PDA

View Full Version : Dispatch Center Blues

08-17-2008, 03:13 PM
I would like to know why certain dispatchers can't just play nice and act like a civilized person. It seems to me when we work with each other day in and day out, we could all try to get along instead of acting like babies !
Sometimes officers are impatient with dispatchers, not knowing we have 2 talkgroups to answer along with the millions of phone calls we have to endure. I just want to say, maybe someone should let them know how it is in dispatch instead of getting aggravated with the officers and them with us. And maybe someone should let them they are our priority (atleast for those of us REAL dispatchers).
Alot of dispatchers are disgusted about low pay and even more responsiblities and maybe that is part of the problem. Right now we have to deal with favortism in the center, you know the ones, the ones that do no wrong and get away with being late daily, and not knowing how to do their job correctly because of poor training.
Anxious to hear others opinions ...............

08-17-2008, 06:33 PM
you must work in the tampa center.

rickjames
08-17-2008, 07:08 PM
I admire the way you all work in the comm centers and agree that you need raises also. You will just have to join the long line there!

08-18-2008, 12:06 AM
Why not do away with dispatch positions and contract them out to some company like people first.

Dispatchers can reapply for their old job but must relocate to INDIA.

08-18-2008, 12:26 AM
Thought the big picture was FHP Dispatch was going to take over FWC Dispatch? At least you would get pay raises working for FHP?

08-18-2008, 03:10 AM
I remember the day when officers used to have to pull dispatch duty. That gave us a healthy respect for how difficult the job is. Sounds like we need to bring that back to teach the new generation.

08-18-2008, 12:58 PM
I'am so tired of hearing our dispatchers complain. We have two talk groups and the phones, there are still only about five or six leos working in those areas, get over it. The SO,s and PD's dispatch for 30 to 40 officers out at one time and are handling priorty calls. Our dispatch has trouble running tags and 29's. I think they all should have to come and ride with us and see what we do and how when they take forever to get us our info what a danger it can be. I have been in the Dispatch center for a shift, its not that hard if you have basic office skills, it something that I would not WANT to do, but it is something that if it was my job I could EASILY do.

08-18-2008, 01:45 PM
i think the dispatcher that posted this should have never started this thread. they should be grateful to to have a job and be concerned about their own personal work habits and work ethic. there are personalities in any job and you just need to deal with it. to the officer that responded; you need to take a good look in the mirror and decide if your comments are really justified and whether you should have lumped all the dispatchers together in one pile. do you always use proper radio protocol? do you ALWAYS have delays in getting your information? do you always listen to your radio and not "walk on" other officers with your radio transmissions? the fact is, you are team members and should respect each other and work together. nuff said.

Gamer
08-18-2008, 03:40 PM
I have to agree with noroomtotalk, each dispatcher needs to look to themselves and not worry about what other people are doing. There are many personalities in a small confined space with alot of room for improvement, but we still need to work as a team. As for the officers reply about duty officers should stop complaining, the pd and so dispatchers don't have to answer the phones, use the teletype (officers have them in their car) take every incident or call an officer 50 million times on the radio just to do a status check. It would help if you kept your radios turned up so you could answer us when we do call you. There are frustrations on both sides of the glass but I thibk we're all doing the best we can. Think of this, 8, 10 or 12 hours out in the sunshine and fresh air or 8,10 or 12 hours in a small confined windowless room. You need to also remember you're not the only officer that talks to dispatch. Dispatchers main concern is officer safety however, sitituations occur to where delays are inevitable.

08-18-2008, 04:08 PM
If you dont think that so and pd dispatchers answer the phone and do the teletype then you are a crazy. What do you think they do. Do you really believe that FWC is the only agencey that has the public call in?

08-18-2008, 04:13 PM
By the way if you are ready to step out of your windowless air condition room and strap on 20+ pounds of gear and come in to the mid summer heat of south Florida on a boat with little or no shade get with someone in your are for a ride along. Sunshine and fresh air, not!!

08-18-2008, 04:24 PM
guest 23456. you just think you know what you are talking about. SO has call takers and teletype personnel. if you are that unhappy take a 10-7.

08-18-2008, 04:47 PM
I have to put in my input on this topic. To the original post it was uncalled for no one is perfect we all have room for improvement. The key is to be a team player and to post that obviously that person is not one. We ourselves determine our happiness in the work place. Others sit and complain and complain and complain and are never happy. About the officer making the comments about dispatchers well I tend to disagree with you a little. I have went to sit with various PD and SO dispatchers and they have it way easier and yes I have been sitting there when they have a chase going on. A state dispatcher is a true multi-tasker. Again NO ONE IS PERFECT!!! Also by the way I been on the other end of the radio I worked the road and loved but unlike other I had respect for the dispatcher although the radio might be silent those phones are always going off. Last but not least feel lucky we all have jobs and health insurance. The money sucks but we have stable jobs. A lot of people are unemployed right now.

