PDA

View Full Version : PNJ Article - Casting shadows on a campaign

08-03-2008, 05:35 PM
Casting shadows on a campaign
A sexual harassment reprimand, accusations of cheating and alleged political retaliation are dark marks on a candidate's otherwise lauded career

KRIS WERNOWSKY • KWERNOWSKY@PNJ.COM • AUGUST 3, 2008

Santa Rosa County sheriff candidate Jeff Van Camp's personnel file is filled with awards and commendations that span his 19-year tenure as an Escambia County sheriff's deputy and head of Crime Stoppers.

But the file also contains a reprimand for sexual harassment and accusations that he and another deputy cheated on a test that would allow them to become Escambia County sergeants.

Van Camp said in an interview last week that he's done nothing wrong, blaming Sheriff Ron McNesby for many of his problems.

"I am sick and tired of people slandering my good name," he said.

Van Camp believes McNesby felt threatened by his rising public profile through the Crime Stoppers program and generating complaints against him.

McNesby said last week that he was reluctant to speak about Van Camp because of a pending federal defamation lawsuit Van Camp filed against him this year.

"I don't want to jeopardize that," McNesby said.

Van Camp claims in the lawsuit that he was short-changed in pay during six years as head of Crime Stoppers. He also claims McNesby and a deputy retaliated against him for complaining about his pay, stripping him of his Crime Stoppers position, reassigning him to a midnight shift, and disparaging him in a letter published in a local newspaper.

Crime Stoppers years

Crime Stoppers is a program that rewards people for tips on unsolved crimes.

In 2001, an administrative assistant in the Crime Stoppers division accused Van Camp of sexual harassment.

Van Camp, who once wrestled under the moniker "Lord Humongous," stands about 6 feet 5 inches tall and weighs 275 pounds. He's also married with children. The complainant described herself as a churchgoing virgin who had a sheltered upbringing and was naive about sex.

The woman said Van Camp made at least three inappropriate sexual statements, including insinuating that she should have sex with a "real man" before she got married.

She also said on one occasion Van Camp repeatedly brushed his legs against hers. She said it made her feel so uncomfortable that she moved away.

The woman complained to two supervisors, but a formal investigation began only after she spoke to a third supervisor, Capt. Joel Mooneyham.

Van Camp later failed a lie-detector test about the incidents, while the woman passed.

Van Camp then wrote a letter of apology, saying that he was trying to be funny and not disrespectful to his co-workers.

"While I sometimes try to bring humor to my work with co-workers, I have never intended to offend anyone with my remarks, humorous or not," he wrote. "I am extremely embarrassed to have allowed myself to be placed in the position of being the subject of this type (of) complaint."

Now, however, Van Camp says the investigation was "a politically motivated slander against my name" because he had replaced Mooneyham as head of Crime Stoppers.

Mooneyham, who retired last year as a captain, said last week he would let Van Camp's record speak for itself.

"It would not be prudent for me to comment at this time," Mooneyham said.

Van Camp said last week that the sexual statements were innocent and taken out of context. He said he didn't mean to brush the woman's legs but was merely moving forward because he forgot his glasses.

"Since this all came up, I've worked around females without any issue," he said.

Another investigation

In 2006, Van Camp became the subject of another internal affairs investigation over allegations he and another deputy cheated while taking an exam in hopes of becoming sergeants.

Deputy Robert Powers told investigators that he overheard Deputy Jimmy James say to Van Camp, "Man, this is hard, you know what in the world is the answer to this?"

Powers said he also heard several co-workers accuse James and Van Camp of cheating and talking when test proctors were out of the testing room.

Deputy Jack Holland said that when he submitted his test, Van Camp held up five fingers "like indicating, you know, he might want an answer to number five" and also mouthed the word "five." Holland ignored Van Camp, turned his test in and left the room.

Sheriff's Office investigators later determined that James and Van Camp missed the same questions with the exception of one, according to the investigative report.

"Certainly that looks suspicious," Capt. Randy Brown, who supervised the investigation, said last week.

But he said the investigation was closed because what Van Camp and James were talking about could not be determined.

"We asked for some guidance on that from the Florida Department of Law Enforcement," Brown said. "They indicated that without the knowledge of what they were talking about, that investigation couldn't go forward."

Van Camp recalls it differently.

He said he wasn't holding up five fingers but was simply waving goodbye.

"All I know is that someone said I was trying to tell them answers, but I waved goodbye and didn't say a word," he said. "It was totally false. Just a political ploy to slander my name."

James and Van Camp were passed over for promotions after the test allegations. James was promoted to sergeant last February.

