellas Park. Not Tampa, Atalanta or even St. Petersburg. Small-town USA. We have no "undercover" department. No street crimes unit. No gang unit. No street narcotics unit. Nothing even close. Also ask Ed if he voted for amendment one....then, when he answers "of course I did" explain why city is drastically cutting back.....ooops.....deleting and not filling police department positions,I mean, so he can save that 200 bucks on this year's property tax.

Listen Konsiski, my advice to you. Move. It is not going to get any better and you are only at the very, very, very beginning of what is going to become a sad and dangerous place to live. Almost 10 years of screwing your cops out of raises and fair benefits (1/2% raise a year here and there???? give me a FN break!)....constantly asking the Chief and PD to "revisit" things like take home cars and vacation payouts. Taking away money for officers to get their education. You are going to wish that a couple of crappy duplexes with St. Pete Southsiders were your only problems. It won't take long until the next shooting has to hold for 10-15 minutes because we are bogged down and tied up on other calls.

Don't be surprised when some of your most experienced public servants high tail it for better paying places. There are agencies in this state that are in great financial shape and were not affected at all by the tax cuts. These places are literally begging for experienced officers and deputies with starting pay a lot higer than some of our 10 year officers. "Your" city manager has known this for years and just does not give a S. It is cheaper to keep hiring 19 year kids and training them every year than it is to keep a 10 or 20 year cop on the job.

Don't hate me and don't hate us. We are just as worried as you are Kosinski. Shoot the messenger all you want, but you are in for a far worse ride than you think. Trust me....your neighbors aren't the only ones "arming" themselves.....we too are upgunning ourselves for the onslought of crime that had already begun. Just read the papers.

Good luck with your big Davis Field dilemma. We sympathaise with you. We have been putting up with crap for years!excellent ,you couldn't have said it any better,spot on

09-01-2008, 03:26 AM
I agree, this city is going to hell in a handbasket, but we have a homeless outreach team to tame Davis Field right?. The gangs, drugs, shootings, and bad neighborhoods are taking over our city. If we want to believe this or not, it is happening and we do not have the police to handle the issues. We have no way to watch it, track it, curb it, stop it, or deter it and the public is becoming aware. Crimes are happening thoughout the city: houses and cars are being burglarized, shots are being fired, people are being stabbed and shot, gangs are becomeing more aggressive. We do not have a Street crimes unit, we do not have a TAC unit. The specialized units we do have, do NOT address the issues we have in our city. Our VICE unit drags St. Pete dealers into of area to make a deal, or the traffic unit, pulls over drivers coming off I 275 to get their traffic tickets. We have a full blown war going on in our city and our dept turns it's head. When this blows up and it makes it in the press, I will flip when the Chief says I didn't know it was this bad! No raises for you!!

09-01-2008, 05:08 AM
I agree, this city is going to hell in a handbasket, but we have a homeless outreach team to tame Davis Field right?. The gangs, drugs, shootings, and bad neighborhoods are taking over our city. If we want to believe this or not, it is happening and we do not have the police to handle the issues. We have no way to watch it, track it, curb it, stop it, or deter it and the public is becoming aware. Crimes are happening thoughout the city: houses and cars are being burglarized, shots are being fired, people are being stabbed and shot, gangs are becomeing more aggressive. We do not have a Street crimes unit, we do not have a TAC unit. The specialized units we do have, do NOT address the issues we have in our city. Our VICE unit drags St. Pete dealers into of area to make a deal, or the traffic unit, pulls over drivers coming off I 275 to get their traffic tickets. We have a full blown war going on in our city and our dept turns it's head. When this blows up and it makes it in the press, I will flip when the Chief says I didn't know it was this bad! No raises for you!!

A war in our city? You apparently haven't been to war and don't get out much.

Stop painting a picture that doesn't exist. You apparently subscribe to the Coats method of getting your way. Apparently you don't watch the news, it didn't work for him and it won't work for you.

One shooting in a neighborhood does not make a war. It makes an isolated incident. I challenge you to show me the major crime way in the Davis Field area.

I will be awaiting your proof but bring your facts. Mr. Kazinski did not, he brought fear.

09-01-2008, 11:43 PM
We have nothing to target a spefic problem, oh wait we have the elite Spec Ops.

09-07-2008, 10:35 PM
Violent crime is up...way up this year. Fact

The answer to all of this I believe is more Corporals. Not just Corporals, all kinds of crazy ranks. Now hear me out, if we can't get raises the old fashioned way: mutual respect and performance appreciation, then this could be a back door way for us. Just promote everyone so they get higher pay! we'll have Sub-Commanders, Fleet Admirals, Grand Masters, Capos, Airmen, Fifth Degree Traffic Investigators, Deputy Under Secretary to the Assistant of the Assistant Chief and Vice Program Director of Crossing Guards.

And hey since we keep getting terrorized continually about the cars, promoting everyone will eliminate all that because in this city of so, so, so, so many supervisors/department heads, each gets a vehicle allowance!

Seriously though, the only thing that matters is the overtime board. I mean come on, you gotta spend two hours a day checking that thing out. Live within my means....ha! I'm just an "hourly paid employee", so I have told and so do I see by example.

I don't live here, so give me my check(s) (The PD's and from UPS/Theaters/Construction), and I'll give you hours of memo writing, fruitless calls, ticket writing, area checks in crime free areas, never going X18 for anything, reading the endless and daily revisions to SOP's and policy that I'm liable for, organizing and making room for the several thousand individual paper forms I now carry, covering the road so that all the supervisors can take a break from reading reports and memos and get some chow; documenting in tedious redundant reports "for tracking purposes" prisoner transports, warrants, VOPs, road kill sightings, and all tan colored houses in the city; and turning in all manner of administrative forms that are my responsibilty.

Frankly, I'll do jumping jacks upside down for ten hours if that's what you want to pay me for, I have done worse for money. I don't mind that there is no overall "plan" to fight crime, no way to measure progress, no way to hold "sergeants for life" accountable for the successes and failures of those they supervise. It doesn't bother me that the root causes of all this crime are completely ignored, that people can do whatever they want in this city...as long as no one complains right? I have no stake in this other than my cabbage harvest every two weeks.

09-08-2008, 07:09 AM
Wow, where to begin with that rant.

First, put the beer down, holy cow man, relax.

Second, please share with us your facts about where exactly violent crime is up and by how much, I am interested in your wisdom.

As for the rest, well how bout we just do this, let's just shoot for pay for performance instead of merit pay. I am game if you are. You know, that is where you pay is based on your performance on your eval. I suspect if we went to that plan, you would have something to cry about. Then you can cry on the shoulder of all your friends, well, you can at least cry.

:roll:

09-08-2008, 01:49 PM
There are several sources to look this up:

1. You can ask the Records Sgt.

2. FDLE Website

3. County Criminal Justice Coordination Dept. tracks crime in all the county.

4. Or you can ask someone at PCSO since they actually keep track of the cases in our city.

But you are right there is no real way to determine where the crime is so that you can plan your crime control strategy.

I think you misunderstood my earlier post. I am happy here and think it is awesome that everything is reactive and random. I write tickets and have never gotten below an exceeds. I don't complain. I just punch in, roll arond randomly until they send me somewhere. Once there, I do what it takes to make the complainant stop talking and due my best to make them "feel" like something will be done. I then jump in the car and roll on. I don't think about them again unless I go to court.

After ten hours of that I go home where my life really begins. I am happy and I don't care. Who cares if crime is up? Just let me get a look at that OT board!