PDA

View Full Version : Take Homes

08-28-2008, 08:56 PM
Is anybody else tired of hearing about take homes? Since the last contract the economy has taken a dump so the city wants to get money from us mid-contract to help offset the costs. The city could easily wait until next year when contract negotiations begin. My question is that if the economy tomorrow began to take off again or the city found a whole bunch of money would the city ask to reopen the contract to give us bigger salaries or better benefits? I think it is safe to say NO. Let the city take the take homes away so there is no more threats to take them away, no more worrying about finding a car to take home during an oil change, and so we can stand OUT as the only agency without take home cars.

08-28-2008, 09:05 PM
Well said.

08-29-2008, 03:24 PM
I am shocked and awed that none of the bean counters have not thought of this one. So they are going to take away your take home vehicles, and not give you any form of compensation for it right? Okay, so they do that one, but what if they took that nice fleet of trolleys and trams and started a service where they picked every officer up from his/her home. Gas wise it still has to be cheapier right? Then the $700,000 cash cow would still get some use. Or why don't we armor them up and have SWAT TROLLIES! The only city without take home cars and the only city WITH an SWAT TROLLY! They ought to get the people up front shaking in their ice creams!

08-30-2008, 03:23 AM
I am shocked and awed that none of the bean counters have not thought of this one. So they are going to take away your take home vehicles, and not give you any form of compensation for it right? Okay, so they do that one, but what if they took that nice fleet of trolleys and trams and started a service where they picked every officer up from his/her home. Gas wise it still has to be cheapier right? Then the $700,000 cash cow would still get some use. Or why don't we armor them up and have SWAT TROLLIES! The only city without take home cars and the only city WITH an SWAT TROLLY! They ought to get the people up front shaking in their ice creams!

This so made my day

08-30-2008, 07:12 AM

This so made my day

Funny how we have to end up paying for just about everything, guns, leather, all equipment. now their gas to fill their cars to protect their city? I say take it back. F^&%$K your cars and your gas !!
You want police service Mayor and council I suggest you pay for it!!!
Just some advice to the 5 year and under crew.. GET OUT NOW while you can... this city has and always will be the lowiest pay and the highiest cost to officers to work here. Its too late for some of us and yes I know I should have left myself. But there are other cities like Plantation. Where was the $$$ when this city was collecting during the economic boom with realestate.. now thats theres a housing slump theyre crying poor.. Too F...ing bad!!! pay up BIIACH!!!

08-30-2008, 03:23 PM
I am probably opening a Pandoras Box by posting on here and promised myself I wouldnt, but you all know me, Im glutton for punishment and I believe in transparancy when it comes to YOUR money.
I am the first to agree that we should get leather, guns, more pay, better retirement benefits, etc. When the times were good, the city still was extremely stingy with the purse strings while they built horse arenas, parks, golf courses, etc.
Is it a little unorthodox that we are negotiating this now, with 1 year to go in a contract....yes and no. Can they take the cars back if they wanted to...Yes they can....but we all know what a benefit the take home program is to every one of us. There are several reasons to negotiate this now to include, prevention of losing the vehicles, getting ALL of our brothers/sisters a vehicle, good faith and placing it into the contract where it should of been the whole time.....so we dont lose the BENEFIT.
EXAMPLE...someone like me drives 4.4 miles to and from work each day or 8.8 miles. Using a 235 day work year, that would = 2068 miles. Using a car that gets 20MPG it would cost me $387.75 just to get to/from work not including details, court, training, etc. With the proposed plan (which has not been agreed upon by both sides), it would cost me $260.00/year to the city or $10 per pay period. Actually, almost 80% of the dept will only be paying $10-20 per pay period.
As always, your Labor Board is here for you and as of this writing, only 2-3 members have given us input which has been very helpful. If you have any input, questions, comments, concerns...PLEASE contact me or anyone on the Labor Board.
And PLEASE....dont kill the messenger....

