PDA

View Full Version : Political Stuff LE Related

08-16-2008, 05:12 PM
Hey my brothers and sisters just wanted to throw some information to you with the primaries coming up since it affects LEO's.

I am retired LEO from up North ( I know, I know, Boo, go home Yankee).

I have been working as an Fl State Law Enforcement Investigator for about four years down here and have worked with many of you, (just a quick note of thanks for not ever treating me like I don't belong.)

I'll get to the point ... Jim Todora, our property appraiser is the issue. Back when I moved down here I was advised to go by the Tax Appraiser's Office and fill out a form to have my public info exempt from the P.A. website, so I did. Amazingly when I checked the site my info had been changed to the address I requested, BUT the PID (Property ID number) was right there next to my name. DUH! Of course by searching the GIS with my PID there was my house and a map to get to it.

I complained several times and was told this is Mr. Todora's policy. So I sent a certified letter to Todora requesting that the PID be removed. You know what the answer was? NADA, Nothing. Not even a letter telling me "tough." Finally, I ended up writing Bill McCollum in the State Attorney General's Office for a legal opinion. Not surprisingly, an opinion from Charlie Crist had already been written that stated without question the PID does identify a property location like an address and to include this information is a violation of FSS 119.071(4)(d)1.

This opinion has been sent to Todora and he was forced to remove my PID. I don't know if Todora's lack of response was because he doesn't like law enforcement or because he's just lazy and complacent, but either way it is unacceptable. Just food for thought when you pull the lever.

If anyone out there is having the same problem with the Tax Appraiser's website publishing your personal info drop me an email at Florida5o@Yahoo.com and I will get the legal opinion to you.

Have a great day and stay safe.