PDA

View Full Version : New twist on the headache excuse!

07-31-2008, 05:30 AM
Inquiry: LPD Officer Neglected His Duty

By Jeremy Maready
The Ledger

Published: Wednesday, July 30, 2008 at 12:01 a.m.
Last Modified: Thursday, July 31, 2008 at 12:40 a.m.
LAKELAND | A six-month internal investigation into a rumored sexual tryst between two Lakeland Police Department employees was inconclusive, a 3-inch-thick report has concluded.

The inquiry ended last week with an official reprimand of Lt. Joe Henson for neglect of duty when he left his post to rest in the department's meditation room to "fight off" a migraine headache, although he later turned in a sick leave slip for the time he was away from his post.

A second charge of violating the department's substance abuse policy, for taking his wife's prescription migraine medication Imitrex, was dismissed because it was not a narcotic, but was left in Henson's permanent file.

Henson's files show that he suffered a head injury in the line of duty in the late 1970s and chronic migraines have persisted since. He now has received a prescription for the medication.

The investigation's final report details cell phone records, time slips, surveillance video clips with time stamps, electronic key access records, and transcripts of interviews from seven department employees.

The case, which was fueled by Internet gossip on a popular police forum, didn't officially open as an internal investigation until mid-January and concluded April 29, officials said.

Review by senior staff and the scheduling of a pre-disciplinary conference prolonged the case's outcome until last week, Police Chief Roger Boatner said.

Henson, a 29-year veteran of the department and husband of Assistant Chief Debra Henson, approached LPD's internal investigations unit Dec. 18 and asked to be cleared of rumors circulating around the office and in online forums, particularly on the Web site LEOAffairs.com.

Henson, who offered to take a polygraph for investigators to prove his account, now oversees the communications department at LPD.

The rumor: That an LPD detective walked in on Henson and an unidentified female employee having sex inside the department's meditation room.

He denies the accusations in the rumor and contends he is still open to taking the test, Henson said. "There's nothing I have to hide."

Henson, who oversaw the Delta Squad of the patrol division at the time, told investigators that while he was lying behind the door inside the meditation room, about the size of a large walk-in closet with two high-back red leather chairs and a small table, another person tried to open the door, but quickly left.

Henson said he yelled out, "Give me a minute. Give me a minute. I'm behind the door," according to transcripts. But by the time Henson put his jacket and shoes back on, the person was gone, and all he heard was a door to the detective's unit shut.

Investigators later determined it was Detective David Anderson, a 24-year veteran of the agency and homicide detective, who briefly opened the door to the room, anywhere between 8 and 18 inches wide, and then left, reports said.

Anderson told investigators he saw a silhouette quickly move from a corner and heard a female voice say, "Whoops," or "Oops," and Henson's voice coming from behind the door saying "Give us a minute. Give us a minute," trying to push the door shut.

"It was so quick. It was so quick! It was very, very quick," Anderson told investigators on the transcript interview. "I wish I'd never opened that door. I wish I'd never opened that dadgum door."

"When you boil this down, it comes down to Detective Anderson and myself," Henson said of the case.

And based on what Anderson told investigators, Henson doesn't think that it warranted an official investigation.

Even if there was a woman in the room, which Henson denies, that alone doesn't constitute a violation of department policy, he said.

"What I was hoping he would do is just give me a minute and we would have had this all cleared up," Henson said. "We don't have naked people. We don't have sounds. Unfortunately, this was something that turned ugly."

While investigating the rumors, which used the names of three different female employees, investigators learned that only one female employee was on duty that day - Christina Kachadurian, an administrative assistant in the communications department and a friend of Henson's.

Throughout the investigation, information received by internal detectives from Anderson, Henson and Kachadurian didn't match up - leaving investigators stumped in the he-said, she-said, he-said case.

Investigators interviewed Kachadurian three times between January and February because her sworn testimony in the investigation became contradictory, particularly about phone calls she had with Henson, the time her shift ended and when she left for the day.

But what the investigative reports don't discuss is what evidence was collected in the meditation room.

A copy of a Dec. 22 report said a crime scene technician was contacted in reference to an Internal Affairs investigation and was told to process the room for the presence of body fluids.

The report said the room was examined for the presence of fluids using a ultraviolet light, and there was a positive reaction on the floor to the left side of the chair and on the wall on the right side of the chair.

Those findings were never processed by lab technicians for DNA matches, Boatner said.

Because the room, which is frequently used by officers, can be accessed by any employee within LPD and because the investigation never rose to the level of a criminal investigation, the samples were never processed, Boatner said.