08-31-2008, 01:57 PM
I agree that it is a definite benefit to have the cars and definately cheaper than taking our own. But we pay for EVERYTHING. The department doesn't even issue road patrol assault rifles at which we had to by our own. The rifles are not overkill it is a necesity that hopefully we will not need to use but considering that we have a large day population due to malls, stores, hospitals, and other businesses we definately could be a target whether it be terrorism or just some wacko. Why did most of us buy our own? To help us do the job we were hired for. A $1000.00 is a lot of money to me. Imagine if an incident happened at the Broward Mall with subjects heavily armored. What if we did not purchase these weapons? I would be pretty upset if my family, friends or anyone got hurt and found out the city does not prepare there officers AGAIN with equipment. The likely scenario would be to call in BSO or any other properly prepared department. The citizens need to know that we are a very capable department but just lack the backing by the city.
Now getting back to the take homes. I think the city could easily not charge or at least wait to next year. Many other departments who provide items like mentioned above still do not charge and if they do most of them allow for personal use at which we can not. If we can invest a $1000.00 of our own money for weapons to protect a city that most of us don't live in because housing is to expensive and the schools are terrible, the city should invest a little more in us. If they can't afford us maybe other options should be looked into.

09-01-2008, 07:26 AM
I agree that it is a definite benefit to have the cars and definately cheaper than taking our own. But we pay for EVERYTHING. The department doesn't even issue road patrol assault rifles at which we had to by our own. The rifles are not overkill it is a necesity that hopefully we will not need to use but considering that we have a large day population due to malls, stores, hospitals, and other businesses we definately could be a target whether it be terrorism or just some wacko. Why did most of us buy our own? To help us do the job we were hired for. A $1000.00 is a lot of money to me. Imagine if an incident happened at the Broward Mall with subjects heavily armored. What if we did not purchase these weapons? I would be pretty upset if my family, friends or anyone got hurt and found out the city does not prepare there officers AGAIN with equipment. The likely scenario would be to call in BSO or any other properly prepared department. The citizens need to know that we are a very capable department but just lack the backing by the city.
Now getting back to the take homes. I think the city could easily not charge or at least wait to next year. Many other departments who provide items like mentioned above still do not charge and if they do most of them allow for personal use at which we can not. If we can invest a $1000.00 of our own money for weapons to protect a city that most of us don't live in because housing is to expensive and the schools are terrible, the city should invest a little more in us. If they can't afford us maybe other options should be looked into.

Good point, didnt even think of that angle. The houses in Plantation are so over priced and the public schools are horrible. Just the other day I happen to meet a new resident who moved in from up north. He was going to send his children to one of our high schools. I didnt want to burst his bubble of how wonderful it he thought it was here. I figured that he could do that on his own. What a crock that this city fools its residents that we're prepared. Granted i think the rifles are about time, but what a shame that "they" charge their police for the very tools they require us to use to secure their citizens and property. Now, "we" have to pay their gas too? for their cars? Granted I do like the take home, but I have two cars and never have i relied on this city for that hmmm how do i say "bonus"? Funny how teachers, cops, firefighters and other first responder jobs seem very important to the public at large. However it doesnt reflect in the pay or benifits to their families who also sacrifice their loved ones to protect the good people of Plantation. Oh got that tax break the other day from the trickle down budget cuts that the city is still having a knee jerk reaction to. Yeah Ill be spending my $200.00 annual savings. woohoo!! maybe it will help offset the cost Im going to pay to work in this city. Yeah Im lucky to have a job, that will be posted next, yeah the times are tough right now, but can you really put a price on protecting lives? Its unbelievable how the city leaders sleep easily at night knowing what should be done, is not getting done. and the one thing they are not doing is protecting their OWN!!!
Maybe the next person who wants to live in Tree City USA will get the real facts of crime here and not go by what they city in the police blotter. What a joke....

09-01-2008, 04:12 PM
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/ ... 7489.story (http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/broward/sfl-flpolice0831cwaug31,0,4347489.story)

09-03-2008, 09:51 AM
Maybe the next person who wants to live in Tree City USA will get the real facts of crime here and not go by what they city in the police blotter. What a joke....

Even Helen Keller could tell you that Plantation is the new Lauderhill. Only difference is their city isn't rail-roading them into paying for cars (you know the ones they use off duty, take to palm beach with their city issued gun racks and rifles. You may recognize them...they're black and white)

09-03-2008, 09:57 AM
Why don't we cut the gas bill in half by riding double cars??? Sounds like a good way to reduce the bill while we're sending two cops to every call anyway...

