PDA

View Full Version : Margate cop arrests Coconut Creek cop for DUI

07-28-2008, 11:19 AM
A longtime Coconut Creek police sergeant was arrested Tuesday on a charge of driving under the influence.

Sgt. Stephen Guenther, 59, was arrested on the misdemeanor DUI charge in his Margate driveway. He is free on $500 bond and was back at work Thursday. His driver's license was suspended for refusing a sobriety check, according to state driving records.

Guenther is a 26-year veteran who supervises records and dispatch, said Tony Avello, spokesman for the department. Avello said that Guenther remains on duty pending the outcome of the criminal case. He said the sergeant doesn't drive an agency vehicle.

"This was an incident that occurred off-duty in another jurisdiction. It was a misdemeanor arrest," Avello said. "We are waiting for due process before we make any decisions internally."

Guenther could not be reached for comment Thursday and it was unclear if he had an attorney. According to personnel records, the department has not launched an internal investigation of Guenther in his 26 years, and he has received 25 letters of commendation in that time.

According to the Margate arrest report, a police officer was flagged down Tuesday in the 1000 block of Northwest 68th Terrace by someone who saw a man sleeping in a car in the neighborhood. The officer found a running SUV with a man leaning forward in the driver's seat, according to an arrest report. The officer wrote that he banged on the man's window three times before he awoke.

Under Florida law, a person doesn't have to be driving to be arrested on a DUI charge, but must be in "actual physical control" of a vehicle.

07-28-2008, 11:25 AM
LPD should take a page out of Creek's book and try waiting for due process before crucifying their officers. I would like to know the rat at Margate, I hope that rat doesn't break any laws!

07-29-2008, 11:36 PM
Are you sure that wasn't a LPD traffic officer that ratted the margate cop and arrested him? That seems to be their M.O.

RATS

07-30-2008, 02:31 AM
It sucks that it happened to shaun and its sad that hes going through this drama, but at least we'll now know who likes to snitch on cops. Theres no excuse for why you snitched.

This could have been addressed in 25 other ways. You actually went to IA and had Shaun put on admin leave.

I am also going to pull the IA file when its over and will publish who the rat squad is around here.

To the snitch or snitches: Be careful. EVERYONE screws up once in a while and everyone violates policy here and there. When you do, I will personally be there to make sure its investigaed by IA each and every time. Good luck :cop:

03-19-2010, 05:08 AM
margate cop did the right thing. I'd do the same, coconut creek cops think they're better than everybody. Cops break the law, pay twice as much. I always follow all rules, because I pin people for not following them

03-21-2010, 09:09 AM
LPD has one of the worst traffic units in the county. The main problem has been fired from a dept up north and was fired again while working for Lauderhill but somehow got his job back.

The guy is dangerous and everyone knows who this guy is. He gets off burning good police officers. And the city wonders why morale is so low here...lol

WAKE UP HILL

06-10-2010, 07:16 PM
thanks for deleting my post. You are all control freeks. Have fun living a hallow life. Swine

01-13-2011, 07:43 AM
He deserved to be arrested...he should know better.

08-18-2012, 06:09 PM
margate cop did the right thing. I'd do the same, coconut creek cops think they're better than everybody. Cops break the law, pay twice as much. I always follow all rules, because I pin people for not following them

You have to love a complete moron who comments on something and doesn't know the facts. Guenther did the right thing you moron. He never drove his vehicle. He had a fight with his wife so instead of having it escalate he decided to walk out of his house and sleep in his car in his own driveway. The idiot Margate cop could have easily used something called discretion and called him a cab to a hotel. Instead he flexes his muscles and makes us all look bad. Funny I call cabs all the time for borderline drunk civilians all the time, but a cop who never endangered no one doesn,t deserve the same consideration...