08-18-2008, 09:05 PM
I didn't post that so everyone could go nuts. I am just saying not all dispatchers in my center know what the heck they are doing and they just dont care... They want to do their school work,send text messages or just goof off. I am not perfect but I atleast give a crap and make sure my work is done before doing something else. I put the officers first and don't act all mad because they ask me to do something. Hello that is my job. And I really don't think I am slamming anyone I have not said names but if any of those that are quilty read this than sorry but it is the truth. These are the same dispatchers that act like snots and get away with everything. It is a ridiculous situation and if I posted 1/2 of what goes on and what gets covered up, no one would believe that a state dispatch center is allowed to get away with and pull half the crap that goes on.

08-18-2008, 09:20 PM
I have volunteered in dispatch a couple of times. It was an eye opener to say the least. Remember guys and gals, its their job to support us out in the field. Also remember that they are our only lifeline to whatever back-up may be available. Treat them, your dispatchers, with respect as you would another officer. They are hard working people who's primary duty is to send help when your butt needs it. Positive posts and negative ones. No matter, this needed to be written.

08-19-2008, 11:22 PM
fwcdispatcher. sounds like you are nothing more than a whiner and a complainer and may even be more of a problem than the staff you are complaining about. again, this is not a thread you should have even started, much less tried to expound upon. you, also, should look in the mirror and take inventory. if you are unhappy with a co-worker then i suggest you speak to them directly instead of just complain anonymously. if you can't bring yourself to do that and you are still that unhappy i think you should find another job that you would be happier in.

08-20-2008, 12:55 AM
Sounds like I hit a nerve with noroomtotalk. So sorry. Truth isn't always pretty is it. This is my last post because I received nothing constructive or helpful like I had hoped. But hopefully things will get better. There is always hope !!!!

Xiphos
08-20-2008, 04:29 AM
I am from the old school that is sinking slowly, but am proud that we have our own Dispatch Center! It must be hard when you guys work side by side FHP Dispatch and work as hard and/or harder when they are making alot more money than you guys.

For what its worth, I hope they consolidate the Dispatch into one state dispatch. Then at least you all will be compensated and have equal pay to your counterparts.

08-20-2008, 10:50 PM
By the way if you are ready to step out of your windowless air condition room and strap on 20+ pounds of gear and come in to the mid summer heat of south Florida on a boat with little or no shade get with someone in your are for a ride along. Sunshine and fresh air, not!!

LOL. Is this a joke? You must be the biggest pansy ever.

08-21-2008, 11:13 PM
For what its worth, I hope they consolidate the Dispatch into one state dispatch. Then at least you all will be compensated and have equal pay to your counterparts.

I'm guessing you haven't been witness to the attitudes of FHP dispatch.
All those little extra steps we take to get you x43 won't happen with
those guys. If they consolidated but kept FWC separate it would be ok
but if they just toss it as another station for everyone to learn like they
did with FDLE & Fire Marshal, both the officers & the public will lose.

08-22-2008, 01:57 AM
Come on people, this is this the best job you've ever had and you know it ! If it's that bad for you please do yourself and the rest of us a favor and find something else to do without hesitation. I truly enjoy my vocation as a whole. I find much satisfaction in providing as much assistance and support to our law enforcement officers in the field as possible, especially when I find that it made a positive difference in the outcome of a particular event or confrontation involving my friend/officer on the other end of my radio.
Yes, at times we are all pressed with stressful circumstances that may or may not be known to others who are not physically present. Yes, at times we all go through rough patches. Yes, it is very true that those in different positions usually have only a partial picture of what each other face in the course of an average day. But yes, it is our stated and moral duty to provide the best support we can muster to each other.
I remember the time I had my motorcycle accident with substantial injury and lost time. Many other dispatchers, and officers whom I never met in person but talked to daily, supervisors and even my brand new commander, all rallied to offer aid and well wishes to me and my family. I sadly remember some awful events occurring in the lives of some of our officers. I remember feeling sick in my gut and shedding tears when certain events have severely impacted my FWC family members. These are my brothers and sisters. Like family, we at times can disagree or even touch a nerve of another.
The existence of this forum is doing no service to my FWC. I just learned of it today and am very disapointed after reading it. I find no justifiable value in it. It is only a tool to complain and degredate others. Just my dollar!

08-22-2008, 05:41 AM
Randy,

You have to be the best duty officer we have at TBRCC, i remember the night of our tragedy and that you still provided us with the best service we could have asked for even though you were still affected. when i hear you voice on the radio late at night i know if i call for help you will get it to me. thanks for what you do.

08-22-2008, 02:29 PM
Randy,

You have to be the best duty officer we have at TBRCC, i remember the night of our tragedy and that you still provided us with the best service we could have asked for even though you were still affected. when i hear you voice on the radio late at night i know if i call for help you will get it to me. thanks for what you do.

Totally agree.

Gamer
08-22-2008, 05:38 PM
Randy,

I guess that doesn't say much for the rest of us out there. Last time I checked it was a team effort. But, I do agree Randy is a great guy!

