PDA

View Full Version : Leadership... FINALLY

08-07-2008, 12:48 PM
Finally, a proud moment for PPPD.

In such a tragic event as one of our brother LEO’s being brutally murdered, in front of his young daughter no less, there is not much else that rally’s cops together than this kind of tragedy. Unfortunately, we have responded to far too many of these incidents and attended far too many police funerals in the last couple of years.

There are few positive aspects that can be realized during these incidents. However, two stood out during this one. First and foremost was the way the PPPD organized and came together with all of the other responding agencies, leading the manhunt for this piece of s**t.

The other, which is what dictated this successful investigation, was the leadership shown by one of our command staff. Without a doubt, leadership is the biggest trait that our collective command staff has been lacking over the past several years. However, when D/C Segarra stood up in front of the press, which was shown nation-wide, and said sternly and with conviction, “Let me be very clear; we are not going anywhere. We will be here until the suspect is caught. We will see this through to the end.” Then backed up his words by leading from the front, this is the leadership that we have so desperately needed from the command staff. It was a proud moment for the men and women of this department. I am glad that Segarra took the lead on this as none of the rest of the command staff would have been able to show the kind of leadership that he did. Sadly for the command staff, Segarra was the only person who could have pulled off the leadership that was shown during the last 36 hours. He should give private lessons to the Chief and the rest of the command staff on leadership and needs to be our permanent PIO.

There is just one other Captain whose efforts were above and beyond as well. Captain Sean Hemingway showed once again what he is made of and his character. He was non-stop taking charge and motivating others by leading by example. We saw this in Sean on the Somohono shooting last year. Way to be stand-up once again Captain.

The actions of these two, specifically Mike, have many who were involved in this saying that they were proud to be a part of this organization. This is something that has not been heard in quite some time.

Great job Mike Segarra, way to step up to the plate.

In the end this was a huge team effort. Hats off to all involved, from all of the detectives who ran down leads non-stop, especially Heim and Schorb, to Diaco, Ed Barry, even Rakofsky. Well done PPPD.

08-07-2008, 06:17 PM
Well said, I agree 100%.
Great job by everyone. Incredible job by D/C Segara.

08-07-2008, 06:48 PM
He may have done a great job but at the ending press conference when he started to yell into the cameras at the suspect (who was in custody) made him look like a tool.

08-07-2008, 07:32 PM
He may have done a great job but at the ending press conference when he started to yell into the cameras at the suspect (who was in custody) made him look like a tool.It didnt make him look bad, he did a great job from start to finish. And also a great job by all involved. The rest of the nation will look at us and think to themselves that PPPD has thier act together. Its really is a shame that is has to take a tragedy like this for us to rally together. Lets remember when it comes down to it we are all on the same team and the only ones that will be there for us when things go bad is us.

08-07-2008, 09:34 PM
Finally, a proud moment for PPPD.

In such a tragic event as one of our brother LEO’s being brutally murdered, in front of his young daughter no less, there is not much else that rally’s cops together than this kind of tragedy. Unfortunately, we have responded to far too many of these incidents and attended far too many police funerals in the last couple of years.

There are few positive aspects that can be realized during these incidents. However, two stood out during this one. First and foremost was the way the PPPD organized and came together with all of the other responding agencies, leading the manhunt for this piece of s**t.

The other, which is what dictated this successful investigation, was the leadership shown by one of our command staff. Without a doubt, leadership is the biggest trait that our collective command staff has been lacking over the past several years. However, when D/C Segarra stood up in front of the press, which was shown nation-wide, and said sternly and with conviction, “Let me be very clear; we are not going anywhere. We will be here until the suspect is caught. We will see this through to the end.” Then backed up his words by leading from the front, this is the leadership that we have so desperately needed from the command staff. It was a proud moment for the men and women of this department. I am glad that Segarra took the lead on this as none of the rest of the command staff would have been able to show the kind of leadership that he did. Sadly for the command staff, Segarra was the only person who could have pulled off the leadership that was shown during the last 36 hours. He should give private lessons to the Chief and the rest of the command staff on leadership and needs to be our permanent PIO.

There is just one other Captain whose efforts were above and beyond as well. Captain Sean Hemingway showed once again what he is made of and his character. He was non-stop taking charge and motivating others by leading by example. We saw this in Sean on the Somohono shooting last year. Way to be stand-up once again Captain.

The actions of these two, specifically Mike, have many who were involved in this saying that they were proud to be a part of this organization. This is something that has not been heard in quite some time.

Great job Mike Segarra, way to step up to the plate.

In the end this was a huge team effort. Hats off to all involved, from all of the detectives who ran down leads non-stop, especially Heim and Schorb, to Diaco, Ed Barry, even Rakofsky. Well done PPPD.