09-03-2008, 07:58 PM
I love listening to the extra watches read in briefing at the counsel members homes knowing that the zone unit has over 130k miles on his car and will need a 70 at some point in the shift just to get back to the PD. Anyone with a shread of common sense would try to avoid bringing attention to such a short coming, rather than bringing up a topic that makes our city look pathetic.
How would we make the oblivious residents of the greener city aware of the condition of there first responders. Like was metioned earlier, residents move here under a totally false impression of protection from a first class PD ? How would these people paying in the millions for these homes feel knowing the officer responding to save their a$$ has more than double the accrediation allowable mileage on their unit ? Paying for the gas in that unit ? Making payments on the equipment he/she will use to protect that family ?
Its sad to say but history shows repeatedly that cities won't take their police departments seriously until a tradgedy takes place like the North Hollywood incident in California that brings the PD's short comings into public light.
Unfortunately, we are a time bomb waiting for that incident, pray our brothers and sisters stay safe.

09-05-2008, 01:23 PM
I would like to just ask, how long does MC half to put up with a police car over 130K miles? why do newer officers with low milage get new ones? Does someone have a good explanation for this? I know MC and no he's not writing this. MC doesnt say much, he just sucks it up and moves on, thats his style. He is a tell it like it is guy, not afraid to tell a tyranical Sgt to go F- himself!!! when the fecal matter hits the fan, thats the officer I want backing me up. He does grump and complain, but he keeps it to himself and a small circle of people.
I cant think of anyone who deserves a newer car, which by the way seems very dangerous that these police cars are used at high speeds. Hmm? seems that cars over 100K would be very dangerous to use in thise situations. this city has been very lucky no one has been seriously hurt or DIED!!! as a result from the use of a police car being OVER USED and long dead after its time. They are so concerned over liability, funny they dont seem to think that this situation warrants that.
anyways enough of my ranting. Hey "car nazi" can you give this man a new car and stop gambling with our lives by using police cars with high milage?

09-13-2008, 12:10 AM

Good point, didnt even think of that angle. The houses in Plantation are so over priced and the public schools are horrible. Just the other day I happen to meet a new resident who moved in from up north. He was going to send his children to one of our high schools. I didnt want to burst his bubble of how wonderful it he thought it was here. I figured that he could do that on his own. What a crock that this city fools its residents that we're prepared. Granted i think the rifles are about time, but what a shame that "they" charge their police for the very tools they require us to use to secure their citizens and property. Now, "we" have to pay their gas too? for their cars? Granted I do like the take home, but I have two cars and never have i relied on this city for that hmmm how do i say "bonus"? Funny how teachers, cops, firefighters and other first responder jobs seem very important to the public at large. However it doesnt reflect in the pay or benifits to their families who also sacrifice their loved ones to protect the good people of Plantation. Oh got that tax break the other day from the trickle down budget cuts that the city is still having a knee jerk reaction to. Yeah Ill be spending my $200.00 annual savings. woohoo!! maybe it will help offset the cost Im going to pay to work in this city. Yeah Im lucky to have a job, that will be posted next, yeah the times are tough right now, but can you really put a price on protecting lives? Its unbelievable how the city leaders sleep easily at night knowing what should be done, is not getting done. and the one thing they are not doing is protecting their OWN!!!

Thats quite ok with me, Ill take that POOL car any day!!! It will just bite them in the end..10-06 pd loading car, 10-06 pd waiting for pool car to come in from the other shift, 10-06 pd downing the pool car..... The double bars seem to think that threats of getting a pool car when we opt out for PAYING for gas scares us...It doesnt, its just a tool. To hell with your gas. Question to the barganing team? Where does this stop? When do we get a pair as a union and "just say no"? No to no more paying for anything here as they seem fit as a privilage to work in this dump. Ok so did we or did we not reject thier latiest offer. 10$ for every 6 miles.. what a joke.. If this gets approved people you will be paying for gas to work here FOREVER, just like the 12 hour shifts.. FOREVER!!!!