Following the investigation, Boatner is tightening up the department's policy on the notification of supervisors when someone takes sick time. He also plans to have discussions with employees regarding prescription medication use and possibly incorporating that into LPD's official policy, he said.

[ Jeremy Maready can be reached jeremy.maready@theledger.com. or 863-802-7592. ]

Lonewolf1
07-31-2008, 11:52 AM
:lol: That story reads better than an Obama campaign speech. May not have enough to convict in court, but it sure raises a lot of integrity issues of a certain Lieutenant. Not only that, now he is in charge of communications, talk about putting the fox in the hen house....it just keeps funnier and funnier at what was once a proud and professional agency....thanks LPD 3rd floor for continuing your sterling guidance and leadership.

07-31-2008, 12:46 PM
Agreed ... very embarrasing ... it's obvious from reading between the lines here what was occuring in the "meditation room".

07-31-2008, 03:53 PM
I'm sorry. As a police officer..it doesn't seem to be obvious. You have two conflicting stories. Det. Anderson stated that he never observed what was going on inside and the LT has stated his version. The LPD grapevine seemed to create the other "missing" facts. Right, wrong, or indifferent, until I see evidence that something else transpired, then I can't pass judgement. Just remember about throwing rocks into a glass house. Which one of us can be next if someone mis-interprets something we do. Then you will hope that the grapevine keeps it's stupid comments to itself.

07-31-2008, 04:30 PM
If the LT initiated this IA investigation to clear himself then that means Det. Anderson HAD TO speak with investigators. He did not seek them out. What reason does he have to lie about what he observed/heard? I know he is a man of integrity and one of the most trust-worthy people at the PD. The LT is certainly in a position where telling less than the whole truth could benefit him. Why all the contradictory statements from the third party who should have been dumbfounded as to her rumored involvenment in this thing? But then who cares anymore, it's evidently a closed case and another soap opera chapter from LPD closed.

07-31-2008, 05:35 PM
I dont believe anyone ever said that Det Anderson lied. There goes those assumptions again. Pappy reported what he "thought" he observed and heard. Nothing more. Maybe he was mistaken or maybe not. Maybe the LT did something wrong, maybe not. Show me the facts! You remember those??

07-31-2008, 08:32 PM
"I'm sorry, but as a police officer it doesn't seem obvious to me"!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm guessing Rookie, Liar or Holier than Thou.

Anyone and I mean anyone who has been around LPD or any dept. for that matter knows and I say KNOWS that things occur between dispatchers and cops, and yes, I know it's a shock, but things even occur between married dispatchers and cops.

This is not the first and won't be the last, was he wrong, yes, did the investigators do the right thing, yes. If everyone at LPD who ever was involved in such a situation (weather caught or not) were to be disciplined/fired or whatever, we would have a lot less personnel at the PD, and that goes from the comm center to the 3rd floor and back down to patrol.

Trust me, the Goose that Laid the Golden Egg (Deputy Chief), knows that the other Goose is a Duck (Lt), and trust me, his goose will be cooked...................

07-31-2008, 10:45 PM
"The report said the room was examined for the presence of fluids using a ultraviolet light, and there was a positive reaction on the floor to the left side of the chair and on the wall on the right side of the chair. "

This is the first time i've ever read anything about this - i dont keep up with the news much. No news = good news :lol:

But from my gut feeling - Seems like someone was dunking his crawler into another person's coffee. (Please note: Coffee is not describing black or mixed color - just the warm and wetness :wink: ).

and that's my take on it - too bad there were no cameras to catch them having a midnight snack. Could have given it out like a prize for appearing for court or paying tickets.

"Thanks for paying your 250 dollar speeding ticket - and here's a free instructional DVD on how to Meditate!"
"Good to see you in the courtroom today Ms. Crackwhore - as a special gift from me to you a Meditation DVD - you may want to watch this with your next client"

07-31-2008, 10:47 PM
"The report said the room was examined for the presence of fluids using a ultraviolet light, and there was a positive reaction on the floor to the left side of the chair and on the wall on the right side of the chair. "

This is the first time i've ever read anything about this - i dont keep up with the news much. No news = good news

But from my gut feeling - Seems like someone was dunking his crawler into another person's coffee. (Please note: Coffee is not describing black or mixed color - just the warm and wetness ).

and that's my take on it - too bad there were no cameras to catch them having a midnight snack. Could have given it out like a prize for appearing for court or paying tickets.