[color=#000080][size=150] Yes finally, a proud day to be associated as a Pines LEO, (should be) Chief Mike Segarra, you did an absoulute fantastic job leading the PPPD in finding the suspect. Every interview was thought out and you said all the right things, as mentioned before you are the only one in the entire administration who could have led this investigation. It was so intense and the way you kept the public informed but yet telling them that this subject would be caught. It was great to watch on television, how this investigation went down and how you led by example the entire investigation. Where was the Chief, where was the A.C., they were all hiding behind the scene because of you. They could not say or do anything to stop your investigation and the way you went about it. The P.I.O needs to stay in the Command Center. He was a total waste as the P.I.O. for the police department. If D.R. and L.D. did anything, it was a first. Mike you were overlooked for A.C. only after leading the C.A.L.E.A. Team achieving this certification. But yet, you kept the right attitude and continued to lead by example. I personally never liked you, but I have to admit, you did an outstanding job and hats go off to you. I salute you and the things you said which motivated the entire community. I feel City Hall should make you Chief of Police and put Dan in charge of Code Enforcement. Great job Chief Segarra, you have put Pines P.D. on the Map. Great job Mike.

08-07-2008, 09:46 PM
would D.R. represent the suspect for the right $$$? Makes you wonder, eh? Great job to Segarra! Seriously, do we have a chief? or only deputy and assistant chiefs? :?:

08-07-2008, 10:28 PM
Hey Mr. Dodge, do you read this forum? Promote Mike Segarra to Chief. We need leadership at the PD. Enough bad decisions have been made, make the right one.

08-08-2008, 12:43 AM
Hey Mr. Dodge, do you read this forum? Promote Mike Segarra to Chief. We need leadership at the PD. Enough bad decisions have been made, make the right one.

If you don't promote him, at least make him the P.I.O. for televised appearances. What we have now (as always in the past) just looks awful and embarrassing. Every single person that has spoken on this City's behalf on television in the past has made us all look like a bunch of push overs and bumbling boobz. At least Mikey tries to paint a different picture.
Excellent job on your speaking abilities to the public Mike.
And phenominel job by every single person that took part.
I read some of the papers on line, and further read some of their comment sections. I could care less if someone feels it's a waste of money and manpower. In fact, a lot of men and women were there on their own time accumulating absolutley no money from the citizens. Simply put, SKREW YOU SKUMBAG!!!! It's a killer off the street. Deal with it.

08-09-2008, 02:38 AM
who wrote all of this? ed berrie?

08-09-2008, 10:03 AM
I agree that Segarra did a helluva job. And it is true that nobody else could have done what he did. So I vote for Segarra for Chief of Police. Who would his command staff be? Obviously Sean his A/C. Maybe deservedly or so, but Sean is both his boy and he knows wtf he is doing. I see Chaos going down to maybe a PSA or over to city hall as a dog catcher. Who would be the rest of his command staff? :lol:

08-09-2008, 02:04 PM
Whoa!!!!!!!!! I didn't know Segarra and Hemingway posted on here!!!

08-09-2008, 02:10 PM
The rest of the command staff? Cerny, Pazienza, Corky, Tamburo, Laughlin.
Bring back Demma, Schelling and Palant. Let them show our command staff what real leadership is all about.
At least those guys had some respect from the troops and we had direction.
DEMMA for Chief. Segarra for Rako's secretary.

08-09-2008, 02:35 PM
The rest of the command staff? Cerny, Pazienza, Corky, Tamburo, Laughlin.
Bring back Demma, Schelling and Palant. Let them show our command staff what real leadership is all about.
At least those guys had some respect from the troops and we had direction.
DEMMA for Chief. Segarra for Rako's secretary.

DEMMA for chief?! You must be a 20!!!!

08-11-2008, 01:10 AM
[color=#000080][size=150] where was the A.C., they were all hiding behind the scene because of you. They could not say or do anything to stop your investigation and the way you went about it.
[/quote]
The AC was out of town. You better not be a detective as you have no clue. Should you not have the facts before you open your mouth and remove any doubts of how much of an ignorant dumb ass you are? Im just asking...

08-12-2008, 01:24 PM
It is true that KH and D/C DG were both on vacation and that is why they weren't there. Although the Chief was working and only showed up a couple of times. The truth is that Segarra and Hemingway ran the operation and schooled the rest of the command staff about what leadership is about. I agree with the above posts and have to say Great job to Segarra and Hemingway. It would be nice if the rest of the command staff would show this kind of leadership. All have the ability (well, except for DR who wouldn't know leadership if it smacked him in the face), but none are willing to step up to the plate. All sergeants should take a good note on these two and learn from them.

08-12-2008, 08:23 PM
Let's be clear on this. The reason that DC Segarra did such a great job is due to the fact that the Chief took a lesser role. Not everyone is supposed to be in the camera's eye people. The fact is that everyone has a task in this and the reason it goes so well, is when Captains and Chiefs take the back seat and allow someone as talented as Segarra to handle it. Hemingway as always gave his troops a motivational boost and Units thoughout did a fantastic job.