Last May 12, Van Camp did not pass the sergeant promotion exam, Brown said. He remains a master deputy.

Wage grievance

Shortly after the cheating allegations surfaced, Van Camp hired an attorney to represent him in a wage grievance against the Sheriff's Office.

He claimed he performed as a supervisor, overseeing employees, signing time sheets and conducting employee evaluations but was not paid at a supervisor's level.

Later in 2006, Van Camp filed the lawsuit against McNesby and Lt. Rex Blackburn, who wrote a letter to a local weekly newspaper criticizing Van Camp.

In addition to complaining about his pay, Van Camp also complained that McNesby retaliated against him for his choice of an attorney.

The attorney, Eric D. Stevenson, also represented Arety Sievers, owner of a Pensacola strip club, who had been involved in various disputes with the Sheriff's Office.

Van Camp claimed that McNesby's issues with Sievers and Stevenson spilled over to him, resulting in him being removed from Crime Stoppers and placed on a midnight shift.

"McNesby's dislike and anger over Ms. Siever's actions is well-known within the sheriff's office and the Pensacola-area community," the lawsuit states. "(McNesby) removed (Van Camp) from his position as officer in charge of Crime Stoppers because of the plaintiff's choice of attorney."

In an answer to the lawsuit, McNesby denied Van Camp's allegations and said action was taken for "legitimate, nondiscriminatory or nonretaliatory reasons."

A federal judge set a mediation deadline for Nov. 28. If the parties cannot reach agreement, a jury trial is scheduled for Jan. 19.

08-06-2008, 04:50 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UR3v1gUwZzk

08-06-2008, 09:24 PM
Framed, yes framed! It's funny that none of VanCamp's guys (or even himself) are on here defending him about this article. Not one post at all. They'll be the first one to bash the other candidates, but they won't even defend their own when the time comes. No honor among theives. It's difficult to defend bad things when they're the truth, huh? I had heard about all of this stuff before, but never imagined the PNJ would be so well informed about it all. He's certainly pissed off someone in the know.

08-07-2008, 01:38 PM
Jeff is engaging the media and focusing on his campaign.
Look at his website and his response is posted (www.vancampforsheriff.org (http://www.vancampforsheriff.org)).
He has written the editors of the PNJ, the Gulf Breeze News, the Independent News, the NWF Daily, etc.
I think his reply should have been more direct and basically pointed directly to the ECSO as the source for the article and the letter writing LT as the one that made all of the information so readily available.
When is the last time the ECSO has been forthcoming w/Sunshine requests?
It was a payback for challenging the high sheriff of escambia county.
no surprise there...

08-07-2008, 02:06 PM
Oh get real! If VanSteroid had "challenged" Ronnie Mac he would not be employed at ECSD now!
The only run running, well I don't know about this Pea**** fellow that has signs up, that's remotely qualified is Randle.
However, you might as well suck it up and get ready for another four years of Sheriff Hall. All of these people running splits the vote, and there is no runoff anymore. The incumbent automatically get's a boost by being at the top of the ballot. Also in the public eye he hasn't screwed the pooch so there is no perceived need to vote him out.
If you'll use yer brains instead of your balls you'll get a grasp of whats going on and what will happen. It's not rocket science afterall! :?

08-07-2008, 02:35 PM
And you say that Jeff's supporters attack candidates.
Go thru my posts and there are very few mentions of other candidates and some of those I apologized for posting.
A lawsuit isn't a challenge? You have the balls to sue your boss and that isn't a challenge?
What do you want? A fistfight? Best of 3? Get real.
You went so left field w/your brains/balls comment that I don't even know how to respond to that...

08-07-2008, 02:39 PM
A cut/paste from Jeff's website:

Friends and supporters.

As many of you are aware, there was an article in the Sunday, 8/3/2008 Pensacola News Journal that ignored the other candidates and attempted to portray me in a very negative light. First and foremost, your support means everything to me. Those of you who know me, those of you who support me, those of you who believe it is time for change know that I am not the person that was portrayed in the article.

When I chose to run for Sheriff of Santa Rosa, I knew that I would have to tolerate smears and accusations but I expected them to come from the general public or other candidates, not the PNJ via the Escambia County Sheriff's Office.

Both allegations that were reported on in great detail resulted in no disciplinary action, no loss of rank, no suspension, no reprimand, and no transfer of duty. In other words, they were unfounded. I’ve never once hidden the fact that the investigations occurred. I have also been vocal in stating my belief that they were politically motivated from within the department.