09-13-2008, 04:55 AM
Maybe you should have gone to the meeting. take a pool car and stop your *****ing.

09-13-2008, 09:06 PM
Maybe you should have gone to the meeting. take a pool car and stop your *****ing.

good answer, are you even a member? coward, I guess youre going to surrender to their whims right? I was here when all we had was musical cars, and you know what I dont have a problem taking one. One big fat NO vote for me... I hope they take them all alway! and then will see you crying.. lard A$$

09-14-2008, 07:12 AM
Reference the 10 year old fleet. I'm sure the people in charge of the cars, with all of their training and knowledge of fleet management wouldn't do anything that might expose the city to liability, right? It is very important that an SRO gets her 44000 mile car replaced! Good thing rookies got new cars so that they can smash em up just like the batch that got the 400 units when they were new!
Good thing we got our AR-15's in response to the Miami Dade shootout! Oh yeah, they'll be in your trunk secured in a zippered case. I'm sure mister cop-killer will hold on while you bail out run to the back and make your weapon ready.
I'm glad I have the priveledge of being part of such a progressive, well managed department. I can hold my head up high when I see what has become the standard for other departments (that by the way have no where near our tax base).
Let's volunteer to give the city more money as "good faith"! They have always dealt with us fairly and equitably, I'm sure our magnanimus gesture will be returned in kind a year from now. Yes other departments pay for take-homes, but they don't pay for all of their own equipment. We get to buy our own stuff, but better yet, we can't but what we feel is the best product just whatever company the Chief has stock in.

09-14-2008, 08:01 AM
I would like to just ask, how long does MC half to put up with a police car over 130K miles? why do newer officers with low milage get new ones? Does someone have a good explanation for this? I know MC and no he's not writing this. MC doesnt say much, he just sucks it up and moves on, thats his style. He is a tell it like it is guy, not afraid to tell a tyranical Sgt to go F- himself!!! when the fecal matter hits the fan, thats the officer I want backing me up. He does grump and complain, but he keeps it to himself and a small circle of people.
I cant think of anyone who deserves a newer car, which by the way seems very dangerous that these police cars are used at high speeds. Hmm? seems that cars over 100K would be very dangerous to use in thise situations. this city has been very lucky no one has been seriously hurt or DIED!!! as a result from the use of a police car being OVER USED and long dead after its time. They are so concerned over liability, funny they dont seem to think that this situation warrants that.
anyways enough of my ranting. Hey "car nazi" can you give this man a new car and stop gambling with our lives by using police cars with high milage?

Don't worry about MC. He made the mistake of just coming to work everyday and trying to do his job. He went out of his way to stay out of dept politics. He tried to treat his co-workers and supervisors fairly. He didn't run marathons with KK, the chief and the other illuminati. He didn't go to the police olympics or play softball. He didn't go drinking at the Falcon. He was always glad to help out anyone or back them up. He always kept his car spotless (the car that is in such good shape that it has been in the shop for two weeks) Well, he has seen the error of his ways.

09-14-2008, 08:39 AM
Can we just admit that morale is at an all time low in this Dept? Yeah its nice when they come in briefing and blow sunshine up are a$$es with awards and pins. Rah rah you guys are making a difference!!! Blo me! Now the city is feeling the crime trends shoot through the roof and then try to patch it up by beefing Street Crimes and the bike unit. Whooppie!!. Flash a littel ot in our faces and you see officers standing in line like homeless soup kithchen street bums..
Nickle and diming us for gas, paid rifles out of our paychecks, threats from Capt to accept the gas payment or get a pool car. Seems the elitiest here are hard at work working on these issues. The poor JM has to be the buffer and ease tensions. Sorry JM I know your heart is in it, but they dont care. I say the faster BSO gets in here and takes over the better. Real dept, real supervisors, real dispatchers who are properly trained in sudden crisis situations.(did you get that or was there too much background?)
Thats right this is a negative post, just want John Q citizen out there to see what kind of quality Dept they have. And then other posters will come in trying to patch up this post with his rhetoric up lifting "change" speech and pay no attention to this post.
The same who blurt out you should be thankful you have a job, thankful for our health ins LOL!!! thankful you can breath air!! Joke! go sell hope somewhere else.