08-22-2008, 06:18 PM
Come on people, this is this the best job you've ever had and you know it ! If it's that bad for you please do yourself and the rest of us a favor and find something else to do without hesitation. I truly enjoy my vocation as a whole. I find much satisfaction in providing as much assistance and support to our law enforcement officers in the field as possible, especially when I find that it made a positive difference in the outcome of a particular event or confrontation involving my friend/officer on the other end of my radio.
Yes, at times we are all pressed with stressful circumstances that may or may not be known to others who are not physically present. Yes, at times we all go through rough patches. Yes, it is very true that those in different positions usually have only a partial picture of what each other face in the course of an average day. But yes, it is our stated and moral duty to provide the best support we can muster to each other.
I remember the time I had my motorcycle accident with substantial injury and lost time. Many other dispatchers, and officers whom I never met in person but talked to daily, supervisors and even my brand new commander, all rallied to offer aid and well wishes to me and my family. I sadly remember some awful events occurring in the lives of some of our officers. I remember feeling sick in my gut and shedding tears when certain events have severely impacted my FWC family members. These are my brothers and sisters. Like family, we at times can disagree or even touch a nerve of another.
The existence of this forum is doing no service to my FWC. I just learned of it today and am very disapointed after reading it. I find no justifiable value in it. It is only a tool to complain and degredate others. Just my dollar!

Yes Randy I agree with you. There are problems in our dispatch but I like to think when the chips are down we have each others backs. Of course that is just my 2 cents worth.

guestforever
08-22-2008, 06:54 PM
So now you sign your name..........

08-22-2008, 07:01 PM

Randy, this is the way almost all of us feel. Thank you for your x8 post.

We have a great dispatch with a great DOS supporting a great FWC Law Enforcement Family supporting a great mission.

This site was not the place to bring up such issues, if indeed, they even exist.

Linda

08-23-2008, 02:34 AM
I have volunteered in dispatch a couple of times. It was an eye opener to say the least. Remember guys and gals, its their job to support us out in the field. Also remember that they are our only lifeline to whatever back-up may be available. Treat them, your dispatchers, with respect as you would another officer. They are hard working people who's primary duty is to send help when your butt needs it. Positive posts and negative ones. No matter, this needed to be written.
Couldn't agree more. The only folk that gripe or complain about the dispatchers obviously haven't done it before. It is too easy to complain.

08-23-2008, 05:10 AM

Randy, this is the way almost all of us feel. Thank you for your x8 post.

We have a great dispatch with a great DOS supporting a great FWC Law Enforcement Family supporting a great mission.

This site was not the place to bring up such issues, if indeed, they even exist.

Linda

the only thing i can agree with you on linda is that randy is an awsome guy and a great duty officer, so are janice, connie, shelia, and mike. but when i hear that you have my tower i go find me a shade tree or go 112 at the house. YOU LINDA SCARE ME. when the stuff hits the fan i won't trust you with my life unlike the others i listed. all you are worried about is how much you can suck up to debbie, it's bad when an officer knows this. just look at your post whipe the brown off your nose and learn something from janice, connie, shelia, mike and randy. quit playing politics.

08-24-2008, 05:11 AM
Everyone is a suck up, two faced, and won't hesitate one second to turn somebody in just to look good to the DOS and try to prove how good of an employee they are.

The only ones exempt are the night shift and some on evenings, their names start with an A and B.

To follow the alphabet theme a bit, the original poster of this whole mess starts with a C!

08-24-2008, 08:01 PM
Can't we all just get along? Now say something nice to someone.....
I love you Bob, you make me smile!!!

Gamer
08-24-2008, 09:08 PM
Can't we all just get along? Now say something nice to someone.....
I love you Bob, you make me smile!!!

Leave Bob alone, he's mine...:)

08-26-2008, 01:58 AM
I didn't post that so everyone could go nuts. I am just saying not all dispatchers in my center know what the heck they are doing and they just dont care... They want to do their school work,send text messages or just goof off. I am not perfect but I atleast give a crap and make sure my work is done before doing something else. I put the officers first and don't act all mad because they ask me to do something. Hello that is my job. And I really don't think I am slamming anyone I have not said names but if any of those that are quilty read this than sorry but it is the truth. These are the same dispatchers that act like snots and get away with everything. It is a ridiculous situation and if I posted 1/2 of what goes on and what gets covered up, no one would believe that a state dispatch center is allowed to get away with and pull half the crap that goes on.
I believe what you say and its sad that it continues to happen. Don't look for anything to be done though.
The dispatchers in the NW Region are jam up! We appreciate them ...I'm sure they know that but it's nice for them to hear it once in awhile. We all get aggravated and when somethings happens that angers us sometimes our tone is not what it should be. I respect the DO's and they respect what we do. So to all you other DO's out there....call up the NW Region DO's and chat with them. Most should tell you they get along with each other pretty darn good considering working in close quarters like they do. I like talking to each and every one of the NW Region DO's. They are the best! Their pay is not what it should be....give em a raise Tallahassee!! Need Mo $$$$$!!