The sexual harassment investigation was only started after the 3rd supervisor, Capt. Joel Mooneyham, who I replaced on Crimestoppers, was contacted. Coincidence?
I have been married for 24 years to my college sweetheart. I understand the obstacles that women face in the workplace and I know firsthand what my wife, my friend’s wives, and other women have had to face. I chose to write a letter of apology in my case because I honestly felt bad that someone had misunderstood what I might have said or done. I wound up feeling guilty for something that I would never condone or do.

I didn’t cheat on the Sergeants exam. I can’t be anymore direct and blunt than that. Deputies worked together in study groups to prepare for the test. I studied with Deputy James and obviously our study group went in the wrong direction on some of the test areas. No different then studying for the SAT, ACT, etc.

Yes, I have a lawsuit filed against the ECSO. I was promoted to Acting Officer in Charge for the Crimestoppers Unit but never received the typical increase in pay associated with the position. After filing a complaint and ultimately hiring an attorney, I was abruptly removed from Crimestoppers and placed on the midnight patrol shift in the Ensley area. I challenged the Sheriff and as a result he chose to retaliate. His statement of moving me was for “legitimate, nondiscriminatory or nonretaliatory reasons” doesn’t hold water given his reputation. Lt. Blackburn then started a letter writing campaign to further attempt to destroy my reputation.

I made a point of seeking out a treasurer who has a reputation of always being direct, blunt, honest, and relentless. I knew going into this that I would have to have somebody who was a law enforcement outsider and a person who would never allow mistakes to be considered a status-quo of my campaign. I was not going to embrace the good-old-boy mentality that accepts corruption as the status-quo. I surround myself with people who understand that we are running on a platform based on honesty, morality, and accountability.

The people working on my campaign have been told since day #1 that we are going to run an honest, positive, fact-based campaign. The article in the PNJ does not represent who I am, what I’ve done, and the future I can provide for our citizens.

Thanks
Jeff

08-08-2008, 12:25 AM
We do not need another from across the river, Hall has been bad enought for the agency. Hall will get re-elected. SRSO gets to have incompetent leadership for four more years. If Hall would just open his eyes and ears to the needs of his people, he would be Sheriff for a lot longer. One day a competent person will defeat Hall and return the agency to one that has leadership qualities. Hall just doesnt understand how he and his henchmen have ruined a great agency.

08-08-2008, 01:31 AM
We do not need another from across the river, Hall has been bad enought for the agency. Hall will get re-elected. SRSO gets to have incompetent leadership for four more years. If Hall would just open his eyes and ears to the needs of his people, he would be Sheriff for a lot longer. One day a competent person will defeat Hall and return the agency to one that has leadership qualities. Hall just doesnt understand how he and his henchmen have ruined a great agency.

Across the river, down in the breeze or up in pace. Nobody's got what it takes to beat the sheriff this time around. As far as Hall's henchmen they were here before he was and have managed to make a career at this agency and it has survived and prospered. You should have been here before Hall arrived if you think things are messed up.
A lot of comments have been made about some admin guys that never spent a day on patrol. Fact is thats not true. I know for a fact SC and JO been there and done that. Maybe they didn't make a career out of it but to say they never did patrol is BS. Now dont get the wrong idea and say i'm some a**kisser because i'm not defending any decisions thats been made by any of them but just setting the record straight about the patrol thing. I'm sure a lot of you five year guys could turn everything around in a couple of weeks and we would be wanting to do the job for free. We have progressed through each administration and have a lot of good officers who understand no matter who's in charge somebody is always gonna ***** and moan about how bad we got it and how the admin is out of touch with the officers. if you think the sheriff is out of touch, be a man and go tell him. what exactly is it that you want to tell the sheriff that would make everything better for you?
I wish we did make more money but bottom line is i've done a lot worse jobs for a lot less pay.
the great thing about this job is when you get enough of it you can leave and go find a high paying state or federal job. look at the list of former santa rosa deputies that have done just that.

08-10-2008, 04:58 AM
Just wait until all the votes have been tallied!!! Election night will speak volumes for the candidate who has proven leadership, one that has brought honesty, integrity and morality to the SRSO. Also one who has earned the respect and the trustworthiness from the Santa Rosa County Citizens.

You can rest assure that it will not be the candidate that has stood before the public and told "OUT-RIGHT LIES" against the present Sheriff!!! For an opponent to be so "TACKY and so INSECURE" of himself; tsk..tsk.. really shows instability as far as a leader.
At least Sheriff Hall quotes facts at the Public Rallies and does not get into the "MUD-SLINGING" against one of his opponents!!!

