PDA

View Full Version : 10 hrs

07-21-2008, 09:42 PM
Do anyone know if our department will be goig to 10 hours shifts? Also I heard the Troopers are getting tasers, do you think we might get them, I feel this would be a great tool for those who work the violent area of there counties like Tampa, Olando, West Palm and Miami

07-22-2008, 12:28 AM
I haven't heard anything about 10 hour shifts. I mentioned it in the past and it is always the same answer, NO, cause of personnel issues. As for the tasers. I hope we get them but knowing our agency they won't cause they are scared of any liability. I've heard FHP might go to them but nothing was set in stone.

07-22-2008, 02:13 AM
Just heard from a FHP CIP friend that they got an email saying they are getting tasers. They are buying them from a federal grant and will be issuing them to the CIP, DUI units and permenant midnight shifts first. As they get more Tprs will be issued one.

Must be nice, maybe will will got one since we follow FHP's policies. :lol:

07-22-2008, 02:14 AM
Just heard from a FHP CIP friend that they got an email saying they are getting tasers. They are buying them from a federal grant and will be issuing them to the CIP, DUI units and permenant midnight shifts first. As they get more Tprs will be issued one.

Must be nice, maybe will will got one since we follow FHP's policies. :lol:

dieselcop
07-22-2008, 12:06 PM
Ten hour shifts? Yuck! Anyway, the Trprs are voting on permanent shifts, which I think is great for them, since they rotate every month. In addition, they are thinking about ten hour shifts. It may not happen. A lot of these guys don't like change.

Why do we need tasers? That's another item I have to maintain. My trunk is full, including my front passenger and back seat.

Playing the Game
07-22-2008, 04:06 PM
Ten hour shifts? Yuck! Anyway, the Trprs are voting on permanent shifts, which I think is great for them, since they rotate every month. In addition, they are thinking about ten hour shifts. It may not happen. A lot of these guys don't like change.

Why do we need tasers? That's another item I have to maintain. My trunk is full, including my front passenger and back seat.

Ten hour shifts would be better. It would allow you to have 3 days off. It would also allow you to work the 5th day as OT and still have 2 days off with your family. As per DAD (Col David A. Dees) if we work 5 hours OT, thats like a 20% per raise.

I realize that a taser is not going to help you weigh trucks or get overdimensional cases, but I would take the taser if help me get home at night.

I could sit here and type a book but I will not take the time. Some us have to work these rotating 8 hour shifts, which with the 5 hours OT, that means I work a 9 hour shift, 5 days per week.

07-22-2008, 04:25 PM
Posted: 07/21/08 21:14:29 Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Must be nice, maybe will will got one since we follow FHP's policies.

Have heard the exact same thing. Would be all for ten hour shifts since thats what I work anyway. The 5th day is all overtime if I work it. As far as the taser goes I would not mind it, I think it would serve it's purpose.

07-22-2008, 05:38 PM
I'd rather have a 20% raise than work OT any day.

07-22-2008, 07:38 PM

All you have to do is work an extra five hours a week and a 20% raise is yours.. HAHA...

dieselcop
07-22-2008, 10:29 PM
Wait until you come up on your tenth hour, then you get the call for a post crash. Makes for a looooooong day. Eights for me. :D

Playing the Game
07-23-2008, 03:30 AM

Same here; the problem is people would not work OT or would not work all of the allowed OT, then the stats would go down because the hours worked would go down.

Why not give an incentive for all the certifications that most of us have, i.e. HAZMAT, cargo tank, motorcoach, post crash. Again, that would pay you more and you may not work as many OT hours, thereby reducing the numbers.

Its all about the numbers, not the pay.

07-24-2008, 02:14 PM
This dept is numbers drivin. With low moral Cpt's are being questioned why the numbers are so low. I know a few officers that have been questioned why their weights and safetys are down. A Cpt told me that they don't want to hear it's due to moral, and pay issues. Well what about promotions, theres no incintive when you promote outside the agency, officers FTO others, training cause no one wants to be an instructor, and just tired of working your arse off.

07-24-2008, 07:08 PM
Six pieces a day and that's all I do. Whether it's weights or safety, I don't care at this point. Yup, moral is down the tubes. We have a guy that just got off probation and now he's looking for a better paying job. Go fiqure.