09-14-2008, 03:45 PM
Approximately 26 people attended the meeting along with Councilman Petrocelli. Along with the few emails we received, the lodge, by a straw hand vote, voted to unanimously reject the citys offer. The only offer that we are offering is our first proposal which we will post on the FOP Board. We have a Monday/100pm meeting scheduled with Administration.
As far as paying for our equipment, this is something we can definitely bring up during our next contract negotiations.
On a side note, as a result of the take home situation, it was voted to enact Article 37/Establishment of a Safety Committee. The members are Brothers Rid****, Boermeester and M. DeRosa. Ig you have any suggestions regarding safety, equipment and procedures, let them know.
Thanks for your patience.

09-14-2008, 08:05 PM
This city will NEVER go to BSO. They are more interested in making the city seem like everything is ok. God forbid they have a department come in that can offer the city real units. I am in no way putting down our officers but the city would rather us act like armed secretarys then going proactive with units like: Street Crimes, Robbery Unit, LEACH, Fraud Unit, Warrants Division, Bike Unit, Drug Unit, Community Policing Unit, Mounted Unit, and other tasks forces. Peolpe who are anti-BSO need to understand that all the crime trends are county wide. Having one agency for the county helps to prevent further problems due to shared information. We can't even share information well between the different shifts let alone other agencies.
With the comment about how MC's car has been down for two weeks will the city guarantee a pool car. My car was down for 4 days and no pool cars were available. If not will they give me a credit for the week.

09-14-2008, 08:22 PM
Approximately 26 people attended the meeting along with Councilman Petrocelli. Along with the few emails we received, the lodge, by a straw hand vote, voted to unanimously reject the citys offer. The only offer that we are offering is our first proposal which we will post on the FOP Board. We have a Monday/100pm meeting scheduled with Administration.
As far as paying for our equipment, this is something we can definitely bring up during our next contract negotiations.
On a side note, as a result of the take home situation, it was voted to enact Article 37/Establishment of a Safety Committee. The members are Brothers Rid****, Boermeester and M. DeRosa. Ig you have any suggestions regarding safety, equipment and procedures, let them know.

This may sound picky, but after being here so long its a knee jerk reaction similar to what the city does. But if members take a long stay of A/L or sick leave, is that member still required to have $$ garnished from his pay for city gas? Will they start a gas credit on our paychecks like A/L or sickleave? Maybe this was covered in the meeting, I was just curious if all areas of this issued were covered. Thanks!

09-16-2008, 12:24 AM

WORDS JUST WORDS!!! SPEECHES!!!! like theres something to actually discover. I think we all know what the safety concerns are, DO would be a concept instead of TALK!!!!

10-22-2008, 11:41 PM
I can't believe it. You guys/gals are complaining about your cars with 100,000 miles on it and being 10 years old when BSO is giving their deputies Dodge hemi Chargers. You have some nerve!

10-22-2008, 11:51 PM
I can't believe it. You guys/gals are complaining about your cars with 100,000 miles on it and being 10 years old when BSO is giving their deputies Dodge hemi Chargers. You have some nerve!

no, SB were not going to BSO, come back buddy come back :evil:

10-23-2008, 07:20 PM

Sorry SB didnt author the above quote, but he loves BSO hehehehehehe :devil:

10-24-2008, 11:06 AM
JOE MERC., I LOVE YA, BUT WE ALREADY OPENED UP OUR PANDORA'S BOX WITH THIS TAKE HOME CAR ISSUE. WHERE WOULD THE CITY PUT ALL OF OUR TAKE-HOME VEHICLES IF WE DID NOT AGREE TO AMEND OUR POLICY ON BEHALF OF THE PALM BEACH BROTHERS & SISTERS? MOST OF THEM VOLUNTARILY GAVE UP THEIR TAKE-HOME PRIVILEGE WHEN THEY OPTED TO MOVE OUT OF THE COUNTY.

AS TO GOOD FAITH; THERE IS NO SUCH THING WHEN DEALING WITH THE CITY OR ANY OTHER GOVERNMENT ENTITY. REMEMBER IT IS ALL BUSINESS AND ALWAYS HAS BEEN. THE REASON WE LOOSE BENEFITS IS BECAUSE WE DO NOT STICK TOGETHER AS A STRONG UNION AND ALWAYS GIVE INTO THE CITY'S PRESSURE TACTICS.