08-10-2008, 05:24 AM
Hey Ass CLOWN,
Maybe you need to read my post about VanCEE . Check it out .But ,You cann't read it with you Face up WH's Ass! So pull it out and look @ WHAT IS VANCEE UP TO AGAIN! It talks about
U and all your GOOD OLD BUDDIES ! The ASS CLOWNS !! In Fact maybe you need to sign in as ASS CLOWN #1 and your buddies can be 2,3,4,5,6 and ect....sure you could get up to maybe 60 or so.You HOMO .If you don't know BUI's are breaking the LAW also so tell you BIG LEADER that he is OUT AUG 26TH Maybe he can find a Job w/RM sucking Eggs
and you can show them both how too, Cause you like to suck alot of stuff!!!!!!

Thanks ,
For the GOOD TIME!!!
Leave me your email address .I'll drop you and a line FAG!!!!

I am letting everyone know about this site ! And believe me when I say ,That there not going to be happy not happy at all to see how COPS do business in SR County!
HA!HA!HA!

08-10-2008, 01:06 PM
Just wait until all the votes have been tallied!!! Election night will speak volumes for the candidate who has proven leadership, one that has brought honesty, integrity and morality to the SRSO. Also one who has earned the respect and the trustworthiness from the Santa Rosa County Citizens.

You can rest assure that it will not be the candidate that has stood before the public and told "OUT-RIGHT LIES" against the present Sheriff!!! For an opponent to be so "TACKY and so INSECURE" of himself; tsk..tsk.. really shows instability as far as a leader.
At least Sheriff Hall quotes facts at the Public Rallies and does not get into the "MUD-SLINGING" against one of his opponents!!!

As for myself, an individual employed by Hall, I will call Hall a leadershipless Sheriff with no integrity. I have had personal conversations with Hall where he told me his policy then let Collier and his good-ol-boys do whatever they wanted. Not everything in this forum is about politics, some of it is calling a spade a spade. We all know that Hall will be re-elected, we just want him to know that he is not respected by his own agency. If he is willing to disrespect me, I will do the same to him. He is the only one that can change what he has done to the integrity of the agency---wholesale change at the top.

08-11-2008, 09:51 PM
Is there anyway to the non LE filth off of this website?

08-11-2008, 11:13 PM
Is there anyway to the non LE filth off of this website?

Yes, keeping people like you that can't write a complete sentence off the site. State your opinion so it can be understood.

08-12-2008, 02:48 AM
That's funny cause you were the trash i was talking about.

08-12-2008, 02:55 AM
I read on the PNJ blog that Van Cee has his wife writing his excuses for him now. I went through several of her post and the only thing she can talk about is his fidelity. Its odd she would be so determined to defend his fidelity since no one has questioned it. I've read about his sexual harassment charges over at ECSO but nothing about his fidelity although I found it odd she was questioning the fidelity of others. Pot calling the kettle black maybe hmmmmm? What's up with that? Guilt feelings perhaps?

08-12-2008, 02:58 AM
Let's see Roper has a reputation, Van Camp has a reputation, Randle has a reputation. That's three challengers with tarnished reputations. At least we still have one knight in shining armor on a white horse!

08-12-2008, 03:04 AM
Don't care about Randle's tarnished reputation but I do care that his only campaign slogan is that Hall's been unfair to the illegal aliens. First he supported Hall now he's trying to gather their support to his cause. That's the kind of firm decisiveness that we need at the SRSO! At least he's not throwing mud like Roper and Van Camp but give us a break Hillary, take a position and stay with it!

08-12-2008, 03:18 AM
Randle must not know he is in SR County if he thinks that protecting the rights of illegals to steal IDs of citizens is going to get him votes.

08-12-2008, 12:20 PM
Surely any of you with an ounce of sense can understand that there are some bigger targets to be hitting in the county than some non-violent illegal aliens who are doing the work that no one else wants to be doing. They're not going out and applying for credit cards or mortgages. They're working 10-14 hours a day doing backbreaking work that you don't see little Johnny or Timmy doing anymore. It's not popular maybe, but it's true. Whats funny is how no other businesses or racial groups were hit by the AIM team. So instead of calling them undocumented workers, let's call them what they are, illegal aliens from Mexico, because really, that's what they're hunting down. Not any southeast Asians. Not any Russians. Not anyone else who might be here on an expired green card. Randle's not ignoring them, he's being real about it. The AIM team came running onto construction sites and landscaping companies (businesses predominantly with Mexicans, etc. doing the hard labor) and confronted those who looked like they were Mexican or latino.The resources of something like the AIM team could be put to better use, that's all. Wendell wasn't checking their papers when they were putting the roof back on the jail or roofs back on his friend's houses after the hurricanes. But now, oh yes now, they pose a threat.

08-13-2008, 03:21 AM
Casting Shadows on a Campaign:

I have lived in Santa Rosa County since I was 18 years of age. Of course, I am a much older person now. Yes, I am of the female gender(for the record my name is Joan W.). I have either been involved in politics or been around politics most of my grown life. I have been to political rallies and read up on all the political news....and I have never heard a candidate's WIFE, so blatantly, before this year...... Make such outlandish accusations and false quips against another candidate. These type of accusations Ms. VanCamp, really brings the word "ASHAMED" to the female sector. Ms. VanCamp we (the citizens) are well aware that your husband is running for the Sheriff's position. But now the question arises??? Who is running for the office of Sheriff, Ms. VanCamp??? You or Jeff VanCamp!!!

During a political season, everyone gets excited for their choice of candidate, Ms. VanCamp (Bridgette) whichever you prefer to be addressed. Individuals are wanting to find out what CANDIDATE can bring the most and the best to Santa Rosa County. But most individuals(the citizens) really don't approve of the MUDSLINGING TACTICS and false accusations. I believe we probably all have skeletons in our closets. But when the candidate YOU are supporting Ms.VanCamp... has his exposed....Well, it is not a very nice person that goes and attacks another candidate. I guess you could say Ms. VanCamp, I am from the old school, where we let the MEN BE MEN!!!

And really any of us that LIVE IN GLASS HOUSES...should not be throwing stones!!

Thank You,
Joan W.

08-13-2008, 02:26 PM
Let's see Roper has a reputation, Van Camp has a reputation, Randle has a reputation. That's three challengers with tarnished reputations. At least we still have one knight in shining armor on a white horse!

Sure is hard to put a zipper in an armor suit, your knight surely has used a zipper. Never saw your knight in anything white, always a decked out black beauty of one brand or another. Get over your infatuation with Hall. We all know he will be re-elected and we will continue to have a leadershipless agency.

08-13-2008, 07:09 PM
Joan W., You go girl!

08-22-2008, 01:54 AM
So someone enlighten me since I don't seem to be on the up and up on Roper. How is he tarnished? When a good friend of mine was in a very serious car accident in SRC he was the trooper who worked her accident. Her mother works for SRSO. He was there at the hospital with her mom and was checking in on her daughter. To this day he hasn't forgotten about her and always asks how she is. As a citizen of SRC I find this admirable. Where was the wonderful Sheriff of this county when his own officers have been in the hospital? Let's see as for wives getting involved I would hate to see the wonderful Sheriff you all work for wife getting involved. She doesn't even have custody of her own children for God's sake! It's time to get rid of the trash running the SRSO and get someone in there who has pride and is willing to wear a uniform like he is a part of the agency. Amazing I tell ya.

08-23-2008, 04:00 AM
I just had to respond to the previous post.........I am really confused about a couple of sentences in that post.

The present Sheriff's wife does have:

1. A teen that lives with the Mother (attends a local school/no custody problem there)

2. A son that attends college (grown young man/no custody problem there)

3. One young adult daughter now serving our country in IRAQ (no custody problem there)

4. One young adult son (Military also) will be deployed this coming month (no custody problem there)

And yes, the above are the real facts.......So in your own words "FOR GOD'S SAKE'S!!"

08-23-2008, 04:17 AM
If you are going to claim to have posted your name, then post the whole thing...

Let me guess? Your initials are D.D. perhaps?

08-24-2008, 01:36 AM
So someone enlighten me since I don't seem to be on the up and up on Roper. How is he tarnished? When a good friend of mine was in a very serious car accident in SRC he was the trooper who worked her accident. Her mother works for SRSO. He was there at the hospital with her mom and was checking in on her daughter. To this day he hasn't forgotten about her and always asks how she is. As a citizen of SRC I find this admirable. Where was the wonderful Sheriff of this county when his own officers have been in the hospital? Let's see as for wives getting involved I would hate to see the wonderful Sheriff you all work for wife getting involved. She doesn't even have custody of her own children for God's sake! It's time to get rid of the trash running the SRSO and get someone in there who has pride and is willing to wear a uniform like he is a part of the agency. Amazing I tell ya.

Not sure who this is but really would like to know as you totally used me in this post. If you are going to post something and use myself and my mom is your post then at least get your facts straight. The first portion of this post is true the second I have no clue what you are talking about. Get your facts straight and keep your mouth off myself and my mother. We both work at the SO and don't need stupid crap like this posted. I have met Karen and haven't had a problem with her. Karen gave stuff to families which were in need via me and I think she is a good person. Have a wonderful weekend.