"Thanks for paying your 250 dollar speeding ticket - and here's a free instructional DVD on how to Meditate!"
"Good to see you in the courtroom today Ms. Crackwhore - as a special gift from me to you a Meditation DVD - you may want to watch this with your next client"

Signed,

"Special Citizen"

08-01-2008, 01:22 AM
So if things are like they have always been, then that means Harry must have been there first. Joe always comes second after Harry when it comes to women.

08-01-2008, 01:37 AM

Anyone and I mean anyone who has been around LPD or any dept. for that matter knows and I say KNOWS that things occur between dispatchers and cops, and yes, I know it's a shock, but things even occur between married dispatchers and cops.

This is not the first and won't be the last, was he wrong, yes, did the investigators do the right thing, yes. If everyone at LPD who ever was involved in such a situation (weather caught or not) were to be disciplined/fired or whatever, we would have a lot less personnel at the PD, and that goes from the comm center to the 3rd floor and back down to patrol.

Trust me, the Goose that Laid the Golden Egg (Deputy Chief), knows that the other Goose is a Duck (Lt), and trust me, his goose will be cooked...................

I just wanted to clear up something. The female was not a dispatcher. I don't know why everyone always assumes its a dispatcher.

Also, I think it is quite amusing that the female is now the Lt's secretary. Now they get to have even more alone time together. Some punishment.

08-01-2008, 10:25 AM

How did dispatchers get thrown into this? Oh, right. Anything that goes wrong can be traced back to the non-sworn. Oh, and it's just married dispatchers, not married cops. No, never. The sworn have standards they are held to! Thanks!

08-01-2008, 02:07 PM
Just to clarify, when I was saying dispatchers, I was being general (and yes, being general and saying dispatchers is justified, but since I need to be specific for you I will say support staff).

Also, if you read the sentence again, it says, married dispatchers (
*sub support staff) and officers, ie. married dispatchers and married officers, or dispatchers (*sub support staff) and married officers or even single dispatchers who are dating one person and sleeping with another and officers who are dating one person and sleeping with another.

If you are part of a group mentioned and you have not done any such thing (good for you), look around, someone you know has, if your group was not mentioned here, look around and you will see someone who fits the mold.

* sub is in reference to substitute, as in sub (substitute) support staff. Just in case you (and this means anyone reading this, not specifically you) were thinking it means sub (subordinate) support staff.

08-01-2008, 03:14 PM
huh?

08-01-2008, 03:32 PM
It really doesn't matter what excuses some people want to make for this particular Lt. the incident in the meditation room never never should have taken place. We're all adults here, don't bury your head in the sand, facts, pictures, what's it going to take for some people to believe what two people of the opposite sex were doing in that room?

These two should be fired, as should a certain Sgt. who keeps getting chance after chance.

This agency has more black eyes than a prize fighter.

Grow up people, this is not the proper behavior for work. I will take Det. Anderson's word over this Lt.'s word any day.

For those of you who are new to this Dept. give yourself a few more years here before you comment on this post. Your eyes need to be opened!!

Let's have a bring your prescription to work day and we'll all just trade out whatever goodies we may have.....Seems as though this is a non- issue also!!

08-02-2008, 03:59 PM
I AGREE

08-02-2008, 04:19 PM
It is my understanding that in an internal investigation you "have" to answer all the questions asked to you. it is also my understanding that if you dont answer the questions in a truthful manner you are subject to discipline, termination etc...

I obviously havent read the i.a. but having wrapped my little pee brain around this concept, did i.a. ask the LT who was in the room? If so, what was the answer? If the interviewed female had three inconsistent statements then why is she still employed?
Even if this was a, well lets say, a misunderstanding at best, then why was the LT left to supervise the subordinate? Looks like the city(PD) is setting itself up for a lawsuit. Im sorry we have already set a precedent with supervisors sleeping with subordinates and when they complain about the subordinate is simply moved.

It appears that the LT's morals and ethics are suspect at best.

It also appears that Staff 1 has stopped another investigation. The results of the "goo light" determined that there was semen present in the room. In order for a DNA test to be conducted there doesnt need to be a ongoing criminal investigation. This was just an excuse. The example I use is in paternity tests, DNA is used every day to see who the baby daddy is.

As for the prescription use, well it appears that the LT is either addicted to someone elses prescription or just needs help. Taking someone elses prescrition is a serious lack of judgement, and not very safe, but thats already been established, as well as a crime. The other crime is whomever dispensed the prescription without a license. I believed this was determined to be his wife.

Sounds to me like someone violated the substance abuse policy. Was counseling for his substance abuse ordered as part of his punishment or lack there of.

In conclusion, standby on the next two that are locked and loaded. Its going to make us look great.

STAND STRONG.....