IF WE NEED TO VISIT THIS ISSUE COME CONTRACT TIME THEN FINE, BUT LET'S SEE WHAT TYPE OF GOOD FAITH THE CITY WILL SHOW US THEN. TIME WILL TELL AS IT ALWAYS HAS.

10-24-2008, 09:51 PM
Lets be positive:

1: The mayor tried to pull a fast one reaching all the way back to a 1980's tax publication. Google "fringe tax benefit" and you'll see it almost word for word. This was her continued attempt at gaining revenue without raising taxes, at least on people who vote.
2: I voted no. But I see the reason why people voted yes. Perhaps I am overly negative, but trusting this city or any city is not in the cards for me. Now that they want to amend the take-home car program we need to make sure for a re-vote on the new plan.
3: believe it or not, The city council backed us on this one! If we were serious about being coming a respected body then we need to get out and start making an impact come election time. We have been heading down a good road with the PAC guys and need to really step it up. Its politics people!

11-04-2008, 05:34 PM

good answer, are you even a member? coward, I guess youre going to surrender to their whims right? I was here when all we had was musical cars, and you know what I dont have a problem taking one. One big fat NO vote for me... I hope they take them all alway! and then will see you crying.. lard A$$

I think that musical cars are fine if they are done right. I mean, everyone likes a little music, but you don't want them to look like parade floats. So, yes, on musical cars, but if they get a too garrish, then no. When choosing a musical car, think about this: Would Chance Ransom drive around in it? If the answer is yes, you have your car.

11-06-2008, 09:59 PM

I think that musical cars are fine if they are done right. I mean, everyone likes a little music, but you don't want them to look like parade floats. So, yes, on musical cars, but if they get a too garrish, then no. When choosing a musical car, think about this: Would Chance Ransom drive around in it? If the answer is yes, you have your car.

JUST CURIOUS ARE YOU REFERING TO MUMUH??????? YOU NO HOW I LIVE ....... GOT SOMETHING TO SAY ... SAY IT TO THE FACE.

11-07-2008, 08:16 PM

JUST CURIOUS ARE YOU REFERING TO MUMUH??????? YOU NO HOW I LIVE ....... GOT SOMETHING TO SAY ... SAY IT TO THE FACE.

Wow, Monkeys do talk!

11-08-2008, 04:50 PM
so does your trashy wife!!!!!!!!!!!!

11-08-2008, 04:52 PM
WOWWWWWWW you guys/galls need to just hug!!!!!!! or take it to the screeeetsss???

11-08-2008, 05:54 PM
[[/quote]

I think that musical cars are fine if they are done right. I mean, everyone likes a little music, but you don't want them to look like parade floats. So, yes, on musical cars, but if they get a too garrish, then no. When choosing a musical car, think about this: Would Chance Ransom drive around in it? If the answer is yes, you have your car.[/quote]

JUST CURIOUS ARE YOU REFERING TO MUMUH??????? YOU NO HOW I LIVE ....... GOT SOMETHING TO SAY ... SAY IT TO THE FACE.[/quote]

Wow, Monkeys do talk![/quote]

No f---ing way! Musical cars and talking monkeys!? Chance Ransom has got to see this!

11-10-2008, 08:24 AM
[

I think that musical cars are fine if they are done right. I mean, everyone likes a little music, but you don't want them to look like parade floats. So, yes, on musical cars, but if they get a too garrish, then no. When choosing a musical car, think about this: Would Chance Ransom drive around in it? If the answer is yes, you have your car.[/quote]

JUST CURIOUS ARE YOU REFERING TO MUMUH??????? YOU NO HOW I LIVE ....... GOT SOMETHING TO SAY ... SAY IT TO THE FACE.[/quote]

Wow, Monkeys do talk![/quote]

No f---ing way! Musical cars and talking monkeys!? Chance Ransom has got to see this![/quote]

He will, he'll see their knuckles dragging on the ground!!!! gotta love the primate talk